Signature labels

I just use a pen - seriously how long does it take to write the date?? :unsure: Probably just as long to hunt and circle.

Personally never saw such a sticker in any log I've seen - most stickers have a few graphics and geo name is all. I tend not to like sticker logs.

Edited by StarBrand

I used MS Publisher to print onto an address label. I used the image in my avatar (just the picture) on the left hand side. The to the right of that says:

Found by EVEL Bug

Tonawanda, NY

Date: ___________

I write the date on the line. I also have the same design scaled down and on a return address label for micros.

I'd say to stay away from stickers entirely, but that's just a personal opinion. I feel that stickers look... cheap. Well, that's not quite the word I want, but in general, it makes it look like you didn't care enough about either the cache, or the scenery, or the area, or anything to dignify it with anything more than a 1/4 second sticker-slapped-on-paper notification that you were there. It's kinda saying "This cache isn't worth the time it would take to pull out a pen and move my wrist around".

Again, that's just my opinion.

However, if you want to design a sticker, don't let me hold you back. However... trying to fit an entire calendar of days on a sticker would require the numbers to be EXTREMELY small, if you wanted the sticker small enough to fit on a micro-log. I'd probably suggest having a small line where you write the month/day number, but otherwise I'd suggest it being thusly:

-----------------------------

|..........Your name.........|

|M 01 02 03 04 (until 12)|

|D 01 02 03 04 (until 15)|

|16 17 18 19 20(until 31)|

-----------------------------

That way, it's kept down to four lines of text, and the D and M help even out the spacing due to the 16 characters on the last line. If you wanted a calendar sticker, that's how I'd do it, anyway.

I would suggest not bothering. They can be irritating when, as an owner, you go to a cache where the log sheets should hold 50 signatures each and find about 20 on each page because of all the stickers and stamps that take up too much space. Of course, this is in micros.

In larger caches, the irritant is that people don't realize you can put more than one log on a page and that paper is two sided, but we'll save that for another thread.

Love the rite in the rain pen I use. Also enjoy looking at others handwriting.

I've got a rubber stamp I use that says "If this falls into the hands of the Russians, it's curtains for the free world."

Not particularly relevant to geocaching (or maybe it is) but I think it's funny and, after all, it's all about me.

I like stickers! Yes, they take up some space, but I find it interesting to see the creativity folks put into them. Plus, alot of times, I have a really hard time reading bad handwriting that's even worse because it was written in the rain, or on the edge of a cliff or with wind... And, it's easy to glance through a log book and recoginze stickers of other cachers - much easier than deciphering some signatures.

I also always write something under my sticker. I am mildly offended that some think

"it makes it look like you didn't care enough about either the cache, or the scenery, or the area, or anything to dignify it with anything more than a 1/4 second sticker-slapped-on-paper notification that you were there. It's kinda saying "This cache isn't worth the time it would take to pull out a pen and move my wrist around"."

Come on! We always take time to write stuff and the point (for us) of going to caches is to appreciate these neat places. We almost always spend time in the area if it is worthy of time spent. (Walmart micros don't count.) The only time I won't write a decent log is if the cache is just that dull. :(

And, I've never seen a sticker fall off of the paper - but it could be that it's not very cold down here in TX.

I do like the stamp idea... may do that when I have more free time... for now, I'm going to keep using my stickers. Just my version of the game. :P

I'd say to stay away from stickers entirely, but that's just a personal opinion. I feel that stickers look... cheap. Well, that's not quite the word I want, but in general, it makes it look like you didn't care enough about either the cache, or the scenery, or the area, or anything to dignify it with anything more than a 1/4 second sticker-slapped-on-paper notification that you were there. It's kinda saying "This cache isn't worth the time it would take to pull out a pen and move my wrist around".

What's more cheap?

• A colorful sticker that someone took some time to design so it looks distinctive in the logbook
  • "10-27-06 Some Cacher -TNLNSL"

Love the rite in the rain pen I use. Also enjoy looking at others handwriting.

I've got a rubber stamp I use that says "If this falls into the hands of the Russians, it's curtains for the free world."

Not particularly relevant to geocaching (or maybe it is) but I think it's funny and, after all, it's all about me.

A-hem. You've obviously never met me. :P

I love using stickers, primarily because I don't expect anyone to actually remember our name. The symbol on the sticker provides the clearest form of name recognition in our case. If the micro log is too small for even a return adress label, then I'll write it by hand, but it doesn't help much with a name like this, and I feel cheated out of a satisfying sign-in. I love to see other people's stickers, too, and I'm far less likely to remember or even notice the hand-written ones. That's just the way I like it. I guess I'm just a visual learner. Colors! Give me colors!

What's more cheap?

• A colorful sticker that someone took some time to design so it looks distinctive in the logbook
  • "10-27-06 Some Cacher -TNLNSL"

So they took 20 minutes sizing the clipart to fit properly. Then they printed 1000 of them. That's not much effort-per-sticker in my book.

I don't mind, and even like, stickers and stamps when the cacher uses them properly, as an adjunct to a thoughtfully written log in a full-size logbook.

Stickers (and stamps) in a micro-log, that take up five lines, burn my biscuits. Especially if they leave me nowhere to sign.

Then there is always the haunting question: Was this team really here, or did they hand a roll of stickers to their caching buddies?

I have a series of Geopelli (Kokopelli with a GPSr) stickers that I apply to the larger logbooks, but never in a micro log.

Stamps, stickers, or the pen I don't think it really matters how you leave your mark. Personally I had a stamp made with my own design and slogan. I had this made because of the origins of geocaching...letter boxing. Plus, I had never seen and log book stamped in any of the caches I had found so I thought I would maybe start a new trend in my community. I eventually would like to put this design on wooden coins and maybe someday...a geocoin. Yes...I have a dream!

Anyway I have placed a Micro and have no problems with anybody that wishes to add a stamp or sticker to the log. Just let me know when the log book is full, I have plenty of paper for a new log!

Prestwick Geocaching....As the Crow Flies.