micros

1st step--Find a place that is beautiful, historical or peaceful.

2nd step- Near that place look for a place that will hide a sandwich sized container.

3rd step-Sit down for a few minutes and see if the place you have selected has a nice view, calming effect or some historical value.

4th step-Decide it the site could support a small size container instead of a micro.

5th step-If you can't hid a small lock-n-lock container then find yourself a Fuji film can, waterproof match holder or something else waterproof of about the same size

6th step-Place a small rolled up piece of paper inside of the container you have selected.

7th step-Go back to your selected hiding place. Sit down and see if the site still provides you some peace, knowledge or comfort. If so take one last look to see if you could hid a larger container.

8th step-If you didn't enjoy sitting at the location again put the micro container back in your pocket and find a different place to hide it. If you did enjoy the location and don't see a bigger hiding place put the container in the intended hiding place.

9th step-Start taking some waypoints of your hiding place. Take a LOT of waypoints to average.

10th step-If you get bored taking waypoints and you aren't enjoying the location because it is pretty,

informative or soothing then pick up your container and find another place to put it. Otherwise head back to your computer and write up a cache page that tells me why you think the place is a Kodak Vista, what I am expected to learn or why it brings a smile of comfort to your face.

Edited by webscouter.

I am placing a micro geocache. I've never placed one before and I have not yet found one. I was wondering about what to put in it. What to use as a logbook? If any tradgin items should be put in?

Any advise would help... :lol:

If the cache is exposed to the elements then a quality container is a must. The geocaching store supplies excellent micro cache containers in several styles and they work very well to protect the log. A spiral bound notebook can often be cut down to fit a micro container, you end up with a few spirals holding a skinny notebook that can be retrieved or placed into the cache easily. An alternative is a log scroll, I use glue and attach the scroll to a skinny piece of bamboo skewer that sticks out the end a little bit, this stick makes it easy to roll the scroll up and retrieve it from the cache container.

Micro caches can vary in size and can hold trading items, albeit small ones. Micro geocoins often fit but the sleeve they are stored in usually doesn't. Pins make good trade items for a micro cache. I used a M&M's tube for one micro cache, the M&M container was completely protected from the weather so it worked. For trade items I placed coupons for a popular Canadian coffee shop, I actually placed them for cachers to take rather than as trade items.

Film canisters of any type do not work when the cache is exposed to the elements, they cannot protect the logbook. Exposed metal containers will rust regardless of the paint job you apply, Tremclad cannot protect a metal cache if it is exposed. Plastic containers from a variety of sources can work well. I use Body Shop containers that are all plastic. To make them waterproof I cut a circle of rubber that exactly fits the underside of the lid and then I glue it in place, when the cache is screwed shut the rubber acts as a good seal.

The key to any successful cache is forethought. Mother Nature is a vicious and unrelenting enemy when cache containers are the subject. If your hiding spot is well protected then you can get by with containers which might not work well in exposed locations but if your cache is exposed in any way then protecting the logbook properly is high priority. I have one multi cache which uses a total of seven micros at the first stage and they are all exposed to the elements, the micros need to be checked on a regular basis and as time goes by I have found that every poor quality container has failed completely. Micro caches are often hidden without trade items so that is not a large concern and the logbook or log scroll always warrants a little extra effort so that it is well suited to the cache container.

Have fun hiding your cache, it has been my experience that micro caches are most often found in locations where other cache types may not be suitable.

2nd step- Near that place look for a place that will hide a sandwich sized container.

3rd step-Sit down for a few minutes and see if the place you have selected has a nice view, calming effect or some historical value.

4th step-Decide it the site could support a small size container instead of a micro.

5th step-If you can't hid a small lock-n-lock container then find yourself a Fuji film can, waterproof match holder or something else waterproof of about the same size

6th step-Place a small rolled up piece of paper inside of the container you have selected.

7th step-Go back to your selected hiding place. Sit down and see if the site still provides you some peace, knowledge or comfort. If so take one last look to see if you could hid a larger container.

8th step-If you didn't enjoy sitting at the location again put the micro container back in your pocket and find a different place to hide it. If you did enjoy the location and don't see a bigger hiding place put the container in the intended hiding place.

9th step-Start taking some waypoints of your hiding place. Take a LOT of waypoints to average.

10th step-If you get bored taking waypoints and you aren't enjoying the location because it is pretty,

informative or soothing then pick up your container and find another place to put it. Otherwise head back to your computer and write up a cache page that tells me why you think the place is a Kodak Vista, what I am expected to learn or why it brings a smile of comfort to your face.

I wonder if we can turn this into a "Sticky." :lol:

Great post!!! :(

I wonder if we can turn this into a "Sticky." :(

Great post!!! :P

The OP actually asked some specific questions - I was wondering about what to put in it. What to use as a logbook? If any tradgin items should be put in?

You think that telling the OP to hide a sandwich sized container in a location preferred by the person offering advice is helpful? The advisor goes on to suggest using a film can, you think that is great?

Step one should read "Find a place where you want to hide a micro cache."

Now that deserves a sticky. :lol:

Edited by wavector

I agree with the second poster, go find some first. I see way too many geocachers who have only found a handful of caches and then they go around placing pretty lame or poorly placed micro caches.

If they are asking what type of containers, what to put in it, what kind of logs then they have no real knowledge of what should be done and asking questions on a board is not the way to get it.

Now, there is nothing that says they can't do that but I think they need to get some geo-experience under their belt which would help alot in placing their own cache.

Actually, if it was up to me I'd require a minimum number of finds (say 50) before someone would be allowed to place a cache, micro or otherwise. But, thats just my opinion.

Edited by Team LPD

I am placing a micro geocache. I've never placed one before and I have not yet found one. I was wondering about what to put in it. What to use as a logbook? If any tradgin items should be put in?

Any advise would help... :(

Hide your micro inside an ammo box. :lol:

Seriously, most micros I've seen either have a rolled up sheet of lined paper or a small spiral bound notepad cut to size for the logbook.

As far as what else to put in it, here are some things I've stocked my micros with:

ear rings and other small jewelery

pins (I use US flag pins a lot)

collectible coins like mercury dimes, Indian head pennies and buffalo nickels

foreign bills (folded up real small)

colored paper clips

fishing flies and small trout lures (with tape over the hook tips)

I wonder if we can turn this into a "Sticky." :(

Great post!!! :P

The OP actually asked some specific questions - I was wondering about what to put in it. What to use as a logbook? If any tradgin items should be put in?

You think that telling the OP to hide a sandwich sized container in a location preferred by the person offering advice is helpful? The advisor goes on to suggest using a film can, you think that is great?

Step one should read "Find a place where you want to hide a micro cache."

Now that deserves a sticky. :lol:

Step 5 and 6 answer the OP question pretty specifically.

I stated using a Fuji film can because they tend to work well where a Kodak can doesn't.

I also didn't have anything in it except the log because I think that anything else is needed. Outside of location a micro cache doesn't need anything else IMHO. If you can find room to put a small container then you have the option to add some trade items that won't cause the container to not close properly or shred the log when it is jammed back on top of the trade items.

If the location issue is addressed the micro can be a good hide and will stand alone with just a log.

Of course this is just my opinion and your mileage may vary. :P

I agree with the second poster, go find some first. .

I disagree. After a dozen or so micro finds he'll come away with the perception that a micro must be hidden in the most mundane areas possible. He may actually have some great ideas for cool micros. Why spoil that?

Edited by briansnat

I wonder if we can turn this into a "Sticky." :lol:

Great post!!! :(

I also agree that this is a great post. Please take it under advisement, without any addendums.

Can we quote this post enough? I truly believe this may be the post of the year on any geocaching website anywhere. I have seen way too many micros taking up space on the map where a really ingenious full size cache could have made more seekers truly glad they took up the sport.

I like a really clever micro- the kind that make me go "ah ha!" or "cute!' when I find it. I don't like spending a lot of time looking for a needle in a haystack so a micro should able to be found without too much searching. That can get boring after a while or result in an area that gets torn apart in the search process.

I like to use micros in some of my favorite small parks. These parks are often so well groomed that anything bigger would be easily found by the grounds crew or muggles.

Location and style of hide are pretty simple - hide them where and how you like to find them!

The smaller micros, smaller than a bison tube, are often called 'nano caches' and don't have room for anything but a log.

If your micro is big enough the things Briansnat suggested are cool. Pathtags and micro-coins will fit in key holders and film cans.

Gemstones are cool and fit in most micros - if you have a Cracker Barrel nearby they sell polished stones by the pound that are pretty. I saw someone at the MidWest GeoBash that used an engraving tool to etch their name on these small stones to use as a personal signature item. I don't know where they got them, but someone else gave me a small glass snail, again with their name engraved.

As with my hide them like you like to find them advice, put in them what you like to find in them!

As an aside, if you are thinking about using film cans contact a camera shop and ask if they have any of the 1970's era metal cans with the screw-on lids... mine have been out 3+ years, wrapped in fabric camo tape, laying on the ground, with no rust or leaks.

I disagree. After a dozen or so micro finds he'll come away with the perception that a micro must be hidden in the most mundane areas possible. He may actually have some great ideas for cool micros. Why spoil that?

I disagree.

If he actually has some great ideas for cool micros, the occasional mundane ones won't discourage him. If anything, they will ENcourage him to be more creative and entertaining with his first hide. That's what happened to me.

Besides, I don't agree with your premise that all micros are currently "hidden in the most mundane areas possible." That doesn't square with my own experience. It almost sounds like you're pushing your own personal-preference agenda on this newbie.

I, too, agree with the second poster: the OP should go find some caches first. He will get a real-world education about certain things he really needs to understand before he hides his first cache, things about weatherproofing, camouflage, container choice, hide styles, trade items, good coord marking, good hint writing, practicality of location, damage from enthusiastic cache hunters, security concerns, maintenance, etc, etc, etc.

"Why spoil that?" Why spoil the OP's chance to discover which types of caches he likes and dislikes, and then hide what he likes? Give the guy some credit – he doesn't need you or me to protect him from that which WE don't happen to enjoy. Let him find his own game. Isn't that what you would do if you were a relative newbie, Briansnat: hide what you enjoy finding? Don't you think he will come away with a much better idea of his own personal preferences once he has a few dozen smileys (and a handful of DNFs) under his belt?

To the Original Poster: I recommend that you:

(1) Get some substantial cache-finding experience before you hide your first cache. The more variety, the better. You may have assumptions or preconceived ideas about this game that none of us here are aware of, and therefore cannot help you with;

(2) Consider all of the advice that you read in this thread; and

(3) Click here to read the guidelines for reporting a cache.

(4) If the above three steps don't answer your specific questions, return to this thread. By then you'll have a better idea what you need to ask.

After that, see what you can come up with that is:

Practical:

Durable, weatherproof, adequately hidden to prevent accidental find by non-participant (muggle), not too inconvenient to maintain, etc.

--and--

Fun!

Creative, challenging, silly, startling, easy, beautiful, educational – or whatever it is you liked most about the caches you’ve already found.

Good luck! :laughing:

Location, location, location.

The 3 most important elements of any hide Micro or otherwise. Pick an area that you would be proud to show off to others. I always ask myself "Is it historic, educational, sceneic, little known, interesting, out of the way, got a good story - etc" - if I have a hard time answering that - I personally look for a new spot.

Also...

Use a water proof container if possible (something with a seal or o-ring).

Put the logbook or logsheet in a small ziploc if possible http://www.wnag.net/docs.htm

Put some small trinkets inside that fit comfortably. Foreign coins, pins, Dollar store items.

Camo the container to fit in the surroundings.

I disagree.

If he actually has some great ideas for cool micros, the occasional mundane ones won't discourage him. If anything, they will ENcourage him to be more creative and entertaining with his first hide. That's what happened to me.

Besides, I don't agree with your premise that all micros are currently "hidden in the most mundane areas possible." That doesn't square with my own experience. It almost sounds like you're pushing your own personal-preference agenda on this newbie.

I, too, agree with the second poster: the OP should go find some caches first. He will get a real-world education about certain things he really needs to understand before he hides his first cache, things about weatherproofing, camouflage, container choice, hide styles, trade items, good coord marking, good hint writing, practicality of location, damage from enthusiastic cache hunters, security concerns, maintenance, etc, etc, etc.

"Why spoil that?" Why spoil the OP's chance to discover which types of caches he likes and dislikes, and then hide what he likes? Give the guy some credit – he doesn't need you or me to protect him from that which WE don't happen to enjoy. Let him find his own game. Isn't that what you would do if you were a relative newbie, Briansnat: hide what you enjoy finding? Don't you think he will come away with a much better idea of his own personal preferences once he has a few dozen smileys (and a handful of DNFs) under his belt?

To the Original Poster: I recommend that you:

(1) Get some substantial cache-finding experience before you hide your first cache. The more variety, the better. You may have assumptions or preconceived ideas about this game that none of us here are aware of, and therefore cannot help you with;

(2) Consider all of the advice that you read in this thread; and

(3) Click here to read the guidelines for reporting a cache.

(4) If the above three steps don't answer your specific questions, return to this thread. By then you'll have a better idea what you need to ask.

After that, see what you can come up with that is:

Practical:

Durable, weatherproof, adequately hidden to prevent accidental find by non-participant (muggle), not too inconvenient to maintain, etc.

--and--

Fun!

Creative, challenging, silly, startling, easy, beautiful, educational – or whatever it is you liked most about the caches you’ve already found.

Good luck! :laughing:

I usually open up a thread with micro in the name thinking it might get 3 minutes of my time. Thanks to everyone for not only keeping it civil but for taking the time to give some very good advice to this new cacher. I'd only a few things to what has already been said:

Ask for recommendations for micros in your area and go seek at least 10 or 15 of those recommendations before you hide one. If you have a local board or organization, put a post up there asking for favorites. Be sure to state in your post why you want to know. The cachers in your area should really appreciate you doing this, instead of learning by doing. Who knows you might find someone that will take you caching and share their experiences first hand.

Seeking existing caches is by far the best way to experience what containers work or don't, how a good location can make a great cache, and your own experiences will spawn ideas. Actually, just seeking micros randomly may actually be counter productive if you are looking for good ideas for cammo, locations, or containers.

Although it is not a replacement for seeking well done micros yourself, you could also stop in here and look through the photos of very innovative cache containers.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

I wonder if we can turn this into a "Sticky." :blink:

Great post!!! <_<

I also agree that this is a great post. Please take it under advisement, without any addendums.

Ditto again! :huh:

For most of our micros we use the log found on the Hide and Seek a Cache Page. Look on the right side of the page where is says Micro Cache and download the 132 logs doc. Print it out, fold it up (or trim as needed) and put it inside a very small ziplock to keep it dry. As for where to find those small ziplocks, we suggest buying a few geocoins. :surprise:

The 132 logs doc seems to be out of order.

Edited by traildad

For most of our micros we use the log found on the Hide and Seek a Cache Page. Look on the right side of the page where is says Micro Cache and download the 132 logs doc. Print it out, fold it up (or trim as needed) and put it inside a very small ziplock to keep it dry. As for where to find those small ziplocks, we suggest buying a few geocoins. :mad:

The 132 logs doc seems to be out of order.

If the geocaching.com website is not functioning, try going to the micro logs section that you can download free of charge located at:

http://cachebox.110mb.com/logs/logsheet.html

Also listed are several other size of logs and Travel Bug passports. All free to download!

Edited by logonwheeler

Another vote for finding at least 20 before putting one out yourself.

As brainsnat alludes to, there's a lot of micros that are not good examples for you to pattern your first hide after. I'd suggest finding cacher in your area to ask for a little help. Look for someone who has not only found a lot of caches but understands how to filter them in an offline software program like GSAK. Ask your mentor for recommendations on micros and a little help in understanding how to filter caches.

The main thing is that you need to find micros that people like and then try to understand what they like about them. It usually boils down to a unique and clever container or a great location. The goal should be both.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

put paper in and then pace no toys or no coins that is the easyest thing to do

BOO-HISS.

If you want a lot of "found it" or TFTC* logs, this is exactly what you should do.

*Different ways people use for politely saying your cache was not special, bored me, or wasted my time.

You'll understand this a lot better after you seek out some micros for yourself.

I agree that finding a few is a good idea. One thing I would add is if it is either in a high muggle area, or in a area with an abundance of hiding spots then you should give a good hint.

A few times I have had to call it because I had no clue where to find it after hours of searching, or there were too many people to search unobtrusively. Either way, a good hint would have been a god send.

Looks like the OP learned this the hard way. New coords posted 124 feet away from original. Of course, I have to admit that the coords for my first cache sent the first finders more like a mile away (I fat-fingered the coords when creating the cache page).

I've since learned to use the satellite or arial maps to verify the coordinates before checking the box that says that the cache is in place & ready to go. This is important with any cache, but good coords are that much more important for a micro.