American Cacher Geocoin

Landsharkz

AC.jpg

We've had this coin in boxes here for a month now and it's finally time for the Big Day! Tomorrow these will be available on AmericanCacher.com. We will provide a direct link to the coin sale page tomorrow when the site is live.

We saved this new site launch until the day before Independence Day and to kick it off we have a shiny new coin to offer you.

There are 50 ACE editions (American Cacher Exclusive = ACE) which will be given as a thank you gift to the first 50 customers who make a $40+ purchase.

Specs: 45mm diameter, 3.5mm thickness, polished nickel, polished gold and polished copper. Features translucent paint with famous snippets from well known American speeches and quotes under the translucent paint. Take this coin out in the daylight to fully appreciate the translucent secrets hidden within! Photos do not do this coin justice :)

This coin has a custom prefix of AC (American Cacher) and a custom icon. 1151.gif

This coin is priced at $8.50.

Sorry we didn't reply earlier but the Canine Landshark dog.gif dragged us away on a 5km caching hike :) It's a stat here in Canada, so we tried to fit in more play and less work today :laughing:

Regarding the coin...it may be the Stars and Stripes, but we think you'll find this coin pretty original :laughing: . We love playing with translucent paint combined with hidden art and this time Chris lent his talent to the USA flag.

The trackable wording is on the edge of the coin so we could use the entire area on both sides for our art. (I have a hard time calling one side the 'back' on this coin).

We've been sending these American Cacher geocoins as gifts to our custom coin customers when we send their final shipment of coins and to some special folk. The response to the coin in hand has been extremely favourable :) . (Thanks Creacher!)

They're going on sale tomorrow morning at 9am PT. The coin will be limited, but not 'till the end of 2007. The copper will be the ACE and limited to 50 only. The polished gold will the be LE and the Polished Nickel the RE for a limited time if that makes sense. There will be more of the nickel than the gold. Final mintings of the polished gold and polished nickel available upon request at the end of the year.

BTW, we've never seen the 2006 Geocache America coin until you posted it now. See above note about the Stars and Stripes :laughing:

Thanks! Helen and Chris

Yea I am going to have to respectfully disagree. Looking at the two coins together they are clearly more alike than you are letting onto to. The icon itself is almost a copy, with an ever so slight change. At a 16X16 pixel, do you really think people will notice the suttle differences? I don't. I truly think anoyone being honest will admit there is a strong resemblance to the original coin.

I truly think anoyone being honest will admit there is a strong resemblance to the original coin.

I don't mind the coin because I think it's pretty. The wording underneath helps to distinguish it enough. But I would like to see the icon revamped into something that hasn't been used yet. Maybe a star shape that's USA flag color-filled perhaps? Just a suggestion Helen & Chris.

I truly think anoyone being honest will admit there is a strong resemblance to the original coin.

I don't mind the coin because I think it's pretty. The wording underneath helps to distinguish it enough. But I would like to see the icon revamped into something that hasn't been used yet. Maybe a star shape that's USA flag color-filled perhaps? Just a suggestion Helen & Chris.

Thank you for the comment on the icon AG. We'll certainly look at it, we don't want their to be any coinfusion :). We didn't go looking at other icons; we just designed one we thought would suit the coin.

Edited by Landsharkz

Yea I am going to have to respectfully disagree. Looking at the two coins together they are clearly more alike than you are letting onto to.

And how many ways do you suppose that there are to represent something rectangular on a round medium?

Howzabout if we take this in the spirit it was meant, and not bash someone's idea just cuz it's similar to another one?

Yea I am going to have to respectfully disagree. Looking at the two coins together they are clearly more alike than you are letting onto to.

And how many ways do you suppose that there are to represent something rectangular on a round medium?

Howzabout if we take this in the spirit it was meant, and not bash someone's idea just cuz it's similar to another one?

Lighten up. It's not bashing at all. It's my personal opinion, which I thought I was entitled to.

Let's just not pretend that we can't see any similarities between the two coins and that this is all made up to "bash" the coin. I didn't say it wasn't nice or anything of the sort. My only comments were that it is almost like another coin and the icon is almost identical. I guess you can't see that though.

Yes, it looks kind of the same, you should have made those red and white stripes go up and down perpendicular, and the stars should have been made into little daisies. Then it wouldn't look like the other flag.

:o

It's not safe to drink coffee and read the forums :o After wiping the coffee from his monitor Chris said he'll get right on it ;):D

But first.... for your viewing pleasure :D a new icon for the American CACHER ;) Geocoin!

icon32.gif

No paypal????

Guess it wasn't just me that had that reaction. :D

Other interesting bit was during the registration process, it wanted a 6 character ZIP code, instead of allowing the basic US 5 digit ZIP. So I put in the full ZIP+4, but still....

I placed the order using my CC, but definitely would have preferred PayPal as an option.

Your Order Number is: 19

Hopefully that means I snagged an ACE coin! :o

Edited by dflye

Had to cancel my order since PayPal isn't accepted. I no longer put coins on my credit cards. Only paypal funds. Oh well, no coins for me.

For the zipcode issue, I put a "." after the zip.

The zip was asking for a min of 6 characters and it should have been 5. We didn't realize that had been pre-set so we've now edited it to be 5.

I'd rather use Paypal, but didn't mind using a credit card this time. What I did mind was the $5.25 shipping for two coins. But, it sounds like the coins are awesome, so it may be worth it!

4BOWS: Chris is looking into this right now and we'll make sure to straighten this out with you.

AG/dflye: Paypal will be added within a day or so. It's taking a bit longer but it's on the top of our list.

Thank you for the honest feedback; we do appreciate it while we get this working the way we want it. We've turned on the "live help" for the moment if you want to contact us directly.

What I did mind was the $5.25 shipping for two coins. But, it sounds like the coins are awesome, so it may be worth it!

Yep I agree. My shipping was $6.25 for 5 coins. I figured since this was a US based site we would get US based shipping, but it seems the shipping is still Canadian pricing.

I'd rather use Paypal, but didn't mind using a credit card this time. What I did mind was the $5.25 shipping for two coins. But, it sounds like the coins are awesome, so it may be worth it!

That does seem a bit high. Mine was $6.25 but for 5 coins but still is more than I'm used to paying. Maybe still Canadian shipping costs?

Edited by LadyBee4T

We have changed the shipping module prices... we thought they were ok, but had a miscommunication. They should be more reasonable now. Sorry for that... we will be contacting purchasers who have paid the higher rate and will rectify the situation with each of them.

Again, thank you for your patience and feedback while we iron out the bugs.

Been thinking about responding here, so I suppose I'll just go ahead and indulge and shrug off the after-effects. First off, I've had nothing but good dealings with Landsharkz in the times I've been in contact with them, so I'd like to make it clear I've had no bad blood, nor do I wish to create any. But...there's something to be learned here, albeit awkwardly, about how there are occasions when a coin does in fact follow in the footsteps of another...intended or not.

I, for one, welcome any new product choice in this little hobby of ours. I'm all for variety. But I do prefer variety as opposed to repetition. Again, I'll make it clear that I'm in NO way stating that The American Cacher coin itself is repetitive, but it's quite clear that parts of this design are uncomfortably similar to the 2006 Geocache America coin that came out well over a year before.

I really want to make it painfully clear that I'm not calling sour grapes here, but I'm sure some will take it that way. So be it, I can't change that nor do I want to. What I'm trying to say is there's still plenty of ways to be original with a very common idea like "America" without using elements like the exact same phrase "This Land Is Your Land", and an undeniably similar icon proposed.

The icon was the first thing that struck me, and I'm honestly happy to see that's changed. Although I most certainly don't pretend to own the image of the American flag in a round shape, I did introduce that image first as an identifying tieback to a particular item. That's what an icon is. In fact, I was so conscious about stepping on the toes of USA Geocoins, that I designed Eric K a very unique icon (square eagle USA) that would help identify and differentiate HIS product. I felt obliged to do that as a common sense courtesy. I did not want the Geocache America 2006 coin to detract from the "legacy" of his coins, and I did that out of respect.

Maybe I'm crazy, or (more likely) just a horrible business person, but there's a little bit of that respect missing from this hobby lately. Call me "old school" in a sea of free enterprise.

I apologize to Landsharkz ahead of time for what will no doubt be taken as an insult, although that's not the intention. They're enthusiastic about creating coins, which relates back to the variety I mentioned before. But I'll still clarify that maybe a little research would have prevented any discomfort here. And if I come off as a jerk for speaking my mind, I'll accept that criticism and blame it on being American. We're not exactly known for being meek.

Look, to put this bluntly, I get overly patriotic at this time of year. Call it pride, call it respect, call it whatever...but I love my country, as flawed as it is at times. I'll go sit on a grassy hillside in the dark with my wife and kids this Wednesday night and watch them blow up the sky in rememberence of just those sentiments. Call me crazy, but I put a little bit of that same sentiment into that coin too. That's why I spoke up.

Placed order #27. Looks like they are going fast. Another "problem" with the website, It doesn't say what credit cards you can use. Just a thought.

Thank you CachingCoins.... the icons for Visa and Mastercard in the sidebar are now displayed on each page.

snip>

First off, I've had nothing but good dealings with Landsharkz in the times I've been in contact with them, so I'd like to make it clear I've had no bad blood, nor do I wish to create any.

Again, I'll make it clear that I'm in NO way stating that The American Cacher coin itself is repetitive, but it's quite clear that parts of this design are uncomfortably similar to the 2006 Geocache America coin that came out well over a year before.

I really want to make it painfully clear that I'm not calling sour grapes here, but I'm sure some will take it that way. So be it, I can't change that nor do I want to. What I'm trying to say is there's still plenty of ways to be original with a very common idea like "America" without using elements like the exact same phrase "This Land Is Your Land", and an undeniably similar icon proposed.

The icon was the first thing that struck me, and I'm honestly happy to see that's changed. Although I most certainly don't pretend to own the image of the American flag in a round shape, I did introduce that image first as an identifying tieback to a particular item. That's what an icon is. In fact, I was so conscious about stepping on the toes of USA Geocoins, that I designed Eric K a very unique icon (square eagle USA) that would help identify and differentiate HIS product. I felt obliged to do that as a common sense courtesy. I did not want the Geocache America 2006 coin to detract from the "legacy" of his coins, and I did that out of respect.

I apologize to Landsharkz ahead of time for what will no doubt be taken as an insult, although that's not the intention. They're enthusiastic about creating coins, which relates back to the variety I mentioned before. But I'll still clarify that maybe a little research would have prevented any discomfort here. And if I come off as a jerk for speaking my mind, I'll accept that criticism and blame it on being American. We're not exactly known for being meek.

We know an insult when we hear it :o and this isn't it. Please don't apologize for speaking your mind so very politely - that's more American than being a jerk.

We actually had the shipment of finished coins here in our hands back in early May, but decided to hold off releasing them. Other than the gifts we've sent out they've been sitting in our closet in WA State until now.

We didn't research the icon at all and we definately see room for improvement on our part when it comes to icons when it's such a common theme. Chris designed an image that suited the coin and we called it 'done'. We actually contemplated the eagle icon originally but decided to go with the flag in a round form in case anyone thought the eagle looked like a pigeon :D:D . It's no biggie to change the icon, in fact we appreciate the feedback and are totally cool with using the other image.

We certainly didn't know of the Geocache America 2006 coin before seeing it here and we do think that ours is very different - any similarities are a coincidence and are in no way intentional. We took the American flag, painted it translucent and then hid lots of text and images under it. We think that's actually pretty original use of the lovely flag ;) !

Enjoy your holiday tomorrow!

Even though the orders from the site are numbered, it's not indicative of the remaining stock of ACE copper coins. We've processed a few orders that were low value and our test orders before launch were counted too.

When the ACE copper are all gone, we'll put it on the Home Page very clearly.

My hat goes off to those who are able to have an adult discussion about potentially charged topics in a rational manner.

Opinions can be spoken without them being attacks. Kudos to you both.

Any chance of getting a close up of the coin to see the wording underneath the paint? Or do I have to order one to see that? :D

Yes, it looks kind of the same, you should have made those red and white stripes go up and down perpendicular, and the stars should have been made into little daisies. Then it wouldn't look like the other flag.

:laughing:

As Larry The Cable Guy would say, " I don't care who you are, that's funny right there! "

Had to cancel my order since PayPal isn't accepted. I no longer put coins on my credit cards. Only paypal funds. Oh well, no coins for me.

Paypal is now live, working, tested and available as a choice at the checkout :rolleyes: .

Regarding the higher shipping costs to the first few customers... we're re-running your orders with the new rate to find out the adjusted rate and we'll be in contact with you individually. Thank you for your patience while we iron out the wrinkles.

There are a few copper coins left but once the banner ad goes live on Groundspeak next week I expect they'll go fast.

Paypal is now live, working, tested and available as a choice at the checkout :rolleyes: .

Regarding the higher shipping costs to the first few customers... we're re-running your orders with the new rate to find out the adjusted rate and we'll be in contact with you individually. Thank you for your patience while we iron out the wrinkles.

There are a few copper coins left but once the banner ad goes live on Groundspeak next week I expect they'll go fast.

Sweet. Cart heald all my stuff and my order is now placed. Hope that means I get a copper :blink: