Cache Idea

nfa

Hi,

I was just thinking about the different search styles that geocachers bring to the table (woods?), and had a thought about a cache hide that has probably been done before, but not in my neck of the woods.

The cache owner hides not 1 container, but several...say 6. If they are all within the reasonable error diameter of both the owner's and the seekers' GPS units, then they should all be found at one time or another.

It would be interesting (I think) to see if people find a stump hide more frequently than a pile of sticks hide or a rock crevice hide, and to compare the results over time...

This wouldn't work if people knew that there were multiple containers at the given coords...so...this friend of mine had an idea...

jamie

I believe I know of two such caches - although in both cases they started out as a micro cache with vague center-of-clearing coords and a single hide. Over time, various "finders" have left a cache behind, claiming a find on it. In one case there are now 3 hides within range of the coords, in the other I believe there are 2. I'll be nearby to the second late March, I'll take a look around. The owner of the now 3 cache hide finds it amusing and I don't know about the other owner.

It would be interesting (I think) to see if people find a stump hide more frequently than a pile of sticks hide or a rock crevice hide, and to compare the results over time...

jamie

Like the old saying "it's going to be in the last place you look". Well of course it is, why would one keep looking after they found it? OTOH, if you want to really hide something, see to it that a second item will be found first, as in, why keep looking?

I've also pondered your idea to get around the "one cache/half mile" rule and without the multiple waypoint deal which some find aggrevating and omit completely. My only solution, for the obsesive/complusive diehards, so far is too hide additional coords, either on the cache page, attached photos or in the cache itself so that further searches would be of a voluntary nature by seekers with greater interests other that just getting a "smilie' from yet another drive by cache.

Another possiblility is that existing caches could evolve by introducing multi layers where these voluntary waypoints could/would be logged with a corresponding photo or secret number, which should be more than enough to generate a desire amongst previous or future finders too revisit a cache.

Maybe I'm trying to hard to please everyone. Maybe this is a monday morning thing. I hope this helps in some abstract way. Hmmm, does this new type of cache need a name? Should TBs or FTF prizes be allowed in these extra hides or are they just bonus attractions?

dutchmaster

sounds like an idea for an evil cache I heard about...

You hide a film container as the cache, and make sure you mention that the container is a film container on the cache page.

then you scatter one or two bottoms and tops of other film containers in and among the area you hide the real cache...like hang the real cache but "drop" pices of conatiner in the fork of the tree, on the ground, behind a bush...etc...etc...when someone finds the top or bottom they might automaticlly think the cache was muggled and stop looking and then log a DNF...

hehehe

:D

You hide a film container as the cache, and make sure you mention that the container is a film container on the cache page.

then you scatter one or two bottoms and tops of other film containers in and among the area you hide the real cache...like hang the real cache but "drop" pices of conatiner in the fork of the tree, on the ground, behind a bush...etc...etc...when someone finds the top or bottom they might automaticlly think the cache was muggled and stop looking and then log a DNF...

hehehe

:D

That is not quite as evil as the one, someone mentioned on here.

They had a 5 gal water bottle (water cooler style) filled with 400

film containers. only 1 was the cache the rest were empty.. :bad::D

Now, that's really evil

I did one once where there were two containers close together (within 30 feet of each other). Depending on which one you found first, you had a traditional cache or a multi.

One was the cache and the other contained coordinates to a second waypoint, which sent you back to that spot telling you to look again.

I found a cache up a very steep hill. There was a little pile of rocks and in it was a "bottle of oxygen." You had to look around a little more to find the actual cache container. That was a fun one. thumbsup.gif

I think the idea is an interesting one . . . however, around here we don't seem to have tree stumps and rocky crevices. Everyone would find the cache hidden in the tree stump.

We use multiple choice for testing wilderness navigation for Search and Rescue. The trainees find a tag on a tree/stump/log with a number. There are usually three tags per station, 100-200 feet apart. When they report the tag number they found, we know if they found the right spot.

hehehe

:lol:

That is not quite as evil as the one, someone mentioned on here.

They had a 5 gal water bottle (water cooler style) filled with 400

film containers. only 1 was the cache the rest were empty.. :(:o

Now, that's really evil

just found one like that in Indiana this weekend.

We loved it!

That's not evil, it's littering.

That's not evil, it's littering.

littering is evil.

anyway, jamie, if you want to keep yur experiment good, you might make it a two parter in which the coordinates for the second part are in the first containers, so the number of signatures in the log are credible.

you could still find some reason to ask for a code word.

and i won't breathe a word of it.