First To Finds

Nope. It is quite disheartening, but first to sign the log is FTF. Yes, this is why I don't have that many FTFs. I do have to work for a living. I took an afternoon off to go for an FTF, and beat out someone who works thirty miles away by about twenty minutes! First to sign the log is FTF. Such is life. Oherwise, we'll have people wanting: FTF by a Female. FTF by a family with children. FTF by left-handed people.

Sign log first, claim FTF.

I fall into the second category. I work five days a week, and at least once or twice a week, the shifts are 16 hours. I've been FTF on the way to work, after work and on my days off. I've been FTF between the hours of 0400 and 2300. I've still managed to bag 117 FTFs in just over two years. You'll feel better knowing, that you can't get every FTF.

I think that there should be two catagories of FTF. One being for those who do not work such as the independantly wealthy or retired and the second for the rest of us who have to work for a living and can not take off on a Monday - Friday mid day to grab the new first to finds. Let me know what you think?

Just go hunt this Cache everyone gets to be FTF.

I think that there should be two catagories of FTF. One being for those who do not work such as the independantly wealthy or retired and the second for the rest of us who have to work for a living and can not take off on a Monday - Friday mid day to grab the new first to finds. Let me know what you think?

Hey I like that idea for a cache....I gotta use it in Tennessee

That was worth reading - I cracked up, with my niece wondering 'what's so funny'? Clever idea for a cache!

So what you are proposing is something like FTFAOG?

(First to find after old geezers)

So what you are proposing is something like FTFAOG?

(First to find after old geezers)

In our area it is FTFAG

(First to find after g-o-cashers)

I too work M-F 9-5 (really 8-6) but have 40 FTFs out of 425 finds. I guess it just depends on timing, location and drive. Could I go out at 4 am for a FTF, yeah, but I haven't. I have done 12:30 am and 6:30 am. Timing. Could I get a FTF on my "lunch" hour? Yeah, if it is close enough. Location. I even have gotten 3 FTFs in Canada. Drive.

I will always be FTFATLCTFI. (First To Find After The Last Cacher To find It)

Loch Cache

Hello SmokingMonkeys

I'm from your area, I see you have 2 FTFPs (as I like to call them, FTF Published), one was only 16 miles from my home location.

This means we hunt in the same area. I have a bit over 30 FTFPs since moving to Manchester about a year and a half ago. I'm not a geezer and I do have a full time job. (Now to be fair my job is flexible, not so much that I can head out in the middle of the day but I have some start and end time flexibility.)

So, the real question is... where were you this morning? WETLANDS was published last night, I was there around 6:20AM.

I was also second, not first, but that was almost the luck of the draw, I caught up to D3OFUS on the trail and we walked to GZ together. Both our GPS were bouncy at the time.

Where were you on Monday morning? I set my alarm at 4:45AM to grab the 2 I got.

The fact that it is hard to do makes it all the more worthwhile when it gets done.

And look me up at the next Bread and Roses Event, I'll buy you a beer and we can swap stories about the ones we got, the ones that got away and lost sleep.

Paul

B):):) I'm dyin' here. Pert near piddled m'self. Lot's of creativity on that one. B):D:D

I guess you could also take into account not everyone that works has a Monday-Friday 9-5 job. I work shift work so I have different schedules every few months. Right now I happen to work Sat, Sun, Mon,Tues from 9pm-7am. So if something is published in the middle of the week is is MY weekend. And if it was published on your weekend, then it is MY work week and I can't go to those.

It all turns out fair in the end...

Here is one way to defeat an FTF hound. :)

Last night I was working late on a project, and saw a cache pop up near home. (30 miles away.)

I ignored it, and kept working. When I was ready to leave, I checked, and another hide by the same team had been listed. I went back to the first one, and saw one of my caching buddies had tried the first cache, but there was something wrong with the numbers, and GZ was in someone's backyard!

Well, from the picture on the cache page, I knew where the cache was, so I copied the numbers for both caches, and headed home. I managed the FTF on the latest listing, and as I was inputting numbers for the first listing, I noticed that it had the identical W coords as the one I just found.

So, I reasoned that if I went to the location, positioned myself on the N numbers, and projected along that line, I might make the grab. (The picture was of a fountain at the entrance to a gated community, so I hoped the hiding spots would be limited.)

Well, unfortunatley, the N numbers put me right in the middle of the planter in front of the guard shack. This hider had done this once before, so I turned off my light, ducked under the window where the guard was sitting, and felt around the planter for 10 minutes...no joy.

As I was leaving, I looked across the street. I had ignored it at first since there was a fence blocking off the empty lot, however now I noticed a large green transformer box there. As I returned to my car to drive across the street, a car coming the other way lit me up with a spotlight! Yep, the police were there to see why I was parked illegally with my hazards on. I told them everything was fine, that I had to stop to check something. He waved and drove off. Whew!

I got across the road, and sure enough, the North numbers intersected the transformer, and I found the cache. I logged the FTF, and couldn't wait to razz my buddy. By the time I got home to log it, the hider had figured out her coordinate error, and sent in the corrected numbers. Unfortunately, the real postion of the cache was only 350 feet away from the final of a puzzle cache!

The cache was unlisted, so I have fun memories, but no find for the effort. :)

The reality is that there are a lot of people that have time off sometime during M-F and work S-S. There are also a lot of people off during the day and working at night. So, caches show up all days of the week and some people are off all days of the week. No matter what, it will be inconvenient or impossible for some people to be FTF on some caches because they are working no matter what day of the week it is. On the flip side, some people will have a good advantage of being off work and able to go look and be FTF no matter what day of the week it is.

Briansnat, that is very devious and I love it. Here is the the method I use as a hider to thwart the FTF hounds. Fill out the GC form for a new cache already hidden and submit it but don't actually hide the cache until 2 days later. Works every time! <_<

Really people, lighten up! There must be more in life to worry about than this.

Saving for our trip to Mission 4: Southern Bowl, Brazil <_<

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Here is how I thwart the FTF hounds. I'm surprised nobody else thought of this. When I get notification of a new cache, I immediately log a Found It. All the FTF hounds see that it was already found and don't bother with it. I then can hunt it at my leisure.

Why bother logging it online. When I finally go to search for the cache, I just cross out the names of all the people that signed the physical log before me. Then I when I get home I claim a FTF and invite the cache owner and anyone else to check the physical log for proof. <_<

Here is how I thwart the FTF hounds. I'm surprised nobody else thought of this. When I get notification of a new cache, I immediately log a Found It. All the FTF hounds see that it was already found and don't bother with it. I then can hunt it at my leisure.

Why bother logging it online. When I finally go to search for the cache, I just cross out the names of all the people that signed the physical log before me. Then I when I get home I claim a FTF and invite the cache owner and anyone else to check the physical log for proof. <_<

I rip out the pages. Crossing out the entries leaves evidence.

<_<

Good to know I wasn't the only one who at least thought this.

I Did something like that with a new cache that was only about one mile from my house, I posted a note that I was on my way to the cache about 1 minute after it was posted. It was a publice service for my fellow cachers that they could stay home and relax <_<

As far as the those that work full time, I was getting quite a few FTF while I was still working full time, most of the cache were getting posted late at night. I would leave any time of the day or night in any kind of weather. I was gettong so may FTFs that some of the locals gave on even trying to get a FTF. In one cache the log had a place that said First to Find reserved for Johnny Vegas.

I rip out the pages. Crossing out the entries leaves evidence.

56401SAN.jpg

As far as the those that work full time, I was getting quite a few FTF while I was still working full time, most of the cache were getting posted late at night.

Most of the big FTFers in my area work full time. Its just that they are willing to get on the road at 4 a.m. and don't hesitate to drive 30+ miles out of their way to bag a FTF on their way to work.