Sock-puppet accounts

Am I the only one wondering how the CCCoperAgency got to log this cache three times?

What does that have to do with sock puppets?

edit: If you want to discuss that topic, find one of the other threads on it but please don't derail this one with a post like that.

Edited by Quiggle

Trying to get the thread back on track...

I have a sock puppet account and I use it for what I believe is a legitimate purpose. In the forums I want to discuss hides or puzzles of mine. I don't want to post such information under my own account so that the finders who frequent the forums don't get info that way.

So, yes, socks can be abused, but they also have a good purpose.

Paul

A sock puppet is an alter ego of someone. There is no need for them, and the forum mods shut them down as needed.

hmm....dont most forum mods use socks, or a form of them by having 2 identities- cacher, and mod?

Only if the two are used to support each other in a way that makes it seem like they are two independent people.

Suppose you wrote a thread and I didn't like it. I post, as GreyingJay, "Hmm, I think Pto's thread ought to be closed."

Then I log in as my other account, where I am a moderator, and I write "Yes, GreyingJay, I agree. I am closing this thread."

That would be a sock puppet.

Agreed:

Why, I've never heard of such a thing.

Me neither.

It's a ridiculous concept. Could never happen.

Are they gone?

Some good old fashioned late night humor :D

(But still accepted) :)

I don't think sock puppet accounts are all bad, it depends on how they are used. I don't have any, but here in the Northwest (Seattle area specifically), they usually fall into two categories:

• Many volunteer reviewers/moderators have two accounts, one for their 'official' duties and one for their individual caching. The 'sock puppet' volunteer account typically has no finds but does help keep reviewer/moderator traffic (including problems) separate from their caching endeavors. This would seem a good and necessary use of secondary accounts, based on experiences up here.
  • Some NW cachers create secondary 'sock puppet' accounts, complete with alternative personas, for their 'evil' or 'overly creative' hides (translation: tricky, devious, clever, gnarly, hair-pulling, just-plain-fun). Yeah, they don't have to, but we think it's fun. Note that these 'sock puppets' do have hides, they just don't have many finds. Check out the caches and owners for The Bloated Festering Head of My First Victim or Bloody Fingers, Dirty Diapers... . These caches just wouldn't have had the same ambiance using the cachers' everyday personas. :D

As for TPTB monitoring/deleting accounts with no activity - does anyone honestly think that Groundspeak monitors 1000s of individual accounts, tracking to see who is finding/posting what and when? I suspect they have other fish to fry, and are not gonna know there's a problem with an individual account unless you tell them.

My 2 cents. :)

:) Well if you want to know "the rest of the story" go to VAtechnoteacher's post on the topic: Cache Owners Deleting Logs Of Finders etc. She is more articulate than I and will give you an insight into what we have been going through.

Sorry but even with the examples stated, I see no real need for a sock puppet account if you are not a moderator/reviewer. Geocaching is not the business of the CIA so no need for trickery other than hiding a hard to find cache. Maybe we are a little sensitive around here because one Geodevil. :D

Am I the only one wondering how the CCCoperAgency got to log this cache three times?

You must never never never criticize CCCooperAgency. Geocachers just don't do that. Its like African Americans criticizing Martin Luther King for plagiarism. It just aint done. If you do, you will be reminded how jealous you are of her success at geocaching.

Go stand in the corner-forever

Edited by brodiebunch

You must never never never criticize CCCooperAgency. Geocachers just don't do that. Its like African Americans criticizing Martin Luther King. It just aint done. If you do, you will be reminded how jealous you are of her success at geocaching.

Go stand in the corner-forever

VERY WELL SAID!

yes

let it go

but of course you can't

because you used the magic letters - CCCA

and now the thread will...

:laughing:

Since I am the cacher that has come out and admitted my wrong doing, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me through my Groundspeak account.

Gaits

Torry? Torry listen to me. You must listen to me or I kill the kitty. Are you listening Torry

:laughing::huh:;):laughing:<_<:blink::blink:

It's all about the voices..

Ooops. Back on topic... um, Hooray, reviewers!

What? .. Oh sorry.

Socks can be lots of fun. However if you use them too often they develop holes that people can see right through.

Darn those socks! :D

I think you are confusing the term "sock puppet" with cheating cacher here.

A sock puppet is a fake account created for several purposes, but most often around these parts it is to post an opinion to the forums and be able to conceal one's 'true identity'.

A cheating cacher needs no definition. :D

Thanks for the definition. I think it's optimistic for people to think that the general populace knows what you're talking about!