What are you packing? - THE BASICS

This post is going to date me. My wife is an REI supervisor and she laughs at my gear, BUT I love it. Except for the shoes it has all lasted me 20+ years. Kelty was the premium gear in the 80's and I spared no expense.

Here are my basics:

Shoes: Vasque Sundowner Summit GTX - Size 11.

Pack: Kelty Cirque-R Radial frame pack equipped with the optional on pack Rubber Ducky rain gear. (It looks like a space suit with the rubber ducky deployed.)

Tent: Kelty windfoil ultralight (it's supposed to be a 2 man tent, but I'm guessing those 2 would have to be life partners.) :ph34r:

Sleeping Bag: Kelty Silver Streak 0 Bag

Padding: Therm-a-rest (God's gift to backpackers)

Stove: MSR Whisperlite

Cookware: MSR XPD kit

Water Filter: Katadyn

NOW....... Walking stick, trekking poles, or nuthin?

For me it's the good 'ol 3rd leg. 6 feet of red cedar. I wouldn't dream of taking a horse step without it. See:55dc4675-af6b-4291-81ce-ef0c48caa232.jpg

Well..... What are you packin'?

Edited by Snoogans

Tent: Kelty windfoil ultralight (it's supposed to be a 2 man tent, but I'm guessing those 2 would have to be life partners.) :)

:ph34r::P:D:P

Reminds me of my old green canvas pup tent dad got for free with some boxes of bolts from an add in the paper.Dang thing was so short you had to remember to get in the middle otherwise your feet'd be wet during a rain.I remember think this would suck if I had to share this thing with someone.I spent many a night out in the woods (About 100 yards from the house) in that bugger.I still got it and probably will still use it,although it weighs a metric ton. :)

About six years after that I found myself in one again during boot camp,only there was no luxury of being by myself. :D

I gave up tents entirely last year, and go with a Hennessy Hammock. Kind of the next generation of jungle hammocks. two and a half pounds, comfortable as can be, and has kept me dry through some really nasty weather.

hennessy.jpg

You must not do many mountain passes. I doubt that hammock would be much use here:

rock.JPG

This isn't actually a picture of mine, but I have camped at that lake a couple times. That's Summit Lake at 12,000+ feet near Mono Pass. Notice it's wellll above treeline. :(

Edited by Snoogans

wow^ kinda looks like Mars :(

since becoming a responsible working adult I get precious few times I can go out packing overnight on my own. Mostly weekends to go out to Valley of Fire, or Mt. Charleston, or a few odd places out in the Desert to get small hikes in.

I recently started using hiking pole (not poles yet) to help take the strain off my cracked knee. So far I got a cheap set of hiking poles from Wallywart® we'll see how they hold up before I go buy a $75 set

Edited by Gnome^

<snip>

I recently started using hiking pole (not poles yet) to help take the strain off my cracked knee. So far I got a cheap set of hiking poles from Wallywart® we'll see how they hold up before I go buy a $75 set

Go for the good ones. I've got as pair of Leki Makalu's I won't hike without. The difference they have made in easing the shock on my knees has added a lot of distance and enjoyment to the walk. Even a good hiking stick (which is a lot cheaper) will help, but the springs in the Leki's also help relieve the impact and fatigue on my shoulders on decent.

I'll second the recommendation for the Leki's. I have the Super Makalus and love them. The anti-shock system is fantastic. I wasn't sure how often I'd use them initially, but now I wouldn't think of doing any type of elevation gain without them, especially for a tricky descent. They are great for stream crossings too.

Best thing is their life time warranty. And their customer service is top notch. My husband borrowed one of my poles and didn't take the tip cover off before using it. I asked Leki where I could purchase replacement covers because I couldn't find them locally, and they sent me a dozen for free. Good thing since a few weeks later one of my friends borrowed one of my poles when we were doing some serious up and down, and she did the same thing with the tip cover. Anyway, it's a small thing, but it was still really cool of them to do that.

And needless to say, my husband now has his own pair of Leki's, and my friend will be purchasing her own pair.

Here is what I have:

Stoves: 2 MSR Whisperlites, 1 Coleman Peak 1, 1 MSR Pocket Rocket . I mostly use a Whisperlite but will bring the pocket rocket or Peak 1 if I need a stove that will simmer

Backpacking Tents: Sierra Designs Sirus 2, LL Bean #2 Dome, Mountainsmith Sattelite (1 person) and a 3 person Walrus that I don't recall the model.

The LL Bean Dome served me well for many years but I recently retired it in favor of the Sirus, which weighs half what the Bean does. We take the Sirus if it's just me and the wife.

If I'm going solo or with a large group and my potential tent mates suffer from flatulence and snoring I take 1 person Sattelite. If the weather is nice it's great for bug free sleeping under the stars.

If our daughter is along we take the Walrus. Now that she is 17 that ain't happening anymore.

Pack: Just picked up a Gregory Whitney and am looking forward to using it. For the past 10 years I had a Dana Design Longbed. I just sold it to some backcountry biologist in Idaho. I prefer internal frames and the Longbed was a frame pack, so I never really took a shine to it. Before that I had a North Face Snow Leopard (Most comfortable pack I ever owned) and a Mountansmith Elite 5000. My wife has a Kelty Woman's Tioga. We also still have my first pack, a Camptrails Catskill internal frame in the basement as a loaner.

Boots: LL Bean Cresta Hikes

Sleeping bag: Kelty 0 degree, a Slumberjack 20 degree and for summer I have a bag that has two different sides. One is like a sheet and the other is a thin, Thinsulate insulated side. If it's really hot the sheet side goes up and if it's a bit cooler the insulated side goes on top. I forget who makes it.

back pads: Several Thermarests and a Ridge Rest

Cookware: Some lightweight nested aluminum pots and pans, brand unknown. This is what I bring most of the time. They are dented, blackened and even have the scrape marks from porcupines chewing on them.

I also have an MSR Alpine stainless steel cook set, but its a bit heavier and stays home unless I need bigger pots or am cooking for a larger group.

And we have a "backpacker's kitchen". A zipper bag with lexan utensils, collapsible spatula and ladle, a small egg beater, steel wool, small Nalgene bottles for soap (Dr. Bronners), olive oil and spices.

The wife and I both drink out of an insulated, double wall steel cup.

Water filter: Pur (Now Katadyn) Hiker

Comfort items: Thermarest chair converters. Converts our Thermarests into comfy camp chairs. Would not leave home without them. They weigh less than a pound but are worth their weight in gold.

Trekking poles: Komperdell anti shock.

Some other things that may, or may not come along depending on the trip, weather, attendees, etc...

Moss Parawing (now made by MSR)

Coleman Peak 1 backpackers lantern

lightweight hammock

Edited by briansnat

Shoes: Merrel Reflex. They stick to everything and felt broken in right out of the box. If they only had a bit more ankle support ...

Pack:

Long trips: Kelty Super Tioga. Swallows up all the gear and food I need and always feels perfectly balanced.

Day trips: Mountainsmith Approach

Tent:

Backpacking: Eureka Zeus 2 LE

Camping: Coleman 10'x10' Sundome

Sleeping Bag:

Winter: Coleman Peak 1 Zero degree bag

Three Season: Kelty something-or-other. It keeps me warm.

Padding: Therm-a-rest

Stove:

Backpacking Jetboil, Coleman Apex II,

Camping: Coleman 3 burner propane stove.

Cookware:

Backpacking: a standard grade mess kit

Camping: Cast iron skillet, dutch oven ... depends on what the menu requires

Water Filter: don't have a regular one yet. Use tablets right now if I need them.

Old school gear? Some of it is, but it still works fine and I'm OK with it's weight.

I gave up tents entirely last year, and go with a Hennessy Hammock. Kind of the next generation of jungle hammocks. two and a half pounds, comfortable as can be, and has kept me dry through some really nasty weather.

You have piqued my curiosity on these hammocks. I am about to pull the trigger on getting one for my son and me. I have a quick question though for those that are using hammocks, where do you put your backpack when sleeping? Especially if it is raining.

I just spent the weekend backpacking with the Scouts and I still have a sore neck, the thought of a nice soft hammock to sleep in sounds very appealing.

You have piqued my curiosity on these hammocks. I am about to pull the trigger on getting one for my son and me. I have a quick question though for those that are using hammocks, where do you put your backpack when sleeping? Especially if it is raining.

I just spent the weekend backpacking with the Scouts and I still have a sore neck, the thought of a nice soft hammock to sleep in sounds very appealing.

A lot of people just put them directly under their hammock.

There's a fair bit of information on them at nwhikers.net. I'd link you directly to a search for 'hammock', but their linkage doesn't work like that at 7:49 in the morning. (i.e. I'm too lazy to figure out if it's possible to link you to a search or not.)

I'm looking for a lightweight solo tent.

Does anyone have any experience with this tent?

Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 1 Tent

652611.jpg

Also available is the MSR Hubba.

1015162.jpg

The price is the same, $250, but it weighs slightly more. The '06 version of the Hubba is on sale at REI Outlet for $168.

There was some conversation re: the BA Seedhouse on nwhikers.net recently... it may have been w/i another thread...

Yes it was (ice on the fly), and it was inconsequential.

There was an entire 3-post thread on the SL1 in March. (Woo.)

There's more info within other posts. Much having to do with some condensation issues, and some snags in the noseeum fabric. If you haven't already, search there on seedhouse.

I can tell you I'm pretty happy with my MSR Hubba Hubba which is the next size up, but the set up is essentially the same. Easy.

It takes about 5 minutes to set up. The entire segment support system is bungee connected together so there is no accidental loss of a crucial part. The tent floor is tub style so things won't sweep out so easy and I was left with the impression water won't just trickle its way in either.

The tent and poles together has this locking mechanism to keep the poles and tent together in the advent of a high wind keeping it very sturdy. The way the poles split out at each end and the T at top, helps to maximize the room inside the tent by holding the walls as vertical as possible.

The door takes up the entire side which facilitates in the ease of getting in and out with smooth operating zippers. This was especially nice considering my size and need for instant relief in the middle of the night when the temperature fluxuates just enough.

There is a small loop inside at the peak to hang a small lantern for an overhead light at night. It handled my candle lantern quite nicely.

Breakdown is just as easy although it takes a little getting used to pulling the segments apart from the tent and fly and then folding the poles in their most compact form.

I didn't experience any condensation problems inside the tent. The design allows for lots of ventilation even with the fly completely zippered closed.

As you can see in the first picture below, the fly completely covers the tent past the lip of the tub floor to ensure rain will not drip in.

3575fe21-3b38-47d6-bd5b-818832109c34.jpg

I'm 6' and you can see the peak of the tent will provide for good headroom when sitting inside it.

6acda36a-0fae-481a-8297-2a7d2172fd25.jpg

A few years ago, I got a Black Diamond Lighthouse tent and really like it. Unlike most tents, it doesn't have that chemical scent, because it is not treated with flame-retarded chemicals.

I got a footprint for it from a seller on eBay who cuts Tyvek to the exact size you specify.

Oooh, that's cool. And you can even smoke it in a pinch!

... seriously though, my 4-midget tent smells noxious. I should return it for that reason alone.

Thanks for the tent link. Tyvek-guy linky?!

michelle

p.s. did the kitty come with the tent?

Edited by CurmudgeonlyGal

A few years ago, I got a Black Diamond Lighthouse tent and really like it. Unlike most tents, it doesn't have that chemical scent, because it is not treated with flame-retarded chemicals.

I got a footprint for it from a seller on eBay who cuts Tyvek to the exact size you specify.

Oooh, that's cool. And you can even smoke it in a pinch!

... seriously though, my 4-midget tent smells noxious. I should return it for that reason alone.

Thanks for the tent link. Tyvek-guy linky?!

michelle

p.s. did the kitty come with the tent?

I actually sent a tent back to Campmor because the odor was so obnoxious. Seems strange to go camping to get out in fresh air and then spend eight hours sleeping inside a tent replete with toxic fumes . . . :(

The Tyvek footprint I got doesn't have the writing on it like this does. When I got it, it was stiff, but I just put it in my washer and it came out nice and soft and it works great, although I haven't been camping for a whle now . . . :anicute:

As curmudgenlygal mentioned, the rain fly makes a pretty solid dry footprint around the hammock. I tend to use a serious rauncover on the pack (made it from an old poncho and bungee elastic) though, and I'll generally suspend it in a nearby tree or such. Just paranoid, I guess.

The price is the same, $250, but it weighs slightly more. The '06 version of the Hubba is on sale at REI Outlet for $168.

Check out the Mountainsmith Sattelite I mentioned earlier. It's not something you'd want to spend a rainy afternoon in, but if you just want it for sleeping, it's fine.

For a similar tent, I'm also selling this guy. Very lightweight (2 1/2 lbs). You can sleep bug free under the stars and if it starts to rain you can pull the fly over without leaving your sleeping bag.

I just paid $25 for new aluminum poles, so for that plus shipping it's yours.

172_7267.jpg

172_7273.jpg

Check out the Mountainsmith Sattelite I mentioned earlier. It's not something you'd want to spend a rainy afternoon in, but if you just want it for sleeping, it's fine.

For a similar tent, I'm also selling this guy. Very lightweight (2 1/2 lbs). You can sleep bug free under the stars and if it starts to rain you can pull the fly over without leaving your sleeping bag.

Wow, thanks for the offer! I guess I should have specified ‘free standing’ as well. Unfortunately, pushing a peg into the ground isn’t always an option around here.

Shoes: Teva Terra-Fi Sandals for extremely difficult terrain, or Barefoot for the other 80% of the time!

Pack: Mountainsmith internal frame. I got this for my son when he was in scouts. Since he quit, I adjusted it to fit me and am happy with it. Not sure what specific model/size it is.

Tent: Kelty Gunnison 2. I also have an Eagles Nest Outfitters (ENO) single-nest hammock that I'm looking forward to trying. I still need to buy a tarp for it. Lots smaller and lighter than my tent!

Sleeping Bag: L.L. Bean 20 degree bag

Padding: Egg crate roll-up padding from Walmart.

Stove: Homemade Pepsi Can stove

Cookware: GSI Bugaboo pots

Water Filter: Katadyn Vario

Walking stick: Homemade stick made from a mop handle. I made it back during my days as a Cub Scout Den Leader. I might consider upgrading to the lighter "Leki-like" poles at some point but for now it works quite well.

Edited by Shiraz-mataz

Shoes: various Trail Runners, I like the Asics, but I am looking for a pair with a little more padding and stability in the sole.

Pack: Go-Lite Speed Pack

Tent: I switched to the Hennesy Ultralight Hammock, and YES you can use it above treeline. With a few simple modifications and a little paracord, you can “pitch” the hammock with a low profile using your hiking poles and viola’ instant hammock-tent. There were several examples on Sgt. Rock’s website of improvised hammock setups they are using in Iraq.

Sleeping Bag: Montbell #2 Super Stretch

Padding: Thermarest Prolite 4W Short

Fuel: Gas Line Antifreeze (Yellow Bottle only – not Red)

Cookware: Tinman’s Antigravitygear Kitchen Set-up

Water Filter: Aqua Mira

Trekking Poles: Leki Makula’s (on sale last year from Campmor) NEVER leave home without them

My typical hiking trip is usually four days and I can usually hit the trail with a dry base weight of around 10lbs. Adding the weight of 4 days worth of food, fuel, and other assorted hiking junk (that I can’t live without) puts me in the 23-25 lb. range for total pack weight.

72def634-44b4-4978-bb40-f79b40156f0e.jpg

South of Las Vegas, near Laughlin, NV last year.

GC3BC7 - Crapped Out, I'm going caching.

Spirit Mountain Petroglyphs

This location is one of my TOP 5 all-time Favorite caches.

Fabulous Hiking!!!!!!!!! and the views are spectacular.

As far as light solo tents go, I just purchased a spinnaker tarp from gossamer gear. With ti stakes this baby weighs nothing and takes up zero space in the pack. Easy to pitch. Need a groundcloth? Tyvek! Sweet stuff, just don't pitch in torential. silicon and mineral spirits will waterproof some of your lightweight gear too. GO CHEAP, guys! Camping w/ luxery items is an oxymoron.

Wow, thanks for the offer! I guess I should have specified 'free standing' as well. Unfortunately, pushing a peg into the ground isn't always an option around here.

My Kelty is very similar to that one. You don't need to always peg it. I carry two 50ft. cords and I often have to use them to anchor my tent on rocky surfaces or places where the ground is too loose to hold a stake real well. It's quite easy and just as stable as using a stake if not more so in some places.

Shoes: I just retired my beloved Ecco Receptors, so this weekend will be the first "real" hike with my new Lowa Renegades.

Pack: REI UL65 for most hikes, with a REI flash Pack inside for trips from camp.

Tent: I used to carry a bigger Kelty, but last year I switched to an REI Camp Dome2 and love it. Just the right size, light enough and double doors with good ventilation.

Sleeping Bag: Mt. Nebo Grizzly for the really cold nights, REI Slumbersack most of the time.

Padding: Thermarest XL with seat conversion thing (highly recommended)

Stove: MSR Pocket Rocket and a little coleman lantern top that uses the same fuel if we need area light.

Cookware: MSR Blacklite

Water Filter: Katadyn xstream, but I am buying either a Vario or Hiker Pro tonight.

Walking stick: REI single pole with monopod for camera, but after talking to several people I am really leaning toward trekking poles.

I just realized how much of the stuff I carry comes from REI, I never meant for that to happen, but as I have replaced or upgraded things, that is where I have been shopping. Funny, I used to laugh at people whose tents matched their backpacks, etc. I guess it is either a testimony to their stuff or a sad commentary on me getting stuck in my ways as I get older. In all fairness, they are one of two shops for decent gear in my area, and they are closer to my home.

ee421cd9-b616-4a5d-9850-e8cc8359bae1.jpg

Edited by Monkeybrad

That's an awesome picture!

I just realized how much of the stuff I carry comes from REI...

I know the feeling well. I feel like a spokesperson for them sometimes with all my gear. I used to shop 3 or 4 brick and mortar stores and several Internet stores, but as time has gone on, I find I can get just about everything (with a few exceptions) I need from REI.

Thanks, it is a great camping area at Big Laurel Falls, about 4 miles in. We use it as a basecamp for visits to Virgin Falls. Virgin Falls is incredible, a stream that flows out of a cave runs 75 feet then falls 110 feet into another cave and disappears. It is really stunning to see falls of this size, with no stream leading to or from them. There are pics on the link.

The Laurel Falls are where we camp also has an awesome cave to camp in behind the falls, but I save it for times when it is raining.

Last summer's Sierra 14K packing trip was 4 year FTF, Split Mtn. GC8510

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/95275e...6b28f48738a.jpg

Ranboze and I both carried Gregory Z packs, 3 lbs 3500 cubes, similar to http://www.rei.com/product/745907

Think this is the Gregory just bought for teen daughter's Girl Scout hike: http://www.rei.com/product/745908

I also ultrapack with an Osprey Atmos 35, 2.5 lbs 2500 cubes, http://www.rei.com/product/721425

and long dayhike with Camelback Rim Runner, 100 oz 2.5 lbs 1500 cubes, http://www.rei.com/product/721425

With the last REI dividend, I got a Marmot Hydrogen sleeping bag, 30 degree 1.3 lbs, http://www.rei.com/product/731788

My other bags are the North Face Snowshoe, 10 degree, and Cat's Meow, 25 degree, http://www.rei.com/product/746449

My shelters are the Black Diamond Lighthouse Bivy, 0.95 person 1.6 lb, http://www.rei.com/product/712536

Sierra Designs Baku, 1 person 3 lb, http://www.rei.com/product/732062

Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight, 1.95 person 4 lb, http://www.rei.com/product/718457

Sierra Designs Comet, 2.95 person 8 lb; the 3-pole version of this: http://www.rei.com/product/667728

Edited by bthomas

Shoes: Teva Terra-Fi Sandals for extremely difficult terrain, or Barefoot for the other 80% of the time!

Pack: Mountainsmith internal frame. I got this for my son when he was in scouts. Since he quit, I adjusted it to fit me and am happy with it. Not sure what specific model/size it is.

Tent: Kelty Gunnison 2. I also have an Eagles Nest Outfitters (ENO) single-nest hammock that I'm looking forward to trying. I still need to buy a tarp for it. Lots smaller and lighter than my tent!

Walking stick: Homemade stick made from a mop handle. I made it back during my days as a Cub Scout Den Leader. I might consider upgrading to the lighter "Leki-like" poles at some point but for now it works quite well.

I'd like to hear more about your stove, a pepsi can?

Hey DumbassJake. check out the thread in this section on camping stoves and read thru the thread, there are several links given on how to make them. I may even try one myself soon.

Like AndrewRJ said, there are several links with instructions on how to make the Pepsi can stoves. But I thought the really cool thing about my particular setup was the titanium burner/pot stand and windscreen. I took a series of photos showing how the whole thing breaks down to fit inside my pot. When I tried to upload the photos to the forum I discovered that they had to already have a URL and that I could not load them directly from my hard drive. It weighs so little I have to put rocks in the pot to keep it from floating away!!! ;) Keep an eye on that other thread and I will find some way to upload the photos...

Like AndrewRJ said, there are several links with instructions on how to make the Pepsi can stoves. But I thought the really cool thing about my particular setup was the titanium burner/pot stand and windscreen. I took a series of photos showing how the whole thing breaks down to fit inside my pot. When I tried to upload the photos to the forum I discovered that they had to already have a URL and that I could not load them directly from my hard drive. It weighs so little I have to put rocks in the pot to keep it from floating away!!! :D Keep an eye on that other thread and I will find some way to upload the photos...

You can upload the photos to your profile which is what most people do...

Edit profile --> scroll down to the "Virtual You" section and over on the right, click on the change/edit link under either "Your Avatar" or "Your Photo" and upload your pictures there.

Once they're there, you can click on the photo itself and then you'll have the linky which will take one directly to your picture.

michelle

It's very rare that I get to go backpacking these days with my youngest at one of the worst ages of all for backpacking. She is three and weighs 35 pounds.

Here is my current configuration:

ttallmodels07_1.jpg

Tent: Shires Tarptent Rainshadow sleeps three 2.5 pounds

Pack: Highly modified REI morning star 1 pound 15 ounces

Sleeping bag: Campmore Down 20° 1 pound 8 ounces

Sleeping pad" untested pro-lite 13 ounces

Kitchen

Kitchen total= 7 oz

can stove .75 oz YACC stove

pot .25 oz Heineken can pot

Pot Cozy 1 oz Home made

Wind screen .5 oz

matches .5 oz strike anywhere in plastic container

Spoon .7 oz ti spoon

Sea to Summit 1.4 oz Food Bag

Bowl

Bowl cozy

Swedish Match

On my last backpacking trip I was out for three nights and my starting

packweight including food and stove fuel but not water was 26 pounds. That

was a bit heavy because I had my stupid 3 pound bear can.

Well..... What are you packin'?

Pack

Osprey Atmos 50

Shelter

Henry Shires Tarptent Cloudburst 2

tyvek groundsheet

Sleeping

Big Agnes Insulated Air Core

homemade down backpacking quilt 20 deg rating

Thermarest stuff sack pillow

Cooking

Primus Alpine micro or supercat alcohol

Primus litech tea kettle or GSI hard anodized cookset

Footwear

Asolo TPS 520 GTX

Vasque Breeze XCR

Merrell Stretch Chameleon II

Poles

EMS Mountaineer AS Lite (rebadged Komperdells)

"The Big Three"

pack: Mountainsmith Auspex

boots: Scarpa SL M3

tent: either a Hennessey Hammock or Eureka Solitaire (but Im in the market for a 4 season tent now)

sleeping bag: Kelty Light Year 3D 25º (synthetic)

cooking:

MSR Whisperlite

Primus MFS

MSR Blacklite gourmet

sticks: Black Diamond Contour trekking poles

water: katadyn guide

On me:

Feet: Northface Hedgehog trail runners (Goretex lined)

Socks: Merino Wool

Shorts: Lightweight Northface trail runners

Top: GoLite lightweight shirt

Head: Bandana

Eyes: Oakley Half Jackets

Core Gear:

Pack: GoLite Lite-Speed Pack (cant think of the name)

Bag: GoLite Feather Bag

Underpad: Therm-A-Rest 3 3/4 lenght

Shelter: Integral Designs Silwing Tarp

Stove: MRS Pocket Rocket or Alcohol Redbull contraption

Pot/Spork: Snowpeak Titanium .70L Pot and Ti Spork

Water: Katadyn Hiker Pro and Nalgine soft bladder thing

Knife: Mini 1 inch blade Swiss Army

Plus a few little things, 100% deet, sunscrene/chapstick, mini firstaid, head lamp, lightweight bug mask, map, trecking poles, GPS and compas... mini bic lighter.

Ohh and as for other clothes I usually just bring my rain jacket and one pair extra socks. Someting a thermal layer if it threatens to get cold.

Pack: REI Blue one (10 years old...similar to the REI MArs)

Tent: Kelty Domelite (When i worked at The Sportsman's Guide we got samples...best $40 I spent on camping gear!)...i am looking into the hennessy hammocks

Bag: cheap coleman :) (NEED to upgrade!!!)

Water: Katadyn Pocket Filter

Stove: coleman dual-fuel (want to upgrade SOON!)

cookset: MSR Alpine (classic??? guide???...it's about 15 years old)

Pad: therm-a-rest something large

anything else for the basics???

I'm in the process of changing to a hammock system. My new sleep system will be an ENO Doublenest Hammock, Black cat tarp, Potomac underquilt, and my current Slumberjack 30 degree bag. I will be trading my current pad for the underquilt so the system over all will way about the same or less, but be far less bulky and easier to pack. As for concerns about using the hammock when there are no trees, my tarp can be pitched on the ground using a hiking stick. If the entire trip was above tree level I may leave the hammock at home and pack my sleep pad.

My current gear is as follows:

Two night + pack - Camp Trails Wind River 5900ci pack (Yes, it weighs 8 pounds and can be overkill but I'm a big guy and it was cheap)

Overnight pack - Kelty Whitney 1900ci pack

Shoes - Some cheap pair of Gore-tex boots I found at a local shop. They are broken in and comfortable.

Socks - Thorlos Stage 3 Backpacking/Trekker Socks. Being a big guy it was the best $17 I've ever spent on my feet.

Sock liners - Coolmax or Polypro sock liners, blisters be gone.

Tent - Eureka Solitaire

Ground Cloth(When needed) - Emergency blanket

Sleeping Bag - Slumberjack 30 degree bag

Sleeping Pad - Ozark trail self inflating sleep pad

Stove - MSR Pocket Rocket

Cookware - Snowpeak 600ml titanium cup or cheap aluminum scout style kit

Utensils - Big cheap plastic spoon

Water Filter - Katadyn hiker pro

Walking sticks - I carry two collapsible hiking poles. I tend to use one on even terrain and only use two for rockier or steeper areas.

GPS - Garmin 60csx

Maps and compass (Any one remember those)