Where Is The Best Vacation Place With Geocaching In Mind

macc4

My family missed out on our summer vascation this summer due to my work schedule. We took plenty of camping and side trips but we never made it out of the state or country as was the norm. For this reason, I want to take the family on an extra-special trip next summer. Does anybody have a great getaway with good caching opportunities? Thanks for your input, MACC4 :)

My family missed out on our summer vascation this summer due to my work schedule. We took plenty of camping and side trips but we never made it out of the state or country as was the norm. For this reason, I want to take the family on an extra-special trip next summer. Does anybody have a great getaway with good caching opportunities? Thanks for your input, MACC4 :lol:

Australia. And specifically the state of Queensland in your summer. This is our winter here and the weather in Queensland (tropical climate) is perfect. Plenty of caches also. Might add, I'm a little biased. :)

It all depends on what you want in your vacation and what kinds of caches you like. Another person who asked the same question a week ago was advised by many to go to Erie PA. He wanted numbers.

If you prefer hikes in the woods the answer would be different. Also what other things interest you? Are you going to be geocaching the entire time, or do you want to do other things as well?

No questions from here - just answers. Alaska has it all!

Numbers? Everything's bigger here... (ok - there are a few semi-power trails here too...)

Leisure? That's all us discontiguous* upper** Americans think about! That's why we live up here...

(*discontiguous - i.e. - not part of the contiguous 48 states)

(**upper - i.e. - not part of the 'lower' Americas...)

Physically challenging? Hmmm - we'll hook you up with a summit series of caches... check out the view at Ridgeseeker's Godwin Glacier Overlook Cache - his dog Geo helped place the cache. As one log says - Geocaching.com doesn't allow caches in national parks...i wonder why they let ridgeseeker put one in heaven? The picture of Geo the dog peering into the distance is a classic! As a plus, this cache is within several miles of where most cruise ships dock in Seward, Alaska.

Summer heat? Check out Fairbanks... it's often into the nineties there in the summer, with lots of fun things to do & a slew of caches to keep you occupied.

Winter Sports? We have cachers who climb, ski, skijor, dogsled, snowmachine, and snowshoe into their caches all winter long... and the mosquitos don't come out to play either!

There are caches beyond the international dateline in far western Alaska, caches on the North Slope, caches all over Southeast, on Kodiak Island, the Interior, the west and southwest coastal areas, and all across southcentral.

Of course, sometimes there's a few extra barriers to accessing some caches... 6c0a15f1-5fad-43cd-aa0a-cafa105c35e0.jpg

Come on up... I know the story about the job in the summertime - my work is heavily influenced by construction, and I couldn't get two weeks off to head to mid-lower-America with my family this month... :lol: Someone had to stay behind and tend the caches...

San Diego . . .

300px-Hotel-del-Coronado-Beach.640.jpg

There are thousands of caches within the 50-mile search radius. :lol:

Now thats my kinda dense-city. I've done a week in JAX and Nashville - maybe a week in SanDiego is next. When is a good week to visit? Cache all day and party all night. Sleep when I get back home.

Would this be a good place for a geowoodstock?

Edited by CraigInCT

Pretty much anyplace that you would normally go to on vacation is a good place for geocaching on vacation.

I think that's the right way to do it. Caches are pretty much everywhere these days. So find the kind of places you like to go, whether its the lakes, mountains, the ocean, big city sightseeing, etc... and geocache while there.

You should probably clarify whether this is to be a geocaching trip during vacation time, or a family vacation to a really special place that has some really memorable caches. If you choose option B, I'd suggest Italy!

How can you go wrong with a combination of culture, history, fantastic food and wine, the best ice cream (gelato) on earth and caches like this one in the Roman Forum. Want to get out of the city? Head north into Umbria for spectacular scenery and this cache. or this one.. You could continue on into Tuscany for this one and this one.

Perhaps my most memorable find after the original one (now archived) in the forum was Picture Perfect. I noticed several photographers with very serious equipment alongside the road to our villa we were staying in for a few nights. Sure enough-when I went looking for the cache the next day, it was very near the same vista. Be sure to check out the pics at this one. You will see this vista on postcards all over the country.

Dang, I'm convincing myself to schedule another Italian holiday. Trust me, yours will be very memorable. And having a GPS to autoroute on those twisty Tuscan and Umbrian mountain roads was priceless.

My family missed out on our summer vascation this summer due to my work schedule. We took plenty of camping and side trips but we never made it out of the state or country as was the norm. For this reason, I want to take the family on an extra-special trip next summer. Does anybody have a great getaway with good caching opportunities? Thanks for your input, MACC4 :D

Where ever you want to go> Check Google Earth for caches :lol:

No questions from here - just answers. Alaska has it all!

Numbers? Everything's bigger here... (ok - there are a few semi-power trails here too...)

Leisure? That's all us discontiguous* upper** Americans think about! That's why we live up here...

(*discontiguous - i.e. - not part of the contiguous 48 states)

(**upper - i.e. - not part of the 'lower' Americas...)

Physically challenging? Hmmm - we'll hook you up with a summit series of caches... check out the view at Ridgeseeker's Godwin Glacier Overlook Cache - his dog Geo helped place the cache. As one log says - Geocaching.com doesn't allow caches in national parks...i wonder why they let ridgeseeker put one in heaven? The picture of Geo the dog peering into the distance is a classic! As a plus, this cache is within several miles of where most cruise ships dock in Seward, Alaska.

Summer heat? Check out Fairbanks... it's often into the nineties there in the summer, with lots of fun things to do & a slew of caches to keep you occupied.

Winter Sports? We have cachers who climb, ski, skijor, dogsled, snowmachine, and snowshoe into their caches all winter long... and the mosquitos don't come out to play either!

There are caches beyond the international dateline in far western Alaska, caches on the North Slope, caches all over Southeast, on Kodiak Island, the Interior, the west and southwest coastal areas, and all across southcentral.

Of course, sometimes there's a few extra barriers to accessing some caches... 6c0a15f1-5fad-43cd-aa0a-cafa105c35e0.jpg

Come on up... I know the story about the job in the summertime - my work is heavily influenced by construction, and I couldn't get two weeks off to head to mid-lower-America with my family this month... :blink: Someone had to stay behind and tend the caches...

Been there, seen it, done it, got the T-shirt.

I will agree that Alaska, specificly the Anchorage and Fairbanks areas, has a lot to offer to the geocachers and Northwes was very helpful to this Montana cacher while I was there. But if you are planning to drive to your vacation destination, don't go to Alaska unless you have an extra week or two.

I cached in Yellowstone Park this summer. The park has 28 or so Virtual caches along with 1 regular cache with most of them located right along the road or a short distance up a trail.

I also just returned from a week in the Black Hills of South Dakota. There are a number of caches located throughout the hills and the scenery is some of the best in the country. The caches I found there were of a high quality with good swag.