San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

Next Saturday is the Old Burma Road caches, Laguna Mt. caches, and Snail Rock . . . :ninja:

How many is that? Have a map? If you give me a GC# I can make one!

The Old Spice Cache (GCM24N) is somewhere in on Old Burma Road. Follow the road north to Sunrise Highway and south to Pine Valley (although right at the cache I listed the road is going east-west).

There is also a cache a little off called Lion's Den (GCPHR4) that is off a side road. I would recommend we make a stop there if the gate is open(even though Miragee, SmilingLady13, and I have been there already). It is about a .1 mile walk if the gate is open.

I love that cache.......I am willing to drive my jeep down that hill again.....and no it is not bad.....much better than Bear Valley

Back to this cluster...

Can somebody please post a map or at least a list of the caches you were thinking of doing next week?

Those sound like fun! :ninja:

I wont even try to make a map......some of us have to be computer challenged!!!! But I bet Miragee or Duganrm can make a lovely route map including the lovely Snail Rock one........am looking forward to that. I might even consider putting on long blue jeans for this one rather than my usual shorts......course my legs are pretty scratched up from the last 2 weeks so......what would another scratch or 2 mean???? Did we set a time and a meeting place yet? I have forgotten since any brains I had in my head were blown out of my head by the wind yesterday.

Snail Rock! Y'all gonna die.

I dont think so ......we figured out your caches AND THEN survived the Bear Valley area the next day......AND on top of that some of us lived to cache on Saturday

Before it's too late "I told you so."

011266b3-7c08-4cac-bf36-6858ed71bca6.jpg

:ninja:

Not to change the subject, but . . .

30.gifPartly Cloudy

That is the weather forecast for Tuesday with a high of 67°.

The meeting time is 9:00 a.m. at "Lyons Valley Roadside Distraction" for the ascent up to "Lawson 4."

I'm looking forward to seeing a whole group of intrepid cachers that morning. :ninja:

So . . . who's calling in sick that day? :ninja:

By the way, I think the most direct route to the trailhead is 94 East to Lyons Valley Road to Skyline Truck Trail to Lyons Valley Road.

30.gifPartly Cloudy

The meeting time is 9:00 a.m. at "Lyons Valley Roadside Distraction" for the ascent up to "Lawson 4."

I'm looking forward to seeing a whole group of intrepid cachers that morning. :ninja:

By the way, I think the most direct route to the trailhead is 94 East to Lyons Valley Road to Skyline Truck Trail to Lyons Valley Road.

I wish I could but I'm just a weekend cacher....

But an all day offsite meeting is very tempting..... :ninja:

30.gifPartly Cloudy

Wished I could call in sick but.........some day I will but this week is not the day.....:ninja:

AND for you sceptics in the crowd......we are going to do fine this upcoming weekend with a superior guide for Snail Rock and us other brave hardy souls.NO DYING......after all it will be my day off and I dont work on the weekends :ninja: if you need CPR you are on your own.

30.gifPartly Cloudy

i'm feeling a mental health day coming on :ninja:

30.gifPartly Cloudy

i'm feeling a mental health day coming on :ninja:

Say, how come you never posted the body-count from your last outing?

30.gifPartly Cloudy

Okay, weather update. It is only 56° here this morning, with a light breeze. So, anyone joining us might want to bring gloves.

It is a very long, steep hike icon_smile_tongue.gif, so we will warm up quickly, even in cool morning air, but our hands might be cold in the beginning.

Bring food and water, and I highly recommend having a walking stick or trekking poles.

I will be forever indebted to all who join me on this trek to the closest cache to my house. It has been taunting me ever since last February when I failed in my attempt. I got to the end of the arrow . . .

2338fd5d-78db-4b75-b130-444118b1db6c.jpg

I think we lost the Tigger's Expedition TB either on the Sandy Creek run or the Bear Valley run. :ninja: I'm hoping it's somewhere in the house and just didn't make it into the truck but if anyone does those caches can you look around the obvious parking spots? We haven't done any caches since we picked it up at the Forbidden Forest except those - and didn't want to leave any TB's in those anyway - but did open up the box with the TB's in it to put in a TB we picked up at a SC cache and also to take out our own TB at one of the BV caches. It's very sad because it was a very special TB (take a look at it's page). :ninja::ninja::ninja: We put the other TB's in The Forbidden Forest last night so there is a slight chance it ended up back in that cache, but I don't think so.

