The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

DING!

Nattybooshka ur correct......your turn :)

Yay! I had another answer... but couldn't put it in the forums!

Sticking with Tennis...

My father played at Wimbledon, and I too was a promising youth player... aged 16 I moved to the USA for top standard coaching. A career change and my band have sold over 100 million albums. Who am I?

Edited by NattyBooshka

Hehehehehehe :) My fav drummer and band in the whole world...the Tennis player your talking about who played Wimbledon was Torben Ulrich and his son and the answer is Lars Ulrich:) Seen this band 12 times up to press and would watch them everyday if i could :)

DING! Torben holds the record of being the oldest Davis Cup player of all time... But is probably more remembered for being a hippie before it was defined. Lars a very decent junior chose a different path... Didn't turn out badly!

Over to you for the next one!

And here's me thinking I'm a Genius!

Who is/was Farrokh Bulsara?

I'm going to take a stab at Mercury. Because IIRC he stole fire from the Gods (though I may have made that up in my head).

I suspect thehaliobutkid is replying to the previous Q, but has coincidentally answered this one too!

Farrouk Busala was the real name of Freddie Mercury, who was originally from Zanzibar.

And here's me thinking I'm a Genius!

Who is/was Farrokh Bulsara?

I'm going to take a stab at Mercury. Because IIRC he stole fire from the Gods (though I may have made that up in my head).

I suspect thehaliobutkid is replying to the previous Q, but has coincidentally answered this one too!

Farrouk Busala was the real name of Freddie Mercury, who was originally from Zanzibar.

DING DONG! Sorry, was a fan of Mastermind where each general knowledge question was related to the last.

Marty it's all yours for a full answer! Freddie Mercury... Can't believe it's been 20 years! Bonus point for answering the question I was going to ask... Where was he from?

Your question.

Edited by NattyBooshka

Something rings a small bell here, could be way off the mark, but does it have no roof? In which case I'd guess health & safety cos of rain/electrics??

I think you're on the right track but I believe it's actually the only building in London with a thatched roof, special permission required due to fire risk, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's something that dates back to the rebuilding after the great fire.

Something rings a small bell here, could be way off the mark, but does it have no roof? In which case I'd guess health & safety cos of rain/electrics??

I think you're on the right track but I believe it's actually the only building in London with a thatched roof, special permission required due to fire risk, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's something that dates back to the rebuilding after the great fire.

DING!

It's London's only thatched roof, and it is on a reproduction of London's oldest theatre: the Globe which dates back to Shakespearian times. The open-air theatre is based on the descriptions of the original design from 1559 where Shakespeare worked and presented his plays. The reproduction was built in 1996, funded by Sam Wanamaker, who dedicated 20 years to its creation.

It's roof was no longer thatch, by the time of the Great Fire of London in 1666. But. the law is still there for not using thatch roofs.

Burnt to the ground and rebuilt again.

Tragedy struck the playhouse when amidst a performance of Henry VIII on June the 29th, 1613, a cannon fired during the play ignited the playhouse's thatched roof burning the playhouse to the ground. Rebuilt just one year later, the famous playhouse again opened its doors for business but on the opposite side of the Thames river in 1614, with the original's dangerous straw thatched roof now wisely replaced with tiles.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

The guy in Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy....? Slarty Bartfast or something like that, I think :rolleyes:

Close enough....DING

Those of us 'of a certain age' will remember being enthralled by the adventures of The Lone Ranger. We all know that the theme music was the final part of The William Tell Overture but who wrote it?

Correct!

Over to Pajaholic

(I was a big fan of Westerns when I was a kid :) )

MrsB

Staying with Westerns...

Most 'cinema gunfighters' blink when firing their weapons. Who were the only two* western stars known not to blink as they fired their guns?

*(there is a possible third, so I'll accept any two of the three)

john wayne and clint eastwood.....maybe well off here :anicute:

Clint Eastwood

Yul Brynner I think is the other???

DING!

Over to NattyBooshka

I seem to remember that the 3rd was in a film with Yul, and Yul taught him how to do it... but I may be wrong.

In the Kevin Smith View Askewniverse films, he plays Silent Bob. Who plays his foul-mouthed partner in crime Jay?

What is the name of the worldwide arts project started by Frank Warren and what does it involve?

Ok... I read Frank Warren and arts in the same sentence... I have this horrible Chas n Dave snooker song in my head! I'm not sure it was art though!

Won't be getting this one... now to get this tune out of my head!