Unexpected Finds While Geocaching

Have you ever been Geocahing or just useing you GPS for something when all of a sudden you come across a really awsome rock formation or water fall that you never would have known existed if it weren't for your GPS? Some thing like that happend to my family and me not too long ago while we were backpacking up at North and South lake in upstate New York. We stumbled across this cool little cave while we following my Garmin back to our campsite, and it just made me wonder if anyone else had ever experienced this type of surprise before while useing thier GPS.

-I'd post a picture to go along with this thread but I dont know how lol lol

Some thing like that happend to my family and me not too long ago while we were backpacking up at North and South lake in upstate New York. We stumbled across this cool little cave while we following my Garmin back to our campsite,

Got the coords? I've backpacked in the North/South Lake area dozens of times. Beautiful area.

As far as your original question, it usually happens the other way around. I'm hiking off trail and find a really cool spot. I mark it and go back with a cache, so other people can discover it as well.

53ee5250-66ad-4722-97a7-a41b12066712.jpg

Seeing a hawk eating a pizza on the busiest street in Boston while searching for an urban cache does it for me!

THAT is too cool- :unsure:

That is kewl, but not that odd really.

That is a falcon I think, not a hawk. Not correcting you just showing you :huh:

Some urban areas try to get them to nest within the city on tall buildings

to curb the pigeon problems, falcons love pigeons to munch.

Where I live, we tried implementing them, but the habitat wasn't right.

I remember when I lived downtown, laying on the couch, gazing out the

window, this flock of pigeons was flying past, then BAM a falcon swoops in

and snagged one, feathers everywhere .... I was like :unsure:

VERY cool.

So, I'm guessing the problem of pigeons vs falcon is swaying the other

way where you saw this one, now there are more falcons than pigeons, so the falcon has to look

for other food ... but ... pizza? :unsure:

peregrine%20falcon1.JPG

As to the topic of this thread, there's a cache I can't find near me, and I found a lake that I had never seen before, up in the bluffs where you sure didn't expect to see it. It's stocked with panfish, bass and trout! I'll be fishing it in '06

The coordinates are N 43° 36.803 W 091° 00.642

you can find that in google earth easy enough ( I think ).

I've found many things that I would have never seen if there wasn't a cache there. Things we drive

past every day and glance past sort of thing. Caching makes you stop and smell the roses :unsure:

Geocaching has introduced me to more places that i would not have known than I would care to count. To me, that is the essence of caching.

I even enjoy a film can amongst a bunch of dead branches on the ground, or a breath strip box attached to a sign if it takes me to a place I would otherwise have never known existed.

It is late tonite. I will think about this a little and praps post some pix another day. (Because of one missed photo op that will probably never occur again, I NEVER venture out without my camera!)

Yesterday my 8 year old son and I were out looking for a cache. The quarter mile off a beaten trail kind in muddy SE Michigan. We got within X amount of feet (X was two feet in this case, may be 25 the next), we found a caribeaner and a big clump of fox hair.

We'll put the fox hair inside of a baggie and put it in the next cache for someone to gander at.

I don't carry a camera, I'm still new to this and am trying to find my groove and watch my curious as a cat son in the process.