Geocaching Chatrooms

Mandy closed her thread on Clayjar's chat room and I had a few comments to make on the subject so have started this new one.

I have been on that particular chat room a couple of times ... I was the only Brit, there weren't many others there when I visited, but I was treated okay. I've been visiting the Hokesters chat room a few times and it's been fun, but there aren't ever many people there! It needs publicising. What's the best way to do that, any ideas? I would love to be able to have a chat with fellow geocachers "real time" some evenings, when I'm not totally zonked out. Some of us Berks cachers started off an icq group but it would be good to have something a bit more nationwide. The Hokesters have got something in place - how about we rev it up a bit and get more people in the room? ;)

a few people have mentioned they would have liked to add to my thread lianne, i closed it as i did not want it to become a slating match

i feel we both said what needed to be said, and if i left it open i feel they would have all come over and started

i have many more things i would have like to have said but i bit my tongue, because if i hadnt i wouldnt be on this forum now

lets all join in our own chatroom and have fun and a chat with the folks we know, and who are FRIENDLY

M

Guys, it is actually StuartP's chatroom :D I'd love the credit but sadly it ain't mine ;)

With Stuart's help (and LordElph's I think) I created the guide for people to get on without having to set up a piece of IRC software such as mIRC. And I hope that has been useful. I try to bump th topic but am mindful that it can annoy regulars on the board so...

There are a number of ways we could advertise it;

1. Pinned topic

2. Link to the ChatRoom forum topic in our profiles

3. Emailing newbies when they hit your caches (something I know a lot of us already do but had not thought about advertising the chat too)

Any more ideas and thoughts on these?

Simon

Maybe I'll pop in to th UK room, if we can figure out how to work around the language barrier.  ;)

Oxford's concise dictionary would be a good start :D

I know your post is meant in jest, but we British shouldn't have to work around our own language, just because it has been Americanised, doesn't mean it is your language, remember your roots!! :D

Maybe I'll pop in to th UK room, if we can figure out how to work around the language barrier.  ;)

Oxford's concise dictionary would be a good start :D

I know your post is meant in jest, but we British shouldn't have to work around our own language, just because it has been Americanised, doesn't mean it is your language, remember your roots!! :D

I thought RK was telling the truth - wasn't it Winston Churchill who said Britons and Americans were 2 nations divided by a common language ?

:D

civilised

those are the snide kind of comments i wanted to avoid

renegade knight is an american who was in the chatroom last night

M

Sorry not me. I haven't been in a chat room for quite some time.

But I will tell you this. If you though that was snide, then that's exactly the language barrier I was bringing up. There is a quote about the UK and USA. Something like "Two countries divided by a common language". My comment was a take on that. It was intended to be funny. (civilised even picked out the source!)

Edited by Renegade Knight

Renegade Knight definitely was playing on UK humour - guys please let this drop. RK is a useful contributor in the UK forums and I for one do not want to be a party to this argument any more.

I believe Us 4 and Jess was upset last night in the US chat room but it was by the smallest minority. Let's hope that when someone from the US stretches their legs into our chat room we are far more gracious.

Simon ;)

Renegade Knight definitely was playing on UK humour - guys please let this drop. RK is a useful contributor in the UK forums and I for one do not want to be a party to this argument any more.

I believe Us 4 and Jess was upset last night in the US chat room but it was by the smallest minority. Let's hope that when someone from the US stretches their legs into our chat room we are far more gracious.

Simon ;)

Hear hear, think it's time to chill

RK,

If you though that was snide, then that's exactly the language barrier I was bringing up

I took it as funny and not snide as well ;) . Also, I don't go a great deal on this being "our" forum. Personally I welcome those from the U.S., France, Sweden and anywhere else to join in these UK-related threads on the Groundspeak forum. Having just been to the US myself for the first time, I find Americans generally extremely friendly and helpful - with a robust sense of humour and some great caches too, from which I learnt a lot!

HH

i have emailed renegade and apologised for saying his comment was snide i did honestly beleive he was one of the people in the american chatroom the night i had the tiff, but i was obviously mistaken

reading the comment now i have calmed down i can see it was made in jest

if i'm wrong i will admit to it and apologise like i have done,

M

Just to clarify the purpose of this forum. As it says in the title "Talk Geocaching in the United Kingdom." i.e. its purpose is to discuss Geocaching topics particularly relevant to the UK.

It does not imply that contributions be restricted to residents of the UK (and Ireland for that matter). Anyone and everyone from around the Geocaching world are very welcome to read it and to contribute. :(

I hope that you dont bann any one from your chat room. I dont post much in any of the forums but I read just about everything. if I am allowed, I would love to take a look/join/read/listen to your chat room.

You are more than welcome anytime - come and join the fun Mr Chief!

If we can draw a positive from this it has made the chat room more popular of late :lol: