Cbs News - Nyc Cache Hunters & Sponsors

hllyhobbie

Hello hunters!

I am a producer for CBS News and I would like to interview someone who will be looking for a cache in NYC. I would also like to talk to someone who has sponsored a cache in the city. Are there any recommendations or volunteers?

Thanks for your help.

Megan

Feel free to contact me: mwarren@cbs.com

Edited by hllyhobbie

hi i am a NYC Cacher, i am not that experineced so al i can really offer is some basic info. you may want to talk to Squely or Macattack1961 or JMbella they are the major geocachers in Long island. you can check out there sight www.ligeocaching.com. i am also very young and so i am probably not of interest to you. but please email me and i will help in any way necessary.

Hope i can help you, :ninja:

Mike

hi i am a NYC Cacher, i am not that experineced so al i can really offer is some basic info. you may want to talk to Squely or Macattack1961 or JMbella they are the major geocachers in Long island. you can check out there sight www.ligeocaching.com. i am also very young and so i am probably not of interest to you. but please email me and i will help in any way necessary.

Hope i can help you, :ninja:

Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm sure ther are plenty of cachers that are in the city a lot more than me though. :ninja:

Hope i can help you, :D

Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm sure ther are plenty of cachers that are in the city a lot more than me though. :P

...and I've got stage fright... :D

An event? :) (says the newbie newsie)

I've been reading and learning and THAT sounds like a great idea! This Avro you speak of, how can I contact him or her? I am not so adept to scooting around this website.

And thanks, so far, for all your input. My boss is very intrigued by the whole geocache thing. Very exciting!!!!

You could always look him up on the geocaching.com site and send an E Mail and if he decides to answer you then you will have made contact. On the hide and seek a cache page there is a lookup by player name feature.

The other alternative is to hide a 2/2 cache somewhere around zip code 07012 and wait about 5 minutes and you will find him that way. :)

You might also lay your questions out on the table here and see if others would be willing to answer them or provide the information that you are looking for. Some have developed a reticent approach when speaking to the press. Viewpoints here tend to run the full range. Good luck with your research.

Edited by Packanack
An event? :rolleyes: (says the newbie newsie)

I've been reading and learning and THAT sounds like a great idea! This Avro you speak of, how can I contact him or her? I am not so adept to scooting around this website.

And thanks, so far, for all your input. My boss is very intrigued by the whole geocache thing. Very exciting!!!!

You can reach Avroair through his profile.

You should go to the Caching Through the Snow 2 event on the 11th in Sparta. Most of the NYC area cachers should be there. Look at the event calender for directions. Looks like TRL and I think alike, he posted the same reply one minute before I did.

Edited by marlin01

Lol - I will probably have a LIGO one named the same thing.

I was only busting chops.

In all serious, I think everyone would agree that there really IS no NYC (as everyone outside of the 5 boroughs, LI and NNJ consider Manhattan to be) "poster boy" cacher. Most caches in Manhattan are VACATION caches placed by people who have come and gone and no longer take care of their caches. But we won't address that.

If you looked at it geographically - NYC = the 5 boroughs, my vote would have to go to SplicingDan (Staten Island) or Alan2 (Queens). They are the only two that I know of that have been around for a long time, are still active and have placed and found a ton in the area.

Edited by Squealy

Harry Dolphin and Andy Bear have done all active Manhattan caches (and many archived ones) except one. Gonna have to wait for my brother to return from Tasmania to get the last web cam. (Andy Bear's Danged Ten-Mile List.) But. we's Joisey Boys.

We think OP should go to Caching Through the Snow! They get WCBS (on cable) up in Sussex.

im a hard core nyc cacher? i am with in the five boroughs. mayor mike is my mayor and other stuff like that. does anyone know how many true NYC Cachers there are?

mike

Silvermarc and Candover are both in Manhatten... they are the only ones I know.

DBoggNY is about as NYC as you can get.

I don't know how active he's been - but he's a great person to contact about caching in NYC. I thought at one time he was leading tours of the Central Park caches!

Lol - I will probably have a LIGO one named the same thing.

I was only busting chops.

In all serious, I think everyone would agree that there really IS no NYC (as everyone outside of the 5 boroughs, LI and NNJ consider Manhattan to be) "poster boy" cacher. Most caches in Manhattan are VACATION caches placed by people who have come and gone and no longer take care of their caches. But we won't address that.

If you looked at it geographically - NYC = the 5 boroughs, my vote would have to go to SplicingDan (Staten Island) or Alan2 (Queens). They are the only two that I know of that have been around for a long time, are still active and have placed and found a ton in the area.

Thanks for the vote of confidence but my only hide in Manhattan was plundered once to often - I finally shut it down. I still got one on Wards Island, but I'm not sure if that's considered Manhattan or Queens. Anyway, you've got at least one still in Manhattan in Central Park which is right near CBS. Cool man. :lol:

im a hard core nyc cacher? i am with in the five boroughs. mayor mike is my mayor and other stuff like that. does anyone know how many true NYC Cachers there are?

mike

Silvermarc and Candover are both in Manhatten... they are the only ones I know.

DBoggNY is about as NYC as you can get.

I don't know how active he's been - but he's a great person to contact about caching in NYC. I thought at one time he was leading tours of the Central Park caches!

huh?

we just did a NIGHT tour of CP in October.

Are we ready for another?