Wichita Geocaching Society

Hugh Jazz

I've slapped together some artwork for a geocoin series and wanted to gage interest before committing the artwork to be minted. The artwork is still preliminary and subject to change.

I've been ruminating on an idea for a series of coins highlighting some of the really cool things about Wichita Kansas, the Largest City in Kansas (yes go ahead, look it up, I'll wait here. When you get back I won't make you feel stupid for not knowing this, I was surprised when I first heard it too). Yes we have much more than wheat, sunflowers, and tornadoes. Really. And much of what's great about Wichita (though not all) has been documented through the magic that was once known as "Virtual caches."

Each coin will be 3D engraved, with raised letters, and large size, 2" or so. Exact same front die for each series to save on costs and to tie the series together.

Back of each coin will be different for each series.

Each series will feature a different Wichita Virtual Cache. Hence the name, "Wichita Virtuals Series." These are not the 'evil' (and now banned) virtual geocoins you've read about, but rather geocoins which feature virtual caches.

First series will feature the Allen Lambe house, a Frank Lloyd Wright house designed in 1915 and currently serving as a FLW museum.

wichitageocachingsocietybothsm.jpg

Second series will feature the Corbin Education Center, another Frank Lloyd Wright building from 1957. (That's "Wright," architecture fans, Wichita has not one but TWO Frank Lloyd Wright buildings.)

Third and subsequent series is To Be Determined, but there are many likely candidates from Virtual caches past and present. Oh and fear not, no virtual cache spoilers will be visible in the artwork or on the coin itself.

I'd expect to do a run of 200 or 300 each, depending on demand. These would be serial numbered but not trackable. Likely to be done in two metals (one a LE metal of say 50 coins) with an antique finish, no paint.

Any interest?

Edited by Hugh Jazz

I like the idea and I'd be interested in a series showing Wright's designs, just not sure about the particular image you show here. The actual house seems mostly obscured by the planter(?) on the right.

Falling Water and Kentuck Knob are within an hour or so of where I live. Wright has been one of my favorite architects for a looooong time. A lot of the patterns he designed would make nice coins also.

hmmm ... maybe I should ... :o

Edited by ScoutingWV

Lets see there was the Kansas coin (really the KSWader coin), then the real Kansas coin and now not just one but a series from Wichita Kansas. Seems like way too much for me. At most there should be one coin.

If you made a trackable coin with its own icon than I would be interested. I think there is getting to be too many coins being issued. (and this comming from one member of the team that gave you the Delaware coin) At some point people will be very selective to what they spend money on. I'm real partial to state coins done by the state geocaching organization, but others may be more intereted in personal coins.

Interesting concept, but I'd pass as well. I already have the KSWader and am expecting the "official" Kansas coins. I too have become selective about which coins I should trade for and/or buy. At some point, more and more people are going to become selective about coins they buy, and the one selling the coin's going to get stuck with a bunch of coins they can't sell.

I feel the same as Mauison in that I feel the need to be more selective and not have to buy into all the coins coming out. I do go more for the ones that really appeal to me and especially if it's a personal coin that still ties into what brought us here to begin with, caching. This one just doesn't seem to be either.

Since I was born not only in Kansas, but in Wichita (at Wesley hospital), you bet I'm interested.

I'd like to ask for one of each metal. I don't ususally chase metals, but this is where I'm from.

Ladycacher, you getting in on this?

I would interested also since I was raised in Wichita.

I'm with the others. A Wichita Geocaching Society coin would interest me, but not a series of them. If there is a series I think I'd just get the first one that was convenient.

From a collector's point of view, a single coin that somehow tied in all of the local virtuals (a map or diagram, maybe a URL to a list of them all) would be interesting. But don't let what the collectors want interfere with what you really want to do, unless you're depending on them to help finance the project.

YES! I want one or two of each.

I don't recall the buildings though being born and raised there for 21 years. What street is it on? Probably one of those places I took for granite and never gave 2 thoughts about until now that I haven't lived there for 17 years but do go home about every 4-5 years.

YES! I want one or two of each.

I don't recall the buildings though being born and raised there for 21 years. What street is it on? Probably one of those places I took for granite and never gave 2 thoughts about until now that I haven't lived there for 17 years but do go home about every 4-5 years.

The Allen Lambe house is at Roosevelt and 2nd in College Hill. The Corbin center is on the north side of the WSU campus. We live just a couple blocks from the Allen-Lambe house. It's one of our favorite places to take outta-town visitors. They hold tours there by appointment, but you can log the virtual (while virtuals exist) without paying for the tour.

YES!  I want one or two of each.

I don't recall the buildings though being born and raised there for 21 years.  What street is it on?  Probably one of those places I took for granite and never gave 2 thoughts about until now that I haven't lived there for 17 years but do go home about every 4-5 years.

The Allen Lambe house is at Roosevelt and 2nd in College Hill. The Corbin center is on the north side of the WSU campus. We live just a couple blocks from the Allen-Lambe house. It's one of our favorite places to take outta-town visitors. They hold tours there by appointment, but you can log the virtual (while virtuals exist) without paying for the tour.

Where is the tour at?