San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

This is a simulation of our Bear Valley run (since I didn't take any pictures) - it's not our actual truck, we don't have that license plate (tempting though) or frame, but that is Bear Valley! Thank you all for helping us score more caches in two days than we usually score in 4 months!

3c0187e3-32d3-42e2-8c69-85d7a9f1e532.jpg

If those new caches remain FTF'able tomorrow, I'm thinking of driving down there, then maybe paying a visit to Night Hunter's new cache as well. I've got room for a passenger; any takers?

Thanks anyhow Chuy, but I have some honey-do stuff to do around the house tomorrow.... :)

But next Saturday works! Are there any events planned for next weekend? :P

If those new caches remain FTF'able tomorrow, I'm thinking of driving down there, then maybe paying a visit to Night Hunter's new cache as well. I've got room for a passenger; any takers?

what time you going? I got most of my projects done today but I still need to bleed my brakes again. stopping ins't that important though....

Next Saturday is the Old Burma Road caches, Laguna Mt. caches, and Snail Rock . . . :P

How many is that? Have a map? If you give me a GC# I can make one!

The Old Spice Cache (GCM24N) is somewhere in on Old Burma Road. Follow the road north to Sunrise Highway and south to Pine Valley (although right at the cache I listed the road is going east-west).

There is also a cache a little off called Lion's Den (GCPHR4) that is off a side road. I would recommend we make a stop there if the gate is open(even though Miragee, SmilingLady13, and I have been there already). It is about a .1 mile walk if the gate is open.

This is a simulation of our Bear Valley run (since I didn't take any pictures) - it's not our actual truck, we don't have that license plate (tempting though) or frame, but that is Bear Valley! Thank you all for helping us score more caches in two days than we usually score in 4 months!

3c0187e3-32d3-42e2-8c69-85d7a9f1e532.jpg

YOu are quite welcome. I thought you guys did very very well with your new 4x4. Now that it is broken in.....you can do harder stuff :P

Next Saturday is the Old Burma Road caches, Laguna Mt. caches, and Snail Rock . . . :P

The Old Spice Cache (GCM24N) is somewhere in on Old Burma Road. Follow the road north to Sunrise Highway and south to Pine Valley (although right at the cache I listed the road is going east-west).

There is also a cache a little off called Lion's Den (GCPHR4) that is off a side road. I would recommend we make a stop there if the gate is open(even though Miragee, SmilingLady13, and I have been there already). It is about a .1 mile walk if the gate is open.

I love that cache.......I am willing to drive my jeep down that hill again.....and no it is not bad.....much better than Bear Valley

Here is another area to consider with 22 caches near Descanso Junction....

Yeah, I've been eyeing that cluster for a while (having driven by it 6 times in the last month or so).

So many caches so few days to cache! :P

If we hit those we could maybe hit those 4 on the other side of the locked gate at Bear Valley.... Not sure how long those 22 would take but we could head up and do those others by Snail Rock in the afternoon.....

Yeah, I've been eyeing that cluster for a while (having driven by it 6 times in the last month or so).

If we hit those we could maybe hit those 4 on the other side of the locked gate at Bear Valley.... Not sure how long those 22 would take but we could head up and do those others by Snail Rock in the afternoon.....

looks like the majority of those 22 are on old highway 80. They all have to be done on foot or by bike. Looks like a couple of them are missing as well.

looks like the majority of those 22 are on old highway 80. They all have to be done on foot or by bike. Looks like a couple of them are missing as well.

OIC. Any other good clusters? It was fun off-roading to them yesterday. By the way, I only plot the active caches...my PQs hide the inactive ones!

OIC. Any other good clusters? It was fun off-roading to them yesterday. By the way, I only plot the active caches...my PQs hide the inactive ones!

Well . . . there is that little cluster of ten I put on Mt. McGinty . . . Tee Hee!! No off-roading to those. You have to hike to them. That cluster starts at "You Can Cache."

Edit to add appropriate quote.

Edited by Miragee

29c4c6ea-8a1e-4020-9d56-c820c1663dc1.jpg

Add the Viejas Grade Road caches into these two groups for a real productive day. Start on the Viejas Reservation and head up to Descanso and then south to the Old 80 set and thence on to the meadow set. Then again maybe you've already scored the Viejas Grade Road set.

Best way to do the Old 80 set is with a mountain bike. You will encounter a locked road gate with a parking area so you must walk or ride a bike or horse or piggy-back one another. If you piggy back make sure you pick the short straw for the downhill leg. Aubrey's Cache ... that's another of my many grandchildren so please spruce up the hide and replenish the swag.

Those meadow caches are easily reached on foot and the location is really pleasant. Before you go into the meadow please learn the difference between a cow and a steer. Also learn why brown cows give more milk that black cows.

You'll easily collect twenty finds in those three areas. At Old Ellis Wayside cache do watch out for the Poison Oak that you will be near. Don't get all excited about the Basket Bush that looks like Poison Oak, just remember that Poison Oak has a petiole and Basket Bush does not. That means that the center leaf of Poison Oak has it's own stem.

Ah, the trouble I go to to look after you kids. Have fun and don't forget to call your mommy now and then.

Harmon

Snail Rock? Y'all gonna die.

Did somebody catapult an ammo box into the middle of some nasty stuff?

Anybody got a machete or better yet a chainsaw? :)

On your hands and knees for 130-feet uphill boys and girls. Take a good look at the photos posted by Miragee and Toadstool. Say the word "Chamise" because you're going to remember it for a long time.

Snail Rock not for seesies.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Anybody got a machete or better yet a chainsaw? ;)

Catapult . . . where would you get that idea? :)

Actually, it is not an ammo box . . . it is a Tupperware container. And, it was bone dry after almost two and a half years. This is the inside of the lid:

OriginalTeam_704.jpg

As your "official guide," I promise I won't make you go into the thicket where P.T. and I went in. You can go in through the Gecko Dad "tunnel" near the magic rock in the middle of the trail.

Anybody got a machete or better yet a chainsaw? ;)

Catapult . . . where would you get that idea? :)

Actually, it is not an ammo box . . . it is a Tupperware container. And, it was bone dry after almost two and a half years. This is the inside of the lid:

OriginalTeam_704.jpg

As your "official guide," I promise I won't make you go into the thicket where P.T. and I went in. You can go in through the Gecko Dad "tunnel" near the magic rock in the middle of the trail.

Love it, Harry Potter to the rescue.

Y'all gonna die.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Good going. So how strong is Kawikaturn's back?

Not so easy...huh? Maybe it's better to hike it! I don't enjoy pushing bikes up hills.... :P

No, no ... just kidding about the piggy-back idea. It is a pretty good grade that made the autos of the forties and fifties boil over but low gear on a mountain bike is fine.

Shoot, I did it and I'm older than dirt.

Not so easy...huh? Maybe it's better to hike it! I don't enjoy pushing bikes up hills.... :)

No, no ... just kidding about the piggy-back idea. It is a pretty good grade that made the autos of the forties and fifties boil over but low gear on a mountain bike is fine.

Isn't dirt about 4 billion years old? :P Old Highway 60 looks to be only about 3 miles or so so hiking wouldn't be bad...especailly if we drop a car off!

Edited by TrailGators

Not so easy...huh? Maybe it's better to hike it! I don't enjoy pushing bikes up hills.... :)

Isn't dirt about 4 billion years old? :P Old Highway 60 looks to be only about 3 miles or so so hiking wouldn't be bad...especailly if we drop a car off!

In truth Old 80 is easy hiking along that stretch and there's no real bushwhacking involved. All boils down to how much time you have.

Dropping a return car won't work, no access at the west end.

As I recall dirt was invented 4 billion and five days ago, yesterday. But don't forget, dirt is not dirt, it's only soil in the wrong place.

Edited by SD Rowdies
If those new caches remain FTF'able tomorrow, I'm thinking of driving down there, then maybe paying a visit to Night Hunter's new cache as well.  I've got room for a passenger; any takers?

what time you going? I got most of my projects done today but I still need to bleed my brakes again. stopping ins't that important though....

Oops, change of plans. The Mrs is going shopping early and I gotta play daddy day care.

A small cluster are in Hollenbeck Canyon which includes the It Got Me off the Couch series. However, these are hiking/Mtn Bike caches.

As I recall dirt was invented 4 billion and five days ago, yesterday. But don't forget, dirt is not dirt, it's only soil in the wrong place.

Then you're right a bike is the way to go! If a man that's 4 billion years and 5 days old can do it, then we should be able to do it too! But seriously it looks like a nice ride!

Edited by TrailGators

In truth Old 80 is easy hiking along that stretch and there's no real bushwhacking involved. All boils down to how much time you have.

Old 80 is paved most of the way; I rode my bike three times and walked half way once to grab these caches. Only the last 200 yards or is dirt road. It's mostly downhill most of the way but a low gradual ascent on the way back.

Don't have a bike? Grab your kid's foot scooter!

Not so easy...huh? Maybe it's better to hike it! I don't enjoy pushing bikes up hills.... :P

Isn't dirt about 4 billion years old? :) Old Highway 60 looks to be only about 3 miles or so so hiking wouldn't be bad...especailly if we drop a car off!

Old 80 is paved most of the way; I rode my bike three times and walked half way once to grab these caches. Only the last 200 yards or is dirt road. It's mostly downhill most of the way but a low gradual ascent on the way back.

Don't have a bike? Grab your kid's foot scooter!

I walked that route . . . twice . . .

darn De-con containers. ;)

I couldn't find them the first time down that road . . . :Pirked.gif

Next Saturday is the Old Burma Road caches, Laguna Mt. caches, and Snail Rock . . . :)

I love that cache.......I am willing to drive my jeep down that hill again.....and no it is not bad.....much better than Bear Valley

Back to this cluster...

Can somebody please post a map or at least a list of the caches you were thinking of doing next week?

Those sound like fun! :P

Edited by TrailGators
Look what I was doing today in 60 mph wind gusts out in the desert with smilinglady13 today:

530c0839-2013-4ce4-a7a4-615e45b40f57.jpg

What fun! :D

Nice photo and snappy dresser too. That sky-blue is to die for.

Which one of you busted that boulder? I'll have t' report you y' know.

I swear it was the wind that broke it........was a blowin at 95 mph!!!!! Surprised we werent blown to the next county

Next Saturday is the Old Burma Road caches, Laguna Mt. caches, and Snail Rock . . . :D

Back to this cluster...

Can somebody please post a map or at least a list of the caches you were thinking of doing next week?

Those sound like fun! :D

I wont even try to make a map......some of us have to be computer challenged!!!! But I bet Miragee or Duganrm can make a lovely route map including the lovely Snail Rock one........am looking forward to that. I might even consider putting on long blue jeans for this one rather than my usual shorts......course my legs are pretty scratched up from the last 2 weeks so......what would another scratch or 2 mean???? Did we set a time and a meeting place yet? I have forgotten since any brains I had in my head were blown out of my head by the wind yesterday.

Next Saturday is the Old Burma Road caches, Laguna Mt. caches, and Snail Rock . . . :D

Back to this cluster...

Those sound like fun! :D

I wont even try to make a map......some of us have to be computer challenged!!!! But I bet Miragee or Duganrm can make a lovely route map including the lovely Snail Rock one........am looking forward to that. I might even consider putting on long blue jeans for this one rather than my usual shorts......course my legs are pretty scratched up from the last 2 weeks so......what would another scratch or 2 mean???? Did we set a time and a meeting place yet? I have forgotten since any brains I had in my head were blown out of my head by the wind yesterday.

Snail Rock! Y'all gonna die.

I wont even try to make a map......Did we set a time and a meeting place yet?

No meeting time yet (how about 8AM?) but let's stick with the P&R on Lake Jennings Road and Hwy 8 as the meeting spot!

OK here is a map of the area that I think we are talking about.

I think my map is missing a road that comes up from Pine Valley...

Snail Rock is in the lower right corner....and we ain't gonna die! :D

c8210dd1-204e-40bb-a8a3-33e018b04856.jpg

Edited by TrailGators
Next Saturday is the Old Burma Road caches, Laguna Mt. caches, and Snail Rock . . . ;)

Back to this cluster...

Those sound like fun! B)

I dont think so ......we figured out your caches AND THEN survived the Bear Valley area the next day......AND on top of that some of us lived to cache on Saturday