San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

it look like you can just cut over to the 8 from GCNXRQ -> GCNXQM -> GCNTZB (assuming you can start from the southern end

I wonder if I can get the ones south of the gate tomorrow, if possible, so I don't have to double back for those Friday, but that's probably a bit too optimistic considering how little time I'll have.

My topo map must be hosed up. It didn't show that road, that's why it routed the other way....But you are right! It looks like you can go that way on Google maps!

Since the gate is open I figured we'd start from the south gate and go out the way you just found.....But feel free to do those if you get time! At least it would confirm if that gate was actually locked or not! But think it will take you guys most of the day just to do the SCC caches...

Edited by TrailGators
it look like you can just cut over to the 8 from GCNXRQ -> GCNXQM -> GCNTZB (assuming you can start from the southern end

I wonder if I can get the ones south of the gate tomorrow, if possible, so I don't have to double back for those Friday, but that's probably a bit too optimistic considering how little time I'll have.

My topo map must be hosed up. It didn't show that road, that's why it routed the other way....But you are right! It looks like you can go that way on Google maps!

Since the gate is open I figured we'd start from the south gate and go out the way you just found.....But feel free to do those if you get time! At least it would confirm if that gate was actually locked or not! But think it will take you guys most of the day just to do the SCC caches...

The new gate I refer to is a brand-new mojo road gate spanning all the way across the road and then some. It was even hard to navigate around the end of it on foot. It's made out of very large pipe, maybe three or four inch stuff. It's configured like the road gate that's above Cibbet's Flat but much larger.

As to the bolt cutters and the chain remarks, that gate has the type of lock mechanism that's shrouded so that the lock is back inside the pipe. No chain and no hope for cutters. Believe me, I checked because I didn't want to retrace the route. Should have taken photos it seems. In fact that would be a good thing for you intrepid explorers to do while exploring that area.

About a mile before arriviing at the gate that day a Forest Service crew-truck went by me headed toward Pine Valley. They didn't slow down so I didn't get a chance to ask about the gate at Buckman Springs Road. At that point I didn't know about the new gate. Seeing the Forest Service truck encouraged me to think that the road was open all the way through. Not.

I mentioned the possibility of the southern loop being restricted to motorcycles because there's such a restriction sign posted where the trail drops steeply off of Bear Valley Road.

Should be fun to see how well I have recalled and recounted the details of the gate and other features of the loop. Don't go making me look stupid by driving right through all that territory with no gate encounters.

By the way, the loop does come out at Pine Valley right at the Pine Valley Road offramps. That's the other starting/ending point for the Bear Valley Road caches.

The Corte Madera Ranch entrance is gated with keypad security.

Edited by SD Rowdies

The new gate I refer to is a brand-new mojo road gate spanning all the way across the road and then some. It was even hard to navigate around the end of it on foot. It's made out of very large pipe, maybe three-inch stuff. It's configured like the road gate that's above Cibbet's Flat but much larger.

As to the bolt cutters and the chain remarks, that gate has the type of lock mechanism that's shrouded so that the lock is back inside the pipe. No chain and no hope for cutters. Believe me, I checked because I didn't want to retrace the route. Should have taken photos it seems. In fact that would be a good thing for you intrepid explorers to do while exploring that area.

About a mile before arriviing at the gate that day a Forest Service crew-truck went by me headed toward Pine Valley. They didn't slow down so I didn't get a chance to ask about the gate at Buckman Springs Road. At that point I didn't know about the new gate. Seeing the Forest Service truck encouraged me to think that the road was open all the way through. Not.

I mentioned the possibility of the southern loop being restricted to motorcycles because there's such a restriction sign posted where the trail drops steeply off of Bear Valley Road.

Should be fun to see how well I have recalled and recounted the details of the gate and other features of the loop. Don't go making me look stupid by driving right through all that territory with no gate encounters.

Harmon is the new gate you are refering to the second one on this list?

Edited by TrailGators

The new gate I refer to is a brand-new mojo road gate spanning all the way across the road and then some. It was even hard to navigate around the end of it on foot. It's made out of very large pipe, maybe three-inch stuff. It's configured like the road gate that's above Cibbet's Flat but much larger.

Harmon is the new gate you are refering to the second one on this list?

I believe so, the new gate is about a mile up the hill from Buckman Springs Road. Seems like my facts are holding up pretty good so you'll get a bigger payoff from the Pine Valley Road entrance.

You're right Harmon! Going from Pine Valley makes more sense. If the gate is closed we get more caches going that way. If it's open we get 4 more caches! It's strange that my topo didn't show the road hitting Pine Valley but you've confirmed it! Thanks!

Go for it gang! When you come down the offramp from I-8 turn right instead of left into Pine Valley. There's a kiosk with road and trail map at the parking area.

Edited by SD Rowdies
02bb22a5-baa6-47c0-a218-6096bff501f5.jpg

I don't understand that pie shaped part of the route on the left - it look like you can just cut over to the 8 from GCNXRQ -> GCNXQM -> GCNTZB (assuming you can start from the southern end - maybe not a good assumption). I was going to bring the family along Friday so I don't want to do anything extreme! :rolleyes:

I wonder if I can get the ones south of the gate tomorrow, if possible, so I don't have to double back for those Friday, but that's probably a bit too optimistic considering how little time I'll have. :rolleyes:

I didn't notice before, but that route is incorrect; you used to be able to go to Morena Lake form Pine Valley, but that route is fenced off. Once you get on the trail from the Pine Valley exit, you will only be able to head south until you get to Bear Valley Loop-Beware!, GCNTZM, where you want to head down to the other caches.

That SW loop is driveable (it was when I went!), there are signs above something to the effect that off-road motorcycles are allowed down there. When I went the roads were recently grated and quite smooth.

smilinglady13 was at Bear Valley Loop- Lunch Stop, GCNTZ9, on Nov 12th; she can say if she drove down there.

Edited by Chuy
:mad: i haven't been up this early in many many years. shouldn't I be sleeping in on a holiday? what has geocaching done to me. :)

Don't worry, you aren't obsessed yet - if you were, you'd have left an hour ago to pick off some parking lot micros on the way... hello, hello? duganrm? you still there? :D

Don't worry, you aren't obsessed yet - if you were, you'd have left an hour ago to pick off some parking lot micros on the way... hello, hello? duganrm? you still there? :)

on my way out now hoping to get something to drink and that parking lot micro across the freeway from the park and ride. :mad:

You're right Harmon! Going from Pine Valley makes more sense. If the gate is closed we get more caches going that way. If it's open we get 4 more caches! It's strange that my topo didn't show the road hitting Pine Valley but you've confirmed it! Thanks!

I am going along tomorrow and have done this route twice within the last 2 weeks.......the gate is not locked down by the freeway but was locked up on top but there are many caches to get leaving from the Pine Valley exit and it is a very pretty drive.....the views are awesome!!!!!!

:mad: i haven't been up this early in many many years. shouldn't I be sleeping in on a holiday? what has geocaching done to me. :)

Has given you a new life in the outside and a new set of friends!!!! I have only lived in the San Diego agrea for 3 years and have discovered more this year than I have in the last 2 thanks to geo caching.......well and my new jeep!!!!

See ya in a while early bird!!! :D

:D i haven't been up this early in many many years. shouldn't I be sleeping in on a holiday? what has geocaching done to me.  :P

Don't worry, you aren't obsessed yet - if you were, you'd have left an hour ago to pick off some parking lot micros on the way... hello, hello? duganrm? you still there? :)

YIKES I must be obessesed as i am hitting a couple near me before i head to the park n ride... :mad:

I didn't notice before, but that route is incorrect; you used to be able to go to Morena Lake form Pine Valley, but that route is fenced off.  Once you get on the trail from the Pine Valley exit, you will only be able to head south until you get to Bear Valley Loop-Beware!, GCNTZM, where you want to head down to the other caches.

That SW loop is driveable (it was when I went!), there are signs above something to the effect that off-road motorcycles are allowed down there.  When I went the roads were recently grated and quite smooth.

smilinglady13 was at Bear Valley Loop- Lunch Stop, GCNTZ9, on Nov 12th; she can say if she drove down there.

I corrected the map.

For some reason Garmin topo doesn't have that road so I used City Select and then switched to the topo.

It must be a city street! :mad:

Anyhow the route is ~14 miles if the gate is open....

dbade249-02ec-4c60-9443-111880e0b316.jpg

Edited by TrailGators

Hey, it was great to meet y'all today - Duganrm, B.R.A, Miragee, SmilingLady13, Chuy, Dan-oh, PassingWind, DHSundance, etc. Looks like I got 18 caches today and it's barely noon! :D Looking forward to another adventure tomorrow!

