Durham Cito Event

After having my arm twisted by 2 local cachers :grin:

I am going to try to arrange a CITO event for the Durham area, the date we have agreed on will be Sunday April 30th on the afternoon, exact times and places will be given as soon as possible.

We would do the CITO for about 2 hours and then we will have a faith supper, where everyone will bring a little bit of food and drink and put it all in the middle and we would sit down and have a natter and nibble after the event. :lol:

I am going to speak to Derwentside Council tomorrow to see if there are any areas that need cleaning up, and to see if there are any rules or regulations ect we have to follow.

If anyone is interested in this event please let me know. I think we would need at least 12-15 people to make this event feasible.

M :lol:

Edited by Us 4 and Jess
Sorry about that, I couldn’t resist.

One serious question. I notice that the forthcoming Scottish CITO day some instruction is given before hand and safety equipment (well gloves actually, but that sounds boring) is/are supplied. Is this something that will need?

The CITO I have done, all this kit was supplied by the Landowner, as it is within their interest that nothing happens that could lead to litigation due to faulty tools etc. It is wise to get the landowner involved at the earliest possible stage; I once read a newspaper article about someone who was successfully sued by a landowner, because they tidied up part of his land without permission.

2 years ago I tried to sort out the very filthy area where my cache( Gliders view ) was (some may remember ) it was on Tynedale council land, I offered to use my truck to remove the rubbish with the help of a few othersand deposit it at Prudhoe civil amenites site with a ticket from the council, only to be told that the rubbish became the property of the land owner who's land it was dumped on. I was also informed that the organizer of the clean up is liable if anyone get injured during the clean up. cuts etc, etc and thats why they would not allow myself and others to do the work, and they would put council fully insured employees on the case. so I gave up on the idea. I was a bit miffed at the time after trying to do the community a service, so my advice to anyone doing a clear up on someone elses land should check the insurance bit out. A phone call to keep your back safe,

Edited by The Northumbrian
2 years ago I tried to sort out the very filthy area where my cache( Gliders view ) was (some may remember ) it was on Tynedale council land, I offered to use my truck to remove the rubbish with the help of a few othersand deposit it at Prudhoe civil amenites site with a ticket from the council, only to be told that the rubbish became the property of the land owner who's land it was dumped on. I was also informed that the organizer of the clean up is liable if anyone get injured during the clean up. cuts etc, etc and thats why they would not allow myself and others to do the work, and they would put council fully insured employees on the case. so I gave up on the idea. I was a bit miffed at the time after trying to do the community a service, so my advice to anyone doing a clear up on someone elses land should check the insurance bit out. A phone call to keep your back safe,

The landowner would have a vicarious liability for any injuries sustained on his land, whatever the reason that accident happened, sounds more like and insurance issue.

You're totally right, My CITO event is insured by the trusts insurance company. First aid and all cleaning equipment will also be supplied. People will be expected to sign a disclaimer saying that they understood the safety brief, but everyone involved will be insured.

Luckily who I have arranged through, arrange over 30 clean ups per year. So they have everything tied up.

Last years event was great, and hopefully mine and everyone else's will be good too.

2 years ago I tried to sort out the very filthy area where my cache( Gliders view ) was, only to be told that the rubbish became the property of the land owner... and they would put council fully insured employees on the case.

Yes, I remember you trying to arrange that event.

I wonder whether the landowner appreciated the rather attractive bathroom suite? :anibad: I'm also curious whether the council actually did bother to clean the area up. ;)

I can't really understand why people dump such stuff ;) - all you need to do is call the council and they take everything away for free.

It's good that Mandy is trying to do everything right and checking with the council, especially regarding the insurance issue.

alistair_uk Posted on Jan 18 2006, 06:16 PM

Sadly I can’t make the new date, but I hope the turnout is good and it all goes well. 

Sorry Alistair, one man's loss is another man's gain as I'll be able to attend now! :blink:

Looking forward to it and will bring some spare leather gloves.

Not a bump but I'll be bringing at least 10 pairs of gloves with me for those that need them (not that anyone has 20 hands) courtesy of an un-named company which if they were aware of would be no problem but just too much paperwork to get the gloves on the hands.

Any left over will be brought up to the Edinburgh CITO.

That's fab Greg.......thanks very much :D

Just seen something about a CITO coin, as you know i am not a coin person at all, but I would not mind one of those, just because i have organised a CITO in 2006, just a keepsake for ourselves

could you let me have more info about the coin, where to order it and the price ect, or could you order one for me and i will pay you next time i see you

M :D

Edited by Us 4 and Jess