Memory Map For £20

That does seem way too good to be true. It's probably not an original disk. Whether that bothers you or not is another thing!

It may also only be the maps and not the actual MM program itself. He doesn't actually say that it's the program and maps as far as I can see.

It does seem very cheap.

Looks like the 'one before current' version. If so it's the one I use and I'm happy with it.

As far as I remember the program was on the disks along with the map data. But I think I had to enter a serial number and possibly even connect to the internet to register it. Might be wrong there.

Are you up for a £20 gamble?

To be honest, I would have had real trouble with the maps on my PDA last week as I spent a few days caching in unknown territory and would have wasted ages trying to find the start of the right footpath each time.

Yes I could have used a paper map but I didn't want to buy maps for all the places I might go caching in.

That does seem way too good to be true. It's probably not an original disk. Whether that bothers you or not is another thing!

It may also only be the maps and not the actual MM program itself. He doesn't actually say that it's the program and maps as far as I can see.

It does say the disc and serial, so I guess it does have the software with it.

I suppose if it's a copy I could claim it back off my credit card as fraud.

I've just ordered, so if you can wait a couple of days I'll let you know :-)

I've already got a legal copy of the software, but some of my map disks have been damaged (guess who was too daft to back up their disks? :anicute: ), so even if it's only the maps it's no loss to me, as that's all I need.

Edited by Paul G0TLG

I've just ordered, so if you can wait a couple of days I'll let you know :-)

I've already got a legal copy of the software, but some of my map disks have been damaged (guess who was too daft to back up their disks? :yikes: ), so even if it's only the maps it's no loss to me, as that's all I need.

If it is legal, I'll split the cost and buy the serial number off you if you like (well you have to be cheeky sometimes :anicute: )

ebay sale

Is this a con, or simply an out of date version? I've not used any mapping software, but this looks a very good price. Will this version allow my to overlay tracklogs, routes etc?

That's the version I use. Yes, you can overlay tracklogs recorded on a GPSr. You can create tracks and routes on you PC and download them to your GPSr. You can move 'waypoint's in both directions too

Example: this track was recorded by my Legend last Saturday :unsure:

bb.jpg

Edited by Pharisee

We saw this advertised last week, and e-mailed the seller asking if these were genuine memory map disks or illegal copies. We received no reply and drew our own conclusions.

Each region of genuine memory map comes on its own CD. They do not supply all 12 regions on one CD. Each disk will come with its own serial number. You must have this serial number in order to register with memory map so that they can e-mail you the keycode to enable you to have full rights to run and use the software. For instance, without the keycode you will not be able to download caches from geocaching.com to memorymap.

For what it's worth, we have been using memory map 2004 version since it was first released and find it very useful for geocaching (and cycling and driving). We have an IPAQ 5450 PDA to which you can transfer selections of maps via a serial cable, then using either a bluetooth or GPS linked via a serial cable you can track a route to the cache.

Genuine memory-map 2004, costs around £15.00 per region and can be obtained from evo distribution

Note: Version 2004 is not compatible with the new V5 memory-map!!!

hope this helps.

regards

BikerKats

Please remember that this forum must NOT be used to promote "Software Piracy". If you wish to do that please go elsewhere.

While I don't have a problem with people discussing Pirate software, actively inviting others to acquire it is another matter. Let's keep to the right side of that very fine line please.

Can anyone tell me if they think this ebay sale would not include a serial number please? They mention it not being upgradeable and Memory-Map say a valid serial number is needed to upgrade.

My understanding is you need a serial number to unlock the facility to import and plot trackroutes and waypoints - is that correct or have I got that wrong?

Edited by Dan LXIX

Can anyone tell me if they think this ebay sale would not include a serial number please? They mention it not being upgradeable and Memory-Map say a valid serial number is needed to upgrade.

My understanding is you need a serial number to unlock the facility to import and plot trackroutes and waypoints - is that correct or have I got that wrong?

The seller, Evo Ditribution, is the official Memory Map distributor. Also, if you check the email link towards the bottom of the page it's to a guy at memory-map.co.uk

So I would suggest it's a legit clearance (trying to get rid of 2004 stock, now V5 is on sale) by Memory-map.co.uk (Evo distribution) and would come with a legit serial number.

You do need the serial number to unlock the facility to import and plot trackroutes also for some of the printing functions you also need a serial upgrade (pro version, if I remember correctly) during which you confirm the serial number supplied with the CDs, which is then replaced by a new serial number.

The serial numbers are supposed to be "locked" to a user and a pc and you may need MM assistance in the event of having to reload the software due to the MM registration process.

There are, as others have commented, ways of getting around the registration process, but if you were do such a thing, and then request support for a problem resolution, from Evo / MM, they would quickly point out to you that you have an illegal version or copy. It's amazing how the combination of cookies, spyware and other "hidden" tricks software suppliers build in, can be used to track down illegal versions.

Going back to the original post :

ebay sale

Is this a con, or simply an out of date version? I've not used any mapping software, but this looks a very good price. Will this version allow my to overlay tracklogs, routes etc?

Funny how this seller is now :

No longer registered with eBay

All 12 regions on one disc - no way, they were originally supplied on 12 cds, each with it's own serial number either per disc or per set of regions. When I bought the whole of the UK it came in 4 boxed sets, so 4 serial numbers.

<<it's not a lot of use without their maps and you have to pay through the nose for them!!>>

Pay through the nose - are you nuts?? MM are selling the "old" V4 maps for around £14. Just count up how many Landranger maps you get for that. Even at the full price of £49 they were a real bargain. Just remember what you can do with MM... It's fantastic programme.

Funny how this seller is now :

No longer registered with eBay

All 12 regions on one disc - no way, they were originally supplied on 12 cds, each with it's own serial number either per disc or per set of regions. When I bought the whole of the UK it came in 4 boxed sets, so 4 serial numbers.

That's not at all supprising really is it :lol:

[The seller, Evo Ditribution, is the official Memory Map distributor. Also, if you check the email link towards the bottom of the page it's to a guy at memory-map.co.uk

So I would suggest it's a legit clearance (trying to get rid of 2004 stock, now V5 is on sale) by Memory-map.co.uk (Evo distribution) and would come with a legit serial number.

You do need the serial number to unlock the facility to import and plot trackroutes also for some of the printing functions you also need a serial upgrade (pro version, if I remember correctly) during which you confirm the serial number supplied with the CDs, which is then replaced by a new serial number.

The serial numbers are supposed to be "locked" to a user and a pc and you may need MM assistance in the event of having to reload the software due to the MM registration process.

There are, as others have commented, ways of getting around the registration process, but if you were do such a thing, and then request support for a problem resolution, from Evo / MM, they would quickly point out to you that you have an illegal version or copy. It's amazing how the combination of cookies, spyware and other "hidden" tricks software suppliers build in, can be used to track down illegal versions.

Thanks for that info. My only concern is it doesn't come with a serial number to unlock the GPS features. I don't mind not being able to upgrade. Problem is, they haven't replied to my message, which makes me wonder if it's numberless or not :lol:

Edited by Dan LXIX

[The seller, Evo Ditribution, is the official Memory Map distributor. Also, if you check the email link towards the bottom of the page it's to a guy at memory-map.co.uk

Thanks for that info. My only concern is it doesn't come with a serial number to unlock the GPS features. I don't mind not being able to upgrade. Problem is, they haven't replied to my message, which makes me wonder if it's numberless or not :lol:

We bought MM Region 6 from EVO last week and it came sealed and with serial number and works perfectly. We agree that this is almost certainly memory map selling off their 2004 version software. Go for it - £15 is a very good price for all those maps (just checked invoice and it came to £17.90 with postage).

We bought MM Region 6 from EVO last week and it came sealed and with serial number and works perfectly. We agree that this is almost certainly memory map selling off their 2004 version software. Go for it - £15 is a very good price for all those maps (just checked invoice and it came to £17.90 with postage).

Thanks. I'm going to get it while the price is good :laughing: