MEMBERS ONLY CACHES

mimi0674

:rolleyes: I got an email today from a cacher who didnt like that I put all my caches in members only. I did that to give an incentive for propective cachers to join and also so there would be less public damage to my caches. I dont search for caches, I dedicate to leaving caches and maintaining them. Before I became a premium member I almost didnt because I didnt see any reason to because there wasnt any premium member only caches in my area. What do you think?

I believe it is your cache and you can do whatever you like with it as long as it is within Groundspeak's rules. I only have one cache out right now, but when I start planting my ammo boxes I will probably make then members only for the same reason you did. To lesson the chance of public damage to the caches.

:D I got an email today from a cacher who didnt like that I put all my caches in members only. I did that to give an incentive for propective cachers to join and also so there would be less public damage to my caches. I dont search for caches, I dedicate to leaving caches and maintaining them. Before I became a premium member I almost didnt because I didnt see any reason to because there wasnt any premium member only caches in my area. What do you think?

They are your caches. Do what you want with them. We typically put out ours as members only for the first few months. It is fun to see who is looking at them, and it gives paying members first shot at the cache, and the best swag. Membership does have its privileges :rolleyes: After the first few months, most, but not all are opened up to everyone.

I am not a premium cache member, and therefore can't access some of the caches. However, there are still many that I can do, and I appreciate that. There are tons and tons (and tons) of webpages that require money to see anything on the site, so I'm pretty grateful that so much is free on here. As long as there are still non-premium caches in the area, I don't see the problem. No need to be greedy! :rolleyes::D

What do you think?

My post was regarding MOC in general.

Not your caches in particular. Other posters are correct. It is your caches do what you would like. :rolleyes:

If certain areas need to be protected from too many visitors then i would think they wouldn't be good for hiding caches.

They are your caches. Do what you want with them. We typically put out ours as members only for the first few months. It is fun to see who is looking at them, and it gives paying members first shot at the cache, and the best swag. Membership does have its privileges :rolleyes: After the first few months, most, but not all are opened up to everyone.

I really like that idea, it is a good middle ground.

I am sure i am in the minority. I have read and participated in several threads about them. I can't really see a valid point for them. I don't want to exclude anyone.

simoncowell1hv2.jpg

:rolleyes: The more we get people to take interest in our website the better I think. The 3 dollars a month will help give us more benefits online.

:rolleyes: I got an email today from a cacher who didnt like that I put all my caches in members only. I did that to give an incentive for propective cachers to join and also so there would be less public damage to my caches. I dont search for caches, I dedicate to leaving caches and maintaining them. Before I became a premium member I almost didnt because I didnt see any reason to because there wasnt any premium member only caches in my area. What do you think?

Your good to go.

Kind of a mixed reaction from me.... I'm a premium member, but my kids are not... They often cache with me - even on the "members only" caches. Soo... when it's found.. they sign the log right along with my signature.. however, they're not able to log their finds... No biggie to me personally - because it's not *my* numbers.. and the kids and I get some great time together searching... But one of these days my 8 year old is gonna figure out that when we get home and I start logging the days finds.. that there's some missing from her profile's numbers... The other option that I've read from the other responses is to have an "initial period" of members only, then revert to regular cache at a later date.. that would then allow BeBop99 to log her finds that are made alongside me.

I say - it's your cache - do what you want with it...

ShadowHawk

Kind of a mixed reaction from me.... I'm a premium member, but my kids are not... They often cache with me - even on the "members only" caches. Soo... when it's found.. they sign the log right along with my signature.. however, they're not able to log their finds... <snip>

:D Uh . . . Psssst . . . There is a "back door" method that allows your non-PM family members to log the MOC caches . . . :rolleyes:;)

I think making a cache Members Only is a great idea to encourage people to join the site, and getting to see who is looking at the cache page is a nice perk as well. :D

I'm going to be honest with you. It's certainly your right to make your caches members only, but you may want to consider a couple of things.

First, I looked at the caches in your area on the map. You have over half the caches in one zip code, all MOCs. If I were a new geocacher, I couldn't read those cache pages or go find those caches. I wouldn't know if I liked caching enough to pay for the membership--so I'd feel discouraged from caching. It just doesn't feel very welcoming for someone in your immediate vicinity.

Secondly, there are some good reasons to place MOCs, but once you do, folks have raised expectations for those caches. You've put out 23 caches in one month; almost twice as many as you have found. You've made most of the mistakes that new cache hiders make, and hopefully you are learning from them. At least 10 of them have had problems with the coordinates, at least one was published incorrectly (switched with a second one perhaps pre-publication?), one is in a mayonaise jar, one is in a pickle jar that still smells of pickles, many of them are in sticker bushes, at least two of them have already been muggled, and at least two of them are in places that need a good CITO. No offense, they are probably just fine caches (you do have some fans already!), good for a smiley at least--but they aren't anything special apparently.

Your enthusiasm is wonderful! I just think you might want to save the MOC label for the special caches, though. I really don't mean to be harsh, and it is fantastic that you like to hide caches....but you want to build a good reputation with your community so they will think it is wonderful, too. You may want to slow down just a little bit, go find a few caches others have placed, and take a bit longer to place caches that will be enduring and meaningful.

I don't know what kind of GPS you are using to place your caches, but there is a way to average the coordinates so you can get better coords for your caches. Would you like to hear about that?

I'm going to be honest with you. It's certainly your right to make your caches members only, but you may want to consider a couple of things.

First, I looked at the caches in your area on the map. You have over half the caches in one zip code, all MOCs. If I were a new geocacher, I couldn't read those cache pages or go find those caches. I wouldn't know if I liked caching enough to pay for the membership--so I'd feel discouraged from caching. It just doesn't feel very welcoming for someone in your immediate vicinity.

Secondly, there are some good reasons to place MOCs, but once you do, folks have raised expectations for those caches. You've put out 23 caches in one month; almost twice as many as you have found. You've made most of the mistakes that new cache hiders make, and hopefully you are learning from them. At least 10 of them have had problems with the coordinates, at least one was published incorrectly (switched with a second one perhaps pre-publication?), one is in a mayonaise jar, one is in a pickle jar that still smells of pickles, many of them are in sticker bushes, at least two of them have already been muggled, and at least two of them are in places that need a good CITO. No offense, they are probably just fine caches (you do have some fans already!), good for a smiley at least--but they aren't anything special apparently.

Your enthusiasm is wonderful! I just think you might want to save the MOC label for the special caches, though. I really don't mean to be harsh, and it is fantastic that you like to hide caches....but you want to build a good reputation with your community so they will think it is wonderful, too. You may want to slow down just a little bit, go find a few caches others have placed, and take a bit longer to place caches that will be enduring and meaningful.

I don't know what kind of GPS you are using to place your caches, but there is a way to average the coordinates so you can get better coords for your caches. Would you like to hear about that?

Not all caches in my zipcode are mine. Im the only premium member only cache in the area. Theres plenty there that arent members only. I know cause thats how I started learning, with those.

Why are you being so NEGATIVE, I deal with reviewers all the time. They help me alot. I mentioned, I dont like searching for caches, I like leaving them with treasures and maintaining them. If you dont have anything nice to say, id say "Turn around and GO HOME" oh and coords are triangled. I have a lot of tree bounce and do the best I can. Your the type of cacher that %tch#$ all the time! Get a grip!

Why are you being so NEGATIVE, I deal with reviewers all the time. They help me alot. I mentioned, I dont like searching for caches, I like leaving them with treasures and maintaining them. If you dont have anything nice to say, id say "Turn around and GO HOME" oh and coords are triangled. I have a lot of tree bounce and do the best I can. Your the type of cacher that %tch#$ all the time! Get a grip!

God you got me HOT!!!! My CACHES ARE AWESOME! When I searched for caches I found mainly log only, what kids want to find only those? Not mine. I dont what gold you have been finding. Oh and none of mine have been muggled. I check them all the time. I do notice people arent trading even though.

Mimi, you asked for input and then complain when one is negative (and really, the negative post by Neos2 was constructive in nature). N2 is trying to help you!

There's a better way to get coords than to triangulate...I believe N2 offered a tip there. There are better containers than pickle and mayonaise jars (if those are glass, you should replace them ASAP). N2 never said ALL of the caches were yours, just that MANY were MOCs and restrict potential cachers from making up their minds about caching.

Lastly, why would you want to restrict cachers from finding your hides? I enjoy everyone that visits mine and have only made a few MOCs...and those were by mistake! Of course, I trrust my fellow cachers to be mostly honest and caring people (as I have learned that 99.999% ARE), therefore I don't worry too much about a CACHER muggling my hides...and most are careful with caches. Your reasoning doesn't really work here, the public is your problem NOT cachers!

They ARE your hides, just offering a bit of advice...you were asking for advice weren't you?

Your the type of cacher that %tch#$ all the time! Get a grip!

Who's the one that's %tch#$ing??? Slow down, relax and think about what others have said...unless you truly didn't want advice!

God you got me HOT!!!! My CACHES ARE AWESOME! When I searched for caches I found mainly log only, what kids want to find only those? Not mine. I dont what gold you have been finding. Oh and none of mine have been muggled. I check them all the time. I do notice people arent trading even though.

Nope, but most kids can't afford their own account either...do you think that kids want to be able to log their finds? You've already figured out what caches YOU like (regulars instead of micros), go from there!

As I said, these are your hides.

Nope, but most kids can't afford their own account either...do you think that kids want to be able to log their finds? You've already figured out what caches YOU like (regulars instead of micros), go from there!

As I said, these are your hides.

That is a good point. Remember that families can usually only afford one premium membership. The kids who have their own accounts and want to log online won't be able to.

There are many legit reasons for listing MOC caches. "Because I want to" is one of them. But you really should

examine your reasons for doing so. Do you really want to exclude a good portion of the geocaching public from your caches?

There are many legit reasons for listing MOC caches. "Because I want to" is one of them

Yes, "because I want to" is an excellent and sufficient reason to list a cache as MOC. It's a legitimate function of the website, feel free to use it. If anyone is having a problem with unfound MOC caches in their area, they can come up with Three Whole Dollars and to see and find them.