Le Coins, Special Metals, Low Production

Lemon Fresh Dog

Maybe this should be on the whining thread, but hey -- here it is:

What do folks think about coins that are LE, created in special metals, and the like?

Obviously, starting this thread -- I have an opinion. That opinion is that I absolutely hate them.

With personal coins -- whatever is whatever. These are created by individuals and are completely under the direction of that person -- so no frustration on my part there.

Here's where I get bent out of shape. If someone takes on the responsibility of creating a state/province/country coin -- I think that they need to place personal trade desires out of it. Creating a 100 coin run or a "special" metal edition for "members" etc... seems to me, at least, to turn the coin away from being a geocaching item into an exclusive (and non-inclusive) project. I think that if this continues, we end-up doing more harm than good.

So I guess my request (and take that for what it's worth) is that all organizational coins should really be created for the community as a whole, have larger runs, allow more people to get them, and not be poluted by special interests. Rather than creating an edition that sells out, or has special sub-coins in it -- why not design the coin, take orders over a 2-4 week period, have people pre-pay (so no risk to you) and then make 200, 1000, 3000 if need be?

<end rant>

What do people think? BTW- I am creating a coin for each state and province in North America. These coins will be in editions of 25 in three diffenent metals.

Order here (edit: sorry sold out)

I think it is ok for org, state, ect. to make LE for the membership. After all membership has its benefits....

But in reality not just the membership will end up with coins, they can and will be traded for other rare, exclusive coins. So that kinda defeats the purpose of a LE members only coin.

That being said I still think LE, special coins or very rare coins are ok, that is just how it works, not with just geocoins but in everything. Even 'My Little Pony' has special ponies you can only get my collecting the points...

Have you been reading my mind LFD? I know you've been reading my posts :rolleyes:

It seems that many of the recent coin mintings have been just for pure collecting/trading/profit purposes. Even some of the other minters are getting in on that side of it: see how many now will make your coin for free if they can sell the 150-400 coins they didn't give you. BTW, is the design/coin yours or theirs at that point?

I am possibly working with some to make unlimited coins for travelling, and I see that some others have finally caught onto that idea as well. Nothing wrong with having a dozen or more choices for travelling coins, they could even be alternatives to TBs by attaching them to objects.

I fully agree that all this LE stuff is out of hand, as are the non-orginization, non-sig item coins. It really does seem like it has become purely 'about the icons' now, I think the icons are fine, but lets make people find it in a geocache to get it.

BTW, you got my order for 2 of each metal for all of those didn't you :D

I think I'm one of the few posters here that isn't majorly addicted. I do have a small collection, but I ordered the extras for trading for ones I really want.

I really want all the state organizations to put them out (prefer not limited, or quantity ordered based on the demand after giving afew weeks of order time - like MN did) because I would like them as souveniers for caching in that state. I would much rather that such an organization get money from the coins than the individuals making so called state coins.

There is no real reason to do an LE version of a coin except to increase profits if you are selling the coin, or increase trade value if they are for trade only. You've already paid the die costs, so minting a different metal, or different fill color isnt going to run you much more thank about 50 cents per coin more. (If it does, you should consider looking for a different minter.)

With that said, I don't really mind LE coins, but do think it's a bit odd when I see an LE version being sold for 50% more than the standard version when I know it was the same price or a few cents more to manufacture.

--Marky

Maybe this should be on the whining thread, but hey -- here it is:

What do folks think about coins that are LE, created in special metals, and the like?

Obviously, starting this thread -- I have an opinion. That opinion is that I absolutely hate them.

With personal coins -- whatever is whatever. These are created by individuals and are completely under the direction of that person -- so no frustration on my part there.

Here's where I get bent out of shape. If someone takes on the responsibility of creating a state/province/country coin -- I think that they need to place personal trade desires out of it. Creating a 100 coin run or a "special" metal edition for "members" etc... seems to me, at least, to turn the coin away from being a geocaching item into an exclusive (and non-inclusive) project. I think that if this continues, we end-up doing more harm than good.

