Micros

Just pop into your local photo shop - they will give you a bag full for free.

Now, wash my mouth out with soap as micros are not our favourites. :P

And will I have to wear gloves?? haha...sorry could not resist that after the post I have just read.

Thanks for the info. Going to get Bob to ask while he is in London tomorrow.

Lolly

I got a bag off eBay delivered to the door for less that the Metro fare to the local photo shop, but I think I was lucky.

Can I add to be careful that you do not go overboard placing micros just because you can. My logic is to try and place a good cache and if a micro is all you can manage then use that. I am not anti-micro like many, but I do dislike a cache that has not been thought through. This often happens with micros and I believe it is because there is no significant cost in placing them. I have gone off on a tangent for far to long and will be quite now.

Have you a photo of the 7 cigarette tube SP, sounds interesting, but would like to have an idea what I would be on about before I went into a Army Surplus Store. :(

Here is one that Paul is talking about, its the thing on the right not the big yellow thing :o

See ya...Gary

736f0d92-8fe7-4502-8ac8-50acdc0a7ab3.jpg

Have you a photo of the 7 cigarette tube SP, sounds interesting, but would like to have an idea what I would be on about before I went into a Army Surplus Store. :(

Here is one that Paul is talking about, its the thing on the right not the big yellow thing :o

See ya...Gary

736f0d92-8fe7-4502-8ac8-50acdc0a7ab3.jpg

nice orange (or should I say banana) on the left there... :(

Where can I get the 35 mm film canisters for micros from?

I dont get them anymore since I got my digi camera.

LollyBob

How many do you want?

I have a bucket full here.

Thank you but Bob went and got some today, I think he said there were 52 round ones and 6 oval ones. And all for the grand total of nowt!!

We saw a cigar tube one the other day, forgot where it was but it had a pair of tweezers in it to remove the log book. Was rather neat.

LollyBob

I got a bag off eBay delivered to the door for less that the Metro fare to the local photo shop, but I think I was lucky.

Can I add to be careful that you do not go overboard placing micros just because you can. My logic is to try and place a good cache and if a micro is all you can manage then use that. I am not anti-micro like many, but I do dislike a cache that has not been thought through. This often happens with micros and I believe it is because there is no significant cost in placing them. I have gone off on a tangent for far to long and will be quite now.

I prefer to do normal caches to micros but I thought that it would be another first for us to do. We have done a few micros and I can see why normal caches cannot be placed in some locations, like the green man we did the other day. If we had not done that micro I doubt that we would have ever seen the green man, and would have missed seeing a lovely new piece of art.

We have only placed two caches so we are novices, but I do like to search for a place thats has some type of interest. The Maypole one that we placed was related to the history of the morris dancers, there are lots of people who live close to the location who have no idea it is there.

I just love the way this hobby takes you to places that we never knew were there.

The one big problem with caching is....work gets in the way!!!

I have once used one of those tubes which the doctor invites me to fill before I next come to see him - used as a cache that is before used for its normal purpose! :)

I have an almost infinite supply of those at work - universal containers they're called. I thought they might be a bit breakable, and from experience, they're not particularly watertight/leakproof!

Where can I get the 35 mm film canisters for micros from?

I dont get them anymore since I got my digi camera.

LollyBob

I picked up about 60 in Reading today, think it was Station Cameras.

This was about a third of the quantity he extracted from his cupboard.

No problems no cost, did ask why I wanted them though.

So for anyone near Reading you may be able to get some also.

Regards

Colin

i used to run a photo lab some years ago (before i started caching) and used to get people asking for the empty film pots at least a couple of times a week.

one time i asked a bloke why he wanted them and he told me he wanted to make bombs with them!

reckoned he was a science teacher or something and he was gonna fill them with compressed air - heat them up and watch them explode!

well, i tried it myself using a can of clean air used to blow dust of the negatives - and sure enough those pots did bang!!

in hindsight, i wonder whether he was just a cacher and didnt want to explain about his obsession! :mad:

so, as other posters have said - go to any photo lab, chemist or camera shop and most will be happy to hand over plenty of pots - might be best not to say you're making bombs though!!

Recipe for a Bang (OK, a pop)

Wrap up some bicarbinate of soda in some kitchen towel and wedge/glue it into the lid. Put a little vinegar in the film cannister. Put the top on nice and tight, turn upside down and put it down. If you get the proportions right, a few seconds later, POP!

Edited by rutson

Recipe 2:

fill canister half full of water

drop in half an alka-seltzer tablet

fit lid

stand back

this is a bit less reactive than the vinegar/bi-carb, although I've never tried the vinegar version by wedging it in the lid (always just poured the vinegar in ang put the lid on quickly.

Recipe 2:

fill canister half full of water

drop in half an alka-seltzer tablet

fit lid

stand back

this is a bit less reactive than the vinegar/bi-carb, although I've never tried the vinegar version by wedging it in the lid (always just poured the vinegar in ang put the lid on quickly.

and all this from a question about micros! LOL