Edited by ahimsa
Hey, it was great to meet y'all today - Duganrm, B.R.A, Miragee, SmilingLady13, Chuy, Dan-oh, PassingWind, etc.  Looks like I got 18 caches today and it's barely noon!  :D  Looking forward to another adventure tomorrow!

THANKS TO ALL WHO CAME ALONG........are you up for another outing in a week after recovering from these two (todays and tomorrows)? On the way home we hit the Lions Den. Miragee says there are many caches along the Old Burma Road.....and a what a great road it is.........so we came up with a plan........Dec 3rd (Saturday) meet at the Lake Jennings park n ride at 8 am or the Desconsa( MOst likely spelled wrong) park and ride at 830 am to do the old Burma road caches. the best part is Miragee has offered to be the official guide to the Snail Rock for those brave enough to face it after finding the Old Burma Road caches. Says she has a short cut......some of us are stewpid enough to believe this!!! Hopefully others will decide to join the fun

Edited by smilinglady13
Man, it must be nice to have a 4-day weekend after Turkeyday! Hope ya'all have fun & bag a few for us poor working slobs. 

No kiddin'...I am working all weekend and away from home. Oh well. :D

Does anybody want to replace the Buckman Springs (GC78F0) cache while you are out in the area? My kids always check on that one while I am dumping the tanks. They have "found" it at least 4 times. I don't mind adopting the cache for this reason. I was just thinking since so many folks will be in the area....

The owners look like they haven't been active in a looooonnnnngg time.

Found the old coffee can, and that's it! Placed a new waterproof log and ziplock bag in the can and re-hide a bit better. Enjoy

Boy . . . do I have a lot of email. :D I forgot I had all those SCC Caches on my watchlist . . . :D

That was great fun today. Good to see everyone again and meet new people.

PassingWind . . . the check is in the mail . . . :D Unless you are going to be there tomorrow . . .then I'll just bring the cash. :D

And, for any of you who are going, put the coordinates for this cache, Instant Cash, in your GPSrs. I will replace the apparently-missing cache so all of you can log it tomorrow . . . you wouldn't want to drive all that way again for one silly micro . . . :D

To all of you fine Geocachers that visited the Sandy Creek Cowboy Caches today ... b'less yo're little pea-pickin' hearts. Y'all made us ol' cowboys mighty proud.

As you saw those cowboy caches don't get a lot of visits. Today has to be th' banner day for number of log entries. That makes it all worth while.

So y'all cheated on number twelve did y'? Shame on y'all.

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

Edited by SD Rowdies
Reminder for the Bear Valley jaunt:

Friday: 8:00 AM at the park & ride off of I-8 and Lake Jennings

I hope the ride isn't as wild as the elevation graph indicates! I don't want to scare my kids! :D

AINT BAD AT ALL

The scale is exagerated greatly on the Y-axis by about 15x! The steepest part we drop 100 feet over a 1000 foot stretch which isn't bad at all! You should have seen "Hell's Revenge" in Moab! :D

For those without an Adventure Pass, tomorrow, being the last Saturday of the month, is Adv-Pass-waiver day; it would be a good day to hit the Lagunas. If I can get out of bed early enough, GD Ginger and may go to the Tax Freedom Cache. It's in Alpine, so the drive will not be too bad.

EDIT: It appears the Anderson Truck Trail is closed, so, may do Secret Canyon instead; that one requires an Adv-Pass, except tomorrow.

Edited by Chuy
This is what P.T. and I used for the Bear Valley caches:

PTCruiserJeep.jpg

Not that I necessarily recommend it . . . :(

I have to say, after having driven most of Bear Valley Road today, that I find this a bit hard to believe! How much of that cruiser did you leave behind?! :lol:

This is what P.T. and I used for the Bear Valley caches:

PTCruiserJeep.jpg

Not that I necessarily recommend it . . . :mmraspberry:

I have to say, after having driven most of Bear Valley Road today, that I find this a bit hard to believe! How much of that cruiser did you leave behind?! :drama:

Thang is you can pick it up and carry it over the ruts and potholes.

B.R.A, Trailgators, Miragee, SmilingLady13, Duganrm & Jess and the four Ahimsas (did I miss anyone?) made the Bear Valley run today. It was our first off-pavement experience in our truck - what fun (for me!)! The family burned out on the 3-hour jarring ride :mmraspberry: and after the umpteenth decon container :cool: so we turned around at Bearly Halve (only took an hour to get back!). The rest of the event team went on to (hopefullly) complete the loop. We saw PassingWind and PW Jr. heading down the trail as we headed back. Saw a jeep that looked like Dan-oh's a bit further down the road, but wasn't sure if it was.

Ok, for you 4WD afficionados - how does the road being contemplated for next weekend (Old Burma Road) compare to Bear Valley? Preferably from someone who doesn't feel comfortable driving a PT Cruiser on those roads! :drama: Hehe, I was expecting something like the road through Sandy Creek ("sure, you can drive a PT Cruiser on it") - boy, was my family surprised! :santa: I think they were happily surprised to know our truck can traverse that stuff - considering I only hit the skidplate once! :santa: (Harmon, good point about picking th' thangs up - can't do that with our truck)

Thanks for organizing this - I really enjoyed it! Hopefully someday I can complete the series - maybe when the gate is found unlocked!

B.R.A, Trailgators, Miragee, SmilingLady13, Duganrm & Jess and the four Ahimsas (did I miss anyone?) made the Bear Valley run today.  It was our first off-pavement experience in our truck - what fun (for me!)!  The family burned out on the 3-hour jarring ride :mmraspberry:  and after the umpteenth decon container  :cool:  so we turned around at Bearly Halve (only took an hour to get back!).  The rest of the event team went on to (hopefullly) complete the loop.  We saw PassingWind and PW Jr. heading down the trail as we headed back.  Saw a jeep that looked like Dan-oh's a bit further down the road, but wasn't sure if it was.

Ok, for you 4WD afficionados - how does the road being contemplated for next weekend (Old Burma Road) compare to Bear Valley?  Preferably from someone who doesn't feel comfortable driving a PT Cruiser on those roads!  :drama:  Hehe, I was expecting something like the road through Sandy Creek ("sure, you can drive a PT Cruiser on it") - boy, was my family surprised!  :santa:  I think they were happily surprised to know our truck can traverse that stuff - considering I only hit the skidplate once!  :santa:  (Harmon, good point about picking th' thangs up - can't do that with our truck)

Thanks for organizing this - I really enjoyed it!  Hopefully someday I can complete the series - maybe when the gate is found unlocked!

Burma Road for seesies. A lovely drive along a mostly paved and scenic country road. Go for it.

Hope you got a few Bear Valley Road dents and scratches in your new truck so's you can claim that you drive a cowboy truck. Guess I forgot to mention ... Bear Valley loop not for seesies.

If I'm not mistaken Jess already made that run, and Miragee for sure.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Hope you got a few Bear Valley Road dents and scratches in your new truck so's you can claim that you drive a cowboy truck.

I got a nice'un 'n th' skidplate coverin' th' front diff'rential, th' tires look like they gotta good workout and I did stick mah mirrors in th' shrubbery a coupla times t' see what might be lurking in thair. The rest of th' invent'ry will have t' wait 'til I can actually see th' paint! :mmraspberry:

Hope you got a few Bear Valley Road dents and scratches in your new truck so's you can claim that you drive a cowboy truck.

I got a nice'un 'n th' skidplate coverin' th' front diff'rential, th' tires look like they gotta good workout and I did stick mah mirrors in th' shrubbery a coupla times t' see what might be lurking in thair. The rest of th' invent'ry will have t' wait 'til I can actually see th' paint! :mmraspberry:

Yeehaw! ride 'em cowboy.

. . . Ok, for you 4WD afficionados - how does the road being contemplated for next weekend (Old Burma Road) compare to Bear Valley? . . .

The Old Burma Road is wonderful. Single-lane most of the way and, unbelievably, it is paved! I can drive it no problem in my Matrix. :mmraspberry:

The road into the Snail Rock trailhead . . . yes, that cache is on the schedule for next Saturday as well . . . is negotiable by passenger car, if you drive very slowly and carefully, so your truck will be fine . . . if you are up for that challenge. :drama:

Man, it must be nice to have a 4-day weekend after Turkeyday! Hope ya'all have fun & bag a few for us poor working slobs. 

No kiddin'...I am working all weekend and away from home. Oh well. :mmraspberry:

Does anybody want to replace the Buckman Springs (GC78F0) cache while you are out in the area? My kids always check on that one while I am dumping the tanks. They have "found" it at least 4 times. I don't mind adopting the cache for this reason. I was just thinking since so many folks will be in the area....

Found the old coffee can, and that's it! Placed a new waterproof log and ziplock bag in the can and re-hide a bit better. Enjoy

Thanks for checking on this one. I will replace the coffee can in the next month or so.

No kiddin'...I am working all weekend and away from home. Oh well. :mmraspberry:

Thanks for checking on this one. I will replace the coffee can in the next month or so.

That old coffee can is the original container. Problem was with the plastic lid which I had to replace four times due to weathering and tearing. I made a TB from the first lid, Good to the Last Drop TB, and it made it to Germany and Belgium. The last time it was grabbed a cleaning lady of the finder threw it away.

The cache owners are from the Phoenix area and always thanked me by email when I dropped by to renew that cache. Now I don't drive by Buckman Springs each day so it will be great to have others looking after it.

The original placement was nestled under the cactus toward the right rear of the growth. It was placed so that one had a good chance of experiencing thorns.

The Old Burma Road is wonderful. Single-lane most of the way and, unbelievably, it is paved! I can drive it no problem in my Matrix. :mmraspberry:

What caches are along it besides it's namesake? Are they more of a hike from the road than the ones today? I'm not worried about whether the truck can handle it - it's whether my family handle it! :drama: Although, I suspect it might be some time before I convince them to join me again on any back country cache events! :santa:

What caches are along it besides it's namesake? Are they more of a hike from the road than the ones today? I'm not worried about whether the truck can handle it - it's whether my family handle it! :drama: Although, I suspect it might be some time before I convince them to join me again on any back country cache events! :santa:

It's a "paved" backcountry road that will link-up with the sunrise highway to the north. Highly recommend and bring the family, me and PW son had a blast.

PassingWind

We did Bear Valley Loop

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...&log=y&decrypt=

Now archived, this was before the cache explosion!!

Could not make the mass visit today but am enjoying reading about everyone elses finds.

I see there is a new cache here now and will put it on my watchlist!!

April 26, 2003 by Silver Horde (346 found)

I only printed this cache out for fun but when S saw how close we were, he decided to go for it. We don't have 4wd and this we knew might be a problem, but S put our van into low gear and we slowly but surely made our way up the mountain! It must be one of the slowest white knuckle rides in town! Things got a bit hairy in a couple of places and I felt I might have to lean out (as you do on a boat) to keep all the wheels on the ground but I closed my eyes instead and we made it. Parked the van and decided to walk the last 500 yards or so, our nerves couldn't take any more and we still had the return trip to do. Fantastic views of Buckmans Springs. Luckily we found the cache easily, signed the huge logbook and left a compass combo (I think).

Now for the trip down. This didn't seem as bad even though we met a jeep coming up, fortunately at a slightly wider part of the track. I expect they were surprised to see a Town & Country Dodge Caravan coming towards them!! Thanks for the terrific adventure!!

ttfn

Jane

What caches are along it besides it's namesake? Are they more of a hike from the road than the ones today? I'm not worried about whether the truck can handle it - it's whether my family handle it! :santa: Although, I suspect it might be some time before I convince them to join me again on any back country cache events! :santa:

Many of them are drive up caches. One is a short walk to a beautiful viewpoint. Another is a longer walk (Big Tree Down). Another is to Nobel cache, which I haven't found yet. I think that is only .3 of a mile or so.

Do a PQ with "Big Tree Down" as your center point. That should include more caches than we can possibly finish in a day.

Snail Rock is .7 mile hike along the Pacific Crest Trail, followed by 100 feet through the thicket, for anyone who is willing and who is properly equipped with ripstop nylon jacket, gaiters, gloves, hat, etc. :drama:

It's a "paved" backcountry road that will link-up with the sunrise highway to the north. Highly recommend and bring the family, me and PW son had a blast.

PassingWind

Thought you might like some history behind the reason that Pine Creek Road is nicknamed “Old Burma Road.”

The present-day Bible Conference Center that is situated on Pine Creek Road in Pine Valley occupies the remaining buildings of old Camp Pine Valley that served the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) during the 1930s.

There’s a fine stone monument at the conference center to commemorate the young men of Company 901 that occupied the camp. The young men called their organization “Roosevelt’s Tree Army” and, ironically, “Christ’s Chosen Children.”

During WWII the U.S. Marines converted the old camp to a mountain training facility. In the training program the Marines used Pine Creek Road and other mountain roads as simulated Burma Roads that they drove trucks along during the night without lights. After training those Marines were transferred to Burma and drove cargo trucks along the actual Burma Road during the military campaign that penetrated into occupied China. One can see the old roadbed in a few places where it crosses present day Pine Creek Road.

The training period lasted eight to ten weeks and there were about 110 personnel at the camp each week. I suggest that the nickname “Old Burma Road” is an artifact of their training program.

While you're at it check the FTF log entry for the Moo Stopper cache. Some days are like that for a cowboy. Yeehaw!

Edited by SD Rowdies
. . . How about tackling "Lawson 4" Tuesday, November 29 or Wednesday, November 30 . . . weather permitting.

LawsonPeakLateLight.jpg

Okay, the time for this one is getting closer. :mmraspberry:

It's too late to get in shape for the hike, but it isn't too late to arrange to take the day off from work or whatever else you would normally be doing on a Tuesday morning.

So far it is P.T and Gobolts! and Tigger's Mango and maybe duganrm and possibly Duncan!, oh, and me . . . :drama:

Who else . . . ?

Wow thanks for the history on the Old Burma road......I was wondering how it got its name.

If anyone would like to join Miragee and myself we are going out to the desert.......S2.....from Ocotilla and I-8 mainly the Materous Wash (of course spelled wrong) We are leaving the Descansco ( did this get close to right?) park and ride off the I-8 at about 730am. All are welcome.....another 4 wheel drive would be best. I have my jeep with room for 2 more.

Will be back in town by 530 pm or maybe a little earlier.....Come along and join the fun.

The Bear Valley caches were absolutely fun!!!!!!!! that trail AINT BAD.....should have driven the ones in ORegon.....makes this thing look seesie.

Wow thanks for the history on the Old Burma road......I was wondering how it got its name.

If anyone would like to join Miragee and myself we are going out to the desert.......S2.....from Ocotilla and I-8 mainly the Materous Wash (of course spelled wrong) We are leaving the Descansco ( did this get close to right?) park and ride off the I-8 at about 730am. All are welcome.....another 4 wheel drive would be best. I have my jeep with room for 2 more.

Will be back in town by 530 pm or maybe a little earlier.....Come along and join the fun.

The Bear Valley caches were absolutely fun!!!!!!!! that trail AINT BAD.....should have driven the ones in ORegon.....makes this thing look seesie.

S-2 huh?

Keep a sharp eye out for corpses. That way you might get to meet Deputy Hamm and his handy-dandy pliers.

If anyone would like to join Miragee and myself we are going out to the desert.......S2.....from Ocotilla  and I-8 mainly the Materous Wash (of course spelled wrong) We are leaving the Descansco ( did this get close to right?) park and ride off the I-8 at about 730am.  All are welcome.....another 4 wheel drive would be best.  I have my jeep with room for 2 more.

S-2 huh?

Keep a sharp eye out for corpses. That way you might get to meet Deputy Hamm and his handy-dandy pliers.

We are going to the other end thank you very much!!!!

I was wondering if ya'll know the history of the buildings by the Ranger and Rattler geocache in Bear Valley? I love old things like this and have been pondering the history for a week.......please enlighten me.

If anyone would like to join Miragee and myself we are going out to the desert.......S2.....from Ocotilla  and I-8 mainly the Materous Wash (of course spelled wrong) We are leaving the Descansco ( did this get close to right?) park and ride off the I-8 at about 730am.  All are welcome.....another 4 wheel drive would be best.  I have my jeep with room for 2 more.

S-2 huh?

We are going to the other end thank you very much!!!!

I was wondering if ya'll know the history of the buildings by the Ranger and Rattler geocache in Bear Valley? I love old things like this and have been pondering the history for a week.......please enlighten me.

Maybe I do, but let me get back to y' on that. Got t' double-check my facts with an ol' fellow I know.

wish I could go but I actually have to get a vehicle running before work on Monday. still gotta go back to that place...