So I guess my request (and take that for what it's worth) is that all organizational coins should really be created for the community as a whole, have larger runs, allow more people to get them, and not be poluted by special interests. Rather than creating an edition that sells out, or has special sub-coins in it -- why not design the coin, take orders over a 2-4 week period, have people pre-pay (so no risk to you) and then make 200, 1000, 3000 if need be?

<end rant>

What do people think? BTW- I am creating a coin for each state and province in North America. These coins will be in editions of 25 in three diffenent metals.

Order here (edit: sorry sold out)

Ditto.

LEs for such coins make everyone else the "seocnd class". Of course why do the creators make make the LEs?

Could it be to put something in their hands that has some trading leverage? That is not the sort of "payback" that should be sought IMHO.

I am not even sure I like the LEs for personal coins. My personal coin had a an LE of 15 coins. I have only traded 4 of them and most of the others have been given away. If I had to do it over, I would probably not do the LE.

I guess in some ways LE coins are the same as Member Only caches -- except, of course, there is nothing stopping you from becoming a member -- once LE coins are gone -- good luck getting them.

My analogy to the LE coins would come from other areas (such as My Little Pony, Beanie Babies, Comic Books, Sports Cards, etc, etc).

LE objects become very collectible and sought-after. This immediately ensures that they are held in collections. We, in effect, take the geocoins from being cache objects to collectables. -- which I guess most already are.

That's why it's more of a whine I suppose. I would very much like to collect the geocons of each state, organization, country, etc. The scarcity and practices of some organizations pretty much guarantees this is not going to happen.

For example, I would be better off minting my own state seasonals than buying some that are in circulation. In fact, it is tempting to do this as a project. I wonder if I would get any heat for that?

I would log this one under whining.

I see no problem with a LE coin. You don't have to buy EVERY coin made. NEEDING to have every coin and every coin type is a bit dramatic. Nor do you have to make coins for every little thing referencing geocaching.

TNLNSL coin

Thanks for the hunt coin

Phone a Friend coin

Thorns When Bushwacking coin

I like to eat PBn'J When Geocaching Coin...

it is all getting a little ridiculous. I think the whole coin thing, for me, is going to go the same way geaocaching has for me - do what you want, what you're interested in - what you like.

I will only collect coins that I like - I don't need every one - same as I am only going to do caches that I want to do. I'm tired of micros (even though I will probably bag a ton on a run tomorrow - because, that's what I'm in the mood to do).

It's Your hobby - for YOU. Do what makes YOU happy.

I would have to agree with LFD. Possible exceptions would be ones like the Georgia Peach, which was a unique design. Therefore, they have one coin that is widely available, and one that is a different design, LE, geared towards the collectors.

I don't mind when a State or Organizational coin is made with a different metal that is available only to people living in that state, or that are part of that organization. As someone stated already, membership has it's benefits.

Some just seem to put the coins out in different metals to sell more coins though, and that seems a bit silly to me.

I would log this one under whining.

I see no problem with a LE coin. You don't have to buy EVERY coin made. NEEDING to have every coin and every coin type is a bit dramatic. Nor do you have to make coins for every little thing referencing geocaching.

TNLNSL coin

Thanks for the hunt coin

Phone a Friend coin

Thorns When Bushwacking coin

I like to eat PBn'J When Geocaching Coin...

it is all getting a little ridiculous. I think the whole coin thing, for me, is going to go the same way geaocaching has for me - do what you want, what you're interested in - what you like.

I will only collect coins that I like - I don't need every one - same as I am only going to do caches that I want to do. I'm tired of micros (even though I will probably bag a ton on a run tomorrow - because, that's what I'm in the mood to do).

It's Your hobby - for YOU. Do what makes YOU happy.

Well.... you assume I have a choice. You are right, I do not NEED nor should I even WANT every coin out there. However, let's say someone makes a state coin -- I choose "Montana".

I miss the 20minute ordering deadline and I am unaware of the fact there are 50 LE coins in the run made for "locals".

So, I don't get a coin. I'd like one, but I don't get one. I don't have anything to trade for it, so I really don't get one.

That's okay, but it does not represent choice on my behalf. So saying that I can "choose not to buy" or "choose not to collect" is false. I am excluded from the decision-making process.

On a personal coin -- no worries -- none of my beeswax.

On a state coin, I think those making the coin owe more to the community at large. If I live in the state, even moreso, but I think we should give everyone a chance to make the decision to buy or not buy the coin (which LE's and limited runs do not allow)

If, as recourse, I made my own Montana coin -- is that okay?

I think that LE metals are just plain stupid. That being said I'll always try to get the most limited metal when trading/buying, but if I can't then I couldn't care less. It's the same coin no matter how you look at it. I don't own a single coin in multiple metals. When we were making the New York coin there wasn't even any talk about having a limited metal. As far as personals I don't mind if someone has different metals, but when they want me to trade 3 of my coins for 3 of theirs, just because they're different colors I get really put off. I can't understand why anyone would do that.

I don't mind when a State or Organizational coin is made with a different metal that is available only to people living in that state, or that are part of that organization. As someone stated already, membership has it's benefits.

This is what we did for the GBA coins.

We made the LE metals for local members only at 1 per person.

This wasn't done for 'trade bait' - just the opposite in fact. This was to give members something special that others don't - yes. membership does have it's benefits. We did 1 per person to avoid people trading them. I suppose a few might here and there, but those will be the exception.

I don't collect more than one metal of each coin either and USUALLY don't care which version I get (unless one just looks better).

As others have said. You don't have to colelct every metal so them being out there shouldn't affect anything.

Now, as Marky said - minting a few in extra metal and jacking up the price - I don't agree with that at all.

(basically I do what 9key said, just ignore them)

The way I look at it is if its for sale and someone wants me to buy a coin they should should send me a link, or post in the forum or something, and maybe I'll buy one or two. I have little interest in playing games like staying up at night to play beat the clock for a chance to order, or trying to track down someone who has one I'd like to trade, and I have Zero interest in Ebay. I understand why orgs or state coins are done only in blocks of 1000 1500 etc because of the minium orders and price breaks and such. I don't get why some groups have orders of 'special' coins of some small number that sell out instantly... But I just figure they purposely excluded me so I'm not going to worry about it.

The way I look at it is if its for sale and someone wants me to buy a coin they should should send me a link, or post in the forum or something, and maybe I'll buy one or two. I have little interest in playing games like staying up at night to play beat the clock for a chance to order, or trying to track down someone who has one I'd like to trade, and I have Zero interest in Ebay. I understand why orgs or state coins are done only in blocks of 1000 1500 etc because of the minium orders and price breaks and such. I don't get why some groups have orders of 'special' coins of some small number that sell out instantly... But I just figure they purposely excluded me so I'm not going to worry about it.

Not to pick a fight Welch, but how is doing something FOR members purposely excluding you?

When did it become not acceptable to do something nice for people/members/friends, etc. ?

(again, assuming the intention is NOT to create a few LE to jack up trades or sale price?)

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I see no problem with doing a LE FOR MEMBERS (again not for selling an LE at a higher rate). I think membership SHOULD have privledges.

I can see that if we did the GBA chip coin and 'fault line' coins just for members and never made any available for trade, etc. we'd be accused of doing that just to up the trade value. Folks would be upset that there were not more made for people to collect.

Again, I think I'll have to agree to disagree with some of you on this one.

Not to pick a fight Welch, but how is doing something FOR members purposely excluding you?

When did it become not acceptable to do something nice for people/members/friends, etc. ?

(again, assuming the intention is NOT to create a few LE to jack up trades or sale price?)

If you want to make a coin for yourself, do it. If you want to make for yourself and your closest caching family/friends/group , do it. If you want to make a bunch of coins for anyone with the cash, then make a small number just for yourself or your group, don't thats just annoying, and perhaps intentally elitist?

If you choose to make a org or state coin for everyone, then do so. If you do a run of 1000 coins and in sells out in a week? and I want one but don't managed to find the link for paypal or the to-be-billed list (or whatever), then shame on me. But if you do limited production of say 100, knowing it will sell out in a day? then your just teasing me.

If you want to be nice and make a LE for your group, do it. Maybe even make its own dies so it really is truly a special limited production. But please don't advertise this LE coins like its available, because thats just hype. And for me it does nothing, just makes me laugh.

And yes I realize not everyone does things how I would like, I can't change change that. But I can think them silly for it :rolleyes:.

I can see that if we did the GBA chip coin and 'fault line' coins just for members and never made any available for trade, etc. we'd be accused of doing that just to up the trade value. Folks would be upset that there were not more made for people to collect.

Isn't this what happened? I thought the gba chip coins were only offered to gba members?

They were only offered to members, but more than 1 per person so there would be some to trade. We did 1 LE per member so they wouldn't trade.

Some say don't make LEs.

Some say go ahead and make them but don't advertise that they were made.

Some say you have to have full disclosure.

This is sucking all the fun out of this guys. :rolleyes:

I guess the bottom line is you can't please everybody.

We just don't see eye-to-eye on this one.

LE objects become very collectible and sought-after.  This immediately ensures that they are held in collections.  We, in effect, take the geocoins from being cache objects to collectables.  -- which I guess most already are.

That's why it's more of a whine I suppose.  I would very much like to collect the geocons of each state, organization, country, etc.  The scarcity and practices of some organizations pretty much guarantees this is not going to happen.

Welcome to the world of coin trading.

Hey LFD, I know, you have lots of coins ( your own and others ) - why don't you trade them for what you want to get?

Just because some coins have only a small number made doesn't mean that you can't get them, you just have to have a good trade for them.

I think it was way cool of you to do a special 'gift' version to ALL that ordered coins at no extra cost. Nobody was excluded, and like you said, very few will every be traded. They are just special momentos. I totally appreciated it, and I agree, it is just the opposite of minting an LE to make it more tradeable. The same goes for the Christmas Santa Cruz coins you made. :rolleyes:

--Marky

I think folks may be slightly missing my initial rant. I'm only thinking of state and country coins I guess.

If someone makes a state coin, is it fair to limit whom can buy it? Is it fair to limit metals to "comittee" members?

I would do the following:

-- Post the design

-- Give ANYone 2-4 weeks to order as MANY as they wanted (pre-paid)

-- Only have ONE style/metal/etc/etc

-- Mint to the quantity ordered

For organizations, personal coins, etc -- that's up to those organizations/individuals.

Organizatins become a little tricky -- especially those that are loosely formed. I really detest "lords of the organization!" people that feel they deserve special consideration, etc, etc. -- that's a whole other rant/whine.

However, for state and Country coins -- I think LE's are exclusionary. I also think limited mintings and not giving folks the chance to order as many as they want in a set time-frame is a bad thing.

Folks seem to think that this is just a choice I am making -- it isn't. I can't buy certain state coins that I would like -- why? They have been made exclusive by a poor process of order acceptance and by the creation of "chaser" coins.

LE objects become very collectible and sought-after.  This immediately ensures that they are held in collections.  We, in effect, take the geocoins from being cache objects to collectables.  -- which I guess most already are.

That's why it's more of a whine I suppose.  I would very much like to collect the geocons of each state, organization, country, etc.  The scarcity and practices of some organizations pretty much guarantees this is not going to happen.

Welcome to the world of coin trading.

Hey LFD, I know, you have lots of coins ( your own and others ) - why don't you trade them for what you want to get?

Just because some coins have only a small number made doesn't mean that you can't get them, you just have to have a good trade for them.

I'm going to create a Calgary City coin and an Alberta Brass Cap Coin -- edition sizes of 100 each.

There will be 4 metals. What will you trade me for some? :rolleyes:

I too would like to see a variety of unlimited edition coins to be used as travellers. It seems every cache here in the DC area that had a coin placed in it has had the coin stolen from it, with the exception of some more difficult and obscure puzzle caches.

It seems like a balance needs to be reached between coins that are ultra-rare and collectable, and letting coins get too common such that they are found in every cache.

(And just as an aside, are there any gc.com-trackable geocoins out there that I could go to a web page, order today, and have in a week or two to place into a cache? usageocoins.com is between the 2005 and 2006 editions, so no coins available there, are there other virtually unlimited releases I just don't know about?)

1) If stated up front that that's what they are going to do, I'll live with it since I know.

2) An 100 run LE coin from the same mold as the other 2000 is not the same as a coin that only had 100 made.

3) If you make a coin out of bronze and say 'I'm only making 300 of this coin' then later make it out of another metal and call it a different coin, you are dead wrong. It's the same coin, different metal and both are now less collectable than a single run of 300 of a different coin.

4) I don't have an issue with an LE made as a special prize or gift. Case in point. Finders prizes for a cache, Volunteer help at an event and so on. However I do want to know about it if you are selling me the non LE coins to help defray the cost of the LE's.

5) I hate when people charge more for an LE than the extra cost (usually insigficiant) to make it. The value of the LE isn't the cost of production.

Where I don't like LE's is when they are made for no particularly good reason. For example: I threw out the idea of a 2006 Idaho coin that would have a different picure for each region, plus 3 different metals giving something like 18 variations. At the time I thought it might be interesting. Now I just think it would mostly drive people nuts. You all should be happy that idea did not go anywhere.

I'm going to create a Calgary City coin and an Alberta Brass Cap Coin -- edition sizes of 100 each.

There will be 4 metals.  What will you trade me for some?  :D

Sorry nothing, I can get a brass cap anytime I want!

Wait a minute ... a brass cap in 4 different metals ... what's wroing with THIS picture! :rolleyes:

I think folks may be slightly missing my initial rant. I'm only thinking of state and country coins I guess.

If someone makes a state coin, is it fair to limit whom can buy it? Is it fair to limit metals to "comittee" members?...

In all honesty I'm still not sure what I think about state and organization coins when it comes to LE coins.

These are the coins that have the best chance of seeing the inside of a cache. They usually make enough to keep some $ for the organization and still be cheaper than the average for profit personal coin. They are the ones most likley to be found, the ones most likely to start a collection.

I don't think the people who run the organization should make LE's for themselves and regulars for everone else. LE for members and REgular for everone else, maybe thats fair.

I also don't think an individual should make the coin for a state then play the LE games. They should just be thankful that their coin is the one people have accepted as the 'official' state coin instead of My state series which will come in more metals and less numbers than even Lemon Fresh Dogs. :rolleyes:

Exactly. And from a collecting perspective this is the norm. I don't have any problem with it. And there are some coins I'll just never own. I'm ok with that.

I think this discussion really boils down to those that think their should be unlimited amounts of coins for caches and so that no one ever needs/wants any they might have to work at a little bit to aquire. And those that treat geocoins just like any other collecting hobby and enjoy the variations, limiteds and HTF nature of collecting an item.

No one is right or wrong here.

Alright..., I don't know if I want to post this after reading all the above posts, but here we go... We are in the process (final art stage) of producing a MS Geocoin, we are going to produce and sell 700 reg edition, 150 limited edition (different metal) and then 150 "members only" (again, different metal). What the members will do with their "members only" coin once they buy them are up to them, I assume some will be traded to cachers all over, who knows? The limited editions will not cost any more than the regular edition, just limited because of the # produced. We will be stating up front the #'s sold, so... thoughts?

