Member Only Caches

I bought Membership because my nearest unfound cache was your virtual member-only one. It is all your fault that I am now paying £30 per year for a quite brilliant hobby ;))

Thank you! B))

Stuey,

Why are you paying so much? Do you have "Exclusive Premium Membership"? What do you get for that? (or should that be another thread? LOL)

:ph34r::wub::wub::wub::wub::(:(

windywalkers please take a few weeks to think about what you intend to do with your caches, so that your not acting on impulse and have carefully thought things through.

As for naming and shaming, please don't. As this will only lead to a slanging match here in the forums and possibly escalate the problem. Pass any abusive emails on to our Mods, who as Lactodorum has already stated will investigate them, and if necessary pass them up to Groundspeak for further investigation.

The MO status of a cache is down to the placer, and many who have changed theirs from a Non MO to MO status after a period of being live. I'm sure on receipt of a polite email request, would allow a non premium member to log it if they've found it using old information (usually by changing the status for 10-15 minutes at a agreed time).

Dave

Is anyone going to start a thread about poor spelling and punctuation? :wub:

At the minute we've got everyone's favourite controversial subjects being hotly debated - I think the only one missing is the spelling issue! :ph34r:

At least they're keeping all those pesky congrats threads at the bottom of the page! :wub::wub:

Please take these comments in the light-hearted manner in which they were intended... :wub:

Is anyone going to start a thread about poor spelling and punctuation? :wub:

At the minute we've got everyone's favourite controversial subjects being hotly debated - I think the only one missing is the spelling issue! :ph34r:

no ownder the Uth on jhere \/\/ant th3Ir own web space... ahcK th3 plannet

(º¿º) :wub:

We did a MO Night cache a couple of years ago, the reason the owner (who has now left the sport) placed it as a members only was that there were at the time a couple of people in the area who didn't like the idea of a Night caches. One of the original night caches in the area that was not MO got sabotaged quite quickly within days of being activated.

It certainly is a fiery topic this one!! I've only ever done one member only cache near me, and I've been to far more inspirational 'free' ones to be honest! It was a pot at bottom of a pole... I like the idea of making a cache premium only until FTF then setting it free. I didn't realise that you could see who was looking at the cache!! :rolleyes:

Yes, that's why I make mine MO until a few finders have been, a little perk for those who pay to help this site keep going.

People are very quick to moan when the site goes down, but don't often equate that with membership.

If it was left to me, I'd make ya'll pay and be done with! :rolleyes:

This year I opened up two of my MO caches on Christmas Eve as a little bonus.

Well I may add my say :ph34r:

I also put most of my caches as PM's for the first two weeks or so. I got the idea from Haggis Hunter and I do it because:

1. I like to see who is looking at it and trying to guess who is going to be FTF

2. As ppl have said it gives something back to people who have helped the site by paying (Not that non PM's don't help by placing etc)

Once it has been found by a few or a couple of weeks have passed, I will open it to all.

CD

Unless it's a cache that I am placing for an event, all of mine are MO until a few have found it or a couple of weeks have past.

What I do find funny is that MO puzzle caches that appear in Scotland tend to get a post from a non paying member within the first day. There is a cheats way of doing this with the help of a paying member. Everytime I see one of these posts I tend to have a little chuckle. :laughing:

What I do find funny is that MO puzzle caches that appear in Scotland tend to get a post from a non paying member within the first day. There is a cheats way of doing this with the help of a paying member. Everytime I see one of these posts I tend to have a little chuckle. :D

There is also a cheats way of doing this WITHOUT the help of a paying member! :D:D:D

Perhaps if you made your caches available to all cachers, this wouldnt happen ??

chuckle chuckle! :D

2. As ppl have said it gives something back to people who have helped the site by paying (Not that non PM's don't help by placing etc)

CD

Thanks for that CD

After setting 168 caches to date, and another 15 boxes sitting here ready to go out, helping and paying for a lodge for the Angus Cache Bash, doing the same again this year , I feel that I am contributing sufficiently to the hobby.

Edited by perth pathfinders

What I do find funny is that MO puzzle caches that appear in Scotland tend to get a post from a non paying member within the first day. There is a cheats way of doing this with the help of a paying member. Everytime I see one of these posts I tend to have a little chuckle. :D

There is also a cheats way of doing this WITHOUT the help of a paying member! :D:D:D

Perhaps if you made your caches available to all cachers, this wouldnt happen ??

chuckle chuckle! :D

ALL my caches ARE available for ALL cachers, just not at the beginning of their life. If you want to be all so high and mighty about not paying, that is fine. But please leave me as a paying member and contributer in many other ways to decide how I run my caches.

Chuckle chuckle, yes I do find it funny that you like to show you can get access to the MO caches when you aren't a paying member. One must ensure that you don't post a find by mistake, as it would be rather embarrassing to ask for your log to be deleted as you don't have access to it.

What you have to remember is that this is an option that is allowed for the premium members, if you don't like not having access then there is one of two things you can do about it. 1. Pay the small amount for the years membership or 2. Stop complaining, like you have just done!!

There is also a cheats way of doing this WITHOUT the help of a paying member

It's not a cheats way. :D

It is a known way left in deliberately by the site owners to allow non PM's to log PM caches

This lets people who have two accounts, groups at events, children, dogs etc to log these caches.

In this case I certainly don't have any sort of problem. As long as the member comes from a premium members household and isn't just out caching with a premium member. Such as my daughter HayLin logged a MO cache last week. I did however check that the owner was happy with it, as I was happy for his son to have logged one of my caches a while back. At that time however I never knew you could do it the cheats way. I told him to backlog his entry once it went active for all.

CD

Thanks for that CD

After setting 168 caches to date, and another 15 boxes sitting here ready to go out, helping and paying for a lodge for the Angus Cache Bash, doing the same again this year , I feel that I am contributing sufficiently to the hobby.

I think you are being extremely unfair on CD here, as he has said the same as you, except he only used 9 words and those are the ones in brackets.

I think everyone, including myself appreciates that others put out caches for others to enjoy, the game wouldn't work otherwise. However it also definitely wouldn't work without the financial support that it gains through it's members and sponsorship, as they wouldn't be able to run the servers that we all hit on a daily basis. The more caches that people put out, means the more that the site is going to be used. I certainly don't mind contributing my yearly pittance, it also makes it more interesting for me, which is an added bonus.

I too had no idea that this was such a thorny subject :lol:

If I had then I may well not have set my MO cache, but in my case that would have meant it did not get set at all.

It's one at the bottom of my garden, a micro with nothing but a log book. Living in a ground floor flat I could justify it to the other people in the flats above as a " type of clue" in a modern day "high tech treasure hunt" played my members of one of the websites I belong to. Sorry but that was the best way I could come up with at the time for explaining Geocaching.

As such they were happy for the cache to be placed, the rest of my caches, only 3 to date , are all open from day 1 and to the best of my knowledge I have only completed 1 other MO cache myself and part of another.

Having set my MO cache it has had the desired effect ( taking into account the location) of getting to meet several other caches , pity I've also missed some visits..... will it ever become open to all ? NO, the circumstances round this cache do not allow it, and I suspect that is also true of some other MO caches.

Will I set another MO cache , YES, but only when I move and find another garden suitable for a cache.

Do I mind people setting MO caches... Not in the slightest , there are plenty of other ones for me to go for if I don't want to do them...

Just my 2penworth

FBS