How do you get them?

drock2

PLEASE READ I WILL TRY TO STICK TO THE POINT The infamous icon! I am a newbie, but I want to face this fact. I enjoy looking at users profiles to see there icons, but I have also noticed that some have a lot logged as a discovery. I have heard that this an event pratice but in some profile's this does not appear to be the case (I am not here to place judgement merly to explore the possibilities of how I would like to pursue my quest in this fantastic sport) I have many questions about this matter but I am not sure if I can cover them in one thread. I posted a recent tread that got moved to the TB forum but it did'nt go where I expected it to. If this veers to another thread and you post a new one (or no of another one) please feel free to e-mail or post a reply to such as I a merly looking for opinions and info

Thank you

If I like the coin I see at an event I will discover it. Sometimes if I see one in a cache that has a different objective from where I am heading I will discover it. Then other times I will pick it up from the cache and move it along to another one. I guess it all depends on personal preference. Everyone chooses how they want to play this game and you now have that same choice.

At an event, if the cacher is showing off their binder or collection, they expect others to "discover". They enjoy seeing the eyes light up on the ones discovering. Also, please try to ask if they mind you discovering their coin. They show their collection off to share the "icon", :P

At an event, if the cacher is showing off their binder or collection, they expect others to "discover". They enjoy seeing the eyes light up on the ones discovering. Also, please try to ask if they mind you discovering their coin. They show their collection off to share the "icon", :P

Don't generalize because I totally disagree! I have covered the tracking numbers on my geocoins exactly for the opposite reason. Let the icon 'hos get there fix someplace else. Grab it, move it, log it or let it be.

I personally don't like getting the lists of coins to discover at an event. I've had people ask for a list of my coins that they want to discover & that wasn't even at an event. I just don't like to do that. The only time I discover a coin is if I find it, but can't move it for some reason. :P

I haven't been to an event so that hasn't been an issue for me. I don't feel much interest in logging a bunch of numbers off a list. However I discover every bug or coin I find in a cache if I do not move it. I like having a list of all the trackables I have come across. I can go to my profile and it is a history of everything. I can easily look to see what ever happened to that coin or TB that I left in that cache. Did it make it to it's goal? Did it win the race? I do also enjoy the icons that come with the coins. I will never have hundreds of thousands of cache finds or TB logs or discover logs so it isn't really about the numbers on a stat sheet. I really just like having the ability to look and see, whenever I get that "what ever happened to" feeling.

Different strokes for different folks. It's often said, but there is no ONE right way to play the game. Some folks discover coins at events, others discover coins (and/or TBs ?!) in caches. Some only log coins that they move.

I have a bunch of coins in the wild, and I don't really care which of the three is done as long as my coin is free to move toward its goal. I'd rather it be discovered than stuck in someone's caching bag.

Personally, I prefer to log only those coins which I move. (And, I ignore paper copies in caches.) My son usually discovers my coins and logs those we move from cache to cache.

At an event, if the cacher is showing off their binder or collection, they expect others to "discover". They enjoy seeing the eyes light up on the ones discovering. Also, please try to ask if they mind you discovering their coin. They show their collection off to share the "icon", :huh:

Don't generalize because I totally disagree! I have covered the tracking numbers on my geocoins exactly for the opposite reason. Let the icon 'hos get there fix someplace else. Grab it, move it, log it or let it be.

I am not trying to generalize (I try to respect the goals of coins and bugs and try to abide by them ) and apparently I see your take ,which is what I want. Would you feel the same way if I discovered, didn't move it , but still helped it on it's goal (ie. pics)

As an earlier reply mentioned about providing a list to those at events? Not my style...if you want to "discover" my coins, then you will have to spend the time to write those tracking numbers yourself...you strain your eyes...I had to in order to get Act Codes. nobody ges an icon from me unless they actually "touch" the coin (through the protective plastic sleeve, of course).

As an earlier reply mentioned about providing a list to those at events? Not my style...if you want to "discover" my coins, then you will have to spend the time to write those tracking numbers yourself...you strain your eyes...I had to in order to get Act Codes. nobody ges an icon from me unless they actually "touch" the coin (through the protective plastic sleeve, of course).

I understand that go jay bee but what is your stance if one was to (as you put it ) touch a coin at a cache but there happens to be 6 of them I've seen logs that support this logic (grab one ,discover the rest) again I say this is my ? I want to respect the time and effort put into every cache and tracable. I just want everyones opinion on this matter and I thank you for yours (please post again if needed)

I will occasionally discover one out of a cache...maybe once, but ive written down several that were in my caches while maintaining them...They gotta be really cool for me to discover them or rare! I wont get all the numbers at a bug drop or somethin...all though I just did a pretty remote cache that had like 7 coins 'n'Bugs in it and have been there awhile. I wrote the #'s down and may just log a discover just to let em know there coin or bug is still safe. We took some as well!

At events I dont get a list of numbers, although I pass around a few of my precious coins for Discovery usually a Jeep if I got one, my Mega coin, My GSA and Easter Egg(just to look at), and some of my sentimental LE's, gift coins or past event coins (in the process of activating em now for this reason).

The coins I log from events are very few! If its one that I gave away, a friend wins, or Ill pick 1 or 2 from their book for discovery. (I just attended with Crazycavelover, and will discover 2 of her coins...one of hers and 1 of Hunter42's that she has) I checked em all out though! And couldnt pass up logging Moun10bikes #001 at Geocoinfest!...But just that one-He had his whole collection too.

Many people like to collect the icons as you noticed. Thats just their gig thats all. As I have said before in here....It just puts a whole new swerve into this game we play for some people....Its ICON COLLECTING- I dont think its bad-To each their own!

What I dissagree with, is handing out a card with a whole bunch of #'s on it like buisness cards- You dont even have to see the coins just take your little card and BAM...More icons!...Whats the point? Sure its easy but whats the point? You discovered a card with a slew of tracking numbers and may have even looked at the collection, but I think its cheating...even at the icon game. I guess you could check the ones off you actually discovered though :huh:

Just my few cents!

At an event, if the cacher is showing off their binder or collection, they expect others to "discover". They enjoy seeing the eyes light up on the ones discovering. Also, please try to ask if they mind you discovering their coin. They show their collection off to share the "icon", :huh:

Apparently, you didn't pay attention to everything I wrote. I could swear that I wrote "IF" and "ASK" and so forth. That's your thing is to cover your coins. A person is showing off their binder and Not cover the # is different. I guess we're a little different over this way. Because the binders I've seen at events are there so one can actually see the coin. AND the owner enjoys sharing. Of course, these are coins that you'd actually have to write down the # yourself. I don't log what I haven't seen in person.

Edited by fairyhoney

In my personal opinion, the practice of passing out lists should cease and desist. Especially if all they are looking at is the list and they never get to see the coins. Some trackables are getting bogus logs for being on these lists, and I know some of the owners are not too happy about that.

I personally don't discover coins and will only log a grab if I actually move the coin from cache to cache. I don't mind others discovering my traveling coins, even if they don't move them on.

Ditto.

Having read through the forum here, I think I must add my 2c worth. Personally, I was, before they got too out of site, an actual Numismatist, (Coin Collector). That got way too expensive, so I thought that Geocoins would be fun.

They are.

However, I personally will not log a coin that I have not actually removed from one cache, and put in another. There are FEW exceptions to this for me, A Moun10Bike coin, and a Volunteer coin; neither of which I stand much of a chance of finding in the "wild". I do not personally care for the "discovery" aspect of coins, however, at events, I do make my coins available for others to see/discover/log, etc. I do not mind their "discover" logs, they're easily deletable in my mailbox. I do wish we could somehow get rid of the 5 or 6 pages of "discover" logs for coins that have moved a total of 3 miles, (hypothetical situation) though.

I have good friends that appear as if they're on a "feeding frenzy" at events, logging all of the new coins, but I've also seen simple slips of paper passed around with coin tracking numbers attached. To me, actually SEEING the coin is what I enjoy, but I think that comes from my history as a coin collector, I enjoy the design of the coin, the different methods of minting, etc.

For what it's worth. <_<

Steve

AKA Salty-Eagle

I personally don't care what you do if you should see one of my coins in a cache or at an event just so long as you don't steal it or lose it!!

At events I am not comfortable with having a few dozen coins circulating among several individuals copying down the tracking numbers. Chances are one or two are not going to be returned to the table. If I can prevent coin thieves at an event from pocketing a coin of mine by having a cheat sheet I will use one.

The problem is the frenzy! Too many people swarming over a pile of coins. All it takes is one person with no principles to reaffirm my basic distrust of mobs.

Edited by Droo

Just like with caches, everyone plays the game in their own different way.

For me, I discover a few number of coins/TBs. I would put the number at less than 10 or so. These include some Moun10Bike, Volunteer Geocoins, some special Geocoins/Travel Bugs that I wouldnt be able to log elsewhere.

For my collection, I have only about 25 coins activated out of 500 - 600. So it would be hard to discover my coins. If you find an activated coin in my collection, I sure dont have a problem with you discovering the coin.

In the end, play the game how you like to play the game, as long as it is within the guidelines.

What he said.

I will never hand out a list, nor would I accept one. But I certainly Discover coins at events that people bring for that purpose, and I let people discover mine. (And I try to remember to bring a 10X loupe to events.)

I also Discover any coin I find in a cache if I don't think I can help it on its quest (or don't know its quest). Also, other cachers may be coming to the cache to specifically find that coin, so I want to let them in on the action, too.