If someone makes a state coin, is it fair to limit whom can buy it? Is it fair to limit metals to "comittee" members?

I would do the following:

-- Post the design

-- Give ANYone 2-4 weeks to order as MANY as they wanted (pre-paid)

-- Only have ONE style/metal/etc/etc

-- Mint to the quantity ordered

For organizations, personal coins, etc -- that's up to those organizations/individuals.

Organizatins become a little tricky -- especially those that are loosely formed. I really detest "lords of the organization!" people that feel they deserve special consideration, etc, etc. -- that's a whole other rant/whine.

However, for state and Country coins -- I think LE's are exclusionary. I also think limited mintings and not giving folks the chance to order as many as they want in a set time-frame is a bad thing.

Folks seem to think that this is just a choice I am making -- it isn't. I can't buy certain state coins that I would like -- why? They have been made exclusive by a poor process of order acceptance and by the creation of "chaser" coins.

The WI coin was basically handled in this fashion. Orders were 1st taken for those who lived in the state. Then orders were taken for the rest. The ordering period was something like 3 weeks. And only 1 type coin was made.

I would have to agree that if a state org is going to make a coin they should allow ALL geocachers ample time to learn about the sale and make the sale available.

I too would like to see a variety of unlimited edition coins to be used as travellers. It seems every cache here in the DC area that had a coin placed in it has had the coin stolen from it, with the exception of some more difficult and obscure puzzle caches.

It seems like a balance needs to be reached between coins that are ultra-rare and collectable, and letting coins get too common such that they are found in every cache.

(And just as an aside, are there any gc.com-trackable geocoins out there that I could go to a web page, order today, and have in a week or two to place into a cache? usageocoins.com is between the 2005 and 2006 editions, so no coins available there, are there other virtually unlimited releases I just don't know about?)

I believe there will soon be at least afew unlimited edition coins soon. I have a couple designs I am working on getting out there as unlimited.

I had been thinking about doing that for a couple months, before the steal this threads, and before there were quite so many coins. I really want them to be affordable for people, just like the TB tags are. I've even thought about having them with a hole already there for attaching them like TBs.

I think there are some at "geoswag" that may be available for immediate delivery here in the US. I think the Germany coins are unlimited and available for shipment, not sure on delivery time frame, I got mine with my WOG#1 just the other day.

I'm glad that there are others out there that want geocoins to travel and not just sit in collections.

Thanks LFD for being outspoken about the lack of travelling geocoins as well. It is nice to have someone so well known here wanting that as well.

Alright..., I don't know if I want to post this after reading all the above posts, but here we go... We are in the process (final art stage) of producing a MS Geocoin, we are going to produce and sell 700 reg edition, 150 limited edition (different metal) and then 150 "members only" (again, different metal). What the members will do with their "members only" coin once they buy them are up to them, I assume some will be traded to cachers all over, who knows? The limited editions will not cost any more than the regular edition, just limited because of the # produced. We will be stating up front the #'s sold, so... thoughts?

Since you aren't in the production mode yet, why limit the number of 'regular' coins? Why not do like WI and MN did, take orders for a week or more? I don't believe that tracking numbers need to be purchased in 1000 counts, it only says for orgs that it is a 1000 number min. WI did something like 1450 I was told. (might have been 1500 to cover mistake coins)

Since you aren't in the production mode yet, why limit the number of 'regular' coins? Why not do like WI and MN did, take orders for a week or more? I don't believe that tracking numbers need to be purchased in 1000 counts, it only says for orgs that it is a 1000 number min. WI did something like 1450 I was told. (might have been 1500 to cover mistake coins)

Since reading some of these posts, I have sent an e-mail to producer asking about unlimited # of regular editions. Thanks

Thanks for posting! It's a good example and I appreciate it.

This is the sort of thing I am "whining" about! :D

Please take this the right way -- as a discussion topic. I know how hard creating a coin edition is and respect your decisions -- even if I disagree. :rolleyes:

My quesiton is: what criteria are you using to decide who gets the LE coin? If I were to live in Mississippi I would be rather perturbed if I was excluded from getting one of the "special" coins. I see almost any selection criteria as unfair to all but the 150. I suspect there are more than 150 Geocachers in Mississippi that, given the chance, would like that coin.

As someone that really enjoys collecting geocoins from states and countries -- you are basically creating a coin that will be very difficult for me to acquire (if at all) and creating a certain scarcity. 750 of a state coin is not that much -- let alone the 150 LE coins.

What difference would it make if you instead, opened up the order in advance and allowed folks from all over the world to order and pre-pay for coins? You would have even less financial risk and could concievably even get into a higher price break.

This would, of course, make your coins less scarce. It would also make them less tradable (at least initially). It would however get them into the hands of more people.

If I wanted to "compete" with your coin and make my own Mississippi coin -- would I be able to? Would I be allowed a custom icon for tracking?

Personally, I would absolutely support any inititive in which Groundspeak licenced the use of their state icons

they may bawk at unlimited, but maybe not a 1000 first run, then 500 or 1000 for another run.

Not sure if GC would let you get only 500 for the second run, might run it by them - there is an e-mail address in the policy message pinned at the top of the forum.

but you could post the final artwork and then take preorders for the regular edition. I like how southbayday is doing the LEs... mixing them into the regular orders, no one gets to order it but you might get one (unless you specify you don't want one)

they may bawk at unlimited, but maybe not a 1000 first run, then 500 or 1000 for another run. 

Not sure if GC would let you get only 500 for the second run, might run it by them - there is an e-mail address in the policy message pinned at the top of the forum.

but you could post the final artwork and then take preorders for the regular edition.  I like how southbayday is doing the LEs... mixing them into the regular orders, no one gets to order it but you might get one (unless you specify you don't want one)

Thats is something I haven't thought of......I kind of like that. (southbays idea, that is)

Edited by tdecell

I don't know about that discussion.

As with LFD I don't care what individuals do with their personal coins. (I also don't care what type of cache someone places)

But I thought one of purposes of the state org coins was to generate awareness of the organization, and maybe get a little money to fund other org projects. By not limiting the coin quantities ahead of time they can get more $ and more awareness of the org, especially if the coins actually get placed into caches and travel.

Thats is something I haven't thought of......I kind of like that. (southbays idea, that is)

From the info for one of those coins (not posting the link since that would be against the forum rules of posting outside selling info)

Total Minting:  Maximum of 900 depending on demand

Number To Be Sold:      75 less than the total minting

(The balance will be for trade and travel)

Limited Edition: There will be 60-80 limited edition coins produced.  They will not be sold separately. 30-60  will be randomly mixed in the sold coins.  The others will be kept for trade or travel in the wild.

Just got an email back from the coin producer, we can order more at any time, from 1-2 coins and up, n/c for artwork or dies, so regular edition could actually be unlimited #'s. Do y'all think there is demand for 1000 reg + 150 l/e or should we stick with however many regular we need to satisfy demand + 250-300 l/e or more.....

Just got an email back from the coin producer, we can order more at any time, from 1-2 coins and up, n/c for artwork or dies, so regular edition could actually be unlimited #'s. Do y'all think there is demand for 1000 reg + 150 l/e or should we stick with however many regular we need to satisfy demand + 250-300 l/e or more.....

I think you'll have no trouble at all selling 1000 coins or 200 LE (or whatever number of those you decide on). Your best bet is to pick a reasonable amount to initially produce and then have a waiting list for a reorder of regular. If you're producing an LE, don't plan on making any more of those after your initial amount sells. Otherwise it's not an LE.

Coin makers: Make whatever coins you want, in whatever quantity, in whatever metal you want.

Coin buyers: Buy whatever coins you want, in whatever quantity, in whatever metal you want.

There, that takes care of the problem.

Amen!

That's the end of it ... right? :D

Edited by nicolo