4th Annual Scottish Cache Bash

I'm sure that further details will appear here soon, but it's probably worth alerting folk to the next Scottish Cache Bash, which will be taking place on the last weekend in May. Marmal has valiantly taken on the task of organising the event, which I am certain will be a great success. The event is likely to be in or around Gifford, about half an hour's drive from Edinburgh.

East Lothian has everything that a caching expedition might need - lovely villages, beautiful coastline, desolate moors, lots of hills and an ancient history. There are already a number of caches in the area (growing by the week recently), and there will be lots more in place for the event. For those of you South of the border, it's only a short drive from the North of England.

For a search of the current local caches, centre on GCT11J.

Edited by Firth of Forth

I'm not too sure if I can make it? :):(

As if!! I'll be there, if Mrs HH lets me out? :)

No mountains, I'm afraid. Just hills. The highest point in East Lothian is 'Meikle Says Law', at 535m. Hmmm....maybe there should be a cache there. ;)

May not be a mountain, but it certainly looks a fair walk, a worthy place for a cache I would say?

Talking of annual cache bashes, the 2007 one will be taking place in the Kirriemuir area and is in the initial stages of planning by several Perthshire/Angus cachers.

I'm looking forward to this already as a previous Bash organiser.

I hope some further details will appear here soon so the Geocaching public can see what is planned. The previous Scottish Cache Bashes have been very well attended by the majority of northern based cachers plus there are usually some cachers who travel from the other end of the country to attend.

If you are coming from afar, sign up with Team Clova soon! It's helpful that the organisers have an idea how many people are coming so they can organise the pub food, quiz, coin exchange and raffle to name just a few of the activities that are usually at these events.

Talking of annual cache bashes, the 2007 one will be taking place in the Kirriemuir area and is in the initial stages of planning by several Perthshire/Angus cachers.

I've only done a couple of caches within the Angus Glens, so this looks like a great opportunity for getting more done next year. My holidays are booked a year in advance (as I would expect a lot of other peoples are nowadays?) so it would be good to know if you are planning on going for what is now the traditional weekend of the end of May?

But that's all over a year ahead, we've got this years to get out of the way first! :anicute:

I've only done a couple of caches within the Angus Glens, so this looks like a great opportunity for getting more done next year. My holidays are booked a year in advance (as I would expect a lot of other peoples are nowadays?) so it would be good to know if you are planning on going for what is now the traditional weekend of the end of May?

Just a thought, but perhaps it could be made to mesh with the annual Angus Glens walking festival (around the start of June I think?) I'm sure there are lots of cachers who are keen walkers too, and the festival normally puts on a selection of guided walks for all abilities.

(Declaration of interest - I've meant to go up for the walking festival for the last 3 years and have never made it, so I'm hoping someone might give me a little extra kick [:anicute:])

After discussing the bash for 2007 at a recent event

Which Event? I must have missed the listing for that??

It was listed - just at rather short notice!

Which was a shame, as I had a half-formed thought that I ought to try to get up to one of the Perth events (assuming Embra residence doesn't disqualify me ;)). Still, these things happen and I'm sure there'll be a "next time".

Anyway, thanks for the update and I'll look out for the new thread.

After discussing the bash for 2007 at a recent event

Which Event? I must have missed the listing for that??

It was listed - just at rather short notice!

Which was a shame, as I had a half-formed thought that I ought to try to get up to one of the Perth events (assuming Embra residence doesn't disqualify me ;)). Still, these things happen and I'm sure there'll be a "next time".

Anyway, thanks for the update and I'll look out for the new thread.

Sorry about that Morton my fault, probably having another one in April, details on Geofrees, living in Embra doesn't disqualify anyone. Even had someone from Dundee at it!

:D

After discussing the bash for 2007 at a recent event the decision was made not to wait until next year instead it will be held later this year and will be known as the Angus cache bash, I will start a new thread for this event shortly.

Mr TC

It's worth noting that another event which may take place this year is likely to be in the Cairngorms, probably in August, carrying on the tradition (my daughter tells me that if you do something twice then it becomes a tradition) of a summer Munro assault.

So, more than enough events to choose from this year in Scotland from a CITO in April, cache bashes, and a SGDO.

After discussing the bash for 2007 at a recent event the decision was made not to wait until next year instead it will be held later this year and will be known as the Angus cache bash, I will start a new thread for this event shortly.

Mr TC

It's worth noting that another event which may take place this year is likely to be in the Cairngorms, probably in August, carrying on the tradition (my daughter tells me that if you do something twice then it becomes a tradition) of a summer Munro assault.

So, more than enough events to choose from this year in Scotland from a CITO in April, cache bashes, and a SGDO.

Count me in for that one...... :mellow:

Does that mean I've got to organise it then?? And put the caches out?

Does that mean I've got to organise it then?? And put the caches out?

Nope. I'll organise it (as I did last year). But I may have to ask you to place the caches.....pretty please! :)

It's time that this was bumped to the top - it was languishing 7 pages down!

It's only a few weeks until this event, so it's time to start planning, booking your accommodation etc. A lot of new caches have been appearing in East Lothian over the last few weeks and there are more to come, as well as some that will be released just in time for the bash.

There is an idea brewing for an event-within-an-event to bag two new caches on the highest hill in East Lothian (don't get too worried as it's only 535 m high and the ascent is around 150m).

And no less than 21 caches put out by marmal for the event plus a paltry 3 from Jack and me. Is 24 caches a record for an event? (Would have been 25 if the Woodland Trust had responded more quickly).

Edit: recount - marmal has set 22 caches!

Edited by Firth of Forth