The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

Those days are the four days in the year on which solar time (sundials) more or less no divergence in time to the time used for clocks etc. The rest of the time, the time shown on sundials is further away from the time used on clocks due to the orbit of the earth around the sun not being completely circular and the earth being tilted.

I should grow a beard.

I should grow a beard.

And put a bone in it.

eh?

I assumed from your avatar that you're a Douglas Adams fan. In Life, The Universe and Everything, Arthur has a rabbit bone in his beard.

Perhaps I should get out more!

Sorry - i get it now... went completely over my head...

I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle

Yup, Nediam's got it. ZoomLens has too, but Nediam was first.

Those four days are the only days in the year when a correctlu aligned sundial shows the correct time.

It's called the Equation of Time, or analemma. Plotting the time difference between actual time and Mean time for a full year shows the difference like this:

eot3.gif

The now defunct Greenwich Mean Time took account of the average of each day's analemmic difference and integrated the data into a single unified time. It is essential in global navigation to allow for the Equation of Time, as all measurements of Longitude are fundamentally based on a measurement of time.

Over to Nediam.

Right, I've got a nice quick easy one as I've got to go out in a little while :P

In British Greyhound racing there are six dogs in each race. The dogs are numbered 1 to 6 and each start from a "trap" with the same number. To aid spectators, each dog wears a different colour.

The question is:- What are the colours for each dog from 1 to 6?

Well looking at my Parklife I would say

Red

Blue

White

Black

Yellow

B&W stripes

Living 2km from a track also helps.

Sorry, NOT yellow :laughing: (but very close ;) )

Well then by trial and error it must be

red

blue

white

black

GOLD

B&W stripes

Nope, not as fancy as gold :laughing:

Hint:- Between Red and Yellow :laughing:

dadgum.... beaten again!

One day I will be victorious!!! <taking this a little too seriously, perhaps>

(Interestingly, the first word in this post should sound the same as a large barrier across a river, causing the accumulation of water for the purpose of generating power, or flood control - but it has been changed - we wouldn't want american sensibilities offended now, would we?)

Edited by ZoomLens

Oooh, I think I might know this one!

Is it the war we had with Zanzibar, end of the 1800s which lasted somewhat less than an hour, though there is even dispute about whether it lasted 38 or 45 minutes! The Anglo-Zanzibar War. :tired:

DING!

Different places say 38 or 45 minutes... well done!

Over to you.

They say

Ding

I'm a bit lost so I decide to check where I am be reading the names on the lamp posts, benches, bollards etc... after walking 200 yards I find that I have been in The City of London, The City of Westminster, Clerkenwell, Soho, Hanover Square, Chelsea and Lambeth.

But where am I really?

The London Transport Museum in Covent Garden?

The London Transport Museum in Covent Garden?

Let me see, mhh, nope. I must be well over 100 miles from where you have suggested MartyBartfast and these ones are being used for their original purposes, lighting roads, being sat on and guarding footpaths from stray vehicles.

The Tram museum at Crich (SP?) in Derbyshire?

I'll still stick with New York but would like an expanation, if I am correct, about Clerkenwell, City of Westminster and Lambeth.

Its also a bit of a walk between SoHo and Chelsea and come to that, Hanover Square. (watched The Squid and the Whale last night (set in NY) and Hanover Sq metro station popped into view)