New 'discovered It' Log

Not So Lost Puppies

I just saw this posted in the announcment section:

"Discovered It" log type announcement original topic

Lately there has been an increase in logging activity for Travel Bugs and Geocoins. Unfortunately many people were picking up and dropping these items into the same geocache so they could increase their find count or receive a new trackable icon in their profile. As a result we have created a new log type which also goes towards your profile count without causing unnecessary extra movements for the trackable item.

The new log type is called "Discovered it" and can be used if you have the tracking number for the icon. Please use this if you have no plans to move the Travel Bug or geocoin to a new location.

--------------------

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

That should help with the event owners during coin swaps, as long as people use it.

Edited by Not So Lost Puppies

I like the idea too, however, many folks can't work within the prior choices to properly log a TB or coin and I feel this will only confuse them and lead to more "lost" trackables.

This past weekend, I just taught someone who has been a member since 2003 how to properly log a travel bug. They never knew that they were supposed to actually log the item in and out, and have been leaving notes on cache logs all this time, lol!

Edited by AtlantaGal
:unsure: I think this new feature is a good idea but I also wonder about the 'I discovered it' part. At least GC is responding to something that needed to be made easier. Something that kind of bugs me which has not been properly addressed is the problem that we collectors encounter on a daily basis, that being all our coins showing up in the list of items we have in our possession. When I have picked up a TB or a coin which I intend to move along, I have to pour through my entire list to locate the one or two items which I am not keeping on a permanent basis. I wish GC would make a provision for placing those items we do not intend to move from cache to cache (i.e. 'collect'). I did read a while back about creating a dummy cache and placing all your trackables that you are keeping in it but that seems like a strange solution to me. How do the administrators react when one creates a cache that they do not intend to activate? I think it would be much more workable if GC would create a 'keepers' list (call it what you want) where we could place our items we are keeping so they do not show up in the list of items we will be placing in a cache at some point in time. Any thoughts or should I start a new thread for this discussion?

When you create the new cache, you don't check the box that says "this cache is active".

It never hits the approver's queue, and goes "unknown" to them - so it's actually a good and easy solution.

You can also:

1) Mark your coins as "location unknown" - it's gets them out of your posession, but you can always "retrieve" them if you want.

2) Drop them in an archived cache

As for the OP: I'm glad to finally see this. Nothing is more of a pain in the a** than getting 200 emails as an event owner that read "bug drop".

I keep my coins in a fake cache... one that I've never activated that I also use to store photos and test HTML... Works fine, except people can't drop coins back into that cache.

Use an archived cache or event that you own :unsure:

Edited by AtlantaGal

I keep my coins in a fake cache... one that I've never activated that I also use to store photos and test HTML... Works fine, except people can't drop coins back into that cache.

Fine, the coins can sit in the cache, and when you show them to people you meet, they can log "discovered it." Seems like the new feature fits your situation nicely.

The 'discovered it' feature for geocoins is great but I think the icon for it when you look at your profile should be something other than a smily face.

In the lines of the other icons like the up arrow, the down arrow and the up&down arrow, how about an arrow that circles the TB symbol and with a handle below it, it could look like a magnifying glass. Discovered it, right.

There was quite a bit of open discussion on this feature and the wording a little while ago. Once the committee gets involved the solution tends to be at less risk of offending, but also a little peculiar. I already discovered a few coins!

And why should we care if the smiley is unique to a "discovered it" log?

Also, I doubt that anyone who made it as far as selecting the log type of the TB failed to complete the entry. It's more likely that they never visited that page to begin with.

Use an archived cache or event that you own :)

Then I'd have to get the reviewer to unlock it... :cry:

I archived my first cache after it was stolen and we, other local cachers and I, have used it for logging Travel Bugs in and out of for swapping Bugs or logging miles. Didn't have to have reviewer unlock it or anything.

This is why I have begun scanning and laminating coins I purchase. They stay in my collection, but the laminate goes out and I keep my coin in my private collection.

I'd hate to hike a long ways to a cache just to find a piece of paper. But thats a totally different subject.

I'd like to see of an easier way to pull back alot of coins (mine) from an event all at the same time. ;)

This is why I have begun scanning and laminating coins I purchase. They stay in my collection, but the laminate goes out and I keep my coin in my private collection.

I'd hate to hike a long ways to a cache just to find a piece of paper. But thats a totally different subject.

I'd like to see of an easier way to pull back alot of coins (mine) from an event all at the same time. ;)

It was interesting to read in another thread recently how disappointed people are when they find laminated paper masqerading as a geocoin. This technique only serves to please one person. Everyone else gets to be annoyed/disappointed/etc.

I like the idea too, however, many folks can't work within the prior choices to properly log a TB or coin and I feel this will only confuse them and lead to more "lost" trackables.

This past weekend, I just taught someone who has been a member since 2003 how to properly log a travel bug. They never knew that they were supposed to actually log the item in and out, and have been leaving notes on cache logs all this time, lol!

I just don't activate my coins anymore