Front Yard Caches

olvegrn

RK stated:

I have never found a front yard cache anywhere but in the cachers own yard. Never. Zero. Nada. Zip. I know because I am in the habit of going up to the front door, knocking and introducing myself while the rest of my team searches for the cache.

I too will go up and knock on the door or ring the doorbell. That seems to be the easiest and sometimes, the funnest thing to do. Have met some interesting people that way, cachers as well as non-cachers.

Now, you may ask why i said non-cachers. It turns out there was this one time when the coordinates on a new cache page were way off. Our GPSrs took us to a house and pointed straight back behind it, out to their fishing pier on the bank of the river. It was definitely good that i knocked on the door for this one as im sure problems could have arisen if we would have just walked on back. The funny thing was that they of course knew nothing about the cache but still joined in on the hunt to see if they could help us find it. We searched high and low, around their yard, and on the pier but of course didn't find it. Turns out the cache owner put in the wrong numbers and the cache was almost a mile away.

As alot have said, we don't need a rule on this. Easy to just not do em if you feel uncomfortable. I suggest knocking on the door and saying hi if you are iffy on looking for one of these caches. You'll most likely find out real quick if you're in the right area or not! <_<

That is Big Boy. I think that is easy enough to find that nobody is going to look in the nieghbor's yard.....bad coordinates or not! <_<:o

That's awesome!

I won't hunt these front yard caches because they make me uncomfortable and because in the back of my mind I do wonder if my GPS could be off and I'm in someone else's yard.

You are free to do the same and let those who enjoy these caches hunt them. We don't need another rule.

Ditto.

There are only 2 exceptions, IMO, that make a front yard cache OK.

1. If the person's "yard" is in a more rural area with no one else being bothered. This means no immediate neighbors that would be bothered by cachers and CLEAR instructions so that people don't wander around a neighborhood looking suspicious.

2. If the cache owner asked ALL of his neighbors if placing the cache would be Ok and explaining what it is thouroughly. I imagine some, but not many, people would do this before considering placing a cache in their yard...otherwise, you're just asking for trouble.

I'm not a very suspicious person, but I'll admit, if I saw someone lurking in my yard or my neighbor's yard, I'd definately keep my on on them, and if I saw someone in their bushes or looking around near the house, I'd consider calling the police myself and that's WITH knowing about geocaching...now, imagine someone who has no idea that geocaching exists, I have a feeling it could get ugly/dangerous in that case.

(underlined for emphasis) I don't need my neighbors permission to have people come to my house. Woudl I personally let them know about it? Sure. But there's nothing saying I have to. I'm free to have as many people come and go from my house as I please without justifying it to my neighbors.

Well, this had a good turnout with some good arguements. The majority of the caches I am finding here in FY's are there without the owner knowing about it, hence the evil glares many cachers are receiving. I'll keep this one open a little longer to see what else people have to say.

Are you saying that people are putting caches in OTHER people's front yards???

Well, this had a good turnout with some good arguements. The majority of the caches I am finding here in FY's are there without the owner knowing about it, hence the evil glares many cachers are receiving. I'll keep this one open a little longer to see what else people have to say. \

I still think that Geocaching should have tighter rules regarding Yard caches. Like I said before, by the time the hider gets coords and the seeker gets to 0, there can be a big difference in actual position....like say, an NRA neighbors yard.

I for one have a hard time buying that the "majority" of caches hidden in front yards are there without the owner knowing it. There's no doubt that there are some but i'm sure not all that many. The neighbors are another thing alltogether and i'm sure there are many fy caches that are put out without neighbor's knowing about them.

Well, this had a good turnout with some good arguements. The majority of the caches I am finding here in FY's are there without the owner knowing about it, hence the evil glares many cachers are receiving. I'll keep this one open a little longer to see what else people have to say. \

I still think that Geocaching should have tighter rules regarding Yard caches. Like I said before, by the time the hider gets coords and the seeker gets to 0, there can be a big difference in actual position....like say, an NRA neighbors yard.

Perhaps all local cache Reviewers should send out a message like the one Keystone sends if they see from their maps the cache is placed in a residential area:

Hello, I am a volunteer for Geocaching.com and I have reviewed your cache submission. Welcome to geocaching, and thanks for hiding a cache.

This cache looks like it's hidden in a residential area. Hopefully it is on your own property, because caches on private property need clear evidence of permission. Geocachers are often very uncomfortable searching for a cache near a residence. It would help people enjoy your cache, and you'll get more visitors, if you could edit your cache description to say that you are the owner of the property and that people have permission to search there. If you need to attach any conditions, like "no searching after 10:00 at night," it would be a good idea to mention this on your cache page also. Otherwise, expect bumps in the night and barking dogs at 2:00 a.m. Finally, because of bad satellite reception, approaching from the wrong direction, etc., it is possible that geocachers may inadvertently trespass on your neighbors' property. Please consider telling your neighbors about your geocache, and adding a hint to let people know they're at the correct house.

Once you have edited your cache page to address these issues, let me know this and I will take another look at your submission. To respond, please do NOT send me an e-mail. Leave a "Note to Reviewer" here on your cache page. I have your cache on my watchlist, and I will receive a notification when you write your note. All reviewer notes are deleted when your cache is published.

Thanks,

Keystone

Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer

Just an idea . . . idea.gif

Good idea! <_<

I have inadvertently driven up to a couple FYC's, and once I recognize them as such, "Plonk", they go on my ever expanding ignore list. Both of the ones I approached were set up so there was little chance of ending up on the wrong property, so these concerns were nullified. My reason for driving by was that my comfort meter and fun meter both hit zero. I play this game to have fun, and pawing around in a stranger's yard doesn't meet my criteria.

IMHO, we do not need any more rules. If digging through someone's azaleas makes you happy, go for it. I'll meet you at the next cache. You know, the one in the woods with the scenic view? Just look for an ol' fat crippled guy wearing a smelly hat. <_<

... If the neighbors don't know about it, it is not their fault, and they have every reason to check it out or call the police. It's just they way things are in today's world. We can have fun but we also need to use some common sense, given there a lot of people who have no clue the geocaching hobby exists.
Sure they have the right to ask you what your doing and to call the police.

So what? You're breaking no laws. The cache owner is undoubtably the property owner (or leasor). He has the right to invite anyone to his property for any legal purpose.

When the police arrive, if I'm still there, I'll be happy to let them know what I'm doing. Beyond that, Mrs. Kravitz can bite me.

Edited by sbell111

<snip>

I think what Keystone writes back to the new cache hider is excellent. Maybe something like that could be sent back to a cacher placing an LPC. :o

Rest assured that it has happened - at least on my FIRST hide <_< - some things you just keep around for good fun - and that was over 2 years ago.

...by the time the hider gets coords and the seeker gets to 0, there can be a big difference in actual position....like say, an NRA neighbors yard.

I'd like to point out that as my neighborhood's official NRA neighbor (Lifetime Member!) my yard is a very safe and friendly place where no one has even been threatened, let alone shot at.

Now if your coordinates put you in my living room at 2am we may have a problem. <_<

Driver Carries Cache

(madmike)

Why would they be in more (or any) danger from an NRA member? It’s difficult for me to keep my response ‘family friendly’ when I read abject stupidity like that.

Edited by Criminal

ok ok ok, you all have me crying. NRA, sorry about that....it was a generalization. I think it is time to close this one before people start a mob against olvegrn.

Thanks for posting. I'll just do what you have all said and put the cache on ignore or not look if I feel uncomfortable.

to those I REALLY TICKED OFF, sorry about that, let's keep the game family friendly.

ok ok ok, you all have me crying. NRA, sorry about that....it was a generalization. I think it is time to close this one before people start a mob against olvegrn.

Thanks for posting. I'll just do what you have all said and put the cache on ignore or not look if I feel uncomfortable.

to those I REALLY TICKED OFF, sorry about that, let's keep the game family friendly.

No ticked off people that I can see.

You learned most people don't like these kind of caches, and that most people think they are legit. You never did show that any one cache had a real issue, or that the entir concept was a problem.

Why would they be in more (or any) danger from an NRA member? It’s difficult for me to keep my response ‘family friendly’ when I read abject stupidity like that.

Heck, I'm an NRA member and I don't even own a gun. The most you'll get from me if you wander on my property are a few well aimed ripe tomatos in season. I was a pretty good pitcher back in the day, so beware.

8373c476-6600-49bc-a108-83eb5aa10d97.jpg

Should this one be banned too?

Over 220 travel bugs have passed through this cache since it was opened for business in August 2005. Close to 100 finds later the cache is still going strong. Yes, there are folks who won't do front yard caches, but there are plenty who will.

There is no need for a ban on such things. If you don't like them, avoid them. Otherwise, enjoy them.

If you fall off the top of a giant pylon in the middle of a river, then all you've hurt is yourself (and the guy in the kayak beneath you).

:) Referring to anything in particular? Sounds like a Vinny and Sue cache.

I am not sure what you are talking about. All of our caches are 1/1 lame urban micros.

I think.

:)

I won't hunt these front yard caches because they make me uncomfortable and because in the back of my mind I do wonder if my GPS could be off and I'm in someone else's yard.

You are free to do the same and let those who enjoy these caches hunt them. We don't need another rule.

Yep, unless the hider provides you with someway of verifying from the car that it really is the right place I'd leave myself. I placed mine way back in the woods and have the cachers park in a spot where even when I'm home I don't even realize they are here and it still makes some folks nervous to look for them because it's private property.

If you fall off the top of a giant pylon in the middle of a river, then all you've hurt is yourself (and the guy in the kayak beneath you).

:) Referring to anything in particular? Sounds like a Vinny and Sue cache.

I am not sure what you are talking about. All of our caches are 1/1 lame urban micros.

Okay, I understand now what the Big Boy cache is, but I'd like to know how you'd feel if someone wanted to ban caches that involve pylons, climbing through tight spaces, etc., because someone thought they were too dangerous, or they felt uncomfortable doing them?

Heck, I'm an NRA member and I don't even own a gun. The most you'll get from me if you wander on my property are a few well aimed ripe tomatos in season. I was a pretty good pitcher back in the day, so beware.

Yep, NRA members are the safest gun owners on Earth and very peaceful and law abiding. NRA has always promoted gun safety and in fact NRA schools are used to train most law enforcement officers in proper gun handling and safety. NRA members know that irresponsible gun owners are the biggest threat to thier second amendment rights and do what they can to educate them.

NRA Life member here myself.

A generalization? Try ‘stereotype’, and not an accurate one at that. I’m not a member, but I know a lot of people who are, and they are all honest upstanding folks.

Would a Triple-A member run them down with their car?

Unless the cache has very clear directions so I absolutely know that I'm in the right place, I drive by these caches and ignore them. I don't think that any rule is necessary here.

Plus, you would end up defining what a 'front yard cache' is. What if the cache is in a side yard? What if it's a small empty lot in a community? How big does the yard have to be for it to be OK?

It's easier for me to just use my brain on these, rather than try to implement some rule that covers all situations.

DITTO and DITTO

I considered placing one myself to show off my American Chestnut trees (a somewhat endangered but recovering species). But after postulating the number and frequency of unexpected guests and what neighbours would think of same, plus the greatly diminished security because all the traffic would soon lead to the neighbours ignoring all strange activity around my yard, I thought better of it.

Besides the yard is a mess. :)

:) I need some input before I go to the big dogs on a new rule.

In 92084, there has been an uprising in "frontyard" caches. This is a good and a bad thing all at the same time.

Good: new caches for people to find. Adds another element to the difficulty of a cache. Hones your Stealth skill :) .

Bad: When a cache is placed in a yard, the possibility of it being off the numbers is always there, thus having the seeker go into the neighboring yards to find it. They are not always hidden in the cachers yard or even a friends yard. This is the main problem I have with these types of caches. I am going to pursue going to Groundspeak with a proposal to stop front yard caches. I don't know how it is going to work out, but I want to make sure that the fun doesn't stop, and nobody gets hurt. I have already heard of a shooting threat in the area. NOT COOL!

Please, chew me out or build me up, I need your input on the matter.

HAPPY CACHING!

Whatever happened to 'If you don't like them, don't hunt them'?

It seems 'If you don't like them, try to have them banned' is the order of the day!

The cache on my front porch still gets visited, although I archived it weeks ago! A cacher came hunting it just yesterday. During its active life it got a lot of visits and was fun for all, judging by the logs.

I did get one memorable phone call... a cacher called me and said "Rambler, my kids and I have been looking all over your porch for a half-hour, is it behind this white cabinet?" When I got through laughing I had to tell her the white cabinet is on my neighbors porch!

Fortunately I know my neighbors well and had told them that strangers might come looking.

Lighten up, don't take yourself or this game so seriously. I live in a suburb with a population of 9,813 folks and the Mayor, Chief of Police, Parks and Recreation Superintendent and my neighbors all know about the game and allow us to hide caches in our city.

Get to know at least the neighbors around you and I suspect front-yard caches will be less of an issue than they are being made out to be!

Last weekend, we had knowingly gone to look for a cache on private property in a pasture. According to the description, "the land owner has given permission for this activity." The coordinates and the description of the gate to park by were accurate. However, there was no mention of the "NO TRESPASSING" sign on the corner of the gate.

Not knowing if the owner changed his mind and put up the sign recently, we left without going on the property. I e-mailed the cache owner to find out the status. Well, she didn't remember ever seeing the sign and had to contact her son to find out about it. It took 4 days to get the reply, "there is a sign, but this doesn't mean geocashers." This cache owner isn't likely to state in the cache description to ignore the "No TRESPASSING" sign because, according to the Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines for Off-limit (Physical) Caches, the listing may be immediately archived.

We also had an experience recently where we ended up on the wrong property and had some disapproving owners after us. Because of these experiences, I personally don't like caches on private property. It's taken some of the fun out of the hunt.

A generalization? Try ‘stereotype’, and not an accurate one at that. I’m not a member, but I know a lot of people who are, and they are all honest upstanding folks.

Would a Triple-A member run them down with their car?

WOW...calm down dude...he apologized...please don't lynch him!

:(:):)

... Because of these experiences, I personally don't like caches on private property. It's taken some of the fun out of the hunt.

It's true that all hiders don't play by the rules, but most do.

If something about a cache makes you uncomfortable, move on.

If something about a cache indicates it's blatantly illegal, file a Needs Archived note and let the Reviewer determine if it should be left active.

If you end up on someone eles'e property the coords need updating, you perhaps eneterd them wrong, or there may be a different approach to the cache.

Classifying all private property caches as bad because of a couple of bad experiences is a bit of a stertch, however.

... Because of these experiences, I personally don't like caches on private property. It's taken some of the fun out of the hunt.

It's true that all hiders don't play by the rules, but most do.

If something about a cache makes you uncomfortable, move on.

If something about a cache indicates it's blatantly illegal, file a Needs Archived note and let the Reviewer determine if it should be left active.

If you end up on someone eles'e property the coords need updating, you perhaps eneterd them wrong, or there may be a different approach to the cache.

Classifying all private property caches as bad because of a couple of bad experiences is a bit of a stertch, however.

I agree with all your points. Thanks for the reality check!

Okay, I understand now what the Big Boy cache is, but I'd like to know how you'd feel if someone wanted to ban caches that involve pylons, climbing through tight spaces, etc., because someone thought they were too dangerous, or they felt uncomfortable doing them?

But that's off the topic of this thread.

In the case of dangerous caches, the cacher has "opted in" to geocaching. The cacher knows there's a cache there and is interested in finding it. The risks have been described, and the cacher has elected to take those risks in order to score the find.

The issue is the cacher's neighbors who are not aware of the cache and may not know about geocaching and who probably would be uncomfortable to have someone accidentally snooping around in their bushes at odd hours of the day.

I'm sure Vinny & Sue cleared their cache placement with the family of four that live on the pylon next door and the nice folks in the adjacent abandoned nuclear reactor containment vessel.

-eP

But that's off the topic of this thread.

Oh really? V&S, among others, have called for a BAN on front yard caches because they could be dangerous. Not a call to make it more clear which house to go to so that neighbors yards could be avoided, not a call for hiders to make sure their neighbors are aware, but a BAN.

In the case of dangerous caches, the cacher has "opted in" to geocaching. The cacher knows there's a cache there and is interested in finding it. The risks have been described, and the cacher has elected to take those risks in order to score the find.
Agreed. So who is it that is likely to get killed (the sub title of this thread) because of a front yard cache? Is it the neighbor that is in mortal danger? It seems to me that the OP is saying that the geocacher is in danger from an angry neighbor. I'll bet we can remove that risk in ways other than a BAN on a kind of cache.

The issue is the cacher's neighbors who are not aware of the cache and may not know about geocaching and who probably would be uncomfortable to have someone accidentally snooping around in their bushes at odd hours of the day.
So who is at fault here? The hider should have informed his neighbors, and/or made it easier for the hider to know which house is correct. How is this any different than an owner of a pylon cache making sure that the cacher is a qualified climber, or is clear of other risks?

I'm sure Vinny & Sue cleared their cache placement with the family of four that live on the pylon next door and the nice folks in the adjacent abandoned nuclear reactor containment vessel.
I'm sure they did.

I'm not sure why they don't answer my question though. (j/k, I'm pretty sure I know)

(edit: spelling - not sure what a "neightor" is)

Edited by Mushtang

As much as I'd love to have one in my front yard just to be able to see cachers when they come by and log in, my neighbors would probably think I was dealing drugs or something. I love my neighbors but, bless their hearts, they are busybodies. And if they saw strange people coming to my house and pulling a can out of the bushes over and over, things would get real weird real quick. Plus I don't necessarily won't all you bunch of yahoos schlepping all over my yard :) . I mean, I love you like you were my kin, but "pool or the pond", I think most of ya'll are more "pond". I'm just messing with ya'll, and if I ever decide to take the wheels off my house, I'll invite ya'll to a kegger.

Behave yourselves, company's coming,

Ramapirate

I'm the owner of a front yard cache. It is at my parents' house in a small town in Iowa. There were no caches in the town-- the closest were about 5 miles down the highway, so I decided to set one up in a nice hidey hole in a tree at the curb of their house. Now the town has a cache (albeit not exactly a thrilling one), and my parents can easily keep an eye on it in case it needs anything. I think I did a pretty good job in the description of letting people know where they can comfortably search for it. I know not everyone will enjoy this sort of cache (poking around on private property makes me nervous, as well), but I tried my best to provide a cache for the town and to do it in a responsible way.

My parents will email me when the spot a cacher out poking around in the tree, and several people logging the cache have noted that they saw my parents. No complaints so far about the cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...30-2047e969f68c

As much as I'd love to have one in my front yard just to be able to see cachers when they come by and log in, my neighbors would probably think I was dealing drugs or something. I love my neighbors but, bless their hearts, they are busybodies. And if they saw strange people coming to my house and pulling a can out of the bushes over and over, things would get real weird real quick. Plus I don't necessarily won't all you bunch of yahoos schlepping all over my yard :) . I mean, I love you like you were my kin, but "pool or the pond", I think most of ya'll are more "pond". I'm just messing with ya'll, and if I ever decide to take the wheels off my house, I'll invite ya'll to a kegger.

Behave yourselves, company's coming,

Ramapirate

This seems like an easy fix to me. Why don'tcha just tell your neighbors about geocaching and what to expect?

The bottom line in this whole deal is, "You need to think about what you're doing before you do it"!

That applies to hiding the "FYC", or hunting for it. The same is true of any one cache, or any type of cache. Whether we're talking about an ammo can off a well marked trail in the woods, a pylon cache in the middle of a river, or a front yard cache.

Take the time to hide a quality cache. If that means telling the neighbors about it, then do it. If it means posting special instruction on the cache page, then do it. Whatever takes, make your hide the best you can in that one case, then every cache will be a good cache.

As the seeker, take the time to make a quality hunt. Know where you. Be aware of your surroundings. To many cachers rush in like the proverbial bull in a china shop, and then blame the hider for their problems. Think about the cache your seeking now, not the next on the list. Read the cache page. You never know when it might be important. Most of all, realize you don't have to find ever cache out there. If it doesn't feel right, just go on.

We don't need a ban on cache types. We need a ban on the stupidity of many of the cachers out there.

... If the neighbors don't know about it, it is not their fault, and they have every reason to check it out or call the police. It's just they way things are in today's world. We can have fun but we also need to use some common sense, given there a lot of people who have no clue the geocaching hobby exists.
Sure they have the right to ask you what your doing and to call the police.

So what? You're breaking no laws. The cache owner is undoubtably the property owner (or leasor). He has the right to invite anyone to his property for any legal purpose.

When the police arrive, if I'm still there, I'll be happy to let them know what I'm doing. Beyond that, Mrs. Kravitz can bite me.

:):):):(:)

We need a ban on the stupidity of many of the cachers out there.

Stupidity is sometimes a self-curing disease.

The cacher who gets shot after choosing to stumble around in someone's yard won't likely make the same mistake a second time.

If only common sense were more common. :)

I've found a few FYC's and never had any problems with them. They were all clearly marked as a geocache, and the one or two that were in neighborhoods where the homes were quite close together had enough info on the cache page to make me feel comfortable. Oh, and there was the one in JAX where the owner was already sitting in the driveway enjoying a cold beverage. That's a good reason to seek a FYC too. :)

They aren't very common around here though.

Oh, and there was the one in JAX where the owner was already sitting in the driveway enjoying a cold beverage. That's a good reason to seek a FYC too. :(

;) Hey that's a good idea. I just took up home-brewing. I'll put a cache on my patio and you folks can stop in for a cold one.

-----------

Cache container is a blue coleman.

Origanal contents:

Ice

Beer Cold drinks :(shhh...

Watch out for the nieghbor muggles. They have been know to tackle anyone taking the last of the swag. :)

------------

Maybe I can get a permanent event cache established. :) It ain't the neighbors I'm worry about though. They would just join in. It's the armed guards the at front gate that might be a problem. :):)

Edited by Totem Clan

I encourage folks who hunted my front porch cache to knock on the door so I could meet them, even put my phone number on the listing so they could call if they where in any way uncomfortable hunting it.

I have done a number of caches where the owners like to meet cachers - most notably one in TN where the owner would set out a chest of iced bottled water for cachers in the summertime!

One was at the home of a handicapped individual in AL; he couldn't often get out to meet cachers, so he brought them to him!

Good stuff.

My theory is "If you don't feel comfortable going after it, then don't". I've passed on a few for that reason.

Although... one thing that 'on personal property' caches SHOULD have is the house number somewhere in the cache description. That way, you at least know you're on the right yard, instead of the psychopath who collects handguns next door. I'd feel a lot more comfortable I was debating which of the two houses the coordinates were pointing to (say, it was on or near the fence dividing the two), if it had the house number, I'd know what side to stay the hell off of.

The handgun thing is completely besides the point. It's referring to "I have absolutely no clue who lives next door to the geocacher, so instead of assuming they're going to welcome you into intruding on their property with open arms, it's safer to assume that they will be severely displeased".

If you don't like my statement, then simply replace it with "psycho who wants you dead for trespassing", same thing, less specific details. Happy?

My point about having the house number in the description still stands.

Edited by Kabuthunk

I generally don't care for caches at people's residences. But I see no reason for a rule against them. Some cachers like them and it is easy enough to decide not to do a cache that makes you feel uncomfortable. I have never found it difficult to ignore caches that I don't care to find. So if you are worried about that kind of cache, just don't seek it.

Edited by carleenp

That way, you at least know you're on the right yard, instead of the psychopath who collects handguns next door.

I think the topic is about geocaches on people’s front lawns, not your asinine beliefs about handgun owners.

Dude...this is a friendly debate...

Why are you attacking people that do not hold to your beliefs???

:)

That way, you at least know you're on the right yard, instead of the psychopath who collects handguns next door.

I think the topic is about geocaches on people’s front lawns, not your asinine beliefs about handgun owners.

Dude...this is a friendly debate...

Why are you attacking people that do not hold to your beliefs???

;)

Attacking?

If he had said, “That way, you at least know you're on the right yard, instead of the hispanics with switchblades next door”, it would have been just as offensive.

Leave your stereotypes out of the conversation, it doesn’t add to the discussion.

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by Criminal

There are only 2 exceptions, IMO, that make a front yard cache OK.

1. If the person's "yard" is in a more rural area with no one else being bothered. This means no immediate neighbors that would be bothered by cachers and CLEAR instructions so that people don't wander around a neighborhood looking suspicious.

2. If the cache owner asked ALL of his neighbors if placing the cache would be Ok and explaining what it is thouroughly. I imagine some, but not many, people would do this before considering placing a cache in their yard...otherwise, you're just asking for trouble.

I'm not a very suspicious person, but I'll admit, if I saw someone lurking in my yard or my neighbor's yard, I'd definately keep my on on them, and if I saw someone in their bushes or looking around near the house, I'd consider calling the police myself and that's WITH knowing about geocaching...now, imagine someone who has no idea that geocaching exists, I have a feeling it could get ugly/dangerous in that case.

(underlined for emphasis) I don't need my neighbors permission to have people come to my house. Woudl I personally let them know about it? Sure. But there's nothing saying I have to. I'm free to have as many people come and go from my house as I please without justifying it to my neighbors.

Well, this had a good turnout with some good arguements. The majority of the caches I am finding here in FY's are there without the owner knowing about it, hence the evil glares many cachers are receiving. I'll keep this one open a little longer to see what else people have to say.

Are you saying that people are putting caches in OTHER people's front yards???

A visitor is different from a geocacher. Of course you don't need or have to ask permission, but you stated yourself that you would. I assume that's because you are courteous and considerate of your neighbors and know that a cache in your yard might cause some trouble if it was unknown to neighbors. Some people don't exhibit the courtsey or sense to do this.

Your neighbors have no say so as to what guests you have over, no, but if they saw suspicious activity going on around your house, lets say possible drug deals or something like that, they could call the police, regardless of whether of not they are your "guests." That is their right, too.

I'm certainly not saying there needs to be a new rule or a ban of these caches, I'm just saying that some guidelines like the ones posted in a reviewers letter earlier in this thread are a good idea. I think this type of cache could be fun as long as it's done well.

And if I was uncomfortable with a cache site, then I would pass it by, too, but the same can't be said for everyone. Some people are just oblivious or don't care about if a cache might be appropriate or not. They just want to find it.

The handgun thing is completely besides the point. It's referring to "I have absolutely no clue who lives next door to the geocacher, so instead of assuming they're going to welcome you into intruding on their property with open arms, it's safer to assume that they will be severely displeased".

If you don't like my statement, then simply replace it with "psycho who wants you dead for trespassing", same thing, less specific details. Happy?

My point about having the house number in the description still stands.

Putting the house number in the description might actually violate the guidelines, since I could then look for the cache without really using coords.

Edited by sbell111

Putting the house number in the description might actually violate the guidelines, since I could then look for the cache without really using coords.

I wasn't aware of a guideline prohibiting "spoilers".

I guess i need to change all my cache descriptions..

But then, ANY cache can be found without GPS, so I guess they all violate guidelines.