Mapsource Beta 6.12.0

Available here.

Looks like quite a few new features.

* Changed the default file format to GDB version 3.

* Added web links. This feature allows user created internet search options to appear on context menus. These search options can use either location or name information.

* Added a MiniMap.

* Added new waypoint symbols (contacts, geocache, hunting, etc.).

* Added support for multiple links on waypoints, routes, and tracks.

* Added additional guidance for the user when clicking on the ?View in Google Earth? menu item.

* Added support for writing waypoints, routes, and tracks to SD cards for new chart plotters.

* Enhanced the driving directions page in the route dialog to provide additional statistics.

* Added two options to the routing preference ?Try to Avoid? list: ferries and seasonal road closures.

* Added support for multi-line comments for waypoints.

* Added a transfer preference to specify if (and which) serial ports should be searched for Garmin devices. This should solve problems for users that have badly behaved internal modems that cause MapSource to hang.

* Added the ability to join tracks from the Tracks page.

* Added track color to the list on the Tracks page.

* Changed the behavior of the track draw tool to populate the elevation in tracks if the map product has DEM elevation data.

* Changed several feature symbols (mountain peak, city, and airport) to be smaller so they don?t obscure as much of the map. This only applies when the large symbol size is selected.

* Adjusted the layout of several preference pages for improved usability.

* Changed the behavior of several dialogs to ignore the degree symbol in user provided coordinate strings.

* Fixed an issue when selecting map sets larger than 4 GB in size.

* Fixed an issue with saving files to offline network drives.

* Fixed an issue with preserving line feeds inside of comments in GPX files.

I think that I will stick with my custom icons. If Garmin would like a good template they should check this forum. I wish that they would market geocaching software with every thing we need. I would buy that.

Nuwati

I already sent an email to Garmin, but I will ask this here, also. How does my 76CS recognize the new waypoint icons without a firmware update? I must be overlooking something very basic, but for the life of me I cannot come up with a solution. I do have the nifty custom cache icons on the GPSr and PC, btw.

Celestial Info doesn't work.

No problem with it here... just the new icons...so it looks like an update in firmware mgiht solve that one.

Could you post a screen shot of the celestial info dialog box? My MapSource does nothing when I select it.

hmmm, my celestial doesn't do anything either on the Beta...

I did notice that it left the old version (pre-beta) loaded and the old one pops up as a default on double clicks..

I think that I will stick with my custom icons. If Garmin would like a good template they should check this forum. I wish that they would market geocaching software with every thing we need. I would buy that.

Nuwati

I guess I'll have to stick with customs also, since it does not look like the 60C can recognize the new icons and I doubt Garmin will provide a firmware update for us "old timers".. :ph34r:

Celestial Info doesn't work.

No problem with it here... just the new icons...so it looks like an update in firmware mgiht solve that one.

Could you post a screen shot of the celestial info dialog box? My MapSource does nothing when I select it.

hmmm, my celestial doesn't do anything either on the Beta...

I did notice that it left the old version (pre-beta) loaded and the old one pops up as a default on double clicks..

Screen Shot

CeleScrn.jpg

The screenshot looks like it is from 6.11.6 .....NOT the 6.12.0 Beta.

After the 6.12 installation, you have to change the shortcut path to look for the new exe. Otherwise. the old shortcut opens the old version.

Celestial iinfo does nothing in the beta.

Thanks for the tip. After finding where they put it, I just created a new shortcut so I would have both handy. The pointer for gdb had already been set for the Beta version, so opening an existing gdb file was already opening in the Beta version.

i downloaded the file it unzips but it does not work, same thing with the map source update 6.11.6.0, i download them they unzip but i can't get them to work, doing something wrong?

I'm not sure, but try just double clicking the file, I think it's a self extracting file, you could have gotten a bad download, that happened to me, try downloading again

Edited by Jim W

i downloaded the file it unzips but it does not work, same thing with the map source update 6.11.6.0, i download them they unzip but i can't get them to work, doing something wrong?

I'm not sure, but try just double clicking the file, I think it's a self extracting file, you could have gotten a bad download, that happened to me, try downloading again

just looked at the update on Garmin web site will not support windows 98 ! thats what i'am running, i don't know if thats why, i loaded v8 NT ok just can't get mapsource to update, when you download the file does it have to down load into a garmin folder or can you download it to the desk top and then unzip from there?

Links were allowed before. The change is to allow multiple links from what I can see.

This change looks promising.

Added support for multi-line comments for waypoints.

Did you see this? We can hope for handheld to be included......

# Added support for writing waypoints, routes, and tracks to SD cards for new chart plotters.

Seems it was not just me!!!!!!!!!!

Changes made from version 6.12.0.1 to 6.12.0.2:

Fixed an issue at startup with CD-based MapSource map products.

Fixed an issue when printing route driving directions.

Fixed an issue with auto-routes either not overlaying the roads on detailed maps.

Fixed an issue with auto-routes generating point-to-point routes.

Fixed an issue with the Celestial Info dialog not being displayed.