I think we lost the Tigger's Expedition TB either on the Sandy Creek run or the Bear Valley run. :ninja: I'm hoping it's somewhere in the house and just didn't make it into the truck but if anyone does those caches can you look around the obvious parking spots? We haven't done any caches since we picked it up at the Forbidden Forest except those - and didn't want to leave any TB's in those anyway - but did open up the box with the TB's in it to put in a TB we picked up at a SC cache and also to take out our own TB at one of the BV caches. It's very sad because it was a very special TB (take a look at it's page). :ninja::ninja::ninja: We put the other TB's in The Forbidden Forest last night so there is a slight chance it ended up back in that cache, but I don't think so.

Sorry Ahimsa, I don't recall seeing that TB at Bear Valley...

Oh, bummer. :ninja:

If you remember exactly which caches where you had the TB box open, you could post a note on that cache page to encourage future seekers to be on the lookout for it.

Good idea, there weren't many ammo cans in Bear Valley!  :D

I believe you dropped your TB off at Bear Valley Loop-Bearable Views (GCNTZT) so you had it out then.

There were so many of us - and we're all such sharp geo-spotters, that I don't think it would have been overlooked. Hoping it's just lost in the house somewhere! Or maybe it ended up back in the Forbidden Forest - maybe it really liked it there. :P

Green Dolphin and  I are considering visiting SCCC #1, our last SCCC find, this weekend; we haven't decided Sat or Sun.  There's a few other caches up Kitchen Creek that also need finding.

A bunch of us are meeting at the Lake Jennings/Hwy8 P&R at 8AM this Saturday morning to do the Burma Road caches and Snail Rock! Yes, I know Harmon...We're gonna die! :P Anyhow you guys and anyone else that wants to come are welcome to join us. Miragee posted a nice map of the area here.

Green Dolphin and  I are considering visiting SCCC #1, our last SCCC find, this weekend; we haven't decided Sat or Sun.  There's a few other caches up Kitchen Creek that also need finding.

Oh . . . if you are going Sunday, and if I survive the second visit to "Snail Rock" :P , I would like to join you. I've found SCC #1, but I haven't found the Kitchen Creek ones.

Edit to add appropriate quote.

Edited by Miragee

We were wondering if anyone would be interested in a kid-oriented group cache. You know, one where the kids would have so much fun they would want to cache again. :P That would probably mean:

• No hour-long rides to the first cache
  • No 3 hour drives to get 3 miles of defcon caches

Hehe, you get the idea... Actually, my kids enjoyed the Bear Valley run - but if I were to ask them if they wanted to do it again, the answer would be "No, thanks!!" But I would like to have them meet some other geocaching kids. Even if you don't have kids, can you suggest some fun local caches that they might enjoy?

We were wondering if anyone would be interested in a kid-oriented group cache.  You know, one where the kids would have so much fun they would want to cache again.  :P  That would probably mean:

•  
  • No hour-long rides to the first cache

• No 3 hour drives to get 3 miles of defcon caches

Hehe, you get the idea...  Actually, my kids enjoyed the Bear Valley run - but if I were to ask them if they wanted to do it again, the answer would be "No, thanks!!"  But I would like to have them meet some other geocaching kids.  Even if you don't have kids, can you suggest some fun local caches that they might enjoy?

I was wondering why you guys bailed..Anyhow, I would recommend the Spy Kids Series. That would give you and your kids 4 fun caches to find without a long drive! :D

Edited by TrailGators

I really enjoyed the hike through the canyon where the Uno/Dos/Tres caches are hidden.

Uno Dos Tres (Uno).

All three caches in the series are ammo cans. It is a multi-cache with the coordinates to the second and third found in the previous cache.

There is quite a bit of walking, but the canyon and its geology was interesting.

There is a fourth cache in the canyon so you would get four smilies. :P

The caches have been out there for a while, so I'm not sure about the swag in the caches for the kids to pick from, but at least they would be opening ammo cans. :D

A bunch of us are meeting at the Lake Jennings/Hwy8 P&R at 8AM this Saturday morning to do the Burma Road caches and Snail Rock! Yes, I know Harmon...We're gonna die! :P Anyhow you guys and anyone else that wants to come are welcome to join us. Miragee posted a nice map of the area here.

Which caches are we trying for anyway? From looking at maps, it seems like there are only aboue 6 or so caches on the road. Seeing how it is paved, I don't see this taking a group more than an hour or two. Snail Rock seems like it would take a few hours. What are we doing the rest of the day? I just need to ask so I can print the proper cache pages while at work this week.

I was wondering why you guys bailed..Anyhow, I would recommend the Spy Kids Series. That would give you and your kids 4 fun caches to find without a long drive! :D

Hehe, believe me, *I* didn't want to bail after having made the drive that far! Now I'll have to do it again! :P Although, I think next time I'll just throw a motorcycle in the back of the truck :D

A bunch of us are meeting at the Lake Jennings/Hwy8 P&R at 8AM this Saturday morning to do the Burma Road caches and Snail Rock! Yes, I know Harmon...We're gonna die!  :P  Anyhow you guys and anyone else that wants to come are welcome to join us. Miragee posted a nice map of the area here.

Which caches are we trying for anyway? From looking at maps, it seems like there are only aboue 6 or so caches on the road. Seeing how it is paved, I don't see this taking a group more than an hour or two. Snail Rock seems like it would take a few hours. What are we doing the rest of the day? I just need to ask so I can print the proper cache pages while at work this week.

All these on this map (~25). Or at least as many as we can get too! :D Note there there is a road that goes up to JustFre, then to MooooSto and then to Watering....

Edited by TrailGators
A bunch of us are meeting at the Lake Jennings/Hwy8 P&R at 8AM this Saturday morning to do the Burma Road caches and Snail Rock! Yes, I know Harmon...We're gonna die!  :P  Anyhow you guys and anyone else that wants to come are welcome to join us. Miragee posted a nice map of the area here.

At least one of those on the Old Burma Road is a bit of a hike, "Nobel Cache," as is "Big Tree Down," which I have already found, but which will be a nice walk again. So, our trip up the road will take a bit of time.

On our way to, or back from, "Snail Rock," we will find "Thing Valley." If someone wants to join me to look for "Jack's Plunge," that would be great. However, it is about a mile each way, so thinking I can hike to that after everything else might be a bit overly-ambitions . . . :D

"Just Fred" is actually off our trail quite a bit. It is a very nice hike, but I don't think it fits with the "schedule" for Saturday. :D

Hey, how did I miss this thread?  Just found it last night!  Sorry I missed the Bear Valley Caches, so I thought that I would try them this Saturday.  Anyone up for it? 

Robyn

Hi Robyn, we've been hiding over here! :D Anyhow, it's nice to see you get your 7th post! :D Save those BV caches and come with us to Burma on Saturday! :D

Actually we might hit the 4 last BV caches on the other side of that darn locked gate.... :P:D

Edited by TrailGators

Weather Report for Saturday -- 28.gifMostly Cloudy

I've cleaned up the map a bit. "Nobel Cache" is a little hike, as is "Big Tree Down" and "The Lion's Den." They are all off the Old Burma Road.

Then there is "Thing Valley" on the way to "Snail Rock."

In no particular order, there are others:

"Moo" is easy and just off the road, as is "Vallecito Valley View." "Treasure Tree #6" is just off the road. "Boiling Springs" is a bit tricky, but the view of the sunset from there is fantastic. "Bug's Eye View" should probably be on the list, and maybe "High Above the Desert" as well. "Woodchuck Chips" is easy. "Where Am I" is a bit of a walk, but is a fun cache.

"Valley View" way down at the edge of the map is a Pathfinder & Snoopy cache that is a short walk from parking.

d3876451-38a5-42d1-8b7e-bb77a1a73ece.jpg

(Sure hope all those links are right . . . :P )

Weather Report for Saturday -- 28.gifMostly Cloudy

I've cleaned up the map a bit. "Nobel Cache" is a little hike, as is "Big Tree Down" and "The Lion's Den." They are all off the Old Burma Road.

Then there is "Thing Valley" on the way to "Snail Rock."

In no particular order, there are others:

"Moo" is easy and just off the road, as is "Vallecito Valley View." "Treasure Tree #6" is just off the road. "Boiling Springs" is a bit tricky, but the view of the sunset from there is fantastic. "Bug's Eye View" should probably be on the list, and maybe "High Above the Desert" as well. "Woodchuck Chips" is easy. "Where Am I" is a bit of a walk, but is a fun cache.

"Valley View" way down at the edge of the map is a Pathfinder & Snoopy cache that is a short walk from parking.

(Sure hope all those links are right . . . :P )

Might want to add A Little Different Parking Lot Cache also. It was an easy park and grab that could be done on the way in.

If anyone happens to notice, can you post a recap of what's upcoming when we flip over to the next page? I think that'll happen in about 15 posts. Basically the date, the time and the meeting place so it'll be easy to find. If I notice it, I'll do it.

:D

30.gifPartly Cloudy

I'm looking forward to seeing a whole group of intrepid cachers that morning. :D

So . . . who's calling in sick that day? :P

Finally! I'm looking forward to this one.

If anyone is up to more caching after this hike, I've a puzzle or two out that way to grab. :D

Reminder - there are three other caches on the way up the mountain (Lawson #1, 2,3)

If anyone is up to more caching after this hike, I've a puzzle or two out that way to grab. :P

Reminder - there are three other caches on the way up the mountain (Lawson #1, 2,3)

I hope I can make it down after the hike for the other caching. I will be stuck at the courthouse in the morning and don't know when I will get out though so don't wait for me.

Sounds like fun! Here's preview:

photos removed for the broadband impaired :P

Thanks for using my photos.

If I didn't work weekends, I'd join you. :D

Great photos PT! I'd love to have the hi-res version of that sunset for my desktop background! :D

Edit: Oh yeah and the second one with the trees! That's one very cool too! :D

Edited by TrailGators

One other cache further down the rough road from "Snail Rock," and not showing on the map, is Fred Canyon.

Depending on what everyone decides to do after "Snail Rock," some might want to make that drive and hike, others might be ready to head back out the road to get the easy ones next to the highway on the way home, or try to get those Bear Valley ones off Buckman Springs road . . . if there is any daylight left. :P

If anyone is up to more caching after this hike, I've a puzzle or two out that way to grab. :P

I hope I can make it down after the hike for the other caching. I will be stuck at the courthouse in the morning and don't know when I will get out though so don't wait for me.

Give us a ring when you get done! :D

Edited by TrailGators
Give us a ring when you get done!  :D

you going to make it down tomorrow?

I wish....but I have this thing called work....

I listened to the Boomtown Rats this morning singing "Tell Me Why I Don't Like Monday's."

Anyhow, I guess the plus side is that I get paid and I get to look forward ALLLLLLLLL week to caching on Saturday! :P

One other cache further down the rough road from "Snail Rock," and not showing on the map, is Fred Canyon.

Depending on what everyone decides to do after "Snail Rock," some might want to make that drive and hike, others might be ready to head back out the road to get the easy ones next to the highway on the way home, or try to get those Bear Valley ones off Buckman Springs road . . . if there is any daylight left. :D

Pack as many into the day as we possibly can......Miragee you sound like you have a real good plan.......all day caching is just lovely!!!!! Maybe we can get into the top 1000 soon!!! NOW if I could just figure out how to get those darned caches into my new palm pilot......I finally figured out how to get the caches to the GSAK. Will have to go to another thread to ask questions......It amazes me how I can help put stents into the coronary arteries, do all the monitoring of many types and yet these little things just totally baffle me.......I am glad I am good at something (my day job :P )

NOW if I could just figure out how to get those darned caches into my new palm pilot......I finally figured out how to get the caches to the GSAK. Will have to go to another thread to ask questions......

You might try that over in Banter - I do what you want to do and I'm sure others can help too.

NOW if I could just figure out how to get those darned caches into my new palm pilot......I finally figured out how to get the caches to the GSAK. Will have to go to another thread to ask questions......

You might try that over in Banter - I do what you want to do and I'm sure others can help too.

too much of a hurry asked over in the Thread but will move it to the banter section......sigh......proper etiquette or something like that.

Depending on what everyone decides to do after "Snail Rock," some might want to make that drive and hike, others might be ready to head back out the road to get the easy ones next to the highway on the way home, or try to get those Bear Valley ones off Buckman Springs road . . . if there is any daylight left. :P

Pack as many into the day as we possibly can......Miragee you sound like you have a real good plan.......all day caching is just lovely!!!!! Maybe we can get into the top 1000 soon!!! NOW if I could just figure out how to get those darned caches into my new palm pilot......I finally figured out how to get the caches to the GSAK. Will have to go to another thread to ask questions......It amazes me how I can help put stents into the coronary arteries, do all the monitoring of many types and yet these little things just totally baffle me.......I am glad I am good at something (my day job :D )

It's easy!

1) Download Cachemate.

2) Using GSAK go to File/Export/Cachemate PDB File...

3) Synch your Palm to your PC

4) Open Cachemate and import to unfound items.

That's it! :D

We needed 4 more posts to get to the next page for Ahimsa anyhow! :D

Edited by TrailGators