What's up with pointless quoting in forum posts?

Seth!

I've noticed that a lot of times people will quote entire forum posts in their replies for no reason--even if it includes a giant picture. Here is an example and it's fairly tame. I've seen people quote quotes of quotes.

It's not like we don't know that the reply refers to the original post. If there is a specific comment that needs to be referenced, it is possible to edit the quoted segment to only include the pertinent information.

I just find it a pain to scroll past the same picture or text over and over again, trying to find what bit of insight was added by the reply.

This is my small vote for taking a moment to reply carefully. This is only my opinion and probably does not reflect the opinion of thousands of other people--just so you know that I know. :laughing:

Edited by Seth!

I've noticed that a lot of times people will quote entire forum posts in their replies for no reason--even if it includes a giant picture. Here is an example and it's fairly tame. I've seen people quote quotes of quotes.

It's not like we don't know that the reply refers to the original post. If there is a specific comment that needs to be referenced, it is possible to edit the quoted segment to only include the pertinent information.

I just find it a pain to scroll past the same picture or text over and over again, trying to find what bit of insight was added by the reply.

This is my small vote for taking a moment to reply carefully. This is only my opinion and probably does not reflect the opinion of thousands of other people--just so you know that I know. :laughing:

I agree!

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

This is my small vote for taking a moment to reply carefully. This is only my opinion and probably does not reflect the opinion of thousands of other people--just so you know that I know. :)

This is my small vote for taking a moment to reply carefully. This is only my opinion and probably does not reflect the opinion of thousands of other people--just so you know that I know. :unsure:

I agree!

I second that motion :laughing:

I "quote" in alot of my posts and for a good reason, to direct my response to a reply above me. I do agree with you that quoting the entire reply is usually not needed (especially not the picture). Quotes of quotes are alright too at times but yes, too many of them get old hat and pretty much worthless to the thread after awhile. My opinions of course,, :laughing:

This is my small vote for taking a moment to reply carefully. This is only my opinion and probably does not reflect the opinion of thousands of other people--just so you know that I know. :unsure:

This is my small vote for taking a moment to reply carefully. This is only my opinion and probably does not reflect the opinion of thousands of other people--just so you know that I know. :P

I agree!

I 3rd that motion :)

Really though I think it comes from people not knowing how to use the forum properly.

I've noticed that a lot of times people will quote entire forum posts in their replies for no reason [...]

This is my small vote for taking a moment to reply carefully.

Good quoting practices have been frequently promoted - and invariably ignored - pretty much since online communication was invented. I used to deal with it as a Fidonet moderator, and long before that the problem existed (and still exists today) on Usenet.

I've noticed that a lot of times people will quote entire forum posts in their replies for no reason [...]

This is my small vote for taking a moment to reply carefully.

Good quoting practices have been frequently promoted - and invariably ignored - pretty much since online communication was invented. I used to deal with it as a Fidonet moderator, and long before that the problem existed (and still exists today) on Usenet.

How do you quote part of something?

This is my small vote for taking a moment to reply carefully. This is only my opinion and probably does not reflect the opinion of thousands of other people--just so you know that I know. :)

I agree!

I 3rd that motion :P

Really though I think it comes from people not knowing how to use the forum properly.

Yeah, that drives me nuts too. I think people should stop doing that. :)

Seriously, this question has crossed my mind more than once. If I am responding only to the person above me, I usually don't use quotes. It doesn't make sense to me to do so.

I agree!

Yeah, that drives me nuts too. I think people should stop doing that. :)

Seriously, this question has crossed my mind more than once. If I am responding only to the person above me, I usually don't use quotes. It doesn't make sense to me to do so.

Well I kinda like the quotes. Everything i need is right there and i don't have to scroll back up.

I agree!

Yeah, that drives me nuts too. I think people should stop doing that. :D

Well it seems we're in agreement.

:)

I wish I'll I had to worry about was "mis-use" of forum quotes. :D

Edit: Opps, I broke the 'qoute' thingie. :):D

Re-edit: But it's all better now. :)

Edited by Totem Clan

I agree!

This is my small vote for taking a moment to reply carefully. This is only my opinion and probably does not reflect the opinion of thousands of other people--just so you know that I know. :P

I agree!

I agree!

I second that motion :D

This is my small vote for taking a moment to reply carefully. This is only my opinion and probably does not reflect the opinion of thousands of other people--just so you know that I know. :D

This is my small vote for taking a moment to reply carefully. This is only my opinion and probably does not reflect the opinion of thousands of other people--just so you know that I know. :D

I agree!

I 3rd that motion :D

:D

:P

Opps, I broke the 'qoute' thingie.

that's just great!!! you broke the quotey thingy!!

I agree!

I agree!

I agree!

This is my small vote for taking a moment to reply carefully. This is only my opinion and probably does not reflect the opinion of thousands of other people--just so you know that I know. B)

I agree!

I wish I'll I had to worry about was "mis-use" of forum quotes. :P

But's it's all better now. :D

I agree!

I agree!

I agree!

This is my small vote for taking a moment to reply carefully. This is only my opinion and probably does not reflect the opinion of thousands of other people--just so you know that I know. B)

I agree!

O no say it aint so. lol :D

If you're replying to a post, that's cool, but delete out the other irrelevant quoted material.

I don't know whether I'm 5thing or 6thing Seth!'s point but I highly agree. And the above statement is the answer to the problem. Only quote pertinent parts. We don’t even need to quote all the pertinent parts to get the point across. And definitely lose the photos!

Some tell us to simply ignore the repeated stuff but words, even without photos, are a graphic representation of our thoughts. Cluttered graphics and long posts without paragraphs and the lack of white space between paragraphs are difficult to read. And that means it is much harder to get our point across. If I have to wade through two or three pages of a new topic I’m going to pass over a lot of posts. Cluttered posts are the first one’s I ignore.

If you're replying to a post, that's cool, but delete out the other irrelevant quoted material.

I don't know whether I'm 5thing or 6thing Seth!'s point but I highly agree. And the above statement is the answer to the problem. Only quote pertinent parts. We don’t even need to quote all the pertinent parts to get the point across. And definitely lose the photos!

<snip>

Yes, but if you do make sure you note the you have modified the post. Some people will get irate if you don't. Then there are some that will get irate if you change their post at all. :laughing:

This is my small vote for taking a moment to reply carefully. This is only my opinion and probably does not reflect the opinion of thousands of other people--just so you know that I know. :)[/quoteI agree! (sorry, I couldn't resist)

2006, 11:25 AM' post='2430644]

I just find it a pain to scroll past the same picture or text over and over again, trying to find what bit of insight was added by the reply

I agree!(sorry, I couldn't resist)

I've noticed that a lot of times people will quote entire forum posts in their replies for no reason--even if it includes a giant picture. Here is an example and it's fairly tame. I've seen people quote quotes ofquotes.

It's not like we don't know that the repl refers to the original post. If there is a specific comment that needs to be referenced, it is possible to edit the quoted segment to only include the pertinent information.

This is my small vote for taking a momt to reply carefully. This is only my opinion and probably does not reflect the opinion of thousands of othe people--just so you know that I know. :P

I agree!(sorry, I couldn't resist)
I second that motion :)

FIXED.

<snip>

Yes, but if you do make sure you note the you have modified the post. Some people will get irate if you don't. Then there are some that will get irate if you change their post at all. :laughing:

ah! then there are those that quote something and attribute it to the wrong person. i've seen that happen more than once, and sometimes it's done deliberately. the results are not pretty.

<snip>

I'm irate just because you posted. :)

I agree!

I agree!

I agree!

I agree!

Yeah, that drives me nuts too. I think people should stop doing that. :unsure:

O no say it aint so. lol :D

I am just sooooooooo glad that I am not guilty of such an inane practice! Or is that "insane" practice? Hmmmmmmmm....I will have to ponder that! :D

If quoting is done, it should be done correctly. That is, with the quoted material above your reply. There is a user who replies to a post and puts the quoted material below their reply. Doesn't make any sense, because you don't know what exactly they're replying to until you've already read the reply.

Yeah, but it's better than top-posting. I think. :rolleyes: Do they still argue about that on usenet too? Haven't been there in years.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I "quote" in alot of my posts and for a good reason, to direct my response to a reply above me.

Me too. It seems that every time I leave the quote out, somebody slips another post in between mine and the one above, making the subject of my post unclear.

What makes me "crazy" are instances of "quote character" overuse. Know what I "mean"?

What really gets me is people who do it face to face, making those little "quote marks" with their fingers. I so want to ask them what little bunny foo foo has to do with the story? :P

At least in the forums we have a handy scroll down feature on our keyboards.

Yeah, but it's better than top-posting. I think. :P Do they still argue about that on usenet too? Haven't been there in years.

Wow I remember those flame-fests. I'm of the "bottom-posting" camp and have always been.