San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

smilinglady13 is picking me up at the Descanso Park 'n Ride about 8:15 or so. :D

ahimsa, which cluster is that?

I've found all those along there . . . in fact I placed two of them on the east side of Japatul Road south of the 8. They are lonely and would like a visit . . . :P

If you have to leave at noon, maybe we should change the order of the caches and do "Snail Rock" first . . . :P

Anyone know what the weather is going to be doing? I thought it was supposed to be raining today . . . :D

Wildwood Glen cluster would refer to caches along and near that old section of Highway 80 including the Ellis Wayside cache, Aubrey's Cache, and so on.

Ah . . . that's a long walk.

And, if you do it the way I had to, it takes three trips . . . :D

:)

Edit to add appropriate quote . . .

Edited by Miragee
smilinglady13 is picking me up at the Descanso Park 'n Ride about 8:15 or so. :)

I've found all those along there . . . in fact I placed two of them on the east side of Japatul Road south of the 8. They are lonely and would like a visit . . . :P

If you have to leave at noon, maybe we should change the order of the caches and do "Snail Rock" first . . . :P

Anyone know what the weather is going to be doing? I thought it was supposed to be raining today . . . :D

It looks to me like we will basically be doing a big loop.

23bb647b-18d4-4a60-a9bd-08a4459a38c8.jpg

So we can go counterclockwise and hit the Snail Rock one in the morning.

If there are just the four of us going, I could meet you guys at the Descanso P&R.

Otherwise we could meet at the first cache on the loop, Laguna Junction....

Edited by TrailGators
Meet at the Lake Jennings P&R this Saturday at 8 AM...

So who will be meeting at the P&R tomorrow at 8AM?

I'm planning to be there - but I have to be back here around noon. Has someone picked the cache route for anyone who's running late? Does anyone plan to hit the "Wildwood Glen" cluster on the road near the intersection of 79 and 8?

I will be at the Lake Jennings park and ride. I have room for 2 more people.....then to pick up Mirage on the way to the first cache......I guess we could all pull in there so we dont get split up. She said she would show us the back way into Pine Valley.

If you have to leave at noon, maybe we should change the order of the caches and do "Snail Rock" first . . . B)

But I don't wanna die! :P:DB)B):P

You ain't gonna die . . . B)

:D

(Miragee @ Dec 2 2005, 12:17 PM)

Oh, it's blocked off to vehicles? Even mountain bikes?

And, yes, the road is blocked to vehicles but it would be a good place for a mountain bike. Some of those caches are hard to find . . . at least they sure were for me. :D:)

So, give yourself plenty of time for the 2-mile long trek. :D

Edit to add appropriate quotes . . . you guys are too fast.

Edited by Miragee

Oh, it's blocked off to vehicles? Even mountain bikes? :P

We talked about that cluster a while back. We decided it is best to MB it or bring a scooter. But that cluster is a good candidate for another day! :P

It is a good cluster to do.......especially the ones I havent found yet in that series.......sigh.......darned decon containers.

I decided not to approach from the south, 'cause I promised Green Dolphin we would do SCCC#1 together and he is out of town this weekend. I did call the Descanso Ranger's station and found out I can drive up Kitchen Creek, east on Fred Canyon all the way to Thing Valley Rd where the lock gate sits. There are six caches along the way, including SCCC#1. Will leave this for another day.

So, I will start at GCPW4F (Jacks Plunge) and hit two other caches before the Snail Rock cache. I need to return home by 10a'ish, so I plan on starting Jack's Plunge at 6a, and will probably hit the snail solo with GD Ginger, hopefully, around 8'ish.

The current forecast calls for 40% chance of "measurable precipitation" tonight, and partly cloudy tomorrow.

smilinglady13 is picking me up at the Descanso Park 'n Ride about 8:15 or so. :P

I've found all those along there . . . in fact I placed two of them on the east side of Japatul Road south of the 8. They are lonely and would like a visit . . . :D

If you have to leave at noon, maybe we should change the order of the caches and do "Snail Rock" first . . . :)

Anyone know what the weather is going to be doing? I thought it was supposed to be raining today . . . :P

It looks to me like we will basically be doing a big loop.

23bb647b-18d4-4a60-a9bd-08a4459a38c8.jpg

If there are just the four of us going, I could meet you guys at the Descanso P&R.

Now there are 5 of us!

Miragee does this loop look what you had in mind?

So, are we going to start with Snail Rock so ahimsa can be with us for that?

It looks like there are a half dozen that could be snagged on the way to Snail Rock for those of us who haven't gotten them yet - how long could they take? How long will Snail Rock take? :P

Yup . . .

So, are we going to start with Snail Rock so ahimsa can be with us for that?

I was thinking the same thing...We could hit Laguna, Rock, Valley, Moo, Treasure and then head down to Snail Rock. We could hit those others near Snail Rock on the way back in case we were running short on time! I would think we could all those before noon and we'd then head up to Bug's Eye....

Edited by TrailGators

It took P.T. and me 45 minutes to go 130 feet, after we hiked the .7 mile to the "vicinity" of "Snail Rock." :P

It won't take you 45 minutes through the secret passageway . . . :P

"Laguna Junction" doesn't take too long, but it is a bit of a walk, and a bit tricky (stay on the road, don't follow the arrow, stay on the road, don't follow the arrow, stay on the road, don't follow the arrow) :D.

"Valley View" won't take very long either, but it is a walk of a bit more than .1.

"Rockhard Cache" is quite a challenge. I think it will take more than 45 minutes to walk/hike/scramble to that one and back out to the car. Although you won't have to bushwhack to that one the way P.T. and I did . . . :)

"Treasure Tree #6" and "Moo" are the closest and quickest caches to find.

It looks like there are a half dozen that could be snagged on the way to Snail Rock for those of us who haven't gotten them yet - how long could they take?  How long will Snail Rock take?  :P

How about:

That would get us to Snail Rock pretty quick but also knock off some of the easier ones on the way in.

On edit: ok, maybe skip Rock-Hard going in ... :P

Edited by ahimsa
It looks like there are a half dozen that could be snagged on the way to Snail Rock for those of us who haven't gotten them yet - how long could they take?  How long will Snail Rock take?  :P

How about:

That would get us to Snail Rock pretty quick but also knock off some of the easier ones on the way in.

On edit: ok, maybe skip Rock-Hard going in ... :P

Sounds good to me!

I need to hit Fred's Plunge, Valley View, Thing Valley, and Snail Rock. Time permitting, maybe justfred1 on the way back down.

The girls wrote in their log it took them 45 minutes to travel 130 feet to the cache in that brush. It's less than a mile hike each way. So, 20 minute hike + 90 minute crawl + 10 minute at GZ = approx 2hr round trip. I'm hoping it took them less than 45 minutes to clear the brush.

If someone wants to meet at 6:00a at the park/ride, I may budge, but 8a is way to late for me to start.

OK we need a roll call so we don't wait forever at the P&R tomorrow!

So who will be meeting at the P&R tomorrow at 8AM?

I plan to be there tomorrow. :P

Thought you had to go to court......

Court was on Tuesday. person changed his plea to guilty so I was only there for about 3 hours in the morning.

It is hard to say if these are the only people that will show up as not everyone posts in the forum or checks it on as normal a basis as we do. I know I have either emailed with or heard about a couple other people that might show up.

I need to hit Fred's Plunge, Valley View, Thing Valley, and Snail Rock. Time permitting, maybe justfred1 on the way back down.

The girls wrote in their log it took them 45 minutes to travel 130 feet to the cache in that brush. It's less than a mile hike each way. So, 20 minute hike + 90 minute crawl + 10 minute at GZ = approx 2hr round trip. I'm hoping it took them less than 45 minutes to clear the brush.

If someone wants to meet at 6:00a at the park/ride, I may budge, but 8a is way to late for me to start.

Make sure that each of you bookmark your finds and note your password on your PDA. That way when Chuy recovers bodies and equipment from Snail Rock we all can pitch in and enter your finds. Finds may count at the Pearly Gate you know.

Make sure that each of you bookmark your finds and note your password on your PDA. That way when Chuy recovers bodies and equipment from Snail Rock we all can pitch in and enter your finds. Finds may count at the Pearly Gate you know.

Hey, Harmon thinks we're actually gonna make it! We're gonna live!!! :blink:

how much will we be hiking vs driving tomorrow? Trying to decide if I should bring Kaida the geomutt with me in the car. She prefers to be out hiking over sitting in the car. She hasn't been out in a couple weeks now.

The walks to "Laguna Junction" and "Valley View," from their respective parking spots, are only about .1, then we will be back in the car. The hike to "Snail Rock" is .7, from where we will be parking, but you need a somewhat high clearance vehicle, or you need to drive very carefully, to get to that parking spot from Sunrise Highway.

There will be a fair amount of driving after "Snail Rock" to several "drive up" caches before we get to "Nobel Cache," which is a walk of less than .5, I think.

how much will we be hiking vs driving tomorrow? Trying to decide if I should bring Kaida the geomutt with me in the car. She prefers to be out hiking over sitting in the car. She hasn't been out in a couple weeks now.

The walks to "Laguna Junction" and "Valley View," from their respective parking spots, are only about .1, then we will be back in the car. The hike to "Snail Rock" is .7, from where we will be parking, but you need a somewhat high clearance vehicle, or you need to drive very carefully, to get to that parking spot from Sunrise Highway.

There will be a fair amount of driving after "Snail Rock" to several "drive up" caches before we get to "Nobel Cache," which is a walk of less than .5, I think.

Is it muddy? If so, you'll need a large geodog blanket! :blink:

I need to hit Fred's Plunge, Valley View, Thing Valley, and Snail Rock.  Time permitting, maybe justfred1 on the way back down.

The girls wrote in their log it took them 45 minutes to travel 130 feet to the cache in that brush.  It's less than a mile hike each way.  So, 20 minute hike + 90 minute crawl + 10 minute at GZ = approx 2hr round trip.  I'm hoping it took them less than 45 minutes to clear the brush.

I thought you were going to be there to help us out.........but then.....you did not come for the entertainment of SCC that we did Turkey day..... :blink:

I need to hit Fred's Plunge, Valley View, Thing Valley, and Snail Rock.  Time permitting, maybe justfred1 on the way back down.

The girls ladies wrote in their log it took them 45 minutes to travel 130 feet to the cache in that brush.  It's less than a mile hike each way.  So, 20 minute hike + 90 minute crawl + 10 minute at GZ = approx 2hr round trip.  I'm hoping it took them less than 45 minutes to clear the brush.

Ummm, with only three caches to hit before Snail rock, and a two-hour headstart, I'm the one that needs to bookmark my finds :blink: .

There is still rain in the forecast for tonight, but nothing has fallen in Lakeside, yet.

The girls ladies wrote in their log it took them 45 minutes to travel 130 feet to the cache in that brush.  It's less than a mile hike each way.  So, 20 minute hike + 90 minute crawl + 10 minute at GZ = approx 2hr round trip.  I'm hoping it took them less than 45 minutes to clear the brush.

Ummm, with only three caches to hit before Snail rock, and a two-hour headstart, I'm the one that needs to bookmark my finds :blink: .

There is still rain in the forecast for tonight, but nothing has fallen in Lakeside, yet.

Lookin' good:

pcloudy.jpg

Ummm, with only three caches to hit before Snail rock, and a two-hour headstart, I'm the one that needs to bookmark my finds :lol: .

Lookin' good:

pcloudy.jpg

To this day when somebody says "looking good" I still hear Chico and the Man's Freddie Prinze saying "Looooking Gooood!" :ph34r:

Oops am I aging myself..... :blink:

Harmon, aren't you going to come along to watch/listen?

You can keep me company while I wait for the others 'cause I ain't goin' into that thicket again . . . :blink:

Uh-oh, I can see it now, drawing straws so's only one person has to crawl into that thicket. I don't want to see that and I'll be watching for a group photo right at the container ... if any of you survive. Of course it's a bit cozy there for framing a group shot so improvise.

Don't forget to bring the camera out if you are the only survivor. Hey, that's a great name for a television series huh?

Also please look carefully around the bottom edge of the boulder beside the container and see if the Miner's Lettuce is still growing there.

Miragee, do me a small favor please, do crawl up ahead of the group only backwards all the way so's you get good photos of the group as they wriggle up through the thicket. You know, documentary style. Thanks darlin'.

Did I mention the barbed wire?

What more can I say -

"Amazi-ing Grace, how sweet th'-e sound,

That saved a wretch li-ike me....

I once wa-as lost but now ayum found,

Was blind, but now, I-I see."

Y'all gonna die ....

af83bc79-19ea-48ab-8e35-b2d8c3f19c4a.jpg

And this is the PCT.

Edited by SD Rowdies
I decided not to approach from the south, 'cause I promised Green Dolphin we would do SCCC#1 together and he is out of town this weekend. I did call the Descanso Ranger's station and found out I can drive up Kitchen Creek, east on Fred Canyon all the way to Thing Valley Rd where the lock gate sits. There are six caches along the way, including SCCC#1. Will leave this for another day.

So, I will start at GCPW4F (Jacks Plunge) and hit two other caches before the Snail Rock cache. I need to return home by 10a'ish, so I plan on starting Jack's Plunge at 6a, and will probably hit the snail solo with GD Ginger, hopefully, around 8'ish.

The current forecast calls for 40% chance of "measurable precipitation" tonight, and partly cloudy tomorrow.

Thanks Chuy. I really don't like these work trips that last through a holiday like this one did. I would have liked to have made it out for the SCC Caches on T-day and met some of you. I will arrive home about 6 hours too late to make it for Saturday also. Have fun.

BUT...Not everything sucks about work trips...Even got my second FTF...check it out.......

11/27/2005 You found Chemical Cache (Traditional Cache) Mississippi [visit log]

11/27/2005 You found Confederate Dead (Traditional Cache) Alabama [visit log]

11/27/2005 You found Diamondhead (Traditional Cache) Mississippi [visit log]

11/27/2005 You found The Road Less Traveled (Traditional Cache) Alabama [visit log]

11/27/2005 You found Wingz (Traditional Cache) Mississippi [visit log]

11/26/2005 You retrieved Lil' Bear with a Heart (Travel Bug Dog Tag) from I10- I65 travel bug motel Alabama [visit log]

11/26/2005 You placed Lil' Bear with a Heart (Travel Bug Dog Tag) in Wilson House Travel Bug Inn Mississippi [visit log]

11/26/2005 You retrieved Texas Spur (Travel Bug Dog Tag) from Wilson House Travel Bug Inn Mississippi [visit log]

11/26/2005 You found Gator Alley (Traditional Cache) Alabama [visit log]

11/26/2005 You found I10- I65 travel bug motel (Traditional Cache) Alabama [visit log]

11/26/2005 You found TOUR OF MOBILE - LISTING (Traditional Cache) Alabama [visit log]

11/26/2005 You found Wilson House Travel Bug Inn (Traditional Cache) Mississippi [visit log]

11/26/2005 You posted a note for Wilson House Travel Bug Inn (Traditional Cache) Mississippi [visit log]

11/26/2005 You couldn't find Riverside Park (Traditional Cache) Alabama [visit log]

11/26/2005 You couldn't find Stennis Traveler Trader (Traditional Cache) Mississippi [visit log]

11/24/2005 You retrieved Webvan Lives On! (Travel Bug Dog Tag) from Welcome To Florida Florida [visit log]

11/24/2005 You found Double Barrel Travel Bug Motel Cache (Traditional Cache) Florida [visit log]

11/24/2005 You found I-10 WB Welcome to Bama! (Traditional Cache) Alabama [visit log]

11/24/2005 You found Welcome To Florida (Traditional Cache) Florida [visit log]

What more can I say -

"Amazi-ing Grace, how sweet th'-e sound,   

That saved a wretch li-ike me....

I once wa-as lost but now ayum found,

Was blind, but now, I-I see."

Y'all gonna die ....

af83bc79-19ea-48ab-8e35-b2d8c3f19c4a.jpg

And this is the PCT.

Thanks for singing for us Harmon!

We'll have to get a good photo for ye! :D:ph34r:

Just remember when you pull out yer hankie that we was a laughing :ph34r: until the very end.....