Lessons From The 2006 Georgia

WWC-World's Worst Cacher

On E-bay last night two auctions ended:

2006 Georgia Peach LE $51.01 330 made

2006 Georgia Stone Mountain $58.50 1,000 made

Lessons learned:

1. A lower issuance does not necessarily = higher value

2. The look of the coin is more important the the number issued. (Not meaning to cast stones at anyone, but while the peach is unique for the shape, it is rather plain. The Stone Mountain is, in my opinion, a much prettier coin.)

3. The marketplace tells the truth.

My Prediction:

The future coins will go for a lower price.

:rolleyes:

Some coins that went for 60-100.00 are not selling for over 20 now. THey are coming down. It is a demand thing on the new coins, people want then NOW instead of waiting. I think the only coin that will continue to stay steady or go up in price will be the MIGO seasons. Edit- Also the Moun10Bike coin, if another one was ever sold.

Edited by Ladycacher & Boys

2006 Georgia Peach LE  $51.01  330 made

2006 Georgia Stone Mountain $58.50  1,000 made

Lessons learned:

1.  A lower issuance does not necessarily = higher value

2.  The look of the coin is more important the the number issued.  (Not meaning to cast stones at anyone, but while the peach is unique for the shape, it is rather plain.  The Stone Mountain is, in my opinion, a much prettier coin.)

3.  The marketplace tells the truth.

My Prediction:

:(

I do not know that I would jump to that conclusion.

Look at the sheer number of coins available right now. Trust me, you would not want my credit card bill right now which is dominated by geocoin purchases. I sould suggest that:

1. Collectors have more coins to choose from

2. Collectors are becomming smarter about the secondary coin market

3. Collectors are broke from purchasing all the new issues and do not have the money to pay big $ on ebay.

My ultimate conclusion is however, the same:

Edited by Rupert2

I would think that the market will slow a bit during this holiday season. Some will buy as gifts for others but the closer to the middle of the moth we might see a lower price for some. But them those with a bit more disposable income could get "bargins" so to speak.

I wonder if I should sell some of these on e-bay? :(

No I guess I had beter keep mailing them out! :)

f007d061-a48d-435f-aec0-a6634ba00d59.jpg

BTW those coins on Ebay are not my account!

Two transactions are not enough to draw that kind of conclusion. I've seen two of the very same coin sell hours apart with a bigger spread than that. I was running spread sheet for a while be it just became too much work. You need to look at multiple transactions over time. I think the following generalization can be made.

Coins have a higher value if...

Trackable with an icon vs no icon

Limited vs high number minting

Distributed by a means other than sales vs sold at the click of a Paypal acount

Just hit the market vs been out for a while

Rare vs common

2006 Georgia Peach LE  $51.01  330 made

2006 Georgia Stone Mountain $58.50  1,000 made

Lessons learned:

1.  A lower issuance does not necessarily = higher value

2.  The look of the coin is more important the the number issued.  (Not meaning to cast stones at anyone, but while the peach is unique for the shape, it is rather plain.  The Stone Mountain is, in my opinion, a much prettier coin.)

3.  The marketplace tells the truth.

My Prediction:

:(

That's an interesting observation because I thought just the opposite; the Stone Mountain coin is a nice design, but very similar to many others. While the Peach is such a different design it begs for attention. Although I haven't held them together, I think the peach will be an outstanding coin and will be a premium trade coin.

I also wouldn't judge demand based on one auction. The only person who knows why the coins sold for what they did is the person who bought them. I feel, on average, the peach will end up selling higher than the SM. Wait until 6 or 8 of each have been sold.

I also think coin prices will go down. I'd like gasoline prices to drop also, but that's not likely either. As long as the demand is there and people are more willing to buy rather than trade, prices will stay right where they are - higher than they should be. Although if I were any good at predicting human nature, I'd be rich in the stock market. :)

Another observation:

New Jersey Coins took several weeks to sell 1000

Georgia and Ontario took sevral hours to sell 1000

Hopefully that says something about the current popularity of geocoins, not the unpopularity of New Jersey

It's also the difference in the type of sales. New Jersey and many others took a more relaxed "here's our coin, ordering will close in xx amount of time" approach. Georgia and others did the "here's our coin, we're making xx amount, don't miss out" approach. They both get you to where you want to go - selling a desirable coin edition to our fellow cachers to enjoy. I think I would enjoy a more laid back approach on our next coin edition :(

Just my 2 cents :)

T1

In the current market, a desire for new "unique" icons is fueling a great deal lot of the buying frenzy for many of the State/Regional coins...

It remains to be seen what happens a year from now, when these groups bring out new coins, that use these same icons that everyone already has by then.... we may see a great swing in the market...

The Georgia coin sold for a high price on ebay before most people have them in hand. Once the coins are sent out, and more people put them on ebay, the price will drop.

Same thing with the San Diego Geocoin:

http://cgi.ebay.com/San-Diego-GeoCoin-Pin-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Since there were 1000 made, I am sure the first few to be sold on ebay will go for $50 or so. Once the 'masses' have them in hand, the price will drop to a 'reasonable' level.

Look back at old ebay auctions to see this in action.

I would think that the market will slow a bit during this holiday season. Some will buy as gifts for others but the closer to the middle of the moth we might see a lower price for some. But them those with a bit more disposable income could get "bargins" so to speak.

I wonder if I should sell some of these on e-bay? :D

No I guess I had beter keep mailing them out! :blink:

f007d061-a48d-435f-aec0-a6634ba00d59.jpg

BTW those coins on Ebay are not my account!

Hey, is that my Peach coin I see there in the middle? :anibad: