The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Babel fish - HHGTTG by the late great Douglas Adams?

Man gets himself killed by twisted logic or similar?

That's a big-ol' DING for The Patrician. Over to you.

(...and a side order of kudos to castagnari - which sadly doesn't let you set the next question but might give you the warm fuzzies ;)

That's a big-ol' DING for The Patrician. Over to you.

(...and a side order of kudos to castagnari - which sadly doesn't let you set the next question but might give you the warm fuzzies ;)

Ta!

What revolutionary engine powered the 'Heart of Gold', the space ship stolen by Zaphod Beeblebrox?

That'll be the Infinite Improbability Drive, then.

Never mind the cheezburger, I've just discovered our cat pig likes shortbread.:)

Where would you find the original Ice Hotel? I want country and village please (but I'll be generous on the spelling)

[since I'll be off-line most of the weekend feel free for a self-DING if you know you've got it right]

Edited by MTH

His white gold ring wasn't it?

I always thought the author of this series, whose name escapes me, relied a bit too much on Tolkein for his ideas.

DING!

Even though his wife divorced him during an extended stay in a leper colony, he couldn't part with his white gold wedding ring; and white gold had magical powers in The Land.

Even though Donaldson has been called a 'latter day Tolkien' I found Donaldson addictive but found Tolkien too much like hard work. So I hold Stephen R. Donaldson in much higher regard that Tolkien. After all, very little is new. Tolkien seems to have borrowed much from the Brothers Grimm. Terry Pratchett borrowed (and twisted) much from others and also from real life, e.g. the Clack seems uncannily like Murray's six-shutter optical telegraph and the concept of the world supported on the back of four elephants standing on the back of a turtle seems adapted from Greek mythology. The tradition of borrowing and making something your own continues with J.K. Rowling, as so much of what's in Harry Potter seems adapted from previous exponents of the Fairy Story (including ancient mythology).

Anyway, over to you.

DING!

Even though his wife divorced him during an extended stay in a leper colony, he couldn't part with his white gold wedding ring; and white gold had magical powers in The Land.

Even though Donaldson has been called a 'latter day Tolkien' I found Donaldson addictive but found Tolkien too much like hard work.

Sorry to diss your favourite author!

In which decade were L-plates made compulsory for all learner drivers in the UK?

My Dad never took a car test either, he had a provisional and then was conscripted. He did a truck driving course but was sent somewhere else the day of the final test. He was then posted to Egypt and cos he didn't have a test pass, the officer wrote one out for him LOL

When he left the army, this was duly converted to a UK full driving licence, which he held for the rest of his life, he never actually took a test.

Now to the next question, keeping with the motoring theme.

Some road crossings are better than others for disabled people, which crossing is best for blind and visually impaired people and what two features make it so?

Some road crossings are better than others for disabled people, which crossing is best for blind and visually impaired people and what two features make it so?

I'll have a guess at the Toucan, it has the twirly knob under the button box so they know when the little man goes green (but don't they all now?), and it has sensors so that the lights won't change while there's someone on the crossing.

Did they have to be in some sort of order then?

I'll hazard a guess and say there's something screwy with the forum software, as your answer wasn't there earlier.

But fair's fair - you take it.... :)

When I DING'd Keehotee Dorsetgal's reply wasn't there for me to see, so looks like the board update was a bit screwy. So both are right, and the times on the posts now show Dorsetgal got in there first!