Moving Caches

swhite7000

I have read about some now grandfathered moving caches in which a travelbug that is attached to a small container and a logbook travels around from cache to cache and is all listed on geocaching.com as a cache. Where are they? Any examples? Links?

A moving cache doesn't need the travel bug tag. The last one I saw was about 2 years ago. Since they don't have special icons and are not a special cache type...they are hard to find.

I know of two.

One

Two

Neither appears to be on your list, Lord Elwood.

On this one, the cache page says that it is hidden but the log says someone has it so I can't go look for it. It seems weird to have a cache that is in someone's possession for so long that it is out of commission so much.

Exactly. That's one of the many reasons no new ones are listed here.

Edited by Dinoprophet
I have read about some now grandfathered moving caches in which a travelbug that is attached to a small container and a logbook travels around from cache to cache and is all listed on geocaching.com as a cache. Where are they? Any examples? Links?

IIRC, any moving caches that are brought to the attention of a reviewer or admin will be archived.

I'd seen an old cache that was converted into travel bug tag. I don't think logging the archived cache page was permissible.

And then there is this cool series by NFA. Not exactly what you are looking for, but still pretty neat.

IIRC, any moving caches that are brought to the attention of a reviewer or admin will be archived.

Judging by the timing and the archive note, my guess is that one wasn't really a moving cache. More like a "sit on the table at an event cache and log it" pocket lint cache.

That's exactly what it was. Grandfathered moving caches are still OK as far as I know, but if one is archived it will not be unarchived.

Judging by the timing and the archive note, my guess is that one wasn't really a moving cache. More like a "sit on the table at an event cache and log it" pocket lint cache.

So, shooting fish in a barrel is bad form, but trying to catch Walter is cool! :lol:

It was moving at one time. That was a lot of fun.

I missed it twice by about 45 minutes each time. I got chased and stung by a swarm of hornets and twisted my ankle really bad while running for cover in a thunderstorm. It took me a good two months to finally log this one. I had a blast hunting this it, really!