SWAG question

I'm preparing my first hide and I really want to do it right. I've collected some nice SWAG to fill it with.

My question is this:

As far as CD's go is it considered gauche if I place music that I've burned as opposed to store bought albums?

My question isn't about copyright law. It goes to quality of merchandise.

Edited by TopangaHiker

burnt CD's pose a threat of viruses. Some people may be afraid to open them, since you can't tell what the contents are until you put it in. Plus it's copyrighted, the RIAA might sue you!

If it is good music, i wouldn't hesitate to listen to it.

"One person's trash is another person's treasure"

That said, I'd love to find a music CD in a cache, even if it is a burned copy, to be able to discover new kinds of music that I might not otherwise know about. Viruses are overrated, by the way. I visited this cache (GC10C67) where I left behind a burned audio CD of my favorite CD at the time because I thought it fit within the theme of it. Not sure if anyone took it, but I hope someone does. It is good stuff :unsure:

Leave the burned CD(s). I would take one. Others may not, but that could happen with anything you leave anyway.

Sorry, but the issue is copyright law. Your cache will not be listed with contraband in it.

Oh no! I just let someone borrow my Harry Potter book and they read it without paying for it. I also left a Terps sticker in a cache recently and I don't own the logo. I took a sudoku puzzle from a cache that was published in a local newspaper and not designed by the cache owner. I scanned in the back of a Copag playing card for the background of my cache page and I don't own that pattern. Turn me in!

I say that in jest--don't take me the wrong way. Leaving *a* CD isn't that big of a deal. Mass producing hundreds of illegal CDs for a cache is a problem. Some may not see it this way, others may. Should I go back to that cache where I left the CD and recover it if it is still there? Oh, and I left a CD of NES ROMS in a cache as well so that is even worse.

burnt CD's pose a threat of viruses. Some people may be afraid to open them, since you can't tell what the contents are until you put it in. Plus it's copyrighted, the RIAA might sue you!

I've never heard of a virus that attacks your stereo.

I'm preparing my first hide and I really want to do it right. I've collected some nice SWAG to fill it with.

My question is this:

As far as CD's go is it considered gauche if I place music that I've burned as opposed to store bought albums?

I have probably 10 CD that I have burnt from sites that have non copyrighted music. The music was uploaded by the artists themselves as a sort of emerging artist thing trying to get their music heard by as many people as possible. I also have probably 200 MP3 files of old time radio shows that are public domain. I put a hundred of these files on a cd and drop them in caches. I also give them to non caching friends who seem to get a kick out of listening to the old radio shows.

There is also a site that has public domain movies such as the Bowery Boys, Bob Hope and Bing Crosby, The Little Rascals, WWII documentarys, and much more. I have been thinking about burning some of these on dvd to put in caches. This is material that I doubt you would even be able to buy on dvd now and unless a person has broadband you would be all day downloading one movie.

I don't know about quality of merchandise, but I think it is material people like and the average person wouldn't spend the time it takes to get some of this material.

I would only take a cd from a cache if it for sure a cd i really want.

For example, if it is some Nickelback crap then I would leave it, whether it is burned or not. If it is a modest mouse or built to spill album then i may consider it if its not one i already have.

Leaving *a* CD isn't that big of a deal.

every time someone burns a copy of my cd that's $10 i'll never have.

if you lend my cd to someone, that's fine as long as you don't create a second copy.

it is obvious that you either do not understand copyright law, or you hold yourself above it.

by the way, when i find bootleg cds in caches, i take them and destroy them. if i ever find a cache full of them, i will do the same.

My question is this:

My response is ALL is about copyright law, civility and ethics, whether you like that or not. I feel that distributing -- via a geocache or any other means -- home-burned CD aggregates of copyrighted music is not only a violation of copyright law, but a breach of common civility and of ethics. Your choice, if you choose to do so, but it tells us a lot about you and your worldview.

if you lend my cd to someone, that's fine as long as you don't create a second copy.

it is obvious that you either do not understand copyright law, or you hold yourself above it.

by the way, when i find bootleg cds in caches, i take them and destroy them. if i ever find a cache full of them, i will do the same.

Very well said! Three cheers! Thank you! I could not have said it better! :o:)

Legality issues aside.

I think it would be rare that people would share the same likes. I would love a bootleg of a European Cure concert, but i doubt any other local cachers would even find that remotely appealing. (To the best of my knowledge bootleg Cure recordings are legal.)

I have half-heartedly looked for those mini type CD-r to possibly use for caches. I'm not sure what i would put on them, but i was kind of interested. I haven't really seen them anywhere yet.

Edited by knight2000

i don't often reply to myself, so this is a little weird.

...but i wanted to say that i have no objection to bootlegs of dead concerts; it is a practice they encouraged. i also occasionally put out bootlegs of my own work. i have some recordings that were never intended for public release but are fun in a cache.

neither of these is a violation of the principles of intellectual property.

i saw an argument recently about the moral obligation to steal music (i think they called it ripping cds). these folks maintain that out of the purchase price of a cd, the artist only gets about $2, so we should protest by illegally sharing the cds, thereby depriving the big bad record companies of ill-gotten revene.

well, the $2 may not be a big enough cut, but that's the artist's income. it's bad reasoning to protect the artist's interests by depriving him of his pay.

if you rip a cd to keep in your car so you don't ruin the original, that's fair use. as soon as you distribute it to another person or persons regardless of whether or not you take payment, it is a violation of the law.

My response is ALL is about copyright law, civility and ethics, whether you like that or not. I feel that distributing -- via a geocache or any other means -- home-burned CD aggregates of copyrighted music is not only a violation of copyright law, but a breach of common civility and of ethics. Your choice, if you choose to do so, but it tells us a lot about you and your worldview.

You said it better than I could have.

I wouldn't take or leave a burned CD. Why would I want to add illegality to geocaching? I don't cache after hours in posted areas, I don't trespass when caching.

If I don't do other things that are illegal while caching why would I make an exception for burned CDs? It doesn't matter to me whether you personally find copyright laws bad or whatever. The fact is, it's illegal and therefore doesn't belong in a geocache. This seems pretty simple to me.

Oh no! I just let someone borrow my Harry Potter book and they read it without paying for it. I also left a Terps sticker in a cache recently and I don't own the logo. I took a sudoku puzzle from a cache that was published in a local newspaper and not designed by the cache owner. I scanned in the back of a Copag playing card for the background of my cache page and I don't own that pattern. Turn me in!

I say that in jest--don't take me the wrong way. Leaving *a* CD isn't that big of a deal. Mass producing hundreds of illegal CDs for a cache is a problem. Some may not see it this way, others may. Should I go back to that cache where I left the CD and recover it if it is still there? Oh, and I left a CD of NES ROMS in a cache as well so that is even worse.

I am not sure what the "jest" is here, because I think you are confusing legal and illegal activities and justifying the illegal ones by association. Are you choosing false examples to bolster your position or do you truly believe that the examples you gave support it?

You can loan someone your Harry Potter book because you haven't made a copy of it for them. If you scanned it and emailed it to them you would be breaking copyright laws.

You can put a Terps sticker in your cache because by acquiring it legally (and I am assuming you did acquire it legally, and that it was manufactured legally), you purchased the logo with the sticker and may do what you want with the sticker, logo and all.

You can put the sudoku puzzle in the cache because you purchased the paper which contained it. Unless you copied it and put the copy in.

Using the Copag playing card scan for your cache page background is indeed illegal, but with no profit motive behind your page you will most likely never be contacted about it.

Leaving *a* CD is indeed a big deal. Copying 100 CDs consists of copying 1 CD 100 times. Where exactly is the cutoff? 5 CDs? 10? 99? What is the difference between taking a pack of gum at the store or a case of gum? Which of those actions is ok?

It is common thought to think that we can steal things (and I am not blaming anyone who has posted here, just making a point) and feeling that we are "sticking it to the man", but it is impossible to really hurt a large corporation with behavior like that. They simply raise prices. The people who hurt are, like flask said, the people on the bottom of the food chain--in the case of CDs the artist is the loser. In the gum theft incident it is the store owner, or more likely, the consumer, who sees higher prices to help cover the shrinkage.

i don't often reply to myself, so this is a little weird.

...but i wanted to say that i have no objection to bootlegs of dead concerts; it is a practice they encouraged. i also occasionally put out bootlegs of my own work. i have some recordings that were never intended for public release but are fun in a cache.

neither of these is a violation of the principles of intellectual property.

i saw an argument recently about the moral obligation to steal music (i think they called it ripping cds). these folks maintain that out of the purchase price of a cd, the artist only gets about $2, so we should protest by illegally sharing the cds, thereby depriving the big bad record companies of ill-gotten revene.

well, the $2 may not be a big enough cut, but that's the artist's income. it's bad reasoning to protect the artist's interests by depriving him of his pay.

if you rip a cd to keep in your car so you don't ruin the original, that's fair use. as soon as you distribute it to another person or persons regardless of whether or not you take payment, it is a violation of the law.

If it is in fact your work, is it really a bootleg?

My question is this:

If it's copyrighted material... well, you've read all that stuff above so I won't rehash it.

But if it's bootlegs (those that are encouraged at least) or local bands that are cool with you getting them out there, go for it. As for the virus stuff, jeebus... don't people use CD players anymore??

If I found a mix CD, I'd grab it. It's a fun way to experience new music. And if I didn't like it, i'll drop it anohter cache for somebody else to try.

Legality issues aside.

I have half-heartedly looked for those mini type CD-r to possibly use for caches. I'm not sure what i would put on them, but i was kind of interested. I haven't really seen them anywhere yet.

You mean like these? Or these? You can buy them lots of places. Try Office Depot or Best Buy or Target or...........

There was a guy I used to work with and through our discussions, I found out that we might have a similar taste in music. I burned a CD of a particular artist that I love and gave it to him to try it out. He ended up liking it a lot, ending up buying a bunch of their CDs and got him interested in attending their concerts with me. I did this to share my interests--not to "stick it to the man", not to protest against the RIAA, not to steal music, not to screw the artists out of their fair share. I placed a burned CD in a cache for a similar reason, to hopefully share my interests with another cacher, maybe get someone liking it and maybe striking up a friendly conversation. I never thought I would strum up a lot of enemies instead.

Yes, I made an unauthorized copy. Yes, promotion is not an 'excuse'. I do not mass produce CDs, I do not share my music online, I do not let people rip my entire music collection. If someone likes a lot of what I have, great, they can go buy it for themselves. I do, and will continue to occasionally burn a CD from my collection to give to someone else. If you don't approve of that, fine. Don't do it yourself and don't take the copy I make. There are a lot of things I don't approve of that people do, but I don't get in their face about it. I really don't understand why everyone is so blood thirsty in these forums. Maybe this is the new internet.

Yes, it is a black and white argument and there is really no gray areas in the law in the case. But there is a point where it is harmless even though you may not agree with this. Should I finish the sudoku puzzles and find the caches or mark them as SBA for a copyright violation? Should I destroy all caches and travel bugs that I find that are in violation of the Groundspeak logo guidelines? That would be a little silly.

And there are actual cutoffs in the real world even if they don't strictly apply here. I won $20 in keno last year. Should I report that as income on my tax form? I won't. And the state doesn't care. But I guess I should? If I won $2000, that is a different story. Should I have put in a 1099 form in my cache for the FTF to fill out because I left a gift card? I know people who regularly run the state line to get cheaper cigarettes. If you get pulled over on the way back and they find a carton, they aren't going to say anything. A hundred cartons will get you in trouble.

I realize that nothing I have said here will validate anything. People will still call me a criminal for my actions. And, "it tells us a lot about you and your worldview" is quite judgmental there and unnecessary. I've known some people for years and still don't know a lot about them but apparently this one thread is enough to know a lot about me and the OP and our worldview? To disapprove and not agree is one thing, but why the need to get so feisty?

Did no body read what the original poster said... "My question isn't about copyright law. It goes to quality of merchandise."

To assume that it's a ripped CD is just that, an assumption. And more importantly not all music is copy written. There's plenty out there for public distribution. I'm in a band myself, if anyone wants to get the word out about my music, please do so.

But to answer the authors post, "My question isn't about copyright law. It goes to quality of merchandise.".. I think it's great, I'd grad it!

Other people may not, but whoever says if they found it they'd destroy the cd's??? Unless you find out whats on the CD and research it to see if it's copy written, you're just another muggle / geopocher destroying a cache.

Assuming all music is copy written is ignorant.

First of all it is a Copyright not write.

How am I as a Geocacher to know if it is a copyright ripped CD vs some local band distribution?

Second - the mere act of recording someting to cd/tape/computer creates an implied author copyright if it is original material.

Either way the recorded CD should be clearly lableled as to its content and copyright status. I still wouldn't take it - just on the chance it contained an illegal copy of something.

If it is in fact your work, is it really a bootleg?

sort of. some of the performances involve other musicians and although they were paid for their work, the recordings are still not intended for public release.

If I found a mix CD, I'd grab it. It's a fun way to experience new music. And if I didn't like it, i'll drop it anohter cache for somebody else to try.

i'd pick it up in a second, too. maybe write a pointy little note about it, and right into the trash.

How would you feel about a copy of my own bands demo cd.

It is self produced by some old f*rts who love to play the blues.

If it was labeled as such I'd probably trade for it if I had appropriate swag with me. :o

yep, i'd snap it up, too. i am very interested in original work.

There was a guy I used to work with and through our discussions, I found out that we might have a similar taste in music. I burned a CD of a particular artist that I love and gave it to him to try it out. He ended up liking it a lot, ending up buying a bunch of their CDs and got him interested in attending their concerts with me. I did this to share my interests--not to "stick it to the man", not to protest against the RIAA, not to steal music, not to screw the artists out of their fair share. I placed a burned CD in a cache for a similar reason, to hopefully share my interests with another cacher, maybe get someone liking it and maybe striking up a friendly conversation. I never thought I would strum up a lot of enemies instead.

(liberal snipping)

To disapprove and not agree is one thing, but why the need to get so feisty?

last year i went wild about the music of sufjan stevens. i wanted to introduce people to his work. i bought dozens of copies of two of his albums, and sent a bunch of people the album via itunes.

the neeed to get fiesty comes from my personal outrage with regard to my income and the income of other artists. for you it's not a big deal. that's the problem.

But to answer the authors post, "My question isn't about copyright law. It goes to quality of merchandise.".. I think it's great, I'd grad it!

Other people may not, but whoever says if they found it they'd destroy the cd's??? Unless you find out whats on the CD and research it to see if it's copy written, you're just another muggle / geopocher destroying a cache.

Assuming all music is copy written is ignorant.

the quality of merchandise in the case of illegally copied work is pretty poor.

if i destroy the cds (which i do), i do it after i know what's on it. i am not destroying a cache, but rather inappropriate contents, which is common and approved practice.

all music, original artwork, written word, and all oter intellectual property is copyrighted from the moment of inception. after a specific number of years, if the copyright is not renewed, it falls under public domain. new editions or arrangements of public domain music usually fall under new copyright.

if you take for instance, twinkle, twinkle, little star, in and of itself it falls very clearly under public domain. if an artist creates a new arrangement of it and makes a recording, it falls under copyright. and copyright protection is not restricted to professional artists or recording companies and publishing houses. everyone is protected under copyright, provided that the work is sustantially yours and that if you have used anyone else's material that you have license to do so either through contract, compulsory license, or public domain.

i am going to suggest that maybe the label of ignorance is improperly placed. don't feel bad; a lot of people have a hard time grasping the concept.

"Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages."

Since the OP said this was not a copyright issue, then I'm assuming we are talking about music that has been given permission by the artist to freely distribute. There's plenty of that type of music that is available.

As a sidenote, burned copyrighted music is clearly contrary to guidelines, since that would violate several layers of laws (local and otherwise).

Also, the music then should not have lyrics that are illicit or should not be heard by children, which is also contrary to the guidelines. Imagine the disappointment of a 4 year old picking out a CD then being told "no, you can't listen to this one" since it has foul language in the lyrics.

So, I'd be delighted to find some of this music and expand my palate if the music was within the bounds of the guidelines.

Also, the music then should not have lyrics that are illicit or should not be heard by children, which is also contrary to the guidelines. Imagine the disappointment of a 4 year old picking out a CD then being told "no, you can't listen to this one" since it has foul language in the lyrics.

So, I'd be delighted to find some of this music and expand my palate if the music was within the bounds of the guidelines.

can we put a fine point on this? much of my work is not suitable for children. there's no coarse language or violent or sexual content. there are no drug jokes. it just isn't suitable for kids. your little one would probably be quite bored with my work about illness, recovery, or bumper stickers. if your kid WANTED to keep listening, you'd have a lot to explain.

most of the time i don't place swag with small children in mind. there's some overlap in what kids like and what adults like, so that's to the good.

but it's your job to guide your child's choice to something he or she will enjoy.

(liberal snipping)

To disapprove and not agree is one thing, but why the need to get so feisty?

last year i went wild about the music of sufjan stevens. i wanted to introduce people to his work. i bought dozens of copies of two of his albums, and sent a bunch of people the album via itunes.

Too bad Sufjan Stevens didn't have as much respect for copyright when designing the cover for Illinoise.

the neeed to get fiesty comes from my personal outrage with regard to my income and the income of other artists. for you it's not a big deal. that's the problem.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I agree with it. However, I don't think that your approach is going to engender sympathy with your cause. For instance:

Do you follow every other law to the letter? Or do you hold yourself above those laws? It seems that you want to put Hose502 in the same class as Chinese software pirates. You leave him no other choice.

I do disagree with you on one point. I would not take illegally copied items from a cache. I believe that the traffic of that type of material is the business of the person who left it, the cache owner, and the holder of the copyright. I don't think that the traffic of illegally copied property in caches will materially affect the public perception of geocaching, since the volume is so very low and it seems that most people probably wouldn't bother in the first place.

With respect to the first poster's question:

Burning a track, scribbling something on there with a sharpie, and dumping it in a cache would be a fair trade for almost nothing, in my humble opinion. If you do a nice job labeling the CD and protect it from getting scratched, like with a slim jewel case, then it might be worth something. However, you should only do so with material for which you own the copyright or otherwise have permission.

I've never heard of a virus that attacks your stereo.

you can play music CDs on a computer. a lot of people would put it into there computer to either play it or to download onto a mp3 player. I wouldn't hesitate to play it on my computer, but there are people who would be scared to.

Edited by Red 07Z

I use itunes to download most of my music these days. In iTunes usage rules in terms of service it says

-You shall be authorized to use the Products only for personal, noncommercial use.

-You shall be authorised to burn an audio playlist up to seven times.

-You shall be entitled to export, burn (if applicable) or copy Products solely for personal, noncommercial use.

I'm thinking that when I burn a mix of my favorites and put it in a cache there is nothing wrong with that - it's not commercial use - it's more like sharing with a friend. What's the problem with that (especially when I've paid 99 cents for a song and they say I can copy it or burn the list up to seven times)??

If I see music in a cache that's appealing to me I'm going to take it. If I don't like it, I'll place it in the next cache I come across for someone else.

OK. This speaks to the original question regarding the quality of the swag.....

I once found a burned copy of Napoleon Dynamite in a cache. Not only was I appalled that someone had placed a blatantly illegal copy of a movie in a cache, I was even MORE appalled that anybody would waste a perfectly good blank DVD to burn that incredibly bad movie. I didn't remove it - although I should have done so as a CITO effort.

Edited by Thrak

I use itunes to download most of my music these days. In iTunes usage rules in terms of service it says

-You shall be authorized to use the Products only for personal, noncommercial use.

-You shall be entitled to export, burn (if applicable) or copy Products solely for personal, noncommercial use.

I'm thinking that when I burn a mix of my favorites and put it in a cache there is nothing wrong with that - it's not commercial use - it's more like sharing with a friend. What's the problem with that (especially when I've paid 99 cents for a song and they say I can copy it or burn the list up to seven times)??

If I see music in a cache that's appealing to me I'm going to take it. If I don't like it, I'll place it in the next cache I come across for someone else.

bolding mine. did you miss that part?

seven's your legal limit.

this is where i get snarky:

if you do not understand "personal", i want you to stay away from toothbrushes and underwear unless you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN they are yours. have someone who understands write your name on them.

Did you miss the part about personal use? As soon as you give it away it's not for your personal use.

if you do not understand "personal", i want you to stay away from toothbrushes and underwear unless you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN they are yours. have someone who understands write your name on them.

Wow, I better be really careful then. If someone is in my car that I work with, I better only listen to the radio because the CD is for my own personal use. I'll be sure not to listen to it in my house if someone not related is there, because it is for my own pesonal use . . . whatever!

Wow, I better be really careful then. If someone is in my car that I work with, I better only listen to the radio because the CD is for my own personal use. I'll be sure not to listen to it in my house if someone not related is there, because it is for my own pesonal use . . . whatever!

you can't really be that devoid of sense, can you?

tell me this is a joke... please.

all music, original artwork, written word, and all oter intellectual property is copyrighted from the moment of inception. after a specific number of years, if the copyright is not renewed, it falls under public domain. new editions or arrangements of public domain music usually fall under new copyright.

if you take for instance, twinkle, twinkle, little star, in and of itself it falls very clearly under public domain. if an artist creates a new arrangement of it and makes a recording, it falls under copyright. and copyright protection is not restricted to professional artists or recording companies and publishing houses. everyone is protected under copyright, provided that the work is sustantially yours and that if you have used anyone else's material that you have license to do so either through contract, compulsory license, or public domain.

i am going to suggest that maybe the label of ignorance is improperly placed. don't feel bad; a lot of people have a hard time grasping the concept.

Copyright :lol: laws expire after 95 or 75 years, depending when it was created, after that it becomes public domain. Or an artist CAN (and a lot do) renounce their copyright and give their music and lyrics to the public, thus becoming public domain. ... They don't have to be dead, and it doesn't have to be years down the road.

In any case public domain means you can preform, reproduce, record, or publish it and that includes burning cd's, either to give away or to sell.

Thats why I said "Assuming all music is copy written is ignorant." .....because ALL music is not.

I feel bad that this guys thread has be hijacked based on an assumption. But thanks for the spelling lesson.

I was even MORE appalled that anybody would waste a perfectly good blank DVD to burn that incredibly bad movie. I didn't remove it - although I should have done so as a CITO effort.

:)

It isnt for everyone but there are many people that like it. (Myself included!)

Well Thrak, you have a sweet bike. And you're really good at hooking up with chicks. Plus you're like the only guy at school who has a mustache.

:):lol:

Legality issues aside.

You mean like these? Or these? You can buy them lots of places. Try Office Depot or Best Buy or Target or...........

I wasnt sure if you could but them. I only have looked at Walmart since that is pretty much the only place i shop at. Walmart didn't have them. I guess we do go Target occasionally. I will look there.

I'm not sure what i would do with them but they seem like a neat size. No doubt, the larger ones are cheaper though.

Also- from Wiki- Lists of bands who allow recording their performances. Kind of surprised Metallica is on there though. :) I wonder is Lars knows... :lol:

but it's your job to guide your child's choice to something he or she will enjoy.

Agreed. I happen to take that job very seriously, and am constantly alert. Yet, that is not my point.

However, guidelines? Have you read them?

"Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages."

That sounds like all of our jobs if we partake in the pastime through this website.