Moun10bike Geocoin

Defender1

Well your harrassment and childish behavior got the best of my friend, he ended the auction and emailed the high bidder and told them that it was no longer available as he could not end the auction early since is was so close to the item end. I still cant belive the number of theating emails he recived for this item, I have a compleatly different view of 90% of you now. It seems like something those of you who got picked on in school would do, send threating mail as there is no chance of confrintation. Now you can all sleep better at night knowing the coin was not sold on ebay, I will be putting it in MY LAST CACHE or I may give it to one of the many supporters who emailed my friend telling him good for you, so know that if you were against the sell of this coin, the whole Groundspeak community was not. If the false ICON you all worship reads this he will be happy to know that the coin was not sold, We decided to make the masses happy, but it was pretty fun while it lasted. Take care all. Oh and to anyone I may have offended or made mad I appologize now and hope we can all carry on like grown adults.

Well your harrassment and childish behavior got the best of my friend, he ended the auction and emailed the high bidder and told them that it was no longer available as he could not end the auction early since is was so close to the item end. I still cant belive the number of theating emails he recived for this item, I have a compleatly different view of 90% of you now. It seems like something those of you who got picked on in school would do, send threating mail as there is no chance of confrintation. Now you can all sleep better at night knowing the coin was not sold on ebay, I will be putting it in MY LAST CACHE or I may give it to one of the many supporters who emailed my friend telling him good for you, so know that if you were against the sell of this coin, the whole Groundspeak community was not. If the false ICON you all worship reads this he will be happy to know that the coin was not sold, We decided to make the masses happy, but it was pretty fun while it lasted. Take care all. Oh and to anyone I may have offended or made mad I appologize now and hope we can all carry on like grown adults.

:laughing:

nevermind

Edited by Mystery Ink

Well written, when I posted this first in the forums my intent was to express my opinion and that’s it, I did email your friend twice when I first noticed the coin for sale but never said anything threatening, rude or any thing of the sort. I will agree with you that is was wrong and immature to harass him as he knows nothing of the sport but I will still hold ground that this was the same a selling something that you did not own and without the real owners permission. I am glad to see that the coin will not be sold on eBay and if you do put it back in a cache that would be great. The true reality of it is this coin is valuable and even if you release it back out it will be picked up and kept/sold. I to will end with an apology if I offended anyone with my posting I will admit that I was a bit heated in the start but had read many sides of the issue. Now thats all I got to say im going geocaching...... :laughing:

Edited for spelling

Edited by Team Jsam

I never understood what the big deal was. Hundreds of coins are sold on ebay every week and nobody makes a peep out of it. While I can appreciate how much people want the Moun10Bike coin, it is just a silly coin like the rest.

I can't see why people say this was stolen, as technically it is abandoned property (?) like any geoswag, or geocache for that matter.

Threatening the seller is just a stupid thing to do.

Had the coin holder been given the coin by moun10bike with conditions, that would be different.

I never understood what the big deal was. Hundreds of coins are sold on ebay every week and nobody makes a peep out of it. While I can appreciate how much people want the Moun10Bike coin, it is just a silly coin like the rest.

I can't see why people say this was stolen, as technically it is abandoned property (?) like any geoswag, or geocache for that matter.

Threatening the seller is just a stupid thing to do.

Had the coin holder been given the coin by moun10bike with conditions, that would be different.

Most of the coins that are sold on eBay are unactivated there is a big difference between activated and unactivated to me at least :laughing:

While it is ridiculous for people to send harassing emails to the seller of the Moun10Bike coin; he already had the bids and had already endured the reading of the emails, why did he end the auction? He could have let it finish and then gone on with his life and forgot about Geocaching and mean geocachers.

It is against eBay to send such email so he should have just reported the people.

Did Moun10Bike email your friend? If not then everyone else justs needs to MYOB. It is not their coin and they have no say it what is done with it.

I don't believe that anyone should threaten the individual who placed the coin on ebay. I contacted the individual who placed the coin on ebay to explain why this coin was special and/or unique. The email that I received from him was one of a responsible and respectful person. The individual who placed the coin on ebay is not the individual that everyone should be upset with. He isn't a geocacher and knows nothing of the sport. I can almost guarantee that he will never geocache thanks to the people who sent threatening or nasty emails to him. Is this really the way we want to be seen in the community?

Well, well, well......One side of the story being told here. I did email your buddy a few times. I asked him if he was going to be HONEST and post on the ebay page that the coin would be dead. His words to me "I heard it was posted in the forums" and "I am not one of you geopeople and don't care."

After the next email when I asked him why he wasn't being honest about the coin he replied back to me that "You are just mad you can't afford the coin and please stop emailing me as he had contacted his lawyer about the harrassment he had been getting"

I replied back with my name and address for his lawyer to feel free and contact me.

Your friend is not honest.

Your friend has got quite the attitude to people being nice and asking a few questions.

As for the part about being afraid of confrontation........He did have the guts to email me back after I gave him my address.

All of this is hearsay (with the exception of 5cent that I see), so before everyone jumps on the wagon, step back, stop and don't start unless you actually know the facts. I don't know if it's the case here, but I've heard a lot of people talking up the word "threatening" and such and what was being said wasn't even close, just a flare for the dramatic.

edited for new post

Edited by Hula Bum

I'm going to ignore the "behind the scenes" story for a moment...

Selling Moun10Bike Coins on eBay is equivalent to selling pirated movies, music, and software, if anyone wants a quick analogy. It's capitalism, so there's no morality on the actual ACT of selling.

The issue is profiting from ideas and goods that the seller does NOT own. I don't see the bootleggers whining for moral justifications when they make their profit from movies and music. :laughing:

DISCLAIMER: I've sent no e-mails to any of the parties involved in ANY of the Moun10Bike Coin sales for the past 6 months. I'm just shooting off what I see in the public forums.

Hmmm. The coin belongs to moun10bike. I don't think that comes as a big surprise, since it says so on the coin's page. Moun10bike is not the one selling it, and he did not approve of the sale.

What's it called when you take something that does not belong to you and give it to another person in exchange for your debts? What's it called when they in turn try to sell it? Pretty basic issues here; it would be nice if the original poster made sure to provide the entire picture. Just for clarity's sake...

Does this mean that all of the Moun10bike coins that are sitting in collections are going to be released? Wooohooo, can't wait.

Moun10Bike has the final say in that doesn't he? Check the logs on #003 and check the text on the coins' descriptions.

Edited by budd-rdc

Does this mean that all of the Moun10bike coins that are sitting in collections are going to be released? Wooohooo, can't wait.

Um.....no.

Have you read the coin pages?

"This coin may be kept, traded, sent traveling, gifted or otherwise enjoyed by the holder. I do, however, retain the right to delete virtual logs or other bogus logs. Also, no sales of this geocoin are allowed."

You know I smelled a rat from the very beginning of this auction, one would have to wonder if this coin was actually going to be sold or if it was used as a pawn to stir it up. The price that this coin reached is unheard of, didn't a version 1 sell for less than this? What made this one worth $2K+, inside bidding? There are only two people that know what the actual intentions where going to be for this coin. I say send the coin back to the "icon" and let him keep "his" coin since he is the true owner.

We've heard from the other side. I don't like the tone this thread is taking. This has been discussed many times and so I'm closing yet another thread on the same topic. Moun10Bike has posted his feelings in a previous thread.

People, if you communicate with other cachers via the geocaching.com system you must still respect one and other. No harrassment, no abusive tones, no threats, nor anything of the kind will be tolerated. Please treat others as you would like to have others treat you. I would hope the same goes for other sites, and your behavior reflects on the community as a whole, so please think twice and read three times before you send an email to another cacher.

Some basic rules from the terms of use page that apply here:

You and not Groundspeak, are entirely responsible for all content that you upload, post or otherwise transmit via the Site. You agree not to:

(a) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, slanderous, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, embarrassing, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable to any other person or entity.

(j) "Stalk," harass, or otherwise harm another Site user.

If you would like to read the entire Terms Of Use they can be found here.

I am closing this thread.