"Found it" date and TIME

WW.Wilma

I am wondering if Geocaching.com could change the "found it" setup so that the time of the find can be included. Sometimes a cache is found several times in one day. By including a time of day record, the actual order of the finds could be maintained. This is especially of interest for new caches. Sometimes the FTF (First to find) is not able to log his/her visit right away. And when he/she gets on the computer, somebody else logged a find before them. Sorry, if this issue has been addressed already. But I haven't seen it.

I'm not sure how other cachers keep track, but I don't bother keeping track of the time that I found a cache. How many people do you think would use this if it were available? I can't see Groundspeak requiring everyone to start keeping track of the exact time of the find, meaning that some default value would have to be entered for those that don't keep track. That would seem to decrease the value of the numbers, as you wouldn't know if the time entered was a default or actual value.

I'd guess that the only "value" would be for FtFers to make sure their log comes first. Is there anything else?

I've been keeping track of the time I've found every cache since sometime in 2004. I always post it in the first line of my log, along with the local timezone. I started doing it so that I could keep track of the order in which I made each find- basically, because it helps me get organized when I go to log dozens of caches after a busy trip.

Finding it and logging it are entirely different times. Which do you want? If it's finding it, it would require the finders input. If it is the time yoiu log it that you want, I don't see the value of it, as people sometimes log a find several days later.

Edited by Huntcliff

I rarely know the time I found something by the time I log it. I maybe have a rough idea (like around 2 or so) but not much more. I suppose I could look at the "calendar" function of my GPSr but I sometimes don't click found on it until well after the find and I accidently hit it sometimes before I find it.

Also, you have a huge history of logs and caches without that data. Hard to do anything about those. If it were to included it would need to be an optional field as I am sure many would not fill it out. And then it would not be all that useful.

I am wondering if Geocaching.com could change the "found it" setup so that the time of the find can be included. Sometimes a cache is found several times in one day. By including a time of day record, the actual order of the finds could be maintained. This is especially of interest for new caches. Sometimes the FTF (First to find) is not able to log his/her visit right away. And when he/she gets on the computer, somebody else logged a find before them. Sorry, if this issue has been addressed already. But I haven't seen it.

So where do you sort the logs where no time was recorded? By default, a time of 00:00:00 is going to sort before all the logs where a time was entered. So the "reward" you get for entering the time is having your log appear after those who didn't bother to enter a time.

I can't see any problems in adding a time-of-day field(assuming timezone local to the cache?), but what's to stop people from messing with it?

Anyway, this is most important for FTF, right?

Why not just add an option for the cache owner to 'arbitrate' or verify a FTF?

Or, set up a system of optional 'passcodes', so that when a cacher creates a new cache, he drops a FTF certificate with a codeword on it in the cache, and also inputs the codeword in a special field in the cache description.

Then, the first cacher who finds it takes the FTF certificate, and when logging the find afterwards, he types in the codeword, proving that he really was the first to find it.

I would like the option to add the time in a field. We always record our time in our personal logbook.

However, im sure at least some others do not. Adding that field as an optional- great. :o Adding it as mandatory is just going to tick people off. Unless they dont bother logging online at all- they wont care.

I can't see any problems in adding a time-of-day field(assuming timezone local to the cache?), but what's to stop people from messing with it?

Anyway, this is most important for FTF, right?

Why not just add an option for the cache owner to 'arbitrate' or verify a FTF?

Or, set up a system of optional 'passcodes', so that when a cacher creates a new cache, he drops a FTF certificate with a codeword on it in the cache, and also inputs the codeword in a special field in the cache description.

Then, the first cacher who finds it takes the FTF certificate, and when logging the find afterwards, he types in the codeword, proving that he really was the first to find it.

I don't see Groundspeak adding any coding that adds to the competitive nature of geocaching.

I am pretty sure that this has come up before and Jeremy was not in favor of it.

Every log is timestamped with the local time/date.

The date logged is a field that we currently stamp with whatever date the user put in there (but no time). I do plan to add an actual time to the log for folks who knew exactly when they logged the listing, but it will require adding the timezone that the listing was logged.

There are plans to add time/date that can be translated into GMT and shown correctly to users, but it is a complicated implementation.

regardless of timestamping logs, there's no way for the site to record the time of the find.

i'm habitually a few months (ok, many) behind in my logs. it's enough for me to get the right date on the online log.

if you want to accurately timestamp visits to the cache, you might consider a camera system.

I've been keeping track of the time I've found every cache since sometime in 2004. I always post it in the first line of my log, along with the local timezone. I started doing it so that I could keep track of the order in which I made each find- basically, because it helps me get organized when I go to log dozens of caches after a busy trip.

DITTO. I started doing this to try to help pinpoint the time caches had been plundered by a cache pirate who was operating here in Phoenix... back in '03 I think. Sometimes it's interesting to see by how much you missed another visitor.

We seldom (never) have FTF disputes, since everyone knows it doesn't matter anyway. If there is a prize and you get there first, you claim it!

I do keep track of the cache name, date and time found, and Waypoint ID in an excel spreadsheet with entries made at the time of finding. This allows me to be aware of any milestones I may be passing.

I am pretty sure that this has come up before and Jeremy was not in favor of it.
Every log is timestamped with the local time/date.

The date logged is a field that we currently stamp with whatever date the user put in there (but no time). I do plan to add an actual time to the log for folks who knew exactly when they logged the listing, but it will require adding the timezone that the listing was logged.

There are plans to add time/date that can be translated into GMT and shown correctly to users, but it is a complicated implementation.

My mistake. (Do I still get half a point for remembering that the conversation happened?)

Do you know the time of each of your finds? I sometimes don't log my finds for a few days and it's sometimes hard enough to remember which order especially when I made 60 finds in that time period. If timestamping was implemented I probably would just use the default 12:00am or whatever it would be. And perhaps some people would abuse a timestamp that they can set so as to appear to be FTF...

Well that's all a lie, I do know exactly the order of every one of my finds, but do not know what time any of them were done. My EasyGPS database of all my finds has simple ordering for each day, i.e. 12:00, 12:30, 1:00, 1:30...

Time of the find adds alot of unnecessary space in the database and would be used some but not alot - in order to save cost I feel each person could log there own time - instead of increasing the space and processing cost. Remember all new data's carried in the system slows things down. You also don't want the logger to have to enter information cause someone else wants to see it. I try to remember to enter the time in the cache log as well. That doesn't help remember very well when I am logging the Internet 2 days later, Especially if I found 5 caches that day. Now I am guessing at the time. I personally want the system as fast as possible so I can look and go.