Keeping Geocoins That You Have Found

kellyduo

Hi everyone!

I have found geocoins in the past and hear people talk about their geocoin collections.... Do people keep the geocoins that they have found? I'm relatively new at this sport (under 50 finds) and was wondering.

Thanks!

This is probably the wrong forum but if the geocoin is registered and trackable most would consider that theft of personal property. Unregistered coins are however sometimes left as FTF prizes etc.

Edited by Bill & Tammy

Hi everyone!

I have found geocoins in the past and hear people talk about their geocoin collections.... Do people keep the geocoins that they have found? I'm relatively new at this sport (under 50 finds) and was wondering.

Thanks!

This is probably the wrong forum but if the geocoin is registered and trackable most would consider that theft of personal property. Unregistered coins are however sometimes left as FTF prizes etc.

I agree. If its an activated, trackable coin, keeping it is thievery (unless the owner states otherwise on the page)..

If its not activated, or if its not a trackable coin its pretty much yours to do with as you like.

I wrote about what happened to two coins that were "kept" by someone who deliberately went to that cache only to steal the coins. The did not write about their visit in the log book and they left the TB in the cache.

I feel bad since I thought a Puzzle cache was a "safe" place to put the coins. I was wrong . . . :)

I wrote about what happened to two coins that were "kept" by someone who deliberately went to that cache only to steal the coins. The did not write about their visit in the log book and they left the TB in the cache.

I feel bad since I thought a Puzzle cache was a "safe" place to put the coins. I was wrong . . . :)

Maybe the cache was muggled? They could have took the 2 coins because they look cool?

Just a thought.... but yes, it sucks

To date, I only found one keeper coin in a cache, it was a GBA coin. Since I already had one, I left it. I leave coins in caches for people to take and most times 'forget' to log I did :).

Still waiting to find a keeper coin in a cache.

nielsenc

Edited by nielsenc

Like most others have said if it is reg. then it belongs to someone and you should move the coin and log your find on gc.com, if the coin is unreg. then its your for trading just trade fair. I kept one coin I found in a cache it was a personal non-trackable. I left a non-trackable and a 5.00 for trade.

-TJ

Here are my thoughts:

Trackable/Activated = Move it along

Trackable/Unactivated = Trade item (contact owner as courtesy in case they forgot to activate)

Non-Trackable = Trade item (try to trade fair: even or up)

The only exception to the above is that some Trackable/Activated coins will state that a finder may keep it if they like. In which case, I would make sure that I left something nice in the next cache I found -- just to keep the "game" in "balance"

Let us all not forget that "trackable" doesn't just mean "trackable on geocaching.com" :(

If there are instructions with the actual coin (and there should be with any/all travel bugs) then by all means follow the instructions whether or not geocaching.com has been paid their $1.50.

Edited by pdxmarathonman

Let us all not forget that "trackable" doesn't just mean "trackable on geocaching.com" :(

If there are instructions with the actual coin (and there should be with any/all travel bugs) then by all means follow the instructions whether or not geocaching.com has been paid their $1.50.

I found two coins in a cache the day before heading out to an event and was going to move them for the owner. Both coins were not trackable on GC.com but at other sites per the coin. I checked the sites and neither coin was registered. So I contacted the owner only to find they are keepers. I will keep one and told the owner that I will place a note for him in it letting the next finder know they can keep it and place it in another cache soon.

When ever I find a coin in a cache I always assume first it's a traveler and if I can't find it on GC or one of the other tracking sites then I email the owner before moving it to another cache. This makes the 2nd keep I've found in the wild. The other was a FTF prize.

Bottom line here is, if you leave it unsecure in the hands of who ever finds it next then consider the coin at the mercy of that individual. I used to get upset but there is no point in it. I seen a lot of respectable geocachers keep coins they should pass on... Good geocacher or evil geocacher they all keep a coin or two...

We have one Groundspeak Geocoin. It was handed to us by our reviewer when we met him. At first we didn't know what name it was given. He only told us to do whatever we wanted.

When we got home we saw the name, goal and description he gave... and we were very, very proud and honoured. We're going to keep it. We told him (Garri) that it would be such a loss if this coin would go away. He agreed. :(

Now, every geocacher we meet personally should make a discover. That way, we'll be tracking down all our friends.

I picked up a BadAndy geocoin at one cache, and dropped it in one of my own caches when I was on a maintenance run. The next person to find the cache was a first-time cacher who left two cans of cat food at the cache (it's a cat themed cache, but it's still food), took the coin, didn't log the find for a week and hasn't even logged the coin pick up. They've got one other find (I think it was the same day) and they've seemingly dropped off the face of the earth. Should I alert the coin's owner (BadAndy), or should I report the coin missing or should I contact the cacher (again) about logging the coin?

I kept a CAPT PROZAC coin that I found in a cache.

I found a CPT PROZAC too and kept it as well, of course with his permission...

ROFL! :D ... do i have to get permission every time I want to trade out an item from a cache or does Capt Prozac require that you do? :P

Good point pdxmarathonman mentioned that not all coins are trackable with geocaching, some use individual websites etc to track them.

Still waiting to find a keeper coin in a cache.

nielsenc

Make a trip to the Aiken SC / Augusta GA area and you'll likely find a coin dropped by me! We dropped one on Sunday, we made a cache run to hit our 100th cache and one of the caches we visited got a New UOTrackers coin...The coin we dropped had a note to the finder to either keep it or move it, their choice! ((If you'r going to check our profile for caches we visited, don't bother, we dropped a "coin" into every cache, only one of the coins was a geocoin! - I got tricky hehe))

As PDX mentioned, not all coins are trackable on GC.com, ours is/will be trackable on www.geocoin.net.

Bottom line here is, if you leave it unsecure in the hands of who ever finds it next then consider the coin at the mercy of that individual. I used to get upset but there is no point in it. I seen a lot of respectable geocachers keep coins they should pass on... Good geocacher or evil geocacher they all keep a coin or two...

Not all, I'm happy to say ;) We have never kept a registered geocoin or Travel Bug; our parents raised us right, and in my case, Bernardine nuns reinforced it with yardsticks B) I willadmit to losing two geocoins (hopefully they are in the house, somewhere, although with one of them, it seems very doubtful :D), but they are gone, not sitting on our shelf. We found an unregistered geocoin, once. On the other side of the geo-balance sheet, we've rescued three T-Bugs that were not in the cache they were logged into; one of them had been buried in a graveyard, so that was a neat feeling B)