Xmas 2006 Geocoins

ranger216

***Personal religious opinion follows***

So far I haven't seen anything Christian about these coins. IMHO Christmas with the trees, gifts and such is no longer a Christian holiday but a commercial one. The coins as portrayed don't have a cross, creche, star or baby Jesus on them.

I know what you are saying..

I had contemplated putting a Nativity scene on a coin.. but don't you think thats a little tacky?

Then I had considered something along those lines saying "The reason for the Season"

I just dont know a good way to approach this and this is one of the reasons I made the post I did..

thanks for your feedback

So far I haven't seen anything Christian about these coins. IMHO Christmas with the trees, gifts and such is no longer a Christian holiday but a commercial one. The coins as portrayed don't have a cross, creche, star or baby Jesus on them.

I had contemplated putting a Nativity scene on a coin.. but don't you think thats a little tacky?

Then I had considered something along those lines saying "The reason for the Season"

I just dont know a good way to approach this and this is one of the reasons I made the post I did..

thanks for your feedback

*****Another Personal Opinion Follows*****

Maybe that is why this was posted as Xmax 2006 Geocoins, a term which in my opinion is bad, as in fact it does take the Christ out of Christmas

No disrespect intended or meant for the OP, any other religous beliefs, or any one else, just my personal opinion.

thanks for your feedback

Maybe that is why this was posted as Xmax 2006 Geocoins, a term which in my opinion is bad, as in fact it does take the Christ out of Christmas

No disrespect intended or meant for the OP, any other religous beliefs, or any one else, just my personal opinion.

You are 100% correct..

I should have posted it as "Happy Holidays 2006 Geocoin Set"

When I was reading down through all of the posts, I was thinking about ideas for other Winter-time holidays (different cache symbols on a dreidel, for example, with the idea being that you spin it to decide which type of cache to hunt next), but realized that A: none of the other three images are directly religious, and B: there's nowhere to stop once you get going. Someone will be offended, either for leaving them out, or for using them. In other words, you can't win :D

So, let's leave things at the "Happy Holidays" stage. And here's my idea for the fourth coin. None of the three given actually take us outside. Well, maybe the snowman. Anyway, why not have a couple of folks on cross-country skis, at a tree with a cache in/under it? Caching is an outdoor game; put the last coin directly out-of-doors.

Gotta admit, though, I like the idea of a BBQ grille :D I've lived in Southern California almost all my life, and I can remember some Christmases celebrated on the patio, after a day in the pool, eating hamburgers and hot dogs, or with Chinese stir-dry, because it was too hot to roast a turkey or ham :D

All in how you WANT to view it... B)

I used to think the exact thing as what you posted above.

Until one day in Walmart a few years ago we were looking through some Christmas cards.

After seeing several cards with "X-mas" on them, I made a similar comment out loud.

A little old lady standing near me said, "Honey, they can't take Christ out of Christmas. Just turn your head a little and you can still see Him there."

To which, she held up one of the cards in question, tilted it just a bit and said, "I don't know about you, but that x looks like a Cross to me."

Well what do you know!! :D Changed how I saw it from that point on!! :D

Kinda back on topic...

Just make sure if you have the 3 wise men on one of the coins that they are wearing the proper head gear - FIRE HELMETS!!

A New York fellow, while traveling through a small town in Georgia, saw a nativity scene at a local Baptist Church that was quite unique. The three wise men were wearing fireman's helmets! He stopped at a coffee shop at the edge of town, and asked the lady behind the counter about the helmets. She exploded into a rage, yelling at him, "You dang Yankees never do read the Bible!" He assured her that he did, but simply couldn't recall anything about firemen in the Bible. She jerked her Bible from behind the counter and ruffled through some pages, and finally jabbed her finger at a passage. Sticking it in his face she said "See, it says right here, 'The three wise men came from afar !"

B)<_<:D:blink::D:o:D:D

D-man B)

Edited by gridlox

When I was reading down through all of the posts, I was thinking about ideas for other Winter-time holidays (different cache symbols on a dreidel, for example, with the idea being that you spin it to decide which type of cache to hunt next), but realized that A: none of the other three images are directly religious, and B: there's nowhere to stop once you get going. Someone will be offended, either for leaving them out, or for using them. In other words, you can't win :o

So, let's leave things at the "Happy Holidays" stage. And here's my idea for the fourth coin. None of the three given actually take us outside. Well, maybe the snowman. Anyway, why not have a couple of folks on cross-country skis, at a tree with a cache in/under it? Caching is an outdoor game; put the last coin directly out-of-doors.

Gotta admit, though, I like the idea of a BBQ grille :blink: I've lived in Southern California almost all my life, and I can remember some Christmases celebrated on the patio, after a day in the pool, eating hamburgers and hot dogs, or with Chinese stir-dry, because it was too hot to roast a turkey or ham <_<

I think I am going along your lines...

It looks like it will end up being a 5 coin set

with a cost hopefuilly in the 6.50 per coin price range

love both your ideas and am closing in on my final idea

I had contemplating putting a Nativity scene on a coin.. but don't you think thats a little tacky?

thanks for your feedback

It is a Christmas coin, I don't see anything wrong with a Nativity scene. I wouldn't doctor it up to be anything other than what it is, but would keep it simple.

