Everett Cache Machine?

Right Wing Wacko

At tonights WSGA meeting I took a little poll of the north end cachers as to what should be included in an Everett Cache Machine.

It looks like it will include Everett, Snohomish, Marysville, and Arlington! Well over 100 caches on the route. However since it's closer to the population centers of the state, a good number of people will have already done many of them.

I've discussed adding a twist.... but I won't discuss that now until we get it finalized.

I'm aiming for one of the last two weekends of July. After Champoeg but before the WSGA campout. At this point everything depends on finding a place to feed the masses after the fun is over! ;)

Edited by Right Wing Wacko
At this point everything depends on finding a place to feed the masses after the fun is over! ;)

Have you considered an outdoor picnic? That was my plan for Grays Harbor. The numbers of cachers attending these things is getting too big to fit in one room at a restaurant and we can't get a good enough head count beforehand for catering to work well. At most of the machines people end up sitting in different parts of the restaurant.

Edited by Stump

Yes, I did think of this and even have an idea of a couple of places where it could happen. The only problem with a picnic is that it needs to be during the daylight hours and eats up a couple of good caching hours.

In July it stays light until 10 PM. And not sure why it would need to take longer than a dinner.

The cache machine page has finally been posted (awaiting approval) and a preliminary bookmark list / route has been made. I'm sure the route will change between now and July 29th.

The Cache Machine Dinner will be at the Village Restaurant in Marysville at 7:30PM. They are open until Midnight, so if you can't get there right at 7:30 thats fine.

Now to find a place for the Pre-CM dinner.. is Pizza ok with everyone?

:laughing: We live in North Seattle near Edmonds. Therefore we frequent the Northend quite a bit. I LOVE the North. Anything North of Seattle is great. I always feel such peace driving that direction. I don't know how many caches there will be that we haven't found but if we can make it we will.

Don't want this to interfere with the big Cache splash event going on this summer. Have you guys worked out the details of that?

Ok after looking at the route all I can say is that is an ambitious route even for people that have found a few, because it seems unlikely that a group will have all gotten more then a bare minimum.

I personally don't think I have found a single one on the route so it is going to take two days to finish that thing.

Should be a blast though

Ok after looking at the route all I can say is that is an ambitious route even for people that have found a few, because it seems unlikely that a group will have all gotten more then a bare minimum.

I personally don't think I have found a single one on the route so it is going to take two days to finish that thing.

Should be a blast though

Gee maybe I should start now. :laughing:

Should be a blast though

The route will probably get trimmed down a bit. There are some puzzles and multi's on the route that probably should not be there.

Because this cache machine is closer in to the population centers than most of the past cache machines, I expect that there will be a large number of people that have found a good number of the caches on the route.

Question: Are we looking for quality caches to represent the area or just caches to provide a 'smilie' for those willing to do them?

After the last three weeks seeking caches in the Everett/Mill Creek area, I definitely have an opinion of some that should be included and those that should be skipped.

:grin:

Question: Are we looking for quality caches to represent the area or just caches to provide a 'smilie' for those willing to do them?

Did you see the thread's subtitle :unsure:

Yep.

I'll enjoy watching the logs for the one where you park and get out of your car to find that you have to walk through the used 'feminine hygiene products' and past the discarded TV so you can try to avoid the hidden thigh deep depressions in the ground...all for the small screw-top ziplock container hidden in a tangle of blackberry vines.

I just thought I'd try and help others avoid that bit of fun, but I guess some people just like that kind of thing.

Since you are doing Narbeck Pencil Cache (24) you might want to add in GCWCGG since it is only .2 miles away and shares the same parking location. Just a suggestion.

Boy, if that's not a little blatant unsolicited self promotion I don't know what is. :mad:

That being said, yeah that would be a cache well worth adding to the route. Of course if you were around in the 70's and remember the movie "Frogs", you might get a little creeped out on the way to the cahe.

Boy, if that's not a little blatant unsolicited self promotion I don't know what is. :mad:

That being said, yeah that would be a cache well worth adding to the route. Of course if you were around in the 70's and remember the movie "Frogs", you might get a little creeped out on the way to the cahe.

Well golly... I don't know about that. Just hate to see the numbers folks walk by one cache on the way to another. Especially an easy one like that. Of course their geo-sense probably would have detected a cache in the area anyhow.

Boy, if that's not a little blatant unsolicited self promotion I don't know what is. :laughing:

Well golly... I don't know about that. Just hate to see the numbers folks walk by one cache on the way to another. Especially an easy one like that. Of course their geo-sense probably would have detected a cache in the area anyhow.

When cache machines first started they were totally about the numbers. Lately we try to add some variety to the mix.

The latest cache machine in Longview included a loop down thru oregon to pick up some great caches out in the woods. Part of the problem I'm having here is that there are an awfull lot of caches in the CM area. Some caches are going to have to be dropped. Which ones... I don't know yet, but it may be dictated by easy routing instead of cache quality... besides I don't want to be the judge of cache quality as it's way to subjective. I've also dropped a few caches from the route because the cache machine would put the cache in danger or the cache isn't suited to more than one or two people going after it at once.

I am VERY open to suggestions as to which caches to add and delete from the route. I've been trying to keep up on the new caches in the area that have been placed since the first draft was posted but I could easily have missed some.

I've included a loop thru the seven lakes area west of Marysville and a short jaunt to a big park east of arlington with several caches in it. I had originally thought of putting on a pot luck dinner in this park for the CM dinner instead of meeting in a restaurant, but the logistics just didn't work out.

Also included but not on the official route will be a night cache, that will require finding four of the other caches along the route to get the final coords. I figure those of us that find all four during the day can go after the final after dinner.

Oh.... one more note to Cache Owners. If you don't want your cache on the route let me know and I'll drop it. It would be a good idea to replace the logs in your Micros a few days before the CM.... we tend to fill up logs quickly!

At my cache "Haunting the Lake" GCRN8M, there is parking for maybe 4-5 cars if muggles aren't there (and they always seem to be) & parking along that road would put you on the Grim Reaper's List... I love the idea of this cache being included, but wanted to warn you.

At my cache "Haunting the Lake" GCRN8M, there is parking for maybe 4-5 cars if muggles aren't there (and they always seem to be) & parking along that road would put you on the Grim Reaper's List... I love the idea of this cache being included, but wanted to warn you.

Yea, but it's late enough in the route that there will most likely be only one or two cars at a time showing up for it.

are there any tent campgrounds near by? :lol:

Here's 3 others in the vicinity, well sort of. One is actually on the cache machine route:

River Meadows Park - Arlington (on the cache machine route)

Kayak Point - between Stanwood & Tulalip

Flowing Lake Park - Snohomish

Hmmm, I didn't know Flowing Lake had a campground in the park.

Anyway, there is a cache on the Machine at Flowing Lake as well.

Flightdeck has dropped off the bookmark list, but is still listed in the route doc (stop 10).

Harborview has dropped off the bookmark list, but is still listed in the route doc (stop 14).

Oops, I see that happened, even though it says "Draft 2" on the cache page document, it still links to Draft 1.

Flightdeck has dropped off the bookmark list, but is still listed in the route doc (stop 10).

Harborview has dropped off the bookmark list, but is still listed in the route doc (stop 14).

Oops, I see that happened, even though it says "Draft 2" on the cache page document, it still links to Draft 1.

Whoops... fixed

Can anyone recommend a hotel in or around Marysville? I have checked the reviews of many of them (at tripadvisor etc) and most of the reviews say you would be better off sleeping in your car than staying in the local hotels.

Looking for a place with a pool and wireless. If they have wireless at the pool, so much the better! :-) :-)

Any suggestions other than sleeping in my car?

-MrG

Can anyone recommend a hotel in or around Marysville? I have checked the reviews of many of them (at tripadvisor etc) and most of the reviews say you would be better off sleeping in your car than staying in the local hotels.

Looking for a place with a pool and wireless. If they have wireless at the pool, so much the better! :-) :-)

-MrG

I've stayed at the Comfort Inn in Marysville once or twice. I don't know if they have a pool but they have highspeed (don't remember if it's wifi or hardwired). It's surprisingly quiet considering it's right next to the freeway.

I've also gotten some pretty good deals in North Lynnwood on priceline on the weekends for 2.5* places

-MrG

This place has a pool, but there high speed internet is hardwired. It is the newest hotel in the Smokey Point Marysville area. http://www.hawthorninn.com/reservations/lo....asp?facid=2219

Edited by Harriet the Spy

-MrG

This place has a pool, but there high speed internet is hardwired. It is the newest hotel in the Smokey Point Marysville area. http://www.hawthorninn.com/reservations/lo....asp?facid=2219

The Hawthorn Inn is completely booked for the weekend -- I checked yesterday. I ended up with a decent deal at Days Inn by the Everett Mall for $67.99/night single. Includes hot breakfast, wifi, and outdoor pool. Everything else in the area is fully booked or a lot more expensive.

Hello All,

I was wondering if any one has done the cache mach in GSAK. I was going to start on one, but I thought I would ask first. If not, I will post one by Wed or Thurs.

Naha Tyee

aka Lori

Yes, I've got one including including the 'stop' number (in the User1 field).

I can provide it for those that are intrested, and if they are a paying member of the site (since I got it via Pocket Query).

RWW, are you going to be making any last minute changes to the Route?

I'd suggest you remove GeoRoo's "I Thought I Saw a Puddy Cat" (GCV06F). jcar confirmed that it was missing last Sunday. All that is there is a bird house. :P

Also, You Say it's Your Birthday?! by cmnut (GCTV03) has been archived.

Hello All,

I was wondering if any one has done the cache mach in GSAK. I was going to start on one, but I thought I would ask first. If not, I will post one by Wed or Thurs.

Naha Tyee

aka Lori

I can provide it for those that are intrested, and if they are a paying member of the site (since I got it via Pocket Query).

I would be very interested. We are paid members, so how do I go about. I also did a pocket query, but I know it will take a bit to sort through the many caches in the areas.

Lori

Since most people have already downloaded the route and started working on their files, rather than publish an updated route at this late of a date.... I'll publish this addendum:

1. I Thought I Saw a Puddy Cat" (GCV06F) - Reported Missing

2. You Say it's Your Birthday?! by cmnut (GCTV03) has been archived.

3. Cache Splash: Don't Take Any Wooden Nickels (GCWVP2) - Removed at Owners Request - Access Problems

4. Hocus Locust Pocus - Temporary Disabled... Don't know if it will be back in time.

There may be more updates before Friday's pre-cm dinner

Hello All,

Naha Tyee

aka Lori

I would be very interested. We are paid members, so how do I go about. I also did a pocket query, but I know it will take a bit to sort through the many caches in the areas.

Lori

Lori,

Maybe this will be easier for you.

Click this link for the CM Bookmark list

Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Create Pocket Query button.

When you get the email, save the file you get to where ever you normally save it.

Open GSAK and create a new Database. Name it ECM.

Import the PQ file you just saved into the new database.

Do your thing. :unsure: