How is your significant other when it come to Geocaching?

Basically how is your significant other when it comes to geocaching?, they jump right in and are forever your geocaching partner? Do they think its either stupid or insane? Share your experiences. I personally have a hard time finding a girl my age that is attractive and ready to get a little dirty and adventurous in search of a cache.

That can be a problem at any age. However there are many attractive women who cache. ( no.. I will not stick my foot in my mouth and name them...There are too many anyway!). I have been lucky enough to find a wonderful partner who enjoys caching together. Our 1st date was her 1st caching experience. Keep caching and go to events... You may be lucky and find someone who is already a cacher. GOOD LUCK!

I personally have a hard time finding a girl my age that is attractive and ready to get a little dirty and adventurous in search of a cache.

Start looking at the ugly ones.

I saw the Victoria's Secret models out caching. I couldn't believe it! They smiled at me and so I walked up to them.....then my darn alarm clock went off and woke me up... :blink: Edited by TrailGators

I personally have a hard time finding a girl my age that is attractive and ready to get a little dirty and adventurous in search of a cache.

My wife is an Iowa farm girl born and raised. She's out planting crops til midnight while I work a desk job. She doesn't cache but she's cool with me being a geo-geek. And if she was looking for somebody attractive she dam well wouldn't have married me.

Red keeps letting me go out and cache even when She can't go along.

She was there for the first find and was just as hooked as I was.

She tried to get out of a Bridal Shower so she could go with me today but was not able to pull it off.

One thing I have noticed is that I find caching a lot more entertaining when I have someone to share it with and to help me see past the obvious. Two minds are better then one when it comes to some of those little micros.

Logscaler

Thanks for the suggestion but no thanks, im going for all or nothing

I'm glad I didn't take that approach.

Sure, our child will be born near half muggle, but at least I married the girl of my dreams.

I'll take happiness over cachin' ANY day.

Thanks for the advice but no thanks, im going for all or nothing in this situation.

pffft...so is she.

I dont get what your trying to say there

BTW im just GOING for all or nothing, sure ill settle for happiness in a relationship. I dont literally mean i wont get involved with someone just because they are not into geocaching. However im not sure if I would stop geocaching just because a wife/girlfriend told me to/gave me an ultimatum

Edited by photonut13

Thanks for the advice but no thanks, im going for all or nothing in this situation.

pffft...so is she.

Yeah I know.

Most frogs have to ask for the kiss.

i have the feeling that you are insulting me in some way here

Perhaps. Do you think you're all that? Do you deserve an attractive woman who caches?

If so I'll apologize.

Edit: just grammer

Edited by BlueDeuce

pffft...so is she.

Yeah I know.

Most frogs have to ask for the kiss.

i have the feeling that you are insulting me in some way here

Perhaps. Do you think your all that? Or do you deserve an attractive woman who caches?

If so I'll apologize.

Im not sure i if i deserve anything i get in life however we can all have goals, realistic or not

Im not sure i if i deserve anything i get in life however we can all have goals, realistic or not

That's cool. I just don't want you to think your listing of qualifications have anything to do with reality. Nor should they.

edited for clarification.

Edited by BlueDeuce

That's cool. I just don't want you to think your listing of qualifications have anything to do with reality. Nor should they.

ok, i also want to add that everyones definition of attractive is different, when I say attractive I may not necessarily mean some Victoria secret girl, but maybe someone down to earth with average proportions, brown hair and a nice smile. Just something to think about. Also when i mentioned I had a hard time finding someone, that was mostly because of age (17-19 age range) at a age like mine in my late teens you just cant seem to get any girl interested in doing anythign outdoors or adventurous particularly geocaching.

Edited by photonut13

My wife usually doesn't go with me and my son (or me alone) when we do caches in our home area, but on trips and vacations she comes along and enjoys it. Sometimes she finds it before the rest of us.

Here's my experience. Last summer I had a summer intern with me. She was going to enter graduate school that fall. My job requires a fair amount of travel (day time) in my district. One day we were going to be in a small town and I saw that there was a cache in the local city park. It looked like it would be an easy one to do over the lunch hour. I told her about it and asked if she would be interested in finding it. Sure she said. I let her hold the GPSr and we followed the arrow. We had to make our own trail the last 200 feet or so through the woods. She liked it so much that we did several more lunch time caches through the summer.

Another example. I'm in a rock and fossil club and we had a recent field trip to look for fossils. I brought my GPSr along (but there were no caches in the area). A girl in the club asked how the GPSr was working and I showed her some of its features. I then talked about geocaching and she said that it sounded like fun, so maybe next field trip there might a cache or two in the area in the area to do.

So, see, there are girls that like geocaching. Just keep looking!

ok, i also want to add that everyones definition of attractive is different, when I say attractive I may not necessarily mean some Victoria secret girl, but maybe someone down to earth with average proportions, brown hair and a nice smile. Just something to think about. Also when i mentioned I had a hard time finding someone, that was mostly because of age (17-19 age range) at a age like mine in my late teens you just cant seem to get any girl interested in doing anythign outdoors or adventurous particularly geocaching.

I think you should go with the first girl who says yes.

:o

:blink:

:)

B)

Well, let's see...

She sure loves days like today when I round up all three puplets and go to the monthly event. It means she gets to sleep in. :blink:

She enjoys taking lots of pictures like on this one: GC7051 and using them for her scrapbooking addiction.

She even went out and found one without me while showing one of her friends how to use a GPSr. :)

So all in all, she enjoys it, but as much as I do, or maybe even the kids do.

My wife usually doesn't go with me and my son (or me alone) when we do caches in our home area, but on trips and vacations she comes along and enjoys it. Sometimes she finds it before the rest of us.

Here's my experience. Last summer I had a summer intern with me. She was going to enter graduate school that fall. My job requires a fair amount of travel (day time) in my district. One day we were going to be in a small town and I saw that there was a cache in the local city park. It looked like it would be an easy one to do over the lunch hour. I told her about it and asked if she would be interested in finding it. Sure she said. I let her hold the GPSr and we followed the arrow. We had to make our own trail the last 200 feet or so through the woods. She liked it so much that we did several more lunch time caches through the summer.

Another example. I'm in a rock and fossil club and we had a recent field trip to look for fossils. I brought my GPSr along (but there were no caches in the area). A girl in the club asked how the GPSr was working and I showed her some of its features. I then talked about geocaching and she said that it sounded like fun, so maybe next field trip there might a cache or two in the area in the area to do.

Keep in mind that lots of girls that age, especially the ones you probably find "physically attractive", probably feel (either personally or through peer-pressure) that it is "uncool" to be "dirty and adventurous" (OK maybe "adventurous" is actually supposed to be cool, but not in the outdoorsy, hiking kind of way, more like in the be stupid and break-the-law kind of way ). And are probably worried that being "dirty" will have an affect on all the "good looks" they work so hard on.

But before I sound insulting and superficial, I do have some good advice that relates to the above. Your profile says you are a student. Are you a high school or college student (and since you're from Canada, I mean what you more likely call "university")? If the former, I advise when the time comes if you are continuing on to higher education go to a very large college with lots of different people with different interests (because of what I say in the next sentence). If the latter (and hopefully in this sense your university is not very small), I imagine there must be some sort of hiking/outdoors/skiing or some sort of club that is of an interest that indirectly relates to geocaching you could join. Maybe you could introduce geocaching to a girl that interests you (since she already has an interest in a related activity) and make it a neat "first date" (or just a casual get-together that leads to a future date).

I went to a very technical oriented university that even today (since this was 20 years ago when it was even worse) has a male:female ratio of 3:1 and I can tell you that such clubs (the hiking club, the skiing club) had some very attractive women, and I don't mean on the inside either (no I didn't meet my wife there, but I did have dates).

As for your other question, we're pretty much equally gung-ho about caching so not an issue here. It was my wife's side of the family who started us into caching, so significant other issues wouldn't apply for me.

Good luck!!!!!!

That's sad to hear, I'm sorry :blink:

Edited by Ambrosia

Keep in mind that lots of girls that age, especially the ones you probably find "physically attractive", probably feel (either personally or through peer-pressure) that it is "uncool" to be "dirty and adventurous" (OK maybe "adventurous" is actually supposed to be cool, but not in the outdoorsy, hiking kind of way, more like in the be stupid and break-the-law kind of way ). And are probably worried that being "dirty" will have an affect on all the "good looks" they work so hard on.

But before I sound insulting and superficial, I do have some good advice that relates to the above. Your profile says you are a student. Are you a high school or college student (and since you're from Canada, I mean what you more likely call "university")? If the former, I advise when the time comes if you are continuing on to higher education go to a very large college with lots of different people with different interests (because of what I say in the next sentence). If the latter (and hopefully in this sense your university is not very small), I imagine there must be some sort of hiking/outdoors/skiing or some sort of club that is of an interest that indirectly relates to geocaching you could join. Maybe you could introduce geocaching to a girl that interests you (since she already has an interest in a related activity) and make it a neat "first date" (or just a casual get-together that leads to a future date).

I went to a very technical oriented university that even today (since this was 20 years ago when it was even worse) has a male:female ratio of 3:1 and I can tell you that such clubs (the hiking club, the skiing club) had some very attractive women, and I don't mean on the inside either (no I didn't meet my wife there, but I did have dates).

As for your other question, we're pretty much equally gung-ho about caching so not an issue here. It was my wife's side of the family who started us into caching, so significant other issues wouldn't apply for me.

Good luck!!!!!!

No, im a very academics oriented school, the least academic techy club we have is robotics and that sure isnt for me. So you can see my problem in that case. Also the thread was mostly created to just see how other people are doing with their significant others, don't forget to answer the question in the thread if you are going to give me advice on what to do (not directed at any particular poster).

Edited by photonut13

That's sad to hear, I'm sorry :blink:

Also the thread was mostly created to just see how other people are doing with their significant others, don't forget to answer the question in the thread if you are going to give me advice on what to do (not directed at any particular poster).

Well, I've already answered the OP so I'll take the time to give some advice.

When I was your age I had a loooong list of criteria of what I wanted in a woman. It kept me single for a very long time. I probably dodged the bullet of an early marriage followed by a late 20's early 30's divorce like so many of my friends had, but it took anothor one of your present lifetimes to realize what I know now.....

You CAN'T pick who you are going to love, but most importantly, you can't pick who is going to love YOU. If you find someone that loves YOU for just you then whether or not they have brown hair or enjoy geocaching makes no difference. You would be a total fool to pass up that chance, because of an "all or nothing" mindset. :)

One thing I've learned in the past few years, is that life is short. Enjoy every minute of it that you can, and be thankful for the blessings that you have. Appreciate the people that come into your life, because you never know what will happen tomorrow. When you have this perspective, then the "little" things don't seem as important, or alternatively, they can seem very important in a good way. I love my husband with all my heart, for all of the life we share together, even if he's not as thrilled with geocaching as I am.

Very interesting words, I have this to add so far, asides from physical attraction there is allways a common thing that bonds to people together, a pastime, a music interest, a common interest in movies, book etc etc. I have never seen a relationship where each person hated the interests of the other. There always has to be a common ground, and geocaching being one of the most important things to me right (family, school and work aside) now and probably for a long time to come I want that common interest to be geocaching, see where im coming from?

Very interesting words, I have this to add so far, asides from physical attraction there is allways a common thing that bonds to people together, a pastime, a music interest, a common interest in movies, book etc etc. I have never seen a relationship where each person hated the interests of the other. There always has to be a common ground, and geocaching being one of the most important things to me right (family, school and work aside) now and probably for a long time to come I want that common interest to be geocaching, see where im coming from?

I think that is the best. When two people share a common outlook on life and goals, they will be that much more happy together. The family that plays together, stays together. :blink:

I think the most important thing is respect and love between both the husband and the wife. If let's say the husband has an interest in something that the wife does not (like geocaching), then the wife should be happy for her husband and not diss his hobby or make him feel bad about doing it. Marriage should be a safe place where you don't feel that you're holding back a part of you (because your interests are a reflection of who you are and thus are you) because you worry how your spouse will take it. Some spouses, even when they don't "hate" geocaching, still instill an atmosphere of negativity, however slight. I think that it's very important that the wife (in our analogy) go with her husband sometimes caching. It can't hurt you! It's time spent together. But then of course, the opposite should then be true, the husband should do the same for his wife and her interests. This is just part of a healthy marriage.

Is that off topic? I'll stop now. :blink:

My wife will stay and keep looking 30 minutes after I declare it time to move on.

About 40% of my hides were her idea or put together by her.

She returns from Wal-Mart sometimes with a bag full of stuff - "good for geocaching".

Couldn't ask for any better than that!!! - I Love you dear!!!

:blink:

Basically how is your significant other when it comes to geocaching?, they jump right in and are forever your geocaching partner? Do they think its either stupid or insane? Share your experiences. I personally have a hard time finding a girl my age that is attractive and ready to get a little dirty and adventurous in search of a cache.

This is a good topic, thanks! I have been doing some thinking about Geocaching and relationships lately. In our caching circle, we've got a wide spectrum when it comes to partners in caching. We've got some who are truly into it equally and will work together on hides, get up at 3:00am for a FTF, spending hours together solving puzzles. This, of course is ideal. I consider those people lucky.

Then there's the Geocaching widows (haven't seen the reverse gender of this yet) that don't understand it at all. If they attend an event or gathering, it's very apparent that it was not their idea. The conversations seem to pass them over and a far away look on their faces is the norm. There's a few where caching is a real problem in their relationship and I've noted that they seem to migrate towards others like them at events. They are basically a group to steer clear of, especially if one of their partners caches with you.

My relationship is a tweener. My SIG-O is okay with hiking and will come with me on a weekend cache hunt if I am careful to select a trail that within her ability, not too steep, or hot. She does give searching a try but is always the first to give up. There's no way she would stay an extra day in a strange city to Geocache, as I love to do. I find that I really have to work at curbing behaviors that annoy non-cachers like driving down the road and pointing out cache locations or discussing some of the elaborate hides in detail that go through my mind. It's a constant compromise and we both work at it. I'm just glad that she supports me doing what I really enjoy.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

Me and my wife are complete opposites.Me a country boy and her a city girl.I wont get into all the differences.We celabrated our 25th annaversery last year at the hospital while our granddaughter came into this world.Because of my wifes health she cant walk very far but she goes caching with me.She has to she is the driver.She waits in the truck while I do the hiking.

Also the thread was mostly created to just see how other people are doing with their significant others,

Check here as well bud.

Link-a-rific.

I have no significant other(Which I'm sure is no surprise to some :blink: ),so I wish I could give you a report.

Trust me...I feel your pain with not finding a geobabe.At least they exist.Try finding one that wants traditional roles in todays world.Then you can feel my pain.All I can tell you is your best bet is the convert road.Find one that doesn't mind getting dirty and get er' hooked.

I have a friend who has been trying to get his girlfriend to go hiking with him. He likes to go hiking where he grew up. He was complaining that she toughs it out with him, but complains about going. One day we got together for a work related talk, and he and is significant other (SO) went with me service my caches.

My friend later reported that all his SO talks about now is caching. Now he complains that everywhere they go, she says… I bet there is a cache there. Otherwise she shows little interest. The thing is, she is into it and he is not.

We get together occasionally to complete some local finds. I look for the longer hikes (for him) and the finds for her. The thing is, all he has to do is tell her there is a cache at the end of a trail, give her a GPS and she is off.

My wife has gone with me, but she is not an outdoor enthusiast. She used to talk about camping in an RV park. I think my friend; doesn’t know how lucky he is. :blink:

My ex boyfriend, thought it was a waste of time! He likes taking walks but putting his hand up a bears

hiney didn't thill him! Said if I wanted to do it, that was fine. But he had better things to do.

Notice I said ex?

I am dating and am hoping to find a caching partner! I did find one guy that I told about geocaching. He went right out and bought a GPS. He's nice but 8 years younger then me.

I have a date next weekend and am going to ask him out caching!! Wish me luck that I find my prince caching partner!!

I guess I'm in the minority here like the other girls. I grew up an odd combination of girl scout and girly-girl. All of my friends and I were the "go camping/hiking/canoeing, then shower, and dress up pretty for a night on the town" types. I thought we were normal back when I was your age, but now I think we're not so common.

When I first heard about geocaching, I was really interested and my husband agreed to buy a GPS because he's a gadget geek. He's still not as outdoorsy as I am (he works outside and enjoys the air-conditioning when he gets home), but he'll geocache with me on the weekends if he has nothing else to do. We really enjoy it together when we're out of town. No matter where we go, he expects me to plan a few caches for the area and gets upset if I don't. Our little one LOVES caching and he and I go together quite often, sometimes bringing a friend of his along. My husband's hobby has always been cars, so I have come to enjoy that as well. In fact, I know more about cars than the average girl and I drag race for fun. So we both compromise and try to enjoy the other's hobby.

Interestingly, I got one of my girl friends hooked on caching. Our husbands are best friends, so they can do their guy thing while we cache. It works well. We have also made a couple of other female caching friends and we all get together to work on puzzles on occasion. We're all married to non-cachers. So don't worry, there are more guys who cache than girls, but there are lots of caching girls out there. And there are lots of girls who would cache but have never heard about it. I agree, making a convert is the way to go.

Lastly, the relationship is doomed if you date a girl who gives you an ultimatum about caching. If she can't at least let you do your hobby alone, she's NOT the one! Obviously, it's best if you can cache together, but she should at least support your habit in some way. There are much worse things you could be doing with your free time! :-)

my husband loves caching almost as much as I do. I get a little obsessed about it at times and he has to remind me "oh we really should get some groceries and/or mow the lawn". HAHA! :) I just don't see how food and a mown lawn are nearly as important as caching!!! Somebody explain that, please. :)

my biggest problem is my 5 year-old who claims he hates caching and throws a fit every time the subject is brought up. But he has a blast every time we go (except for one time when we couldn't find our way out of a briar-infested woods and it was getting dark). His constant whining and complaining really puts a damper on our caching fun. So we don't go nearly as much as we would like. We try whenever possible to find parks that have playgrounds, paved areas so he can bring his skates or bike, etc., to make it not so much "all about the cache". Sigh. hopefully the cache bug will bite him soon. :blink:

I don't want to sound preachy at all to the young man searching for a caching partner. So I'll do my best not to preach. B) If there is a girl you think you like, why not start out with a cache or two that wouldn't require her getting her hair messed up or trekking through mud? Get her hooked on a fun puzzle cache or a really easy but cool hide that you've found before. When you get to know someone you will develop interests together. She might find that she gets really hooked on caching. A lot of people look at my husband and I like we're insane when we describe caching to them. But if you take somebody on an entry level type but cool cache, a lot of times the lightbulb clicks on and they "get it". Oh, here's a thought: take her on a picnic in a nice park that happens to have a cache. I doubt any girl would say no to a picnic. i happened to get engaged on a picnic, in fact. :o

hey that reminds me, we've never cached that park yet...................

We hermit crabs love caching together. We will cache alone if the other is at work or otherwise busy, but going together is waaay better.

We have a lot of similarities when it comes to caching: we tend to like and dislike the same types of caches as each other, which is convenient when planning a set of caches to do. Neither of us minds getting dirty (that's what caching clothes are for!). We both enjoy hikes and climbs, even though neither of us is especially athletic. We both are severely lacking in social skills, so neither of us tends to drag the other to events that we don't want to go to. We both like to look through the cache containers and to trade, so we aren't generally in situations where one is impatient and wants to just sign the log and go while the other is sitting on the ground saying "ooh, look, a plastic frog!" We both like writing somewhat wordy logs.

Lots of caching couples meet while caching or at events, so it's not unusual for them to have similar interests. We are fortunate to be so caching-compatible, especially since we were together for more than 20 years before we ever heard of caching.

As far as appearances go, we are both quite average -- neither beautiful nor hideous. Which is perfect for caching -- we look so average that no one notices us; we are our own natural camouflage! :blink:

And if you do find a girl who enjoys caching, your opinion of her appearance might change dramatically. Once you see her in the woods or up a tree or on a rocky slope, with leaves in her hair and a smudge of mud across her forehead and a bit of blood on her knees, as she triumphantly holds up the ammo can and beams at you while saying "Found it!!" you will find that she is gorgeous. Trust me.