How Do You Approach Geocaching?

In recent thread, Jeremy called the waaaambulance on people who need parking coordinates. BEING one of those people, I found it hilarious, and not at all offensive, so let's not get into that.

That thread did get me thinking, though. When some of the original people started playing, they had old GPS units, probably without maps and with dramatically lower accuracy (two decimal digits, not three), etc. etc. When a coordinate was posted for them, the only way to find the cache was to check out all the available resources and go a-hunting. These things would be road maps, paper topo maps, etc.

Fast forward a few years later, and a wanna-be hiking enthusiast bought a GPSr in hopes of planning some hikes and making trail maps, etc. etc. For him, the thrill in geocaching is not the chase or the hunt, but rather the finding of new places to visit, and wonderful places to hike, not getting to the trailhead. That would be me, of course.

Geocaching has certainly done all that, and more for me. But I realized that what was important to me is not what might have been important to the first few geocachers. The game has evolved (for a number of reasons), but even still, there are many (dare I say it) paradigms*, even if the general enjoyment seems to be the same (sights, smells, etc.).

So, my question to you fellow cachers, is this: What is geocaching yo you, whatis your approach or thinking behind WHY you geocache?

*my sincere and utmost apologies for using a BS Bingo term.

Edited by New England n00b

Geocaching became the hobby that Dean and I were most focused on. There hasn't been a day in years when we haven't done something associated with it, even if we just talked about caching. It is a large part of our life, and we can't imagine what the last few years would have been like if it wasn't for geocaching.

We haven't changed our methods or manner much at all since we started. I'm still in it for the neat places it takes me. And I love placing caches that bring people to neat places. Or educate them about something I love.

-J

Gee!

I think that so far this has become a treasure hunt, not just for the cache items (those are for the kids that tag along with me...they will also earn allowance to go to the dollar store and pick up some cool trades...) but for me to see how far people's imaginations will go to place a cache. The historic value, the new scenery, places I live by and have never visited! And this is all right around my home town. I can't wait to travel a little off my regular route and find some more that are remote or whatever...I would LOVE to meet some people locally who like to do this (Badge and Butterfly invite was really cool, just a little too far away!) and go together also.

It's almost like having a penpal...kindof... :lol:

Sometimes I go really, really, really prepared!

Sometimes I plan it a little. It does help. Maps are fun! And I do like parking coords if it's not obvious.

Sometimes I just wing it and a half mile or mile later I realize we passed it, let's just get the next one up the road.

Edited by Planet

For the longest time, I entered all the coords manually, and either printed out cache sheets or jotted down notes in a notebook and off I went. This worked well, expecially since I'd plan ahead and go out caching.

After moving to Texas, I discovered that there is often a tom of caches all around, so I'd be passing them up left and right while going about my daily business. Thats when I went paperless, and started using Plucker and GSAK to load all the cache info into my Plam IIC and my GPSr.

Of course, not long after starting that my old Palm is gicing up the ghost (rechargable batteries no longer hold a charge) and I broke the screen on my GPSr. I can still see enough on it to see what coords I'm at, so its still usable.

Now I'm back to my old style. Yea, I could repair both units, but I'm waiting to see what Santa brings me first :lol:

Over all, I'd say the best caching I've done is the days where I've planned ahead, printed out multiple caches and consulted maps to figure out the best route to go.

I cache because I can. I cache for fun. I cache because if I weren’t caching I'd be walking in the woods past the cache sites anyway. I like to do FTFs when I can. Numbers are a good way of tracking my progress, but not the be all to end all that some would have you believe. I also love the puzzles because of the mental challenge. My favorite part is now placing caches. I like to be creative and see who appreciates the effort.

I cache because I can.

Loch Cache

It's a cheap hobby and I just like to go out and find ammo cans with swag in them, occasionally (but not always) with a decent view or interesting hike along the way. I don't mind having parking coordinates (and I'll use them if offered) but they're not absolutely necessary. I can usually figure out how to get there with my 60cs autonavigating over roads, or by using google maps if not.

I like to find a creative hide every once in awhile. Hide me a fake bird bungee-corded to a tupperware under a bridge, hide me a small cache in a pair of sneakers hanging from a high tree branch, or hide me a capsule the size of a grain of rice in a place that a cacher would find it quickly, but a muggler would never know. Just don't be cruel.

When I started, a little under 3 years ago, I viewed geocaching as having two parts. The 'geo' part was the adventure of figuring out how to get to some location that you only had coordinates for. Do I park a the closest available spot or is there a better place to begin walking from? Once on the trail, where should I leave the trail and begin going cross country? It was this part that I like the best. The other part was the 'caching' part - once I get close, I put down the GPSr and begin looking for where the cache is hidden. It was clear that for some people, this was their favorite part and they would just as soon be plunked down at ground zero so they could begin searching. With urban caches, the 'geo' part is less important. I will still sometimes just put the coordinates into my yellow Magellan Meridian GPS with its not very detailed base map and drive around trying to figure out how to get into the mall parking lot :lol: - just to have a 'geo' experience. I have no objection to someone suggesting parking coordinates or which trailhead to use for a hiking cache. On a long hike you will still need to determine which way to go at trail junctions and when to leave the trail to find the cache.

Seems to me that if you like to do it "the old fashioned" way, it's a simple matter of ignoring any parking coordinates, etc., that are given. While I wouldn't say I expect to be "dropped at ground zero" like tozainamboku mentions, I also have limited time for caching and would rather spend the time on a nice trail than driving around looking for parking.

I would add that in some places, posting things like parking coordinates is essential because it may not be clear that other parking alternatives are illegal or otherwise ill-advised.

If the cache owner thinks the hunt for parking or trail access is worthy of being part of the hunt, they are certainly free to omit any and all parking/access information.

So, depending on how much time I have on a given day, something like parking info may or may not be useful to me. If I have limited time, I'll probably pass up a cache that has no access info and has no obvious point of access -- but that doesn't mean I won't come back on other day when I have more time.

They why has never changed. Because it's there. If it wasn't there why bother?

That may seem silly but the adventure is getting to and finding the cache. That adventure can vary all over the board. From a puzzle to a hike, to repeat trips, to about dying of thirst, to finding a rattlesnake. If I get tired of approaching the cache from the left, I'll tackle it from the right. If caching with liberals gets old I'll hang with some conservatives. When I get tired of the cache being there to find and that does nothing for me anymore I'll give it up.

So, my question to you fellow cachers, is this: What is geocaching yo you, whatis your approach or thinking behind WHY you geocache?

Its an adventure.

Because its something to do, and its fun finding new places and sights.

For some people I realize trying to figure out how to get isn't isn't fun, but thats sorta how it works IMO. You get a waypoint and go and find it. Having autorouting and maps on the gps helps, but you still have to LOOK at the map. If there's a tiny park with one enterance buried in a bizzare maze or the cache is on a trail running threw private land with the trail head far away, then yes a parking coord is helpful. Otherwise if you need specific directions for every cache, you should check out [mapping service of your choice], its what they're for.

Adventure. Exercise. Meeting new people. Get to buy cool gadgetry.

I think that people who don't put parking coordinates on caches just don't understand that I like to hike, not drive around, frustrated, trying to find a place to park. No parking coordinates = a lot less fun. It's flippin' dangerous to drive around a strange area, looking around for parking spot when you SHOULD be looking at the road.

But then this thread isn't about that, now is it? :lol:

Adventure. Exercise. Meeting new people. Get to buy cool gadgetry.

I think that people who don't put parking coordinates on caches just don't understand that I like to hike, not drive around, frustrated, trying to find a place to park. No parking coordinates = a lot less fun. It's flippin' dangerous to drive around a strange area, looking around for parking spot when you SHOULD be looking at the road.

But then this thread isn't about that, now is it? :lol:

Well, it kinda sorta is, but more than just that. I never really gave a thought to how geocaching USED to be done (because there was only one way to do it), so the first few guys approached it in a completely different manner, and it was a great time for them.

Me, I came in late to the game, but not with the same focus or direction. Is one right, and the other wrong? Depends on who is doing the caching.

I am intrigued by this for some reason. I guess it never really struck me that caching was any different than my admittedly spoiled experience. Don't get me wrong, for the geocachign is the woods, not the drive. But for others there is more. I created this thread to see what 'more' I might be missing by listening to other caching 'vectors', so to speak.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies so far.

Edited by New England n00b

I used to cache because I had nothing better to do.

I still cache when I have nothing better to do, but it's taken a back seat to many other interests lately. It's fun, but I don't consider myself too gung-ho about it these days.

