Is the site down?

Trail Buzzards

Yeah... I don't mind it going down on occasion, since it's such as massive, high-traffic site. It's to be expected, honestly. However, thanks to good old Murphy's Law, it seems to like going down when I only have a short period of time to log my caches. Methinks logging may have to be delayed until tomorrow for me :laughing:

> A site like this, as high traffic as it is should never go down so long as the systems were built correctly.

> Clusters of webservers, file servers, dbservers, redundant firewalls and redundant network paths should > be in place.

Groundspeak will send you the bill. :laughing:

Geocaching.com is not Google or Amazon. It has neither the requirement, nor (more importantly) the budget for 24/7/365 operations. My guess is that someone's cell phone has just rung and spoiled their Saturday afternoon.

> A site like this, as high traffic as it is should never go down so long as the systems were built correctly.

> Clusters of webservers, file servers, dbservers, redundant firewalls and redundant network paths should > be in place.

Groundspeak will send you the bill. :laughing:

Geocaching.com is not Google or Amazon. It has neither the requirement, nor (more importantly) the budget for 24/7/365 operations. My guess is that someone's cell phone has just rung and spoiled their Saturday afternoon.

They already send us a bill. It is called Premium Membership.

If someone's cell phone went off, they should be ashamed. Saturday and Sunday are their busiest days. I would expect they would have staff on site or certainly instantly available on the weekends.

Wow - I definately don't have that high of expectations. For $30 dollars a year I can live with a few bumps in the road.

My GSAK is updated and full of enough data to keep me busy for several days of no gc.com

For some reason the forums are more appealing than house work for me right now...

I am sure they will get it fixed or complete what they started as soon as possible.

Wow - I definately don't have that high of expectations. For $30 dollars a year I can live with a few bumps in the road.

My GSAK is updated and full of enough data to keep me busy for several days of no gc.com

For some reason the forums are more appealing than house work for me right now...

I am sure they will get it fixed or complete what they started as soon as possible.

Mulitpy $30 by the thousands of users worldwide, add in the charge for travel bug tags, unique icons, tracking numbers for coins, and logo'd material. I am sure Groundspeak is not doing this out of the kindness of their heart. They are running a profitable....and growing business.

I don't have that high of expectations either. Just saying that a reasonable assumption would be that someone would be immediately available on their busiest days.

I am sure they are doing the best they can. And working under pressure is never fun.

Could be worse. I was in the middle of poker game on pokerstars this week when their site went down. And that costs them a lot of money for every minute they are down.

I'm getting this error when I try to upload an image to a log I posted a few days ago:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Server Error in '/' Application.

General network error. Check your network documentation.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: General network error. Check your network documentation.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[sqlException: General network error. Check your network documentation.]

System.Data.SqlClient.ConnectionPool.GetConnection(Boolean& isInTransaction) +474

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionPoolManager.GetPooledConnection(SqlConnectionString options, Boolean& isInTransaction) +372

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +384

Groundspeak.Web.SqlData.SqlConnectionManager.FillDataSetSP(String StoredProc, ParameterList Params, Int32 Timeout, Database database) +116

Groundspeak.Web.SqlData.SqlWaypointController.GetLogData(Int64 LogID, WptDataSources DataSource, Boolean IsReadOnly) +290

Groundspeak.Web.GPX.WptLog..ctor(Int64 LogID, WptDataSources DataSource) +192

Geocaching.UI.ImageUploadPanel.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +1021

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +98

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +98

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +755

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300