Active Locationless Caches

I know Groundspeak has been working on migrating locationless caches to Waymarking.com recently, but do any of you know of any ones that are stil active?

All Locationless caches have been archived. Existing Virtuals, Webcams, and Earthcaches are allowed to continue although no new ones are accepted. Do to do locationless and new ones of the other types, you gotta go to Waymarking or one of the "other" listing sites.

All Locationless caches have been archived. Existing Virtuals, Webcams, and Earthcaches are allowed to continue although no new ones are accepted. Do to do locationless and new ones of the other types, you gotta go to Waymarking or one of the "other" listing sites.

I have a virt listed at another site simply because geocaching won't allow them any longer. I think it is a real shame - I really don't understand it. :blink:

All listings with the cache type "locationless" were archived, but there were a few locationless listed as virts that slipped through the cracks for a few weeks or so. As they were pointed out, they were changed to locationless and archived. A good example was/is the International Space Station locationless; it was still active a few weeks into January. I remember seeing several bookmark lists of such caches, but I can't find them anymore.

I know Groundspeak has been working on migrating locationless caches to Waymarking.com recently, but do any of you know of any ones that are stil active?

Nope. Your last official chance to log a locationless cache was Dec 31, 2005. All were later archived and locked to prevent logging after they were archived.

All listings with the cache type "locationless" were archived, but there were a few locationless listed as virts that slipped through the cracks for a few weeks or so. As they were pointed out, they were changed to locationless and archived. A good example was/is the International Space Station locationless; it was still active a few weeks into January. I remember seeing several bookmark lists of such caches, but I can't find them anymore.

I am glad to say that this one can still be claimed. I just added this composite as proof that I not only saw the ISS and photographed it but I captured it transiting the moon.

I am glad to say that this one can still be claimed. I just added this composite as proof that I not only saw the ISS and photographed it but I captured it transiting the moon.

Thats weird... :unsure: Did this one got missed? or are locationless back if we don't record where we found it?? :anicute:

Some "virtuals masquerading as locationless" were reviewed by Groundspeak, found to be miscategorized, and then locked as part of the phase-out of locationless caches. Others were reviewed and allowed to remain as-is, under a "grandfathering" theory.

Of course, posting such a cache carries with it the risk that it will be archived, if it was overlooked during the prior review process. There weren't any notes posted saying "this cache has been reviewed and will not be archived because it is grandfathered."

My guess is that it won't be active for long...

What a shame that would be. Maybe it's because it's educational (and unique) that it has yet to become a memory.

Anybody know of any regular caches that require taking a picture as part of the process of getting credit?

Edited by Iowa Tom

What a shame that would be. Maybe it's because it's educational (and unique) that it has yet to become a memory.

Anybody know of any regular caches that require taking a picture as part of the process of getting credit?

A lot of the Virtuals and Earthcaches require pictures for proof.

A lot of the Virtuals and Earthcaches require pictures for proof.

I was thinking of a cache like an ammo box.

There are caches that have those throw-away cameras in them. Problem is, you'll have to read the listing to find out.

As far as regular caches that require a photo, I haven't run into any.

There are caches that have those throw-away cameras in them. Problem is, you'll have to read the listing to find out.

As far as regular caches that require a photo, I haven't run into any.

I actually do know of one. But the vast majority of people ignore the photo requirement, and no logs are ever deleted Enjoy the View

As far as the locationless, I'm surprised no one has mentioned there are over 400 available on another geocaching website. Or are we not allowed to mention that? :laughing:

As far as the locationless, I'm surprised no one has mentioned there are over 400 available on another geocaching website. Or are we not allowed to mention that? :laughing:

Sure! Why wouldn't you be allowed to mention Waymarking? Though I think there are a lot more then 400 there.

I know of an active travelling cache that's listed as a mystery cache.

Off of the top of my head, I know of four.

I own two of them. They are grandfathered in.

They are listed as mystery caches because that is the only category they fit in. They carry very low numbers because they are both very old caches.

GCC6B, the 3,179th cache submitted on this site.

GC105D, the 4,189th cache submitted on this site.

As far as the locationless, I'm surprised no one has mentioned there are over 400 available on another geocaching website. Or are we not allowed to mention that? :D

Sure! Why wouldn't you be allowed to mention Waymarking? Though I think there are a lot more then 400 there.

No, not exactly what I had in mind. :) The place I'm talking about has 458, as of the time I'm typing this. I believe the total that were available on geocaching.com was about 350 before the moratorium was imposed (in early 2003, I believe).