The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

@ Pharisee "Ding" close enough!

My dad would tell me it was "bean, bean, bean and a half, half a bean and a bean"..which is something I've passed on to my son! :)

As it's the British Grand Prix at my local racing circuit this weekend, a related question would seem to be in order.

The first ever "Formula One" Grand Prix was held at Silverstone in 1950. It was won by Giuseppe 'Nino' Farina but what make of car was he driving?

My dad would tell me it was "bean, bean, bean and a half, half a bean and a bean"..which is something I've passed on to my son! :)

As it's the British Grand Prix at my local racing circuit this weekend, a related question would seem to be in order.

The first ever "Formula One" Grand Prix was held at Silverstone in 1950. It was won by Giuseppe 'Nino' Farina but what make of car was he driving?

A bugatti?

Does looking in Juan Manuel Fangio's biography count as googling?

Farina was one of three of Fangio's stable mates, i.e. they all drove for the same team. Fangio retired from the race leaving his stablemates (Farina, Fagioli, and Parnell) to take all three podium places. If my use of Fangio's biography doesn't count as googling, I can tell you the make of car they drove; if it does, then I've just dropped an enormous clue or three!

Edited by Pajaholic

Clever question as I think there were 4 or 5 grand prix races before this one... The 1950 formula one winner was driving an alfa romeo though I believe.

Does looking in Juan Manuel Fangio's biography count as googling?

No, that's fine. Many people have used books & atlases etc in the past.

In which case, I suppose that the best I can now do is confirm that NattyBooshka is correct as Farina, Fangio, Fagioli, and Parnell all drove Alfa-Romeo 158s. It was the last year of the 158s as Alfa fielded the almost identical 159s in 1951. Alfa pretty much dominated GP racing during that era, so their taking all podium places was not unusual.

Clever question as I think there were 4 or 5 grand prix races before this one... The 1950 formula one winner was driving an alfa romeo though I believe.

He was indeed driving an Alfa Romeo... DING!

Ascari? I know he has the one season record

Unfortunately not, although Alberto Ascari probably would have had the career percentage record but for his tragic death in 1955. His one season record was for 1952. In those days there weren't so many races each season and he won 6 of the 8 races he entered that year - an incredible 75%.

Ascari? I know he has the one season record

Unfortunately not, although Alberto Ascari probably would have had the career percentage record but for his tragic death in 1955. His one season record was for 1952. In those days there weren't so many races each season and he won 6 of the 8 races he entered that year - an incredible 75%.

Yeah... last 6 of the season too... and started 53 with a win I think.

Ok... Must be Fangio then.

Ok... enough of this slow F1 stuff... time to go faster.

The final American Space Shuttle mission launched yesterday. Complete its mission name.

STS-...

I would laugh if this was the post that pushes this thread onto page 135 as that's the number you are looking for.

Ding ding!

And yes... I was hoping, but needed a few guesses first!

Edited by NattyBooshka

Ok time for a tenuous link.

The first animal to orbit the earth was called something.

And in 2002 a band released a remix album referencing this animal and urging them to come home. What was the name of that band?

Page 135 just 2 posts too late :(

Gorillaz

Gorillaz were the remixed band. But who did the remixing?

ISTR something about Space Monkeys and the Gorillaz or Gorillaz and the Space Monkeys, so I'll guess (the) Space Monkeys. That said, I suspect it's yet another manufactured band and there's something weird about one manufactured band remixing another (as in it makes you wonder who the original, original artist was!)

ISTR something about Space Monkeys and the Gorillaz or Gorillaz and the Space Monkeys, so I'll guess (the) Space Monkeys. That said, I suspect it's yet another manufactured band and there's something weird about one manufactured band remixing another (as in it makes you wonder who the original, original artist was!)

Manufactured, no... They're not a spice girls/monkees.... They just do things differently.

And spacemonkeyz was one word!

Technically, the album artist was Spacemonkeyz Vs Gorillaz

Personally I'd like to see Cradle of Filth Vs Britney Spears.

Edited by NattyBooshka

Manufactured, no... They're not a spice girls/monkees.... They just do things differently.

And spacemonkeyz was one word!

Actually I have seen it written as Space Monkeyz. So you were right with the spelling.

But Pajaholic gets the ding.

2002 album Laika come home referencing the first animal in space. Russian dog Laika (also the first animal to die in orbit). The title was also a play on the Film title Lassie come Home.

Actually I have seen it written as Space Monkeyz. So you were right with the spelling.

But Pajaholic gets the ding.

2002 album Laika come home referencing the first animal in space. Russian dog Laika (also the first animal to die in orbit). The title was also a play on the Film title Lassie come Home.

FWIW, it was well after my time and I don't think I've ever heard the song. I only remembered the band because it seemed such a naff name at the time and association with both the Gorillaz and space dredged it back into memory.

Anyway, sticking with animal space travel: what was the first animal to be launced into space?

The Sex Pistols?

Ding.

Virgin Records and Nottingham Virgin Megastore stood in the dock and John Mortimer QC proved that "Nevermind the Bollocks" was not offensive as the 3rd word meant nonsense. We have a high court, binding, ruling that the word is not obscene and it's not been appealed since.