San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

One other cache further down the rough road from "Snail Rock," and not showing on the map, is Fred Canyon.

Depending on what everyone decides to do after "Snail Rock," some might want to make that drive and hike, others might be ready to head back out the road to get the easy ones next to the highway on the way home, or try to get those Bear Valley ones off Buckman Springs road . . . if there is any daylight left. :)

Pack as many into the day as we possibly can......Miragee you sound like you have a real good plan.......all day caching is just lovely!!!!! Maybe we can get into the top 1000 soon!!! NOW if I could just figure out how to get those darned caches into my new palm pilot......I finally figured out how to get the caches to the GSAK. Will have to go to another thread to ask questions......It amazes me how I can help put stents into the coronary arteries, do all the monitoring of many types and yet these little things just totally baffle me.......I am glad I am good at something (my day job :lol: )

It's easy!

1) Download Cachemate.

2) Using GSAK go to File/Export/Cachemate PDB File...

3) Synch your Palm to your PC

4) Open Cachemate and import to unfound items.

That's it! :mad:

We needed 4 more posts to get to the next page for Ahimsa anyhow! :huh:

Thanks I will try this tomorrow when my brains are not circling the drain.......sleep sleep I need sleep........hopefully this will help Ahimsa in his quest for a new page

Weather Report for Saturday --  28.gifMostly Cloudy

I've cleaned up the map a bit. "Nobel Cache" is a little hike, as is "Big Tree Down" and "The Lion's Den." They are all off the Old Burma Road.

Then there is "Thing Valley" on the way to "Snail Rock."

In no particular order, there are others:

"Moo" is easy and just off the road, as is "Vallecito Valley View." "Treasure Tree #6" is just off the road. "Boiling Springs" is a bit tricky, but the view of the sunset from there is fantastic. "Bug's Eye View" should probably be on the list, and maybe "High Above the Desert" as well. "Woodchuck Chips" is easy. "Where Am I" is a bit of a walk, but is a fun cache.

"Valley View" way down at the edge of the map is a Pathfinder & Snoopy cache that is a short walk from parking.

d3876451-38a5-42d1-8b7e-bb77a1a73ece.jpg

(Sure hope all those links are right . . . :) )

Meet at the Lake Jennings P&R this Saturday at 8AM...

Be there, Aloha! :lol:

Oh yeah...Book 'em Dan-oh! :mad:

Edited by TrailGators

Be there, Aloha!  :) 

Oh yeah...Book 'em Dan-oh!  :lol:

Actually there is one event tomorrow, but it's probably too late to remind anyone of that one! Soo....

Meet at the Lake Jennings P&R this Saturday at 8 AM...

Be there, Aloha!  :) 

Oh yeah...Book 'em Dan-oh!  :lol:

Actually there is one event tomorrow, but it's probably too late to remind anyone of that one! Soo....

Be sure to download the 4 Bear valley ones on the other side of the fence got ta finish that loop

We're baaaaack!!! We had a great time on Lawson 4. duganrm, Tigger's Mango, Gobolts!, Sonrisa, Princess Toadstool and I had a challenging hike.

And . . . now I know where there is a White Jeep. :huh:

My GPSr tried to commit suicide when I was standing on the edge of a huge boulder. It leaped out of my pack, bounced a few times, and disappeared into the chapparal far, far below. Amazingly, it was still working when we, even more amazingly, found it.

It's maximum speed on the hike was 212 mph . . . :)

It was great, great fun! :)

:ph34r::rolleyes::unsure:

cbf824bd-9e7d-42cc-ab76-c3c84dd45906.jpg

There we all are on the top . . .

And, see that huge boulder on the face of the peak . . . the one that is about 200 feet high to the right of Princess Toadstool . . .

4e47c5b6-6ed7-4249-a7e5-fd7414d31033.jpg

That is the one my GPSr bounced down . . . :ph34r:

My trusty, previously new-looking Garmin Vista C now has some battle scars from its little adventure . . . :)

:ph34r::rolleyes::unsure:

cbf824bd-9e7d-42cc-ab76-c3c84dd45906.jpg

There we all are on the top . . .

And, see that huge boulder on the face of the peak . . . the one that is about 200 feet high to the right of Princess Toadstool . . .

4e47c5b6-6ed7-4249-a7e5-fd7414d31033.jpg

That is the one my GPSr bounced down . . . :ph34r:

My trusty, previously new-looking Garmin Vista C now has some battle scars from its little adventure . . . :)

Congrats to you all for getting those caches. I thought of you guys often during the day and wished I could have gone along. I am waiting for Saturday but if I can get this darned Palm loaded correctly I might see if anyone wants to go find some Friday eveing around 6pm.........but i have to get this palm right first.....see my problem in the banter thread.

Looks like you had fun. I am sure glad we didnt drop anything on Saturday in all the wind or we would never have found it!!!!!! Looking forward to Saturday.

My GPSr tried to commit suicide when I was standing on the edge of a huge boulder. It leaped out of my pack, bounced a few times, and disappeared into the chapparal far, far below. Amazingly, it was still working when we, even more amazingly, found it.

It's maximum speed on the hike was 212 mph . . . :(

Inquiring minds want to know what your exact were words right when your GPSr took the dive?

It's maximum speed on the hike was 212 mph . . . :(

Inquiring minds want to know what your exact were words right when your GPSr took the dive?

"Happy happy joy joy!" :)

I was the only one standing nearby when it happened and I can't remember what she said. I do remember asking her what it was that went over the edge.

The last I saw of it rolling away, it still had the cover on it but when GoBolts! found it at the bottom, the case and cover were apart.

I was the only one standing nearby when it happened and I can't remember what she said. I do remember asking her what it was that went over the edge.

The last I saw of it rolling away, it still had the cover on it but when GoBolts! found it at the bottom, the case and cover were apart.

I am so glad that ya'll found it!!!!!

CHRISTMAS AT DEATH VALLEY

I am going to Death Valley for Christmas Dec 24 to 26th. (too expensive to fly home, takes forever on plane and a century by vehicle for the 3 days) I am camping at Furnace Creek mixed area so just holler if you would like to come with. If you want your own spot they have a lot of reservations available at this point but i am told they fill the closer it gets to Christmas. Geocaching and exploring are the reasons I am going..........started in Oct but need to get more DV caches logged :(

"Happy happy joy joy!" B)

"Good thing I bought that at REI!" ;)

:D Good one . . . :huh:(Too bad I didn't buy it at REI . . .)

Actually, I remained very calm . . . just ask duganrm . . . B)

And, considering where I was, it is a good thing I didn't try to reach for it before it went over the edge . . . ;)

I will be forever indebted to Gobolts! for venturing into the chaparral and finding it, and for duganrm for calmly making the necessary visual observation of its likely landing location. B)

"Happy happy joy joy!" B)

"Good thing I bought that at REI!" ;)

:D Good one . . . :huh:(Too bad I didn't buy it at REI . . .)

Actually, I remained very calm . . . just ask duganrm . . . B)

And, considering where I was, it is a good thing I didn't try to reach for it before it went over the edge . . . ;)

I will be forever indebted to Gobolts! for venturing into the chaparral and finding it, and for duganrm for calmly making the necessary visual observation of its likely landing location. B)

So glad it is proudly returned to owner without need of emergency care.......so it can live to GPS again on Saturday.

Okay, does everyone have their "Snail Rock" kit ready? B)

There is still time to buy anything you don't have. ;)

• Nylon windbreaker with elastic at the wrists B)
  • Durable pants you won't care about if they get ripped or torn :)
  • Some sort of small-brimmed hat to protect your head from sharp, pointy sticks. :D
  • Safety goggles to protect your eyes (okay, sunglasses will work) :D
  • Gloves ;)
  • Gaiters (or duct tape) :huh:
  • Extra batteries for the GPSr . . . B)
  • Camera to record the event :)
  • Nice swag for the cache . . . to lure future finders B)

Mechanic's coveralls might be a practical option . . . ;)

There is still time to buy anything you don't have. ;)

• Durable pants you won't care about if they get ripped or torn :)
  • Some sort of small-brimmed hat to protect your head from sharp, pointy sticks. :D
  • Safety goggles to protect your eyes (okay, sunglasses will work) :D
  • Gloves ;)
  • Gaiters (or duct tape) :huh:
  • Camera to record the event :)

Mechanic's coveralls might be a practical option . . . ;)

Good thing it is cooler weather or we would over heat

!!!!!!!!! And we are not going to die!!!!!

There is still time to buy anything you don't have. :D

•  

• Durable pants you won't care about if they get ripped or torn :D

• Some sort of small-brimmed hat to protect your head from sharp, pointy sticks. B)

• Safety goggles to protect your eyes (okay, sunglasses will work) ;)

• Gloves B)

• Gaiters (or duct tape) ;)

• Extra batteries for the GPSr . . . :huh:

• Camera to record the event ;)

Mechanic's coveralls might be a practical option . . . :)

* Windbreaker - Nah!

* Old pants - Check!

* Baseball cap - Check!

* Sunglasses - Check!

* Gloves - Check!

* Duct tape - Nah!

* Batteries - Check!

* Camera - Check!

* Swag - Check!

Hey, you forgot to say chainsaw! :)

Devhead is bringing that!

Edit: typo B)

Edited by TrailGators
Okay, does everyone have their "Snail Rock" kit ready? :huh:

There is still time to buy anything you don't have. B)

•  

• Some sort of small-brimmed hat to protect your head from sharp, pointy sticks. ;)

• Gloves :)

• Camera to record the event :D

Mechanic's coveralls might be a practical option . . . B)

* Windbreaker - Nah!

* Old pants - Check!

* Baseball cap - Check!

* Sunglasses - Check!

* Gloves - Check!

* Duct tape - Nah!

* Batteries - Check!

* Camera - Check!

* Swag - Check!

Devhead is bring that!

Yep, y'all gonna die. Don't forget your organ-donor card.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Okay, does everyone have their "Snail Rock" kit ready? :huh:

There is still time to buy anything you don't have. B)

•  

• Some sort of small-brimmed hat to protect your head from sharp, pointy sticks. ;)

• Gloves :)

• Camera to record the event :D

Mechanic's coveralls might be a practical option . . . B)

* Windbreaker - Nah!

* Old pants - Check!

* Baseball cap - Check!

* Sunglasses - Check!

* Gloves - Check!

* Duct tape - Nah!

* Batteries - Check!

* Camera - Check!

* Swag - Check!

Devhead is bring that!

Yep, y'all gonna die.

Short sweet and to the point...........NOPE!!!!!! WE AINT

How close can you get to Snail Rock [via vehicle] from I8 on Kitchen Creek Rd? On La Posta/Thing Rd ?

Chuy,

The normal access would be from Sunset Highway to Morris Ranch Road. There's a dirt road that I followed to get within 0.1 mile from the cache. That was way back when Carpenter and I did the FTF. From where I finally parked one would walk east just a bit to hit the PCT and then go north on the PCT a short distance to the entry point into the Chamise thicket. The ladies built a rock cairn to mark the entry point into the thicket so there goes the neighborhood. ;)

Of course any other road such as Kitchen Creek Road will eventually get you there assuming that the road gates are open.

Harmon

How close can you get to Snail Rock [via vehicle] from I8 on Kitchen Creek Rd?  On La Posta/Thing Rd ?

Now, now. ;) Don't you think the group should do it the way P.T. and I did it . . . :D

It is only .7 to Snail Rock from a "parking spot" on Thing Valley Road and it really is a nice walk with several scenic vistas along the trail. That is near the trail we have to take up to "Thing Valley" anyway . . . B)

How close can you get to Snail Rock [via vehicle] from I8 on Kitchen Creek Rd?  On La Posta/Thing Rd ?

Now, now. ;) Don't you think the group should do it the way P.T. and I did it . . . B)

It is only .7 to Snail Rock from a "parking spot" on Thing Valley Road and it really is a nice walk with several scenic vistas along the trail. That is near the trail we have to take up to "Thing Valley" anyway . . . B)

Works for me.....the more caches the merrier.........:D

Chuy,

The normal access would be from Sunset Highway to Morris Ranch Road. There's a dirt road that I followed to get within 0.1 mile from the cache. That was way back when Carpenter and I did the FTF. From where I finally parked one would walk east just a bit to hit the PCT and then go north on the PCT a short distance to the entry point into the Chamise thicket. The ladies built a rock cairn to mark the entry point into the thicket so there goes the neighborhood. :unsure:

Of course any other road such as Kitchen Creek Road will eventually get you there assuming that the road gates are open.

Harmon

The Forest Service website indicates there is no access between I8 and Sunrise off Kitchen Creek and La Postal/Thing. I'm trying to decide whether its worth riding my bike up from the south so can I get some remaining caches down there as I have most on Laguna Mtn.

"Kitchen Creek Road: Open from Sunrise Highway south to the midpoint gate which is locked. Closed from midpoint south to Cibbetts Flat Campground. The campground may be accessed from I-8 on Kitchen Creek Rd."

Where exactly is this gate? On Fred Canyon Rd?

"Thing Valley Road is closed to north bound traffic at junction of Thing Valley Road and Fred Canyon Road"

This gate appears to be 1.4 miles from Snail Rock. How would the ascent be from the gate?

Chuy,

The normal access would be from Sunset Highway to Morris Ranch Road. There's a dirt road that I followed to get within 0.1 mile from the cache. That was way back when Carpenter and I did the FTF. From where I finally parked one would walk east just a bit to hit the PCT and then go north on the PCT a short distance to the entry point into the Chamise thicket. The ladies built a rock cairn to mark the entry point into the thicket so there goes the neighborhood. :lol:

Harmon

The Forest Service website indicates there is no access between I8 and Sunrise off Kitchen Creek and La Postal/Thing. I'm trying to decide whether its worth riding my bike up from the south so can I get some remaining caches down there as I have most on Laguna Mtn.

"Kitchen Creek Road: Open from Sunrise Highway south to the midpoint gate which is locked. Closed from midpoint south to Cibbetts Flat Campground. The campground may be accessed from I-8 on Kitchen Creek Rd."

Where exactly is this gate? On Fred Canyon Rd?

"Thing Valley Road is closed to north bound traffic at junction of Thing Valley Road and Fred Canyon Road"

This gate appears to be 1.4 miles from Snail Rock. How would the ascent be from the gate?

Chuy,

Just beyond the entrance to Cibbett's Flat campground Thing Valley Road does a one-eighty to come back south around the ridge above the campground and then turns one-eighty northward once again. That road gate you mentioned is just after the first one-eighty turn. It's the gate I've mentioned recently that resembles the new gate up on Bear Valley Road only smaller.

If you turn into Cibbet's Flat and procede eastward beyond the camp you will climb a decent dirt road, Fred Canyon Road I should think, for a short distance and then encounter the PCT and a large parking area right at the PCT. It's also possible to encounter a locked gate along that section of road.

My recollection is, unless something has changed, that there are two caches along the PCT southward from the parking area in question back toward Kitchen Creek Road. The first one is quite close to the parking area but was never well hidden so may not be there now.

As to Fred Canyon Road, best bet is that the northernmost gate will be locked and trying to bypass that gate isn't a good idea as one can see from the van that's been stuck in the creek near the gate for many years now.

Hiking the PCT from the parking area to Snail Rock isn't all that bad, nothing like the grades that head down into the desert from the mountains. You INS guys will see it as a walk in the park.

It's great that you will be coming in from the south because you will be there just in time to recover the bodies of the northern group. If one or two of them survive then please mention to them that I told 'em so. :unsure:

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Just to let you all know that there is an upcoming event on the 16th! Team Reid will be hosting a little walk around Poway to view some of our Christmas lights. If I was computer saavy, I'd be able to link GCRGWB for you to check out! Guess you have to do it the old-fashioned way! Hope to see everyone there!

Robyn & Kathy

Just to let you all know that there is an upcoming event on the 16th!  Team Reid will be hosting a little walk around Poway to view some of our Christmas lights.  If I was computer saavy, I'd be able to link GCRGWB for you to check out!  Guess you have to do it the old-fashioned way!  Hope to see everyone there!

Robyn & Kathy

Sounds like fun!

Hi Robyn just hit the "http://" button then paste the link; hit enter; then type what you want it to say (I used the word "fun" to link to your new event cache above); and hit enter! :unsure:

Edited by TrailGators
Just to let you all know that there is an upcoming event on the 16th! Team Reid will be hosting a little walk around Poway to view some of our Christmas lights. If I was computer saavy, I'd be able to link GCRGWB for you to check out! Guess you have to do it the old-fashioned way! Hope to see everyone there!

Robyn & Kathy

soooo, what caches are along the route we will be walking? :unsure:

Just to let you all know that there is an upcoming event on the 16th!  Team Reid will be hosting a little walk around Poway to view some of our Christmas lights.  If I was computer saavy, I'd be able to link GCRGWB for you to check out!  Guess you have to do it the old-fashioned way!  Hope to see everyone there!

