Should I, Or Shouldn't I? (deleting Logs On Archived Finds)

So, today, someone "backlogged" 3 of my geocaches, which haven't been "in play" for quite some time.

One was archived more than a year ago. The second and third were archived about 6 weeks ago.

My first reaction is to delete the logs, but before I do and ruffle everones feathers, I thought I'd ask - what would you do?

(I mean, a year ago? Gimmie a break!)

~Geo

So, today, someone "backlogged" 3 of my geocaches, which haven't been "in play" for quite some time.

One was archived more than a year ago. The second and third were archived about 6 weeks ago.

My first reaction is to delete the logs, but before I do and ruffle everones feathers, I thought I'd ask - what would you do?

(I mean, a year ago? Gimmie a break!)

~Geo

Was the "find date" after it was archived, either way I find it hard to belive that someone found a cache a year ago forgot to log it then posted a log from a year ago. Its sounds like someone is trying to boost their number.

Drop them an email and ask them.

Yes, that is the very first thing you should do.

If you then think their explanation is bogus then a return email with a "I'm sorry I don't buy it" reply and delete the log.

There are a lot of folks behind on logging. They might even skip a cache while logging, I know I've done that when I forgot to write down the visit in our journal. (We keep a paper journal and log from that.) there could be any number of reasons folks might be logging late.

OTOH, I've heard of folks going around and looking for archived caches to back log with the theory the owner will have no way to check. Trick is have them describe in detail the hunt and the container. If they can't do that...

There are legit reasons. When my wife started her own account she was logging caches going back 2+ years. Do you have the logbooks? Just check for the signature. If it was a case like my wife's, at least you will see the spouse's signature.

If it looks like its someone who is going around and logging archived caches to up their find count, then delete with extreme prejudice.

Edited by briansnat

Some people really are that far behind.

It also could be somebody that used to cache under a different name (with a spouse, etc.) that is now using thier own account and logging old finds.

Drop them an email and ask them.

This "late logging of finds" thing is extremely common in the geo world, and often genuine and quite innocuous. Some people are years behind in logging their finds, while others, perhaps a part of a team (a couple, etc.) eventually open a solo account and start the process of back-logging the finds they had done as part of the team under the solo account. However, in such cases as the latter, I would normally expect that the logger would include a brief note in their find log, explaining what they are doing, i.e., backlogging. Since it appears that the finder did not offer any such explanation, you may wish to ask them.

On the other hand, it may be that a troll has created a largely bogus account, i.e., an account which they are trying to fill with bogus finds...

Lastly, if the log dates were for between 5/26 and 5/29, i.e., the GW4 weekend, and the finder seems to have attended GW4, then there is another possibiity, as follows: There seems to be a competition of sorts among GW4 attendees to garner the greatest number of finds over the GW4 weekend, and, as a result, some of the cachers who were in attendance there have been, ahem, claiming "finds" on caches all over the world -- caches in distant states or countries which they have never even seen, in order to boost their find count. In fact, I received a fone call last nite from someone from the national forums alerting me to the fact that a few of those bogus GW4-attendee finds were even logged for caches and events here in Maryland! This all seems very odd to me, but apparently it has become a normal activity at the GeoWoodstock events. So, you may wish to check the log dates!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Some people really are that far behind.

Lastly, if the log dates were for between 5/26 and 5/29, i.e., the GW4 weekend, and the finder seems to have attended GW4, then there is another possibiity, as follows: There seems to be a competition of sorts among GW4 attendees to garner the greatest number of finds over the GW4 weekend, and, as a result, some of the cachers who were in attendance there have been, ahem, claiming "finds" on caches all over the world -- caches in distant states or countries which they have never even seen, in order to boost their find count. In fact, I received a fone call last nite from someone from the national forums alerting me to the fact that a few of those bogus GW4-attendee finds were even logged for caches and events here in Maryland! This all seems very odd to me, but apparently it has become a normal activity at the GeoWoodstock events. So, you may wish to check the log dates!

It reminds me of high schoolers signing yearbooks...

You can log one of my archived caches, and I will log one of your archived caches.

Lame...

Ed

I did 25 caches in Temple, TX last October and for some reason they didn't get logged. Yesterday I found my Mapsouce track file with the times and dates so I started to log them. Many of the caches are now archived but my name would be in the log on the correct date. So far none of the cache owners have asked for an explanation, but the finds are legit.

When I opened my solo account, I backlogged everything found with OneMadFool. Some of the caches had been archived in the meantime, I used the date actually found, which already included his logs that mentioned my presence for the find by cache-name.

If the new people haven't included a "found it w/..." note, I think dropping them an email for clarification is fine. There's a lot of tension about logging archived caches lately, which is a legit concern, but there are also legit reasons to do so. Don't jump to either conclusion without asking the person who logged it ;)

I did 25 caches in Temple, TX last October and for some reason they didn't get logged. Yesterday I found my Mapsouce track file with the times and dates so I started to log them. Many of the caches are now archived but my name would be in the log on the correct date. So far none of the cache owners have asked for an explanation, but the finds are legit.

I am one of those cache owners, and that log is GONE.

Just kidding.

I have little problem with backlogging on either archived or still active caches. You see, it has to do with cache maintenance. I reguarly visit my caches and review the logs, check condition, et cetera. I limit the number of caches for this reason; so I can maintain them appropriately (very well, I am at an "exceptional" period where 1/2 my caches are 7,500 miles away, but generally I am quite regular about maintenance runs).

So, for this reason, when a backlog shows up, I generally remember seeing the name in the physical log and noted to myself "how odd, they have not logged on line". So, it is not a matter of trust in allowing the log, it is a matter of knowning the cacher was there.

Just a plug for the guidelines. I follow them closely, but many who read this will realize I do judge others by my adherence to my interpretation of guidelines....

"The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.). You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. "

This has happened to me, few weeks ago I went to a cache and the area looked like a place I had been to, sure unough I open the cache and there was my sig, from when I found the cache 4 months earlier.

A cache buddy told me I forgot to log a cache I found with him a while back, but I do not rmember which one it is.

I mean I am not all the old :rolleyes:

My wife hasn't logged all of her finds going back to 2001. For a long while she didn't have a personal e-mail account and wasn't able to use her work account. Now she's facing a daunting task of logging the over 500 caches not yet done online.

The best thing to do is drop an e-mail to the logger and ask.

No, if someone actually found your cache then why does it matter if it has been archived? If you don't want people to find your caches then have them permanently disabled. I do believe that that is possible not sure exactly how. Otherwise, what's the harm? :rolleyes::):P

Edited by Team Cotati

Couple possibilities, when you archived the cache, did you go and pick up what was left of the cache? If it was still out there, they may have found the old cache and signed it, found the gc number and entered it in.

As others have said, it may be half a team finally getting thier own account and backlogging.

It could also be someone who artifically want to bump up thier score.

It could be people at GW claiming finds to up thier finds that weekend.

You really need to find out whats going on, and if its legit, I say let it stand, if not, hit em with a brick :rolleyes:

The first thing you should have done was email the cacher in question. I think this is someone you might know. I'm sure you will get a prompt reply explaining the reasons behind the back dated logs.

It is a simple case of a cacher wanting her own account. She is logging caches she did with her family/husband. I have recieved several of these backdated logs in my email the past few weeks. To my knowledge she has not logged a find, on any of my caches, to her new account that she did not visit with the family.

To be clear, I know them personally. That being said if she logs a find on one of my caches I KNOW she didn't find with the family or on her own she will be getting an email from my about it. :rolleyes:

Edited by Klondike Mike

Late logging happens around our area pretty often. We have several teams that seemt to cache like crazy for weeks and then log their finds over a couple weeks or a month. As long as they acknowledge the late log in the post we don't worry about it.

We've also had some parent/child teams where the young person has started logging under their own name. Some of those finds are a year old but the poster usually explains what they are doing.

In general, we don't worry about "catch up" posting. It just isn't worth the energy even if the caches are now archived!

These logs you are referring to are from Salsa girl. Here is a sample of these logs: "Back logging finds done with Mr. Speedy." I am Mr. Speedy. Salsa girl is my other half. We though these logs were pretty self-explanatory! This is exactly what it says. She started using her own account after several years of joint caching, and is now logging the finds that she has done with me and the family. It even mentions which cacher she was with (me) and the log date is the same as mine so you can verify the claim.

As a reference, here are the logs you are referring to:

Johnny Cache

Gurlcache, redux!

Michael Hnatiw Sr. Memorial Cache

These, and all other she's been back logging, are all legit finds. You won't find her name in the logbook as we signed "Mr. Speedy's parade" back then, which represent the whole family. Similarly, you would not find the name in the logbook for anyone who changed their cacher name before May 22's username lockdown. Their new name would not show up in any logbook of cache they would have done prior to the name change.

I agree that whenever in doubts, you should contact the logger to find out what their intention is. It happened to one of my old cache. Someone back logged it and I asked them why in an e-mail. After a perfectly satisfactory explanation of them splitting up accounts and going back in time to log the finds, I let the log live. You are doing good to maintain your cache, even if it's been archive. There are too many contriversial finds these days

BTW, Team GeoMacs, we met at the Cache around the fire last year, do you remember?

There are a few things that can be going on and they are all valid.

If a team is now backlogging as individuals, thats find.

Vice Versa is fine.

If you archived the cache but didn't pick it up...the find is probably valid.

The only reason to disallow finds on archived caches are that the cache is being watched by the land manager who is up in arms over the entire thing (even then the finds are valid, just controversial) or the finds are fake. If the former it's a judgment call. If the latter archived or not fake finds should be deleted.

These logs you are referring to are from Salsa girl. Here is a sample of these logs: "Back logging finds done with Mr. Speedy." I am Mr. Speedy. Salsa girl is my other half. We though these logs were pretty self-explanatory! This is exactly what it says. She started using her own account after several years of joint caching, and is now logging the finds that she has done with me and the family. It even mentions which cacher she was with (me) and the log date is the same as mine so you can verify the claim.

As a reference, here are the logs you are referring to:

Johnny Cache

Gurlcache, redux!

Michael Hnatiw Sr. Memorial Cache

These, and all other she's been back logging, are all legit finds. You won't find her name in the logbook as we signed "Mr. Speedy's parade" back then, which represent the whole family. Similarly, you would not find the name in the logbook for anyone who changed their cacher name before May 22's username lockdown. Their new name would not show up in any logbook of cache they would have done prior to the name change.

I agree that whenever in doubts, you should contact the logger to find out what their intention is. It happened to one of my old cache. Someone back logged it and I asked them why in an e-mail. After a perfectly satisfactory explanation of them splitting up accounts and going back in time to log the finds, I let the log live. You are doing good to maintain your cache, even if it's been archive. There are too many contriversial finds these days

BTW, Team GeoMacs, we met at the Cache around the fire last year, do you remember?

Yes, I remember. I also remember feeling very awkward and uncomfortable, (Both myself and my friend were noting the tension on the drive home) due to a fiasco a few weeks earlier wherein my wife and I placed our very first geocache along a creek which was heavily debated as being public or private. Despite our best efforts and intentions, said geocache, and our efforts to place it were unceremoniously critisized and we managed to become ostracized from the local geocaching community. Precicely why we didn't make an appearance at Cache around the fire 2, or other local events.

Funny how we always seem to bump heads in some form or another, isn't it? And not in the "ha-ha" sort of way.

I think perhaps it's time for us to just retire from the sport alltogether.

Edited by Team GeoMacs

uh oh... sounds like a possible geocide!

i took mr. speedy's comment of "You are doing good to maintain your cache, even if it's been archive. There are too many contriversial finds these days" as an olive branch, not butting heads.

so my response to the question posed in the original post:

after the explanation mr. speedy just provided, i'd let the log stand. seems legit to me.

There is a cacher near me that looks for archived caches, and picks up the geo-litter left behind.

He loves to log a "found it" on a cache that had 5 or 6 DNF's and then was archived.

Strange....but that's his thing. I love when he finds my archived caches and picks up the containers.

I let him keep them and re-hide them somewhere else.