I find I enjoy caching much more that way, because I'm consciously a lot more picky now. So for me, I approach it as an occasional treat, and things seem to work out nicely that way.

My approach is, and always has been, to have fun. If I am not having fun caching, then I'm not going to do it. Of course, the definition of fun can vary from day to day. Some days, planning to do just one cache , checking maps, etc. and finally hiking to the cache is all part of the fun. Other days, doing two or three micros at lunch time can be fun. And there are days that caching doesn't appeal to me at all, so I do other things that are fun at that time.

In recent thread, Jeremy called the waaaambulance on people who need parking coordinates.

Really? Hah, That must have been funny...too bad the search isn't working, I can't believe anybody would be actually crying over parking coordinates. Isn't finding parking part of the fun?

I guess my approach could be described as "focused". Once I set out for a cache, I'm pretty determined to find it. Finding the cache is like closing a deal. I'm not going to turn back or give up just because I don't have coordinates to the nearest parking.

When the distance to the cache starts increasing on my GPS instead of decreasing, it's time to look for parking, any parking will do. Sometimes I'll park a little farther if the walk is too short. If I miss parking in the "preferred spot", that's ok, I'm still going to focus on finding the cache. It's cheaper to walk than to circle around looking for a sweet parking spot.

In recent thread, Jeremy called the waaaambulance on people who need parking coordinates. BEING one of those people, I found it hilarious, and not at all offensive, so let's not get into that.

I think parking coords can be useful. Consider these possibilities:

* parking over HERE is safer/better/whatever. Parking of THERE may not be, for whatever reason.

In the past, I put out two caches that were very easy when approached from one direction, and difficult from all others. I put a parking tip in the encrypted hint in case someone wanted to use it.

* parking here and then walking to the cache might be favorable from a "note the huge squirrel family on the left!" POV. In this sense the parking spot is not completely unlike the first stage of a multi. (apologies to D.Adams).

I do like the wandering aspect of having a GPS. NonGPS people probably think that having coords to something dictates one's path and navigation. For me it is the opposite; knowing exactly where a thing is frees me up to take unknown and fun-looking routes.

I just love to hunt for caches. It gets me outdoors and into some very interesting places! The guardrails and parking lots notwithstanding, many caches offer tremendous hikes, views, or just some additional knowledge. I love the puzzles, but I don't like having to come back later because I couldn't find it the first time. I enjoy caching--it's relaxing and fun!

And now I've discovered benchmarks--they are interesting as well, but in a different way. In bridges, buildings, or a farmer's field--I always look forward to finding them.

Geocaching has changed my life. I love the challenge and the exercise and all the new places I have seen. Caches like this one and this one provided me with adventures I will never forget -- adventures I never would have embarked upon without that little arrow on the GPSr telling me there was a cache up ahead. :lol:

In recent thread, Jeremy called the waaaambulance on people who need parking coordinates.

Really? Hah, That must have been funny...too bad the search isn't working, I can't believe anybody would be actually crying over parking coordinates. Isn't finding parking part of the fun?

. . .

The discussion about parking coordinates started here. And this is where Jeremy called the Whaaaambulance . . .

........_______@@_.

-.-..../ =<>= /__?_\____

--.-..|==Whaaaambulance-@

-.--.-.`--(@)======(@)=||

Regarding parking coordinates . . .

I guess it depends on where you are caching, but we spent a few hours on two separate days trying to find the access to a Forest Service Road in a tangle of roads and driveways on a boulder-strewn mountain last week. This map doesn't come close to showing the complexity of the search . . . :rolleyes:

1c2c1704-3197-40ec-8787-2bb9de8b1690.jpg

Ninety-five percent of the time, I don't need parking or trailhead coordinates, but when the access is especially difficult, like finding the trail to a canyon surrounded by houses, I really appreciate them.

Driving up and down unfamiliar roads or streets in a suburban neighborhood past barking dogs and curious residents is not part of the fun for me . . . Getting out of my car and walking is the fun part . . . :D

Team King or the Hill still likes the old fashioned way (sort of). For the most part we hand enter our coords and print out cache sheets. We use maps and always carry a compass. However we have been known to have the laptop fired up in the vehicle and use a navigational software to travel between cache locations. Once parked we revert to more traditional methods and enjoy the hike and scenery. The camaraderie is a big part of it.