Robyn & Kathy

For future reference, you can just use this (plug in whatever gc code you want):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCRGWB

We need to beat the last few loggers with a rubber chicken… :lol:

Yeah, and their jokes weren't even funny! :unsure:

P.S. Based on Duncan!'s log, it looks like the parking lot will be closed after sunset - this will be interesting! I hope there's a lot of street parking! :lol:

We need to beat the last few loggers with a rubber chicken… :lol:

Yeah, and their jokes weren't even funny! :unsure:

P.S. Based on Duncan!'s log, it looks like the parking lot will be closed after sunset - this will be interesting! I hope there's a lot of street parking! :lol:

Most didn't even post a joke!

I read back to Duncan's joke and his joke was funny! :lol:

A grasshopper walks into a bar and the bartender says, "Hey, we've got a drink named after you!" So the grasshopper says, "You've got a drink named STEVE??!!"

There is a gate at Fred Canyon Road that was closed on Thing Valley Road when we drove in from the north. If you take Thing Valley road to the junction of Morris Ranch Road (to the right as you head south), Morris Ranch curves slightly northwest then turns south again to get you very close to Snail Rock (within .10 mi?). However, you WILL need a high-clearance 4-Wheel drive vehicle in this section of Morris Ranch road as it has been washed out and as some very deep ruts from the storms last winter. Morris Ranch Road is blocked as private property if you try and access it from Sunrise Highway going past the observatory. Miragee and I checked all this out the day prior to our Snail Rock adventure.

Miragee's plan to walk the 0.7 along the PCT is the best plan. The trial is very level with little elevation change and with the group gabbing you'll be at Snail Rock in no time to enjoy the fun :unsure:

Note that Google Earth had the roads named differently than MapSource (I'm using MapSource reference for the roads)

There is a gate at Fred Canyon Road that was closed on Thing Valley Road when we drove in from the north. If you take Thing Valley road to the junction of Morris Ranch Road (to the right as you head south), Morris Ranch curves slightly northwest then turns south again to get you very close to Snail Rock (within .10 mi?). However, you WILL need a high-clearance 4-Wheel drive vehicle in this section of Morris Ranch road as it has been washed out and as some very deep ruts from the storms last winter. Morris Ranch Road is blocked as private property if you try and access it from Sunrise Highway going past the observatory. Miragee and I checked all this out the day prior to our Snail Rock adventure.

Miragee's plan to walk the 0.7 along the PCT is the best plan. The trial is very level with little elevation change and with the group gabbing you'll be at Snail Rock in no time to enjoy the fun :huh:

Note that Google Earth had the roads named differently than MapSource (I'm using MapSource reference for the roads)

Yep, that's the Fred Canyon Road gate that I mentioned to Chuy, with the old van stuck in the creekbed. No problem on a horse by the way.

Most maps have those roads named wrong.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Be there, Aloha!  :P 

Oh yeah...Book 'em Dan-oh!  :P

OK we need a roll call so we don't wait forever at the P&R tomorrow!

So who will be meeting at the P&R tomorrow at 8AM?

So who will be meeting at the P&R tomorrow at 8AM?

I'm planning to be there - but I have to be back here around noon. Has someone picked the cache route for anyone who's running late? Does anyone plan to hit the "Wildwood Glen" cluster on the road near the intersection of 79 and 8?

smilinglady13 is picking me up at the Descanso Park 'n Ride about 8:15 or so. :)

ahimsa, which cluster is that?

I've found all those along there . . . in fact I placed two of them on the east side of Japatul Road south of the 8. They are lonely and would like a visit . . . :P

If you have to leave at noon, maybe we should change the order of the caches and do "Snail Rock" first . . . :P

Anyone know what the weather is going to be doing? I thought it was supposed to be raining today . . . :D

smilinglady13 is picking me up at the Descanso Park 'n Ride about 8:15 or so. :)

ahimsa, which cluster is that?

I've found all those along there . . . in fact I placed two of them on the east side of Japatul Road south of the 8. They are lonely and would like a visit . . . :P

If you have to leave at noon, maybe we should change the order of the caches and do "Snail Rock" first . . . :P

Anyone know what the weather is going to be doing? I thought it was supposed to be raining today . . . :D

Wildwood Glen cluster would refer to caches along and near that old section of Highway 80 including the Ellis Wayside cache, Aubrey's Cache, and so on.