posting 'not founds'

geoplummie

Geoplummie here. I been talking to fellow cachers about posting 'not founds' and boy, are they a lot of different opinions out there!

Here are just a few of the comments I've heard people say they...

A. never post 'not founds', cause it makes them feel stupid.

2. those who do post 'not founds' are the quick cachers who give up after a 5minute search.

C. post 'not founds' because it alerts the cache owner to a possible problem.

3. that if people don't post 'not founds' then how will others know about problems finding the cache.

D. look at the 'last found date' and if it has been several weeks/months since the cache has been found, then that is a good indicator there is problem; so why bother to post a 'not found'.

4. email the cache owner instead of posting a 'not found', so the owner can monitor the site.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS AND VIEWS ON THE SUBJECT??? :anibad:

I agree with El Diablo, I always post my DNF's. It gives the cache owner a heads up that there might be a problem,but I have been known to Not Find a 1/1 cache too so that wouldnt hold too much ground either... :anibad: I think I enjoy reading about a cachers DNF more than one that they have found too.

If you search for a cache there are two possible outcomes. You find the cache or you don't. There are log types for each of them. Use the appropriate one and log the results of your search.

There is nothing stupid about logging a DNF. In addition, emailing the owner about a DNF isn't that good IMHO as it doesn't alert other cachers who may head out to find it before the owner has a chance to check.

I log ALL of my DNFs. About 75% of the time, there's nothing wrong with the cache, usually I either can't find a challenging cache in a reasonable time or there are too many people around for me to hunt without compromising the location. It's important to be specific in your DNF logs, so that others can tell whether there may be a problem with the cache ("Found a pile of sticks, a ziplock bag, and a cache-shaped depression" on a 1/1) or the cacher ("As I began searching, my flashlight burned out, and I had no luck groping around in the dark"). I even had two this weekend, one which I believe is actually missing and another in a location that ended up being just too busy to search well.

I post my DNFs to the cache page, usually with a bit of infof about how hard I really looked. If you are the next person there, you'll know if I looked everywhere I could think of twice, or just looked for two minutes quick minutes in the spot where I thought it was supposed to be.

If I feel like the cache really is missing, I will also email the cache owner to tell them where I searched and what I saw (or didn't see) at the site.

The cache might still be there, and I could have missed it, but at least that gives the owner a good idea of whether or not they need to take a look at the cache. And it doesn't give away any of the cache secrets to someone who hasn't been there yet.

Edited by Neos2

I post a DNF when I have exausted everthing I can think of in looking for that cache.

If something gets in the way, it's dark, I have to leave due to another obligation, I'm mugged etc. Those are not related to the cache's hide difficulty and so I post a note.

My DNF allows the owner to gage how difficult the cache is to find, or if it's supposed to be an easy find alert them that there may be a problem.

My notes are middle ground. The cache might have been found in the next place I looked but why rate it hard if I decided to leave for a reason other than the cache getting the best of me?

Geoplummie here. I been talking to fellow cachers about posting 'not founds' and boy, are they a lot of different opinions out there!

2. those who do post 'not founds' are the quick cachers who give up after a 5minute search.

3. that if people don't post 'not founds' then how will others know about problems finding the cache.

D. look at the 'last found date' and if it has been several weeks/months since the cache has been found, then that is a good indicator there is problem; so why bother to post a 'not found'.

4. email the cache owner instead of posting a 'not found', so the owner can monitor the site.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS AND VIEWS ON THE SUBJECT??? :P

A. actually they are right, they are stupid, because they don't help the cache owner and other cachers.

C. Absolutely correct

D. Some caches require some effort to get to them, thats why there are not so often found compared to the parking lot keyholders.

4. doesn't help other geocachers, because there might be some time untill the cache owner responds

GermanSailor

I always log my DNFs and strongly agree with Briansnat but I find that most of the locals are either embarassed or just don't use them. I often see logs like "finally found it on my 5th try out here...." - but no DNF logs. I try.

I don't find that to be the case at all. Many of the "locals" either were new are now just getting started. Some don't know about logging the DNFs some probably don't even know what DNF means. I actually seen quite a few of the locals log a DNF on several of the caches. I have a couple of those "found after my 5th try", but those logs came in my first month probably the first two weeks of geocaching. Since finding the DNF and write a note, I log all of my DNFs. Also some of the "locals" also read the forums. Just FYI

I always log something regardless of the outcome. Not only is it helpful to log a DNF for the reasons stated above, but it also helps me keep track of my caching history as well. I've attempted to find a few caches several times and I have always posted a note, if nothing else, to say that I've tried again with no luck.

Steve

Despite all the great advice here, in practice you'll find that most (a vast majority, perhaps?) people do not log their DNFs.

This was determined a while back by a group in the geocaching chat room. Collectively, we determined that we had somewhere around a 85%-90% success rate in finding caches. That is, 10%-15% of our logs were DNFs. Although our sample is rather small (a handful of people), I propose that we represented the geocaching population well. If anything, we were all fairly experienced.

Checking the most recent logs posted on Geocaching.com (is that still a feature?) showed that far fewer than 10% of the posted logs were DNFs. The rate was around 2% or 3%.

This was a couple of years ago. Although times may have changed, I'd be surprised if more people logged DNFs than did then.

Further, if you read through logs, you'll encounted lots of people who say things such as "Took me three tries to find this one," or "We were out here last week and didn't find it..." but those claims are rarely supported by a DNF.

I'm not sure if the forum community is more likely to post DNFs, or if it's just those who do post DNFs who reply to threads such as this. There is clearly a discrepency between people who claim to log DNFs and the number of actual DNFs logged.

(I'm not suggesting people are lying. I'm saying that one rarely reads a post which says, "I don't log my DNFs" yet that's the overwhelming action.)

Jamie

There isn't a clear cut line when I log a DNF. It depends on level of muggled potential, the past log entries on Finds/DNF, and difficulty of the cache. Sometimes, a 5 minute search will justify a DNF but sometimes it'll take hours and several attempts before a DNF is logged.

However, if I feel confident I have exhausted the possibilities and determine the cache hasn't been found, I'll be glad to log a DNF. It lets future cachers and the owner know of a possible problem. I usually will also follow it up with an email to the owner specifying where, how long, and the conditions of my hunt. Most that I have emailed have been thankful for the information.

This usually doesn't hold true but has to be based on location, difficulty, and proximity to civilazation. I have found caches in mint condition despite not being logged for over 6 months. I have two on my "must do" list that haven't been logged in over a year due to difficulty (requires boat, long paddle, hike, etc). However, I've done other caches by the owner and know thier caches are well taken care of so I confident they are still there.

I always log my DNFs and strongly agree with Briansnat but I find that most of the locals are either embarassed or just don't use them. I often see logs like "finally found it on my 5th try out here...." - but no DNF logs. I try.

I don't find that to be the case at all. Many of the "locals" either were new are now just getting started. Some don't know about logging the DNFs some probably don't even know what DNF means. I actually seen quite a few of the locals log a DNF on several of the caches. I have a couple of those "found after my 5th try", but those logs came in my first month probably the first two weeks of geocaching. Since finding the DNF and write a note, I log all of my DNFs. Also some of the "locals" also read the forums. Just FYI

I was actually reffering to a few of the Bridgeport, Sidney, Ogallala and Alliance, Cheyenne cachers....Most of the Scottsbluff and Torrington cachers do log them.....I know you do.

I cache and travel in a fairly big area but to me it is all local. Also With over 100 hides I get a lot of logs on mine all the time and I very often see comments like I posted above. I stand by the comment.

Edited by StarBrand

UPDATE FROM GEOPLUMMIE: I just want everyone to know I appreciate their comments and/or suggestions. We've gotten a wide variety of answers, but one thing I'd like to make clear is that I am always hesitant to 'give up the search'. I've been know to search 30minutes in a location, but frustrated to the point of swearing when all of sudden ..... as if by magic, the cache appears before me. ha ha

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS AND VIEWS ON THE SUBJECT??? :huh:

I post my DNFs. The last time I did the owner realized that they had posted the wrong coordinates. The DNF can be very helpful to the cache owner. Things can happen to the cache such as floods, wind, muggles etc. I also read the logs for DNFs to see if the cache has any problems before I go caching.

I did not log DNFs consistently until recently. I'm not sure why, but I didn't. Now I do. What impressed me was the number of recent DNFs that led, or helped lead, to the owner checking up on the cache and replacing it. I'm not sure if that is just coincidence, but the majority of the caches I've recently logged as DNF were actually missing.

I always post my DNF's. I had someone post a DNF on one of my caches 2 days ago. The log states it had possibly been muggled. The email I got from the cacher gave me more specific information, such as actual area, description of cammo, and the tether that was used, but no cache. From this it was apparent that it had been muggled, and an immediate trip to the site confirmed this, and allowed me to disable the cache within about 30 minutes.

I always post my DNF's. I had someone post a DNF on one of my caches 2 days ago. The log states it had possibly been muggled. The email I got from the cacher gave me more specific information, such as actual area, description of cammo, and the tether that was used, but no cache. From this it was apparent that it had been muggled, and an immediate trip to the site confirmed this, and allowed me to disable the cache within about 30 minutes.

I always post DNF's. I don't feel this in any way makes me seem like an inept hunter. Occassionally, everyone misses one, but generally the DNF alerts the cache owner and other cachers that there might be a potential problem.