The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

A question we've had before so I'll use OP's Privilege and ding that for you :)

OP?

Anyway, if I get the ding, I'm happy to set one.

Inspired by the previous question setter's signature mentioning Her Maj.... I am reminded that there are in fact several verses of the UK National Anthem, but only the first verse usually gets sung. So for a ding;

What are the first TWO lines of the SECOND verse of our National Anthem? (that's up to and including the first pair of rhyming words)

Don't forget, no looking it up on the interwebs, now...

....oooh, too hard, then?

OK, I'll settle for ANY TWO consecutive rhyming lines of ANY subsequent verse of the UK National Anthem.

(Given that you'll be doing this from memory and we may have the odd word wrong or such like, I'll rule on submissions once I've read them! I'm not going out caching today until about 10:15 but will be out for a few hours after that. Back this afternoon)

Not many people know the second verse and many who think they have the second verse have the third instead. IIRC, the second verse has something about crushing the Scots but the third has these lines somewhere:

"Thy choicest gifts in store,

On her be pleased to pour"

But I'm not sure whether they're in the first or last stanza.

Not many people know the second verse and many who think they have the second verse have the third instead. IIRC, the second verse has something about crushing the Scots but the third has these lines somewhere:

"Thy choicest gifts in store,

On her be pleased to pour"

But I'm not sure whether they're in the first or last stanza.

DING!

They are in fact the first two lines of the second verse (or stanza) as originally asked!

Thanks. As I wrote, many people who think they have the second verse actually have the third. Now that you've given me the ding, I'll just check: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Save_the_Queen is probably as complete as can easily be found. This gives the second verse as:

O Lord, our God, arise,

Scatter her enemies,

And make them fall.

Confound their politics,

Frustrate their knavish tricks,

On Thee our hopes we fix,

God save us all.

However, there have been other versions over time, including one where the second verse was, as Simply Paul wrote, about General Wade crushing the Scots.

Staying with national anthems, and since words have proved problematic: The national anthem of which European country has no official lyrics?

DING

William IV was the 3rd son of George III. He inherited the throne on the death of his eldest brother (George IV - the Prince Regent). The 2nd son, Frederick died during George IV's reign.

George III's 4 eldest children didn't leave any legitimate offspring (although William is know to have had at least 10 illegitimate children), so the throne passed to Victoria - the eldest daughter of George III's 4th son Edward.

Prince Charles will break the record If he becomes King (whether that be Charles III, George VII or even Arthur as has been suggested) after 18th September 2013 (and yes I did have to look that date up).

I've probablly missed loads, but will guess just the 3 I can think of: Royal and Ancient, Royal St. Georges & Royal Lytham.

Mark

Just a little off the mark(its well into double figures), I am not asking anyone to name them all just the number.

This question did pop up in a pub quiz very recently and was linked to Royal Portush getting a major golf champoinship played at it. (I am not a big golfing fan btw)

Edited by MazdaRoy

Off topic...possibly.

There's a golf club at Wootton Bassett - called Wootton Bassett Golf Club. If it changes it's name to Royal Wootton Bassett Golf Club in line with the town, does that count?

It cant just change its name, just like the town couldnt from what I am aware. But very good point.

I think I know even less, but the name Montgomery sounds quite Scottish. Think that bloke's first name is Colin. I have no idea what he's won though. I think he might have won something important at some stage as I seem to remember some news programmes banging on about him. This would be quite embarrassing actually if its right!

Thanks - FWIW he's the only famous golfer I could mentally picture with a Scottish accent; hence the guess.

Moving from golf (about which I know next to nothing) to cycling. 'Clipless' pedals (so called because they positively locate the foot onto the pedal without needing toe-clips) use cleats mounted on the shoes that engage with sprung bindings of the pedals. You need to give your foot an outward twist to disengage them. Hence they've been responsible for more than one 'timber' moment when the rider has forgotten to give that twist and so been unable to put his or her foot down!

'Clipless' pedals are often called 'SPDs', but what do the initials 'SPD' stand for in this context?

Thanks - FWIW he's the only famous golfer I could mentally picture with a Scottish accent; hence the guess.

Moving from golf (about which I know next to nothing) to cycling. 'Clipless' pedals (so called because they positively locate the foot onto the pedal without needing toe-clips) use cleats mounted on the shoes that engage with sprung bindings of the pedals. You need to give your foot an outward twist to disengage them. Hence they've been responsible for more than one 'timber' moment when the rider has forgotten to give that twist and so been unable to put his or her foot down!

'Clipless' pedals are often called 'SPDs', but what do the initials 'SPD' stand for in this context?

I've got some but can't remember! I know S = Shimano (who invented them) and P = pedals, but the 'D' is eluding me...

(and I've never had a 'timber' moment.....yet....)

I've got some but can't remember! I know S = Shimano (who invented them) and P = pedals, but the 'D' is eluding me...

(and I've never had a 'timber' moment.....yet....)

D=Dynamics.

Shimano Pedalling Dynamics

And I had my fair share of timber moments when first using them.... :)

Edited by keehotee

D=Dynamics.

Shimano Pedalling Dynamics

And I had my fair share of timber moments when first using them.... :)

DING!

WRT timber moments, I've had a few close calls but I have multi-release cleats and they've let go during those moments of blind panic when T-I-M-B-E-R seemed inevitable.

Over to you...