What's Your Least Inspired Hide and Why?

Snoogans

Many people have at least one cache that just doesn't inspire much WOW factor in very many finders.

The story on uninspired caches you often hear from hiders, at events, goes something like, "Well, I had just started caching and....." :D

I have a similar story. After doing one good and several not so good virts one weekend during my first couple of months caching, I decided to try my hand at creating a virt. I wrote it up in a couple of minutes and submitted it. It was quickly approved (they were still called approvers in the olden days) by 9Key. I kid you not, there was a find on it within 30 minutes.

It was fun for awhile and if virts were still allowed I'd probably archive it now, but since they're somewhat of a novelty these days..... Some folks still really enjoy it, but it just doesn't feel very Snooganesque to me anymore.

Well, at least my only other virt is much better.

So, do you wish to out a cache of your own that you're not so proud of? What's your story?

It's probably Lame Roadside Cache #1.

I had just come home from a road trip to Vt and found several magnetic film canister caches attached to guardrails and fence posts on the way, all placed by the same person. Inspired by this new phenomenon, I decided to copy it, figuring it would be a change of pace from my preferred hide of longer hikes in the woods. I thought I would start hiding all kinds of caches, lame included, to cater to all kinds of cachers.

So I attached the cache to a guardrail not far from my home. In my defense, at least it was overlooking a pond.

I finally archived it because some people thought it was a grand idea and started copying it and I figured the world had enough lame caches without me adding to them.

Ok mine is just this last summer. Staples of Life

I staged a quick un-official meeting to hand out the few Green jeeps for this corner of the world to local cachers - In front of the local Staples store. Night before the meeting I put out a smallish camo taped lock-n-lock under a tree just a few feet away from the parking lot. Corn field on one side and Staples store on the other. Still there but I am embarrased by it and really should close it down.

I placed some for a local event. They weren't horrible or anything, and I like a couple of them enough to keep replacing them when they go missing. But others were very standard small caches stuck in a bush in a park. Nothing wrong with that. We aimed for parks without caches, but they didn't have any great inspiration either.

I would have to say my least inspired cache would have been

"Bri" Miller's Cache

Basically this was hidden in a small park, in a small town. The reason I hid this was because there was an empty spot on the map of nearby caches. This park fell right into that spot. It must be my OCD that I just couldn't stand to see that empty spot. :D I pulled this one eventually because of its insipidness.

This is followed closely by

Wait A Minute

As the page states, I hid this one because I had plans with and was waiting on a friend who was running about 3 hours late. It disappeared after some flooding. I don't know for sure if it washed away or was muggled.

Last but not least...

Where's Waldo

Placed in the small town of Waldo. There's not much there, but I liked the play on the town name. I did take the time to paint the ammo can red and white stripes to fit the theme though. It was eventually muggled.

I think most of our caches have been in good locations. Mostly because we live in a visitor's paradise and while away from home we found good vista or point of interest sites. But there have been a few bad ones.

At one point I archived all our roadside and otherwise lame caches but this one was my worst, least interesting, most unimaginative cache hide. I saw the light within a month and archived it.

Maxx Out http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...46-3cc17d8d088c

(Forgive me but what the h*&% is the deal with the Insert Link button? I know it will make sense when I figure it out but for right now: I click on the insert link button and it dings me for not having a URL. I put in the URL and it dings me for not having a URL. I park at each end of the URL - same ding. I highlight the URL - dinged again. It used to be very intuitive but I can't hack into this one.)

By FAR, my least inspired hide was Cadillac of Caches.

I felt guilty about not hiding any for quite some time, so I Google Mapped a local park that didn't have a cache. You can tell by the description that I'm not in love with it. Oh, and I left the size as "unknown" to try to spice it up a tad.

I'm not sure if all the locals who try for my caches skipped it because they could tell I hated it or because they looked at the map too...

Mine is currently my only active one. It is also my most recent one. Ironically, it is named I Hid It On Principle. The name is because originally, you had to get the numbers for the final coordinates from a plaque on a park bench, which listed So-And-So Disposal Company's Principles of Preservation (or something similar). I did it this way to lead people along a specific path -- just posting the coordinates would have led to a lot of ill-advised bushwhacking from the road. But now the bench is gone, so the coordinates are posted anyway.

I still think it's a decent, plain-and-simple cache. It shows off an unmarked nature trail with a boardwalk, which is why I placed it. But all my other hides were caches I would love to find -- a multi spanning several islands on a small lake; a micro on top of a building; a mile-long, rugged hike to some old foundations; a mystery cache that uses a GPS in an unusual way -- while this one is the sort I'd just eventually get around to.

Thanks for the thread. I was thinking of starting one like it but was too embarrassed.

Edited by Dinoprophet

Well, I had just started caching and.......sorry, you knew I had to do that! Ive killed most of them, but still a few are active that I just CRINGE when I get a found it post. I plan on killing them too.....why oh WHY is it that my worst uninspired caches dont take leave of absence by themselves? Hard to say which is worse.....and Im not smart enough like the rest of you to post a yawn link.......One is simply a cammoed salsa tub ( bet the camo is gone) stuck in a large wall of bushes that somehow gets stuffed with trash despite the area. I plan on actually replacing it with somthing bush worthy...if there is such a thing, because I do have a few expensive cache ideas in my cache mobile, and the folks that work at the cache site know about it and are cool with it. Maybe at least if the cache itself is pretty dern cool its a redeeming factor?

My most shameful is called Dazed and Confused. its actually an antique fuse that hasnt been seen for decades. The first two were taken care of by I suppose landscapers. As the cache is several miles from my house, when I went back the last time to replace it with the LAST fuse of this type I had....I looked around, and noticed that without changing the coords I could put it in a lamp post skirt. I wrote on the cache page that no one would ever see another hide like this from me and why I did it. None the less, I am ashamed.

well my very first hide was basically a matter of `I think I need to place a cache, like soon, like now'. It was hidden on the corner of my own property at the place I lived at the time. I still own the property, and the cache is still active. I didn't put a whole lot of thought into it, but it didn't turn out too bad. The one thing I like is that I didn't post parking coordinates. Most finders took the obvious route and had only a 400 foot trek down a considerably steep (and muddy when wet) hill, but a couple found a `4 star way in' and had some pretty epic tales in the logs. It actually turned out, I think, to be a very decent cache, although looking back I really put almost no effort into it.

The blame goes to my muse. When she speaks, I listen. All my caches are inspired, but not always inspiring.

There is one exception.

Roughshod That one sucked, had no inspiration, and I never liked it. It was the red headed stepchild of all my caches.

Roughshod was one of the first caches I found. I rode my mountain bike to it from home. It was cool to see the aspen trees growing up through the old relic. More than two years after finding it, I still remember the experience...definitely not uninspiring. So, inspired is definitely in the eye of the finder.

My lamest cache hasn't been written up yet, but the idea is firmly in place. I'm working on a 3 mile bushwhack night cache through the Ocala National Forest that is taking all my spare time. If, when I finally submit the night cache, I still want to create a stinker, I'll write it up then. It's gonna be called "SDOEL", in honor of the Staunch Defenders Of Everything Lame, and will be a metal film canister plonked under a light pole skirt in a boring section of a boring strip mall.

When I moved back to Alvin, TX in May of 2005 there had been no caches placed here since 2003! That was unacceptable so I made it my mission to put Alvin on the caching map. I figured if I placed them somebody would come out and play with me…sure nuff it worked! Since then those original lame caches have either been archived or gone thru extreme makeovers. Ok to touch on the OP topic can you say Walmart, it was my first hide of that type…but I didn’t let stay around to long.

Pepper

When I first started contemplating caches, I was amazed by the kind of virtual immortality some local prolific placers had achieved. Most of that was from placing several lamp-skirt-micro cache series ... the obligatory Wal-Mart series (Always), competing Target series (Not Always vs. Bullseye), competing dead end series (End of the Road vs. Road Closed), and more. I even contributed a few hides to the End of the Road series.

Since immortality is one of my personal goals, I thought "Since I love 7-Eleven Slurpees, why not start an 'Oh Thank Heaven' series?" I mapped out every 7-Eleven in the area (60+), and began my quest. I started with three, then dropped two more in the series.

Right around then, I saw a quote in someone's sig (was it you, Clan Riffster?) that said something like "Anyone whose idea of geocaching is finding film cans in the bushes outside every Burger King along the eastern seaboard needs to take up knitting." Plus I got a "Oh no, not *ANOTHER* parking lot micro series" note from the local reviewer attached to one of those hides.

That did it for me ... I finally got the message, and have been working on avoiding placing lame hides ever since. I've been hoping that these all end up missing on their own so I can archive them.

Unfortunately, some other local cachers loved the OTH series and asked if they could start adding to it (as if they needed my permission, oddly enough). They're up to #17 in the series so far, with no sign of stopping.

My apologies to the caching community for continuing to spread this virus.

Having said that, I did try to turn that ship around somewhat with End of the Road # 28. Instead of a film can in a sign post park-n-grab, it's half-mile round-trip hike to a toolbox with a mini-puzzle you have to solve to open the padlock.

Edited by ePeterso2
My lamest cache hasn't been written up yet, but the idea is firmly in place.

My lamest cache never got submitted. I started a thread about using the forums to hide a puzzle cache, because of an idea I had for a hide in the little park at the end of the street where the Snoogstress lived before she moved in with me. I spent most of my time at her place and we walked to dogs there often. Plus, there were no caches in that park.

I hid a micro in an interesting knothole I had first noticed driving bye the park and just kept putting off writing it up and submitting it. I checked on it about 8 months later when we were moving and it was gone. I just knew it was a bad idea deep down.

I WILL get around to using that thread to hide a cache some day......

I do have an idea for a LPC combining 2 ideas that JoGPS told me about and utilizing a tool that Saxman clued me in about. I just havent found the perfect lightpole to do it yet. :lol:

The blame goes to my muse. When she speaks, I listen. All my caches are inspired, but not always inspiring.

There is one exception.

Roughshod That one sucked, had no inspiration, and I never liked it. It was the red headed stepchild of all my caches.

Roughshod was one of the first caches I found. I rode my mountain bike to it from home. It was cool to see the aspen trees growing up through the old relic. More than two years after finding it, I still remember the experience...definitely not uninspiring. So, inspired is definitely in the eye of the finder.

You should see the one I TRIED to place and could'nt. Too many no trespassing signs between the road and the Dredge. It would have been one of the best of the best...

<snip>

I do have an idea for a LPC combining 2 ideas that JoGPS told me about and utilizing a tool that Saxman clued me in about. I just havent found the perfect lightpole to do it yet. :wub:

I have a very strong idea of what you may be thinking (or it could just be a strong assumption) I've had a similar idea and I even have the parts ready to go - would really get your attention when you lift the skirt :D:cool::cool: . Just cant bring myself to do it just yet.

back on topic

I do not consider any of my caches lame - each one had some sort of special meaning even if it was to me.

Although, I would consider my very first hide a pretty lame if it was still up and running. Pretty funny I even saved all the emails that I exchanged with my VCR pleading my case (how pathetic).

Bear's River Side Pine Tree Hide is probably my least inspired.... I did it as a bust on pine tree hides, cause I really don't like them, and to meet a requirement of the original Coin Quest game. I wouldn't consider it to be an extremely lame hide, but it was my least inspired. If I go out at lunch to check on it it's a 2 mile walk round trip, so at least it gives me some exercise. :cool: