The Maps the REVIEWERS use....

RobJons

What maps are the reviewers using? I used topozone to pace a cache just outside state forest boundary. Reviewer denied it. Maps they use showed it was inside the boundary of the state forest. Would save both reviewer and my self alot of time if I knew which service they used to review. I'm not trying to squeek by with a cache near the forest. I just want a quality cache with an interesting park nearby as a perk. We all now the rules with State/ National Forests. I want to be sure to abide these rules without being rejected time after time.

When I'm reviewing a cache I usually refer to a number of maps, especially if there appears to be a boundary of restricted land nearby. Some of the maps are better than others at showing certain land types (Google never seems to clearly indicate Indian Reservations, for example), while others do a better job of staying up-to-date with recent boundary changes (e.g. topo maps are notoriously outdated).

I'm not sure which cache you are referring to, but I only see one unapproved cache of yours that has been held up due to State Park issues. I checked Topozone on that one and it, too, seemed to clearly indicate that the cache was inside the State Park:

lakealmacx6.jpg

Edited by Moun10Bike

Lake Alma is a State Park. As yet I have not obtained permission. Ohio state parks are not as difficult as the state or national forests and preserves. It is possible to buy a usage permit in our state to place caches in the forests and this is what I refer to. Emails of maps to the foresty service and review have not corrolated. the forestry service has been so very nice and the reviewers but would like to pinpoint an area everyone can be happy with - without so much research. I just feel like I am wasting the reviewers time if I just say oh well, lets just try this spot and see if it gets posted or denied. I would feel like a real nuisance. Thanks for your input.

I used topozone to pace a cache just outside state forest boundary. Reviewer denied it.

What cache are you referring to then? I don't see any approved or not approved associated with your account that fit this description. If I could look at the specific cache I could better give some information on what the maps are saying that led to the decision.

What maps are the reviewers using? I used topozone to pace a cache just outside state forest boundary. Reviewer denied it. Maps they use showed it was inside the boundary of the state forest. Would save both reviewer and my self alot of time if I knew which service they used to review. I'm not trying to squeek by with a cache near the forest. I just want a quality cache with an interesting park nearby as a perk. We all now the rules with State/ National Forests. I want to be sure to abide these rules without being rejected time after time.

If you have some form of proof that it is in a legal location why not submit that proof along with the cache page to the reviewer and save everyone a bit of time researching the problem? Boundarys change as states buy more land to add to parks or move certain parcels from one jurisdiction to another. If you live in the area you should have a better handle on the situation than the reviewer, but I think it is up to you to see that he has access to the current data.

I can't get the map to load. 38' 40' 05 .31"N 82" 38'37.82"W Dean State forest near riders pond.

:) Those coords are in a pullout next to Texas Hollow Road in Wayne National Forest nowhere near a pond.

Edit to add the DMM format of the same coords: N38 40.088 W82 38.630

Edited by Lil Devil

Ok I am confused too. There is no cache at those coordinates. You have no denied caches. I even went through the caches you own and non were ever denied because they were at that location. Do you have another account you are using? Is this cache listed on this site? In order for any of the reviewers to help you we need the GCxxxx number that was assigned to the cache page when you submitted it. Is it possible you wrote the reviewer about the location before you submitted the cache and that is why we can not find it?

Thanks to all your help. Yes I have emailed to reviewer trying to find spots before I post as it takes much effort to go out and place the cache and post the site rather than post it and be denied and have to go back out and move it. I think this is simpler in a sensitive questionable area.

I have a different coord. 38.6672N 82.6418.w Pedro OHIO (glasses required) Borders the road and the forest. Really I'm not asking for verification to submit- merely a process I can use to see my spot is okay BEFORE I submit.

This is pretty much the process I went through - submit the coords and ask - I just want to be able to do this myself.

I will take all your advise.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Yes the reviewers are great people. So helpful in all aspects

Robjons

Keep in mind that even if land doesn't belong to a State or Federal organization, it does belong to someone. A lot of the private land in the Southern and Eastern thirds of Ohio are hunting land that people own for trapping, hunting, and various other activities. It's a good idea to get permission from the land owner no matter what. I, myself, would feel horrible to hear that someone was shot at while trying to find a cache I placed. I consider the public lands to be a lot safer and well worth whatever fees or permits the departments require.

Reviewers do assume permission when caches are not in a place that has notified them of restrictions, but that doesn't protect hiders or finders from anything in real life.