As far as leaving anyone out, it's a Christmas coin and that is 'the reason for the season' (at least in the beginning). Let's face it, if someone wants to be offended, they will be no matter what you do. Every coin is not for everyone. I know there are some I don't particularly like, so I just don't collect those. I certainly don't want to offend anyone, but if it's a Christmas coin it should be about Christmas. Same goes if someone wants to make a Hanukkah coin, I wouldn't expect them to put a Christian spin on it. Just my 2 cents...

Another possible idea. Seriously, too much caching and coins on the brain.

We cache with our kids. They make plenty of finds. Which leads to Santa's little helper. Or something along the lines of a kid or 2 (or an elf dressed as a kid) with GPS in hand searching for the entrance to Santa's Toyland at the North Pole. Christmas is about kids and geocaching is a family affair - for us anyway. :ph34r:

Another possible idea. Seriously, too much caching and coins on the brain.

We cache with our kids. They make plenty of finds. Which leads to Santa's little helper. Or something along the lines of a kid or 2 (or an elf dressed as a kid) with GPS in hand searching for the entrance to Santa's Toyland at the North Pole. Christmas is about kids and geocaching is a family affair - for us anyway. :ph34r:

thats what caching is all about...

not nearly as good caching alone is it?

Hi.. Would love to purchase these coins can you put me on your list please?

I was thinking maybe a reindeer/rudolph cache. Lighting your way to the cache or rudolpgh with your nose so bright help me find my cache at night..

Just some ideas..

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks team roboknight

Would like one set of each.. Thanks

Edited by roboknight

Hi.. Would love to purchase these coins can you put me on your list please?

I was thinking maybe a reindeer/rudolph cache. Lighting your way to the cache or rudolpgh with your nose so bright help me find my cache at night..

Just some ideas..

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks team roboknight

Would like two sets of each.. Thanks

thanks,,

and I think reindeer have to be in this set "fer Shure"

I had contemplating putting a Nativity scene on a coin.. but don't you think thats a little tacky?

thanks for your feedback

It is a Christmas coin, I don't see anything wrong with a Nativity scene. I wouldn't doctor it up to be anything other than what it is, but would keep it simple.

As far as leaving anyone out, it's a Christmas coin and that is 'the reason for the season' (at least in the beginning). Let's face it, if someone wants to be offended, they will be no matter what you do. Every coin is not for everyone. I know there are some I don't particularly like, so I just don't collect those. I certainly don't want to offend anyone, but if it's a Christmas coin it should be about Christmas. Same goes if someone wants to make a Hanukkah coin, I wouldn't expect them to put a Christian spin on it. Just my 2 cents...

Exactly, if you don't want to honor Christmas for the reason it exists, then call it some lame pussy name like "Holiday Coin" or "The politically correct geocoin for December" or even "The No one gets their feelings hurt geocoin".

thanks for your feedback

Exactly, if you don't want to honor Christmas for the reason it exists, then call it some lame pussy name like "Holiday Coin" or "The politically correct geocoin for December" or even "The No one gets their feelings hurt geocoin".

I really guess I looked at this whole thing in the wrong context when I started this tread..

Thought these coins would make a nice fun thing for geocachers to add to their coin collection.

A comical "Geocachers" christmas..

All of the designs listed so far deal DIRECTLY with our hobby "game" GEOCACHING..

As this is further designed I felt it inappropriate to put "Christmas" material in with what was meant to be a "funny" set..

I personally take my faith far to serious to mix a comical look at geocaching into it..

To accomplish what I am doing with a Santa, snowman, etc theme..

I would have to perhaps have the wise men with GPSr's in Hand as they find the manger...

NO WAY would I ever consider that..

So.. this is the reason for the "santa Holiday" theme opposed to "the real reason we celebrate Dec 25" theme.

Perhaps next year, I will make a set of the true reason for the date coins..

but unfortunately not this year..

Thanks

Ranger216

I am working on a 4 coin set of Geocoins for 2006

They will be trackable on geocaching.com, have a custom icon, and be numbered..

I have 3 of them figured out but would really, really appreciate some help on #4

Here is what I have so far:

tree.jpg

scoin.jpg

sncoin.jpg

and need suggestions for the design on the back:

or if you would perfer... email me at: robertj.thomas@verizon.net

coin #4 prototype... u like?

sleighcoin.jpg

I really guess I looked at this whole thing in the wrong context when I started this tread..

Thought these coins would make a nice fun thing for geocachers to add to their coin collection.

A comical "Geocachers" christmas..

All of the designs listed so far deal DIRECTLY with our hobby "game" GEOCACHING..

As this is further designed I felt it inappropriate to put "Christmas" material in with what was meant to be a "funny" set..

I personally take my faith far to serious to mix a comical look at geocaching into it..

To accomplish what I am doing with a Santa, snowman, etc theme..

I would have to perhaps have the wise men with GPSr's in Hand as they find the manger...

NO WAY would I ever consider that..

So.. this is the reason for the "santa Holiday" theme opposed to "the real reason we celebrate Dec 25" theme.

Perhaps next year, I will make a set of the true reason for the date coins..

but unfortunately not this year..

Thanks

Ranger216

Well said.

This is a really cute fun set as it is. You did a great job and as I said before, I'm definitely in for a set (or two...) :(

I have sent you an email with a coin idea for the 4th Christmas coin :anibad: .

I would like a set when they are ready.....(*v*)

Yes .. and I already incorporated it into my design for coin #5

I also am working on a #6

I am afraid people wont buy a 6 coin set though

so will probably post all the designs and have a survey here,,

top 5 will win.......

what you think???

I also am working on a #6. I am afraid people wont buy a 6 coin set though,

so will probably post all the designs and have a survey here,, top 5 will win.......

what you think???

I think that I'd buy a six-coin set! :P

Hey, you've already established a precedent with your railroad set. Put out four or five now, and keep the other ideas for next year, and the year after that... You've got ideas from several of us for at least four or five year's worth, even at two coins per year. So, put out some now, and hold the rest for later. I don't think that geocaching is going to vanish anytime soon :laughing: Triplewisdom keeps a list of past orderers on her All Season series, so I know it can be done. You can automatically sign up everyone for the same number of future coins as they bought of the initial set. I'm sure that she can help you with this if you ask her how she does it :huh:

I love the "bumper sticker" on the back of the sleigh :P You might need to turn it slightly widdershins to make it a bit more legible, however. As for poinsettias vs candy canes, how about both? Put one on one side, the other on the other. I don't think it will crowd the thing up.

As for the religious discussion, let me state that I am not a believer (at least not in anything like the traditional sense, and most agnostics wouldn't recognize me as one of their own), but I would have no personal problem with a series of geocoins with a nativity scene, etc. I think such a set could be very classy, and if done right, I'd love to have them. Christ is the reason for the season, whether you believe in Him as the Son of God, or not. Jesus of Nazareth was a real person, whatever else he might have been, as Roman records mention him. Not everyone will agree with me on this, but I can see where a Christian-themed set of coins could be done respectfully and appropriately, as well as be linked to our hobby. Wouldn't "No Bushwhacking" and "Trade Fairly" be considered good Christian (and Muslim and Buddhist and what-have-you) actions? You see, I believe very strongly in the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." If you read it very carefully, you'll see that there is no such thing as "separation of church and state." What there really is, is recognition that all religious beliefs (even the belief that there is no God) are to be treated with equality and respect, and should be protected by the Laws of the Land, with no one faith having precedence over any other. This non-believer definitely does not denegrate anyone who chooses to believe in that which I do not. In fact, I support their right to choose their own path; that's all I ask of others :huh:

End of screed. Carry on! :P

Edited by chaosmanor

I also am working on a #6. I am afraid people wont buy a 6 coin set though,

so will probably post all the designs and have a survey here,, top 5 will win.......

what you think???

I think that I'd buy a six-coin set! :P

Hey, you've already established a precedent with your railroad set. Put out four or five now, and keep the other ideas for next year, and the year after that... You've got ideas from several of us for at least four or five year's worth, even at two coins per year. So, put out some now, and hold the rest for later. I don't think that geocaching is going to vanish anytime soon :laughing: Triplewisdom keeps a list of past orderers on her All Season series, so I know it can be done. You can automatically sign up everyone for the same number of future coins as they bought of the initial set. I'm sure that she can help you with this if you ask her how she does it :huh:

I love the "bumper sticker" on the back of the sleigh :P You might need to turn it slightly widdershins to make it a bit more legible, however. As for poinsettias vs candy canes, how about both? Put one on one side, the other on the other. I don't think it will crowd the thing up.

As for the religious discussion, let me state that I am not a believer (at least not in anything like the traditional sense, and most agnostics wouldn't recognize me as one of their own), but I would have no personal problem with a series of geocoins with a nativity scene, etc. I think such a set could be very classy, and if done right, I'd love to have them. Christ is the reason for the season, whether you believe in Him as the Son of God, or not. Jesus of Nazareth was a real person, whatever else he might have been, as Roman records mention him. Not everyone will agree with me on this, but I can see where a Christian-themed set of coins could be done respectfully and appropriately, as well as be linked to our hobby. Wouldn't "No Bushwhacking" and "Trade Fairly" be considered good Christian (and Muslim and Buddhist and what-have-you) actions? You see, I believe very strongly in the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." If you read it very carefully, you'll see that there is no such thing as "separation of church and state." What there really is, is recognition that all religious beliefs (even the belief that there is no God) are to be treated with equality and respect, and should be protected by the Laws of the Land, with no one faith having precedence over any other. This non-believer definitely does not denegrate anyone who chooses to believe in that which I do not. In fact, I support their right to choose their own path; that's all I ask of others :huh:

End of screed. Carry on! :P

thank you very much....

2 posts ... two suggestions that maybe 6 coins isnt that bad...